Join Early Retirement Today

Re: It's Wednesday weigh ins!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #301
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sarah, congrats on reaching your before marriage weight. Good luck with your exam, always remember they want you to pass so if you have done your homework you will be ok. On the flipside, if you do fail, what is the worse thing that can happen - you will have to retake it? Not like you will have to part with a limb or part of your stash. I went thru similar thoughts with one of my exams a few years ago and realised in the big picture of life it wasn't the most important thing.

No movement here. I have been out of exercise action the past 2 weeks due to an injury, will hit the treadmill again tomorrow and hopefully get that number reducing slowly but surely.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #302
Recycles dryer sheets

lost 3/4". workouts went generally good, but skipped yesterday's PM workout (weights) and postponed (at least) today's morning walk, as I woke up with some congestion in my chest, and I didn't want to risk turning allergies into bronchitis by driving it down further. Forcing fluids and taking allergy meds, so hopefully I'll adjust to whatever's blooming by this evening and will be able to make up the walk after work. Weight dropped about a pound and a half, though I'm not tracking that as closely.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:14 PM   #303
Moderator Emeritus

Submitted in the gender-neutral spirit of how susceptible we all are to marketing psychology. Not, of course, that it's ever happened to me.

My favorite quote: "It doesn't matter," he says. "We're all tricked by our environment, even when we 'know it.' That's why it's easier to change our environment than our minds."

OK, great. I'll eat more broccoli & yogurt after surfing.

"Why We Eat Too Much"

(This printer-friendly format avoids five pages of ads. Cancel the print-request window if it pops up.)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:28 PM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl
Thanks for all the encouragement from everyone last week! I'm back down one pound to 131.
Well, down another pound to 130. I guess my new job is working my butt off, literally!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC
One interesting tidbit, I now weigh less than I did when we got married, 14 years ago! Hope everyone has a productive week!
Sarah
Congratulations!!!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 05-09-2007, 08:08 AM   #306
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE
Still 213 lbs. of pure pain.

Dropped a few, then gained it back.

Start of the "exercise season" is upon us. That should help shave the pounds.

-CC
Wow, down to 207 today. Less eating, more exercise and a bathroom remodel really helps shave the pounds.

-CC

Edit: can't spell.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #307

Wow, the exercise season is seriously upon us! CCdaCE, I"ll be sure to let DH know that working around the house drops serious weight! Congrats!
And good going Simple Girl--I think a new bathing suit is in order soon!

Nords, that was fascinating reading. I always laugh when I drive past the Burger King on my way home from the gym, they put out some flame-broiled smell around that time of day to lure in the hungry commuters!

Last night I told the trainer I wanted to develop some new goals as we are nearing our goal weights, and he took that to mean I'd like for him to KILL ME with exercise! I can't raise my arms today!

We are looking to benchmark our body fat percentage and start working that down next. Anybody got suggestions on buying calipers? We are also going to be working on more strength-training goals--I want be able to do unassisted pull-ups and floor pushups! Good to have more goals in the works!

Sarah ....down to 154, just 9 lbs to go!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #308
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl
Well, down another pound to 130. I guess my new job is working my butt off, literally!
Oh damn! I always hate it when a woman on a diet starts losing butt. Anywhere else go right ahead, but ladies please hang on to your lovely behinds.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Oh damn! I always hate it when a woman on a diet starts losing butt. Anywhere else go right ahead, but ladies please hang on to your lovely behinds.

Trust me, I can spare a pound or two there! LOL. Anyways, put 1# back on this week, back to 131#. Maintaining in the same range, so I'm happy with that, given that I had ice cream and smoked sausage at the local May festival last weekend!

Old 05-10-2007, 05:46 AM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
4/18/07 172# (trying to stay between 171 and 174) Switching back from light beer to real beer to up the calories a bit
5/10/07 173.2# Haven't checked in for awhile due to travel. Enjoying the real beer. Noticing fewer posters
Old 05-11-2007, 12:09 AM   #311

Congrats to all those who have continued to lose the lbs. Sarah, I can not believe how fast you are closing in on your target.

For the 3rd week in a row no loss to report. I did have an injury which limited my workouts plus it was birthday season so too many glasses of red wine and good food have prevented my progress. However, I am back on track and hoping to report a loss next week.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #312

Quote:
Wow, the exercise season is seriously upon us! CCdaCE, I"ll be sure to let DH know that working around the house drops serious weight! Congrats!

<snip>
Good idea, I'm sure he'll appreciate your insight.

The only advice I have to offer after reading a few of your remarks is... make it a lifestyle change in order to sustain your "new, lower weight". If you lose "a bunch", make sure you keep up your routine or you'll "dishearteningly" gain some back. For instance, TargaDave says he hasn't been able to lose much, but it's all pointless if he "totally cuts out all beer drinking" for a month in an effort to lose weight, then gets sick of it and "falls off the wagon" and starts pounding the hi-cal. beers again, and bounces up in weight.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious.

Disclaimer: By putting stuff in quotes I'm trying to not offend any others, or you, by saying what is the "right" weight or what is "a lot" of weight to lose. (I'm such a suckup? -- or is it the fact that I know its a very touchy subject for some women). *cough* Wife *cough*.

-CC
Old 05-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #313

CC, I agree entirely. I know that after I get this weight off, I am going to have to be more vigilant to make sure it does not come back on. If I do start regaining, it's easier to lose 1 or 2 lbs rather than 25lbs which takes forever.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
CC, I agree entirely. I know that after I get this weight off, I am going to have to be more vigilant to make sure it does not come back on. If I do start regaining, it's easier to lose 1 or 2 lbs rather than 25lbs which takes forever.
The best advice/perspective I've ever heard is:

"Don't expect to lose weight 'overnight', think about how long it took you to gain it."

At the same time, I drive myself nuts occasionally if I'm monitoring the 1-5 lb. gain, so it's good not to be too vigilant.

-CC
Old 05-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #315
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't posted to this thread before, but wanted to send a "thanks" to whoever it was recommended "Body for Life" when I inquired about resources for exercise routines in a different thread. The book has a lot of motivational jargon, but the structured weight lifting routine is just what I was looking for

Since February I've lost 12-13 lbs & added a bunch of muscle mass, while not really dieting or denying myself (eating habits have improved since ER in January, the lunch hour often passes unnoticed, & we don't keep junk stuff around to mindlessly consume like I did at work).

More proof that ER is good for you!
Old 05-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #316

Thanks to all of you who have been such great motivation to keep up my diet and exercise routine. I am awaiting the arrival by mail of my new body fat calipers and will develop some new goals relating to body composition.

I hope that our lifestyle changes are sustainable and that we have made a permanent change for the better in eating, exercising and general health. We have discovered some moderation in our eating and drinking habits that are probably for the best in the long run--and developed a taste for fresh, healthy foods. Thanks again to all who have been so kind and supportive; I wish good health and reaching your goal weight to all of you!

Sarah @ 153...not long now til I can buy that bathing suit...

Old 05-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #317

Quote:
Thanks to all of you who have been such great motivation to keep up my diet and exercise routine. I am awaiting the arrival by mail of my new body fat calipers and will develop some new goals relating to body composition.

I hope that our lifestyle changes are sustainable and that we have made a permanent change for the better in eating, exercising and general health. We have discovered some moderation in our eating and drinking habits that are probably for the best in the long run--and developed a taste for fresh, healthy foods. Thanks again to all who have been so kind and supportive; I wish good health and reaching your goal weight to all of you!

Sarah @ 153...not long now til I can buy that bathing suit...
Woo-hoo! Way to go girl! How exciting to be getting near new bathing suit time! Let us know how you like the calipers. I may need to invest in a pair myself.

I'm back up 1# to 131, but happy to be maintaining in my 130-131 range

Old 05-16-2007, 11:36 PM   #318

Sarah, that weight is just falling off your body. WTG girl, keep at it.

SimpleGirl, maybe your body is happy to be at its current range? A pound or two is not too distressing.

I have plateaued at my 5lb loss. I know I need to change up my exercise routine, so will work on that. What is pleasing is that same 5lbs has not found its way back onto my body over the past few weeks.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #319
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ok - I'm in. I haven't read all 22 pages of back posts, but I think I get the point. An online support group can't hurt!

I'm 40, male, 5 ft, 5 in, 215 lbs. BMI about 36. I'd like to get the BMI under 30, so I am targeting 175-180.

I've read lots of books on glycemic index, exercise, etc. The problem is simply fitting in the exercise in the middle of a busy day. There is a gym in the office tower I work in, and I have started taking long walks in the park on the weekends. I also tend to use food to help with stress.

I hope regularly posting here will help keep me more focused and on track, with a bit less "extra" eating and a bit more regular aerobic exercise.

One extra question: does anyone here have experience with the ROM exercise machine? Yes, the one on the infomercials that Tony Robbins likes. I don't want to fall for some infomercial, but it did seem interesting.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #320

Welcome Jeffrey! Some of us may have fallen off the wagon and quit posting their weight each week, but there are a few of us left!
Simple Girl, don't buy the calipers!
I am madder than a wet hen! I mean, I'm not happy that it says I'm 30% BF, but I'm OUTRAGED that DH is 13%! So we're trying some different calipers on Thursday just in case the trainer messed up the measurements. I'm very bitter today, but should be happy that I weigh 150 lbs now, only 5 lbs to goal weight...but still bitter about the BF!
Started some major new workout stuff that is apparently designed to make my arms fall off! New goals: 10 floor pushups, 2 unassisted pullups, and get the BF% down below 25, dangit!
Sarah