Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

re: It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022
Old 04-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #241
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

down another 1/2 pound from last week and 5 lbs total from thread start. down 8 from my peak obesityness. my stomach is shrinking while my chest and arms are increasing so mostly i'm just shifting weight. went looking for a friend in a bar other day and totally noticed a few heads turn again. very cool when you can turn a head while you have a head of gray hair. also out of the blue one of my neighbors commented on how e.r. seems to be agreeing with me, that i look healthy tanned and relaxed. losing weight is really good for my ego cardiovascular system.

ps targadave, way cool launch pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
And then some! But I'm halving my meal size, trading the brew for a bottle of water, stairs, that type of thing.
bottles of water are excellent way to hydrate. for some reason i drink more water from bottles than i do from a glass. probably from all those earlier years of drinking soda out of cans and beers from bottles. so now i buy those pint sized bottles by the case. fridge is full of'm. also i keep a cooler with six pack of them in the car even for day-long trips.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #242
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

Hey, is your foot supposed to leave the board like that or were you scrambling for control?!? Yikes!

How did you get that photo series-- can that be done with a digital surf camera?
In control but it's a very "old guy" jumping move. The younger hot shots will take the board all the way off and toss it behind their back while mixing in a couple of spins at twice the height.

Those are frame grabs from the movie mode of a basic water resistent digital camera ($250 Pentax) so resolution isn't the greatest but it's a full 30 fps. Camera is mounted on a tripod in about 20 inches of water (why the water looks so flat with 18 knot winds), though with 20 inches it's best to avoid any dive bomb wipe outs. :P

The thrill of all the jumping mixed in with the peacefulness of being out there virtually alone is amazing. A lot of my motivation for loosing weight and staying half way in shape is to keep doing this stuff till I keel over.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:58 AM   #243
Recycles dryer sheets

Dave,that looks AWESOME but what the heck is pullnig you along? It looks like the tow vehicle is above you.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:02 AM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop
Dave,that looks AWESOME but what the heck is pullnig you along? It looks like the tow vehicle is above you.
Yep, my light weight air injected "hemi", or as DW says, my "man toy"
(Sorry for diverting the thread)

[img width=360 height=750]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/targa-dave/IMG_0647.jpg[/img]
Old 04-06-2007, 09:18 AM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
Yep, my light weight air injected "hemi", or as DW says, my "man toy"
(Sorry for diverting the thread)
Just showed my DH this and his response is "I want one, too!"

He wants to know what happens if a big gust of wind comes along? Can it take you away or is there an emergency release of some sort?

OH, and how much does it cost? LOL

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 04-07-2007, 04:48 AM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl
Just showed my DH this and his response is "I want one, too!"

He wants to know what happens if a big gust of wind comes along? Can it take you away or is there an emergency release of some sort?

OH, and how much does it cost? LOL
S-girl, Some info for your DH.

Big gust of wind: that bar you see me holding onto in the close up of the previous post steers and depowers the kite. Like a stunt kite; pull left, kite goes left. Pull the bar in and the kite powers up, let it out and the kite depowers but still stays in the air. In a gust you push the bar out, in a lull you pull the bar in. Just a few years ago kites had very little depower and lousy emergency releases so it was bit more dangerous-challenging to learn but you also gained quick respect for weather-location conditions. New kites today have huge depower range and much better emergency releases. Little red thing between the bar and me is the emergency release. Pop it and the kite looses virtually all power and falls to the water. You are still connected to it so it won't blow away. DW and DD are my launch crew when available and chase vehicle for downwinder trips. Self launching-landing takes more experience.

Cost: one new kite rig, board, harness, helmut, misc, ~$1700-2200 new, ~$800-1300 used
Two kite sizes needed to handle most common wind ranges. You can stuff everything in one golf bag for airline travel. Was just at the 3rd Ave launch by San Manteo bridge this last week (not a beginner spot).

Always (no exceptions) take professional lessons to get started.
Best to learn in safe locations (steady moderate winds, waist deep water with soft bottom, lots of clear downwind space, no boats or strong currents, gusty inland lakes not so good). Like many sports you can make it as safe or as dangerous as you want. I see 60 and even 70 yr kiteboarders all time now. Outer Banks and South Padre Island are two of the best learning locations in the States. These shots are soundside in Nags Head.

There are endless fun little tricks even us older wimps can learn. Here is a onehanded 540 deg back spin move I taught myself in the last few months. About 20-50 interesting wipeouts to learn each new trick. Always a great workout and way more fun than the treadmill at the Y (which is what I'm stuck with today). :P
OK, back to the regularly scheduled weight loss program or I will babble on forever about this.
[img width=750 height=562]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/targa-dave/SequenceSet2.jpg[/img]
Old 04-07-2007, 06:32 AM   #247
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very Cool, Dave! I have a friend who teaches, but the closest I've ever gotten was helping untangle a huge mess of kite string one night at a party! They do a lot of it on the beaches here, and I'll second the professional lessons!
Sarah

Old 04-07-2007, 07:48 AM   #248

Wow TargaDave, that is so cool. Even I would be interested in trying it! LOL. I doubt I have the arm strength, though. DH definitely will be trying out a lesson for this in the future. Perhaps in the very near future...might be doing an Outer Banks trip this summer

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 04-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #249

Dave,
You make it look easy. Glad you told us about the 20-50 wipeouts per new trick. I have friends learning this and have seen others doing it in the last year at resorts. It is way cool. Glad you explained about the depowering bar and the emergency pull. I had been wondering how far these guys could fly in the right conditions, and what landing on treetops would look like... :P

Just discovered this thread -- midway through my own battle with 10 pounds that appeared while having Dec holidays and a back injury. Have gotten three of them off but the rest are not responding to the usual treatments, but hoping the warm weather will help. Have one of those scales that Trombone Al has with decimal readouts. Drink a glass of water and see your weight go up...
Old 04-11-2007, 07:42 AM   #250

I'm down another 2lbs for a total loss of 4lbs. I only have another 2 lbs to make it to my first target of losing 6lbs by my birthday. Overall I have another 20lbs to go.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:49 AM   #251
Recycles dryer sheets

Further evidence that diet alone does NOT work. Another static week at 328. Got to get back into the gym.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #252
Give me a forum ...

Well I was feeling depressed about not being under 160 yet, but then I realized my last post was at 164lbs! So 160.5 feels a lot better! Easter was a derailer in a big way, but there is no way I'd miss Mom's sweet potatoes and sister's coconut cake! Been at the gym every day but Easter, and just doggin' it every day!

Congrats to Dangermouse on your goals met so far!

Well, BOP, sometimes you spend a week at one weight, then it suddenly drops--think good thoughts!

Hope this is a great week for everyone--if you haven't tried HIIT (high intensity interval training) as part of your workout, give it a try! It is a big-time calorie burner! I've been doing it on the bike and the elliptical this week, and WHEW! I do 15 seconds at full bore all out effort and then 45 seconds at an easy pace, for 15 minutes at a time. Awesome!

Sarah

Old 04-11-2007, 09:05 AM   #253
Give me a forum ...

S.H.I.T. - super high-intensity training

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #254

Every inch your waist is above 32 you need to lose 5 lbs.

Without dumping all over me again do the math.

Measure your own waist.

If you have a 40" waist wouldn't you feel better dropping 40 lbs? 50" @ 90 lbs. ?35"@ 15 lbs.?

This is a better indicator of health than the BMI.

Height doesn't matter.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here retiredbop but measure your waist, do the math and estimate your ideal weight.

Abdominal weight is a killer. You don't HAVE to hit 32" but I'm sure you would look and feel better at 33" or 34".

Looking at a really fit guy and measuring around the belly button he won't be much more than 32 no matter how tall he is.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #255

I recently saw Dr Oz and his mate on Oprah when they did an episode on why we need to do something about obesity. I think they were touting a maximum of a 32" waist for a female and 34" for a male. Anything larger and you are prone to all kinds of disease.

Sarah WTG on seeing 160. I think it is important that we focus on the positives, every 1/2 pound moves us closer to our goals. I will try that HIT this week and see how I go.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #256
Give me a forum ...

[quote=Zipper ]
Every inch your waist is above 32 you need to lose 5 lbs.

Without dumping all over me again do the math.

Measure your own waist.

If you have a 40" waist wouldn't you feel better dropping 40 lbs? 50" @ 90 lbs. ?35"@ 15 lbs.?

This is a better indicator of health than the BMI.

Height doesn't matter.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here retiredbop but measure your waist, do the math and estimate your ideal weight.

Abdominal weight is a killer. You don't HAVE to hit 32" but I'm sure you would look and feel better at 33" or 34".

Looking at a really fit guy and measuring around the belly button he won't be much more than 32 no matter how tall he is.

I'm 6'7" and 159lbs. My waist is 34". Does that mean I need to lose 5lbs? BMI: 17.9 Fat %: 7.5
Old 04-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #257

Aaron, no, it's a general guide for abdominal fat. You do NOT want to pack weight around your middle.

You WANT to get as close to 32 as you can.

I'm 5'9" and 155lbs. and have a 32" waist.

You could bulk up with weight training and pack on some muscle. You might want to have your BMI investigated.

As Dangermouse said, going beyond 34" causes problems.

Believe me, I'm just the messenger here. Belly fat is not good and the less the better.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:03 AM   #258

Another good week for me, down 1lb even with the stress as of late.

Everyone is doing well, even if you don't lose for that particular week you're monitoring yourself and that helps to keep things from getting out of control.

I make it point to either watch or tape Oprah when Dr Oz is on. I've also bought the book You On a Diet, it's very interesting and an easy read on how the body works. I'm about half way through it and hoping I can entice dh to read it.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Old 04-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #259

I haven't been participating in this Wednesday weigh-in thread because I'm constantly adjusting my bodyweight through heavy weight training and cardio.

I went from 188 to 200 pounds from January 1st through February 28th. Waist went from 32" to 34".

Over the past six weeks or so, I've gone from 200 pounds to 194 pounds, virtually all of that weight loss being body fat. Strength level in the gym has actually gone up about 20-30% since I started dieting down slowly.

Waist went from 34" to 33" so far, and I hope to be approximately 187-188 pounds by the time my wedding rolls around in late-May.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 04-14-2007, 07:46 AM   #260
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Every inch your waist is above 32 you need to lose 5 lbs...Height doesn't matter...I'm not trying to be a jerk here retiredbop but measure your waist, do the math and estimate your ideal weight.
LOL, zipper, I've been working prisons WAY too long to worry about words. However, this is just another one of those indicators for average people. I have never been average.

I graduated Parris Island (USMC boot camp) at 210 lbs with a measured body fat content of only 10%, a 48" chest and a 34" waist. I had to be measured because the MetLife charts the Corps was using back then said that at 6'2" I should not way more than 197 lbs MAX. In fact, for my entire service I had to be measured monthly because I never went below that 210. Most of the time I was at 220-225 lbs with measured body fat of only 12-13%, a 50" chest and a 36" waist. Short of competitive bodybuilding, that's pretty darned good. And I don't think you'll find too many civilians in better shape than your average US Marine.

Every diet, every weight loss plan, every height/weight chart, and every other widget we come up with pertaiing to body weight and fat content should include the disclaimer, "This is based upon AVERAGE data. As each individual is different these numbers may not be correct for you personally. You must find what works for you individually."

Thanks to the Marine Corps I know EXACTLY what my ideal weight should be. Will I ever get there? I don't know. But I'll be pretty happy with anything that gives me a 36-38" waist under a 50" chest again. Probably under 240 lbs.
Closed Thread