Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #2841
Full time employment: Posting here.

Weighed in yesterday, and despite the holiday craziness am down another 1.5 lbs. More importantly, this brings me down to the 200 lb mark -- a 2/3 goal for me. Whoo-hoo! Only 1/3 more of the way to go.....

Congrats to all, even you, BTravelin. The medical/liquid diet you're on sounds like it's for good reasons. Hope you feel better soon!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #2842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Btravlin - I don't fancy your diet plan at all. I hope you recover, healthwise, and manage to hang onto much of that enforced weight loss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Congrats to all, even you, BTravelin. The medical/liquid diet you're on sounds like it's for good reasons. Hope you feel better soon!
Thanks guys, I do appreciate it. Almost back to normal and eating just about everything again. The surgery seems to have done the trick, I'm sleeping much more soundly and waking well rested instead of tired with a headache. I never knew you could draw so much air in through the nose - it's absolutely amazing! And, as an added bonus, my DW is sleeping much better because I no longer snore!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #2843
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I gained a pound and I know the culprit . It was chips . You can not tempt me with cake ,candy or cookies but chips do me in . The bag is now gone so hopefully I'll do better .
Mr B loves chips. And cookies. And more cookies. We keep his goodies in a wicker basket on the peninsula counter. And of course he gains no weight.

It is ALL I can do not to have any. Maybe I should put a cloth over them so I am not visually tempted.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #2844
Give me a forum ...

I think with the new year I'll join in. I'm a relapsed lifetime member of WW. I've gone back and lost 15 pounds so far. I am doing much, much better on the new program (lost 6.5 pounds from Thanksgiving to New Years on the new program which is really good for me).

Anyway, I'll use my official previous Saturday WW weigh in.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #2845
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I think with the new year I'll join in. I'm a relapsed lifetime member of WW. I've gone back and lost 15 pounds so far. I am doing much, much better on the new program (lost 6.5 pounds from Thanksgiving to New Years on the new program which is really good for me).

Anyway, I'll use my official previous Saturday WW weigh in.

Welcome to Wednesday weigh in ! There are several WW followers on here .
Old 01-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #2846
Administrator

Welcome to the thread Meow

Sounds like you have been doing geat. Well done.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #2847

I read somewhere that success requires setting a goal, recording progress and making the effort public, so here I am! I'm a 58 yr old male, 5'10" tall. Twelve days ago I started at 214 lbs. Today I weighed in at 206. For my height I guess I'm supposed to weigh 175 lbs. Seems pretty low to me!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #2848
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post
I read somewhere that success requires setting a goal, recording progress and making the effort public, so here I am! I'm a 58 yr old male, 5'10" tall. Twelve days ago I started at 214 lbs. Today I weighed in at 206. For my height I guess I'm supposed to weigh 175 lbs. Seems pretty low to me!
Other than dehydration, to what do you attribute this 8 lb loss? How did you do it?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #2849
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations everyone! Losing weight and maintaining the loss takes a lot of work and attention and self control. You guys are doing great.

Ha
Old 01-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #2850
Administrator

Quote:
Welcome to the thread

If I may make a suggestion, why not set your initial target at losing 10% of your initial weight, which is no mean feat. May be a target weight of 190, which is an impressive 24lbs.

If you can then maintain that weight for a few weeks, set a new target of 175 and strive for that.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Ha,
Thanks for the encouragement
Old 01-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #2851
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Other than dehydration, to what do you attribute this 8 lb loss? How did you do it?
Typically in the first couple of weeks of a weight loss program there will be some true weight loss and then some loss of water weight.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #2852
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Typically in the first couple of weeks of a weight loss program there will be some true weight loss and then some loss of water weight.
Yeah, I stated it clumsily. I was interested more in what method he was using/following.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #2853

Quote:
Welcome to the thread!

And, yeah, it does seem low but I'm 5'11" and have seen some health sites say I should weigh 164!?!?!?

I think Alan's suggestion to set an intermediate goal is a good idea.

Good luck on reaching your goals.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 AM   #2854

RonBoyd - Here's what I'm doing:
* mainly eating one serving, chewing it slowly & savoring every bite
* avoiding sweets, bread, & pasta
* switched to peanuts in the shell for snacking
* but, hardest of all gave up the good beer ... settling for Amstel Light and Corona Light!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #2855
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi All - new to this, need some accountability so I thought participating here would help. Some background: used to love weight lifting until arthritis made it almost impossible, top weight here was around 220lbs, migrated over to competitive cycling (road racing mainly), at peak got down to 165-170lbs, felt very light for being 6'2", fast forward a couple of years and a couple of surgeries later, as of today, I am 198lbs. Started training again, may try to race at the end of the season (old guy categories, 45+) but that will depend on fitness and weight loss. Would like to get back to 180lbs by Spring, then try to drop the last 10-15lbs over the summer.

Anyway, glad to be here!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #2856
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
* but, hardest of all gave up the good beer ... settling for Amstel Light and Corona Light!
Well, Amstel is still better than any of the American premium beers. Even in deprivation you are living well.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #2857
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, good for you.

So it is the Carb reduction that is doing it for you.

Beer has a two-pronged attack on weight loss, BTW. It is pretty high-carb (even the low-carb kind) and contains alcohol. Of the four Food Groups (Fats, Proteins, Carbohydrates, Alcohol), the body uses Alcohol (no nutritional value) first; requiring unused calories (and their nutrition) to be stored (as body fat). Fortunately, in small amounts (a beer or two?) this doesn't matter... particularly when combined with the overall reduction in Carb intake but still needs to be taken into consideration.

Of related interest may be this thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ook-53894.html
Old 01-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #2858
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera View Post
Hi All - new to this, need some accountability so I thought participating here would help. Some background: used to love weight lifting until arthritis made it almost impossible, top weight here was around 220lbs, migrated over to competitive cycling (road racing mainly), at peak got down to 165-170lbs, felt very light for being 6'2", fast forward a couple of years and a couple of surgeries later, as of today, I am 198lbs. Started training again, may try to race at the end of the season (old guy categories, 45+) but that will depend on fitness and weight loss. Would like to get back to 180lbs by Spring, then try to drop the last 10-15lbs over the summer.

Anyway, glad to be here!
Glad you could join us, I look forward to hearing how you progress
Old 01-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #2859
Give me a forum ...

177.5 Nov 2008
181 Dec 31 - Maximum 2008 weight
173.5 Dec 23 Lowest 2009 weight
168.5 Feb 23 Lowest 2010 weight
182 Nov 26 Post turkey day weight gain
183.5 Nov 30 Argh
182 Dec 22
184 Jan 12, 2011
182 Jan 18 Early reporting to claim the 2 lb loss while it lasts

Short Term Goal - 170 lbs and maintaining all through 2011
Long Term Goal - 165 lbs for 2012
High school weight 135 lbs senior year, running track
Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #2860
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Early reporting to claim the 2 lb loss while it lasts
.....sssshhh, don't worry, I won't tell....
Closed Thread