Join Early Retirement Today

Re: It's Wednesday weigh ins!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:12 AM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No change this week but I consider that a victory, not gaining is a good thing.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:01 AM   #282
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hey I broke under 210 yesterday, 209!

Remodling, getting a cold and not having time to eat, all in the same weekend is sure a great weight loss plan. Maybe not healthy, but I lost a few lbs. Now the real challenge... keep it off.

-CC

Old 04-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave

I'll say the same about 32". No way, no how. 32" was my teen waist, 33" my college jock waist, 35-38" my gettin older waist. Finally back at 33" and that's fine with me.

Oops, were we aiming at 32"? Now I'm really not sure how I'm going there -- that sounds like my waist when I was about 13 years old... Well, its something to aim for. Congrats on getting to 33"! How tall are you? Maybe I'm just complacent about too much padding around my middle and seat, but I think the hip-bones are defining an arc that is already going to be bigger than 32". (Does this sound like the late stages of denial?)
Old 04-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #284
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse

OKL, where did you lose the inches from? Did you measure all over before you started?
Waist, which is all I've been measuring.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #285

Just got out the MetLife table for ideal weight, and measured the elbow with calipers to see that I am 'Medium Frame" etc. http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

Really depressing. More denial. Especially when they tell you these weights are calculated with 5 pounds of 'indoor clothing and shoes" on, so they should really be 5 pounds less. Now I'm looking like I need to go down 20 pounds from my peak, 16 pounds from current. If I did that, I might just get the 32" waist after all!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #286
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
Really depressing. More denial. Especially when they tell you these weights are calculated with 5 pounds of 'indoor clothing and shoes" on, so they should really be 5 pounds less.
That fills my head with cognitive dissonance.

I can appreciate that lower weights generally put less stress on a body and could lead to longer life, but it's also for people who are almost 20 years younger than me. I see no survival advantage in those body types during tae kwon do sparring...

I'm sticking with waist measurements!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #287

It's 32" for females and for men it's 34".

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:33 AM   #288
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I had one little secret other than all the standard stuff ... it's the mental part of getting used to being hungry
I also think this is important. "Hunger is my friend."
Old 04-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #289
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just got out the MetLife table for ideal weight, and measured the elbow with calipers to see that I am 'Medium Frame" etc. http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

Really depressing. More denial. Especially when they tell you these weights are calculated with 5 pounds of 'indoor clothing and shoes" on, so they should really be 5 pounds less. Now I'm looking like I need to go down 20 pounds from my peak, 16 pounds from current. If I did that, I might just get the 32" waist after all!
Those are pretty light weights.

Ha
Old 04-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
It's 32" for females and for men it's 34".
OK, thx for the clarification. I can work with that.

PS: I do have one trick I stumbled on over the years. Take a multi-vitamin when you want to lose weight. Turns out at least for me that sometimes I'm light on some type of trace mineral and I spend lots of time picking up spare calories grazing away in the pantry. If I take a multivitamin I have noticed many times now that the grazing urge is gone. Hope this helps others! Now if I can just remember to take the darn thing myself every day... Gotta do it on a full stomach, which means there aren't too many times I can take it. Hunger is a pita friend, Al!
Old 04-23-2007, 05:38 AM   #291
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I think those charts are almost silly. I'm 6 ft and the only way I can get down in the lower 160's or even 150's is to loose a lot of muscle along with any remaining fat. No interest in doing that. Weighed 158 one summer during college when I was scuba diving 5 days a week in 55 deg water. That's it.

Someone was posting here about 32" being the ideal waist for all men regardless of height-build. I agree that 34" is a much more realisitic number.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:47 AM   #292
Give me a forum ...

Remember that when taking the "ideal" waist measurement, you get to suck in your gut!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:04 AM   #293
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Remember that when taking the "ideal" waist measurement, you get to suck in your gut!!
Hey, that makes a significant difference.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl
Uggh. Not doing so well here. I missed last week due to being out of town again. I'm up another pound to 132. However, my tape measurements are all still the same. I've still been working out, and I've increased my arm weights.

I'm trying not to get too discouraged here. I have to remember that I'm not overweight (I'm 5'4" and my weight range is supposed to be between 116 and 140). My goal is to get in great shape, but it sure is hard to "lose those last 10 pounds" as they say (especially when that's where you are starting out from). Geeze, I sound like I am making excuses. LOL. Anyways, I am going to keep doing what I am doing and just try to be satisfied if I maintain between 130 and 132.

Great job everyone else!!!
Thanks for all the encouragement from everyone last week! I'm back down one pound to 131.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:37 AM   #295

Nothng happening here this week. Two weeks without a loss. I will have to step it up next week to get over this plateau.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #296
Recycles dryer sheets

Down 1 lb to 324. OTOH, that is now 54 pounds in the 54 weeks since my shoulder surgery. At this rate I won't see my ideal for another year and a half.

I wonder what I'll do when all of you have hit your ideals and this thread folds?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:00 AM   #297
Recycles dryer sheets

Lost an inch off my waist --that cardio's really kicking in this week. Started on strength training yesterday so we'll see how that goes. no significant "weight loss" (I've been fluctuating in a one pound band all week) but it's blatantly obvious that I'm gaining muscle and losing volume, so I'm a happy camper. Gonna go hit the driving range for a bit at lunch, weather permitting (we're getting t-storms at some point this afternoon). My interim goal is to get through 9 holes without embarassing myself too terribly, which means I've got work to do on both stamina and swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop

I wonder what I'll do when all of you have hit your ideals and this thread folds?
You won't be completely alone--I gotta have somebody to keep me honest when I get into maintenance--and I expect I've got at least another 8-9 months to my goal weight.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #298

Don't worry, RetiredBOP, if you'll stick around after you retire, I'll stick around after I reach my goal weight! Like OK, I need someone to keep me honest! And listen, 54 lbs in 54 weeks is good, really good! And consistent, over time, just like investing, it is slow and steady wins the race! Great job!

Down another pound to 157. I hurt my back on Sunday and I've just been doing stretches the past two days at the gym, hoping to be back to full speed on Thursday. Getting old sucks, I tell 'ya!

Sarah ...just got some size 10 jeans...long way from those size 18s....

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #299
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I'll be here keeping folks honest for a LONG time.

Sarah, 18 to 10, GOOD ON YA! That's impressive.

I told myself that at 300 I will buy all new uniforms, and probably again at 250. The important thing is that I can still hit my 225 goal before I retire, even at just one lb per week.

Keep working ladies.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:35 AM   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
Down another pound to 157.
One more lb down, to 156. Had some struggles this week, as I'm beginning to panic about my Estate Planning exam at the end of the month and would like to feed the anxiety with bad stuff! One interesting tidbit, I now weigh less than I did when we got married, 14 years ago! Hope everyone has a productive week!

BOP, I never was motivated by clothes, but when you get those new uniforms at 300, it will be amazing--one pound a week is all you need! Keep up the good eating and workouts--my new mantra is T-Al's "hunger is my friend"! I love it!
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote