Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

wow sarah, body fat calipers. now that's serious. i just settle for my tanita electric fat monitor, probably not as accurate as calipers but i figure it gives me decent relative information over time.

i've been holding at 215 but i've gotten three comments recently on my body including one from a friend who is so much more likely to bust my chops about being too fat and another asking how often i work out. (now that's progress when someone asks you that.) i've got my legs in great shape, upper body is coming along nicely. shoulders looking excellent. but i'm still wearing a lot of those depression period cookies around my waist. my chest is almost bigger than my belly and i'm crunching 140 lbs during 4 sets of 12 reps on my abs almost every day plus 90 lbs on my obliques so at least there's form under this fat. i'm confident at least that if i still have a bit of a tummy that i also have good support to carry it.

i'm really glad to be taking care of this now and getting my bod back. my brother, who also put on a lot of weight while we watched mom die is also trying to get back into shape but with his own business to run and a family of 5 his progress has been much slower than mine. also he's got three years on me and wow, this was much easier 10 years ago.

in any case, i'm gonna be buff by 51. these will be the buff 50s. what's next, hair dye?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2007, 11:10 AM   #322
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Right on, Lazy! Not too lazy, all that belly work! Yeah, I feel like if you could see under this layer of beer, the abs would be amazing!

My OCD personality can take this stuff to a bad level, and since I got the calipers, I am harassing DH to keep pinching me with them! I've now got it telling me 25%, but his skinny-a%% chicken wing legs must be the killer, as his BF% is still 13%.

It is awesome when people ask you how often you work out--and it is a bit mortifying when strangers come up at the gym and say wow, you look great! You are doing great, not-so-Lazy! Take your measurements and keep track of your progress that way, too--sometimes that shows more than the scale!

And hey, I'm down to 149 lbs today--after an endless time (it seemed) at 150. I bought a new size 6 dress yesterday and a new 2-piece bathing suit (well, a tankini, but still--2 piece!)

Old 05-30-2007, 11:18 AM   #323

WTG Sarah!!!

I just joined "Curves" (I refer to it as a "chick gym" - and have been pleased with the overall workout) - but it is soooo convenient on my way home. I just need to get to the point where pain from my fun adventure days does not last for days! (shoulder injury last year kept me from softball & volleyball leagues last year - and I feel squishy these days)

Keep up the "losing" folks
Old 05-31-2007, 09:28 PM   #324

WTG Sarah, those last 10 lbs have flown off you.

I am still at the same miserable 5 lbs. I know I have not been working out enough, I need to add some weights. I did have some minor surgery a month ago which slowed my down. The positive side is I have not gained back any of the 5lbs I lost, even when I was at my laziest. I hope to get clearance to step up my workouts by mid month and get rid of some more of this excess weight.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:16 AM   #325

OK, I know it isn't Wednesday, but I finally lost the 10 lbs I wanted to lose this morning's scale says, and only 4 bonus/stretch goal pounds left to go to get to my MetLife Number. And that is with having a beer and fish-n-chips with Nords, Brewer and BUM on Tuesday --(a great lunch, btw -- anybody should fly Nords in from Hawaii for a visit -- the guy is great!)

I sorta kinda cheated though to get those last two pounds to go away -- eating one light meal a day for the past two days, plus plenty of juice.. I wonder if when I go back to the Hagen Dasz bars if the pounds will come back, too?

On the other hand, maybe I'm on the verge of inventing a new breakthrough -- the No-Calorie Diet ;-)
Old 06-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #326
Give me a forum ...

Super cool on joining Curves, Fireup--I joined once before, but just didn't want "it" bad enough to go as often as I should have, but it is a good start to getting into shape.
Dangermouse, some weeks it is the not-gaining that matters--I've hit some major plateaus over the last six months and understand! Weight training is awesome, and makes me feel strong!
ESRBob, that is awesome, but you shouldn't have starved to reach it--not that I won't do the same thing when I get a couple of pounds closer to goal weight.

I wanted to share my experience with the Bod Pod body fat/body composition testing done on Friday.

We had the test done at The Citadel here in Charleston, for $40 each. You need to have a tight-fitting lycra bathing suit, they provide a swim cap. Men can borrow their lycra shorts for the test. It started with height & weight check (did I get shorter?) and then the machine is calibrated before you enter. Those of you old enough to remember Mork and Mindy--the egg looks just like the one Robin Williams had! It takes 3 minutes inside the egg (which has a big window, so no claustraphobia).

The results were interesting: I purchased digital calipers to test with originally, which our trainer used to test us. The calipers registered a 30% BF for me, and the Bod Pod registered the same 30% BF. But on my husband (who has chicken legs that must have "thrown off" the 3 site skinfold test), the calipers had registered a hard-to-believe 13%. The Bod Pod registered 18%BF for him, a more believable number.

We will do a follow up in 6 months, hoping to drop 5% in that time. It was worthwhile to have a proper benchmark from which to operate--not unlike knowing your starting weight and then measuring as you lose weight. The science is much more appealing than the simplistic BMI numbers, which don't account for how much lean v/s fat you have.

Sarah

Old 06-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #327

Fireup, how are your workouts going at Curves? Are you enjoying them?

Bob, how long did it take you to lose your weight?

Sarah, you've made me want to look into getting some body fat testing done as it sounds fascinating. Not sure if I could cope with the number though. My scales tell me my body fat is about 32%, even though my BMI is in an acceptable range.

I'm now down about 6.5lbs which is pleasing. I hit my first target, a month behind schedule but the main thing is I hit it. I have another 11 lbs to go to my next target, and 3 months to do it, which seems realistic.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #328

Sarah-- congrats on the new outfits and keep having fun with the calipers. My scale gives me a number but since it doesn't change much I don't pay much attention to it.

Dangermouse -- took me about 3 months to lose 9-10 pounds. I'm not sure if that is normal or not but that was my progress, once winter ended and my bad back let me get out and do more exercise. I do think the warm weather really helps me eat lighter and keep it off.

Had another weigh-in this morning holding stable at my 179 point something which means the last reading was not a fluke, and I'm going to get down there to my Met Life number this summer for sure (175) .

I do have a lingering sense of loss, though, for all the nibbling I might want to do. It reminds me a little bit of LBYM -- you could buy stuff, but you realize you shouldn't or can't if you're going to keep to your budget. I could eat stuff and really enjoy it, but I have this calorie budget to keep to... I hope that doesn't sound really depressing! In the same way FI can be liberating, I hope to find the 'zen' of sensible eating and keep the weight off without having it feel like a huge sacrifice...
Old 06-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #329

Hmmm..... frustration here....
Just went to check the MetLife tables again to see my goal (6'1, Medium Frame, 174 lbs is the high end of my range). Then I notice the footnote at the bottom that this number assumes you're wearing 5 lbs of clothes, too! I can get from my current 179 to 174 at my current rate, but I don't know if I can go another 5 pounds after that to cover clothes. That would be downright gaunt... Anybody else having 'issues' with the MetLife tables?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #330
Give me a forum ...

Bob, that is why I went to the body fat % as a gauge of health--the weight is just so subjective, especially now that I am doing a lot more resistance training and weight training in addition to the cardio. My focus is now on gaining lean muscle mass and losing body fat, which may not translate into "really skinny". I'm 147.5 today, BTW (naked)! My Met Life range is 133-147 lbs, assuming a medium frame and 3 lbs of clothing.

I also found your comments interesting about LBYM and dieting--I've seen that when I applied the focus and intensity used in our financial goals to our nutrition/exercise goals, we have achieved much greater success. I see a lot of correlation between the commitment to LBYM/FIRE and the healthy lifestyle we are working so hard to make a reality. But you have to sacrifice to win, at, well, everything I've ever wanted.

Dangermouse, I would encourage you to benchmark your BF%, as it will give you something more than the scale by which to judge your progress. Plus you can calculate all kind of cool stuff like your Resting Metabolic Rate (how many calories you use just by sitting there). Such a nerd--if I can put it on a spreadsheet--I am happy! But that allows you to fine tune your calories/nutrition to make the most of your fat loss. I have seen a remarkable difference in my muscle tone--like I actually have some now! I even have abs, albeit hidden below that pesky layer of fat for the moment!
And Dangermouse, you are doing great to keep going towards those goals and I believe that tracking your progress is very meaningful--I am about to finish my second daily calorie diary book, and as it is the only sort of journaling I've ever done, it is cool to thumb through for some recycled menu ideas. One pound a week is very realistic, with a calorie deficit of about 500 calories each day you should have no trouble getting there!

Old 06-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #331

Dangermouse,

The workouts at Curves have exceeded my expectations. Having lifted, benched, cardioed with the Navy over the years...and even dabbled with kickboxing classes, aerobic, etc... I was a little concerned. (location, however was key!) But, I can feel the proverbial burn during the workouts - but I do push myself, and since my fitness level was not too low, I am authorized to do an extra "lap" through the machines. They only measure you once a month, so I'll get that in a few weeks. Will be interesting to see. I have been going 4x per week - and have noticed a difference...probably just in mental outlook with regard to fitness in general!

Keep chargin' all! Congrats on the accomplishments!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:40 AM   #332
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob View Post
Hmmm..... frustration here....
Just went to check the MetLife tables again to see my goal (6'1, Medium Frame, 174 lbs is the high end of my range). Then I notice the footnote at the bottom that this number assumes you're wearing 5 lbs of clothes, too! I can get from my current 179 to 174 at my current rate, but I don't know if I can go another 5 pounds after that to cover clothes. That would be downright gaunt... Anybody else having 'issues' with the MetLife tables?
Below is 6' and 173# (OK, 5'11 1/2"). Heck, the ribs are already starting to show. I never felt those guidelines were very realistic.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #333

Wow - I have not been at the low end of my height on the metlife table since 5th or 6th grade! (and while I have NEVER been ballerina skinny, I do not consider myself fat!) Looking at the men's tables, all that comes to mind is the stereotypical runner's physique...

I am pleased there are different body types out there I prefer my man stockier than these tables consider "ideal" (but with no squishy gut!)
Old 06-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #334

Dave,
Be honest -- are you sucking in your gut there? Even so, pretty darned good!
Who was it here who said "hunger is your friend' when it comes to losing weight. I think about that about 50 times a day now, it seems. Oh well, slow and steady. I count my successes in the number of times I take out the cookies to plop down in front of the TV or computer... and then decide not to eat them.... for now. Not as good as the actual cookies, but it's something...
Old 06-08-2007, 09:20 AM   #335
Give me a forum ...

Give credit to Trombone Al for the hunger is my friend mantra...I've been repeating it myself lately, especially as the minutes before lunch tick by...
I have taken to keeping grapes in the fridge at all times, so when I want to stand there and gaze into the depths, I can eat a couple and feel better about not making those other choices. And what are you doing with cookies in the house?

Old 06-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #336
Give me a forum ...

Looks like we have our picture for February for the Hunks of the ER Forum Calendar.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #337

OMG Dave you look so skinny. Surely you are not trying to lose any more. I'll have to check out those metlife tables though I am sure they will only make me feel like a fat blob.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #338

I may have found the 'loophole' for the MetLife tables that I was seeking: since the tables assume not only that you are wearing 5 lbs of clothes, but (more fine print) that you are wearing 1 inch heel shoes, you can at least bump yourself up to an inch higher than your real height and read your ideal weight there. It may not be 5 lbs more than the number at your actual height, but it's something. In my case, I got an extra 4 ideal pounds, so bottom line is its just about a wash. Use real height and the weight they publish next to it and forget the 5 pounds of clothes, or do the more complicated math.

Or better yet forget the whole thing and enjoy dinner.. It's the weekend for heavens sake! (It's all starting to sound a bit like SWR debates -- and I'm getting the same reaction, which is that I'll never be perfectly safe, just like I'll never be perfectly thin).

And yes, I do have cookies in the house -- heart-healthy Trader Joe's Triple Ginger -- otherwise life might not be worth being thin and surviving for!
Old 06-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #339
Administrator

It has been a while since I visited this thread - I have been missing some good feedback. I have just been on the Metlife tables site.

The medical book we have used for over 25 years has my weight range as 152 - 190 for a 6' 1" male. I did wonder if there was a better target taking into account frame and age.

4 years ago at age 48 I reached 210 and did weight watcher's at work and lost 40lbs over 9 months to get to 170. I float up and then have to journal a few weeks to get back down but I have pretty well managed to stay in the 170 - 175 range. I'm journaling at present after 2 months of business travel overseas and a vacation to get back down from 181. This morning I was at 174.5 after 4 weeks effort.

I always thought that 170 was my ideal weight, but I have just done the metlife frame measurement and come out as Large Frame which means the bottom of my range would be 172 which seems silly as I certainly don't look emaciated. Lean and mean, perhaps , but skin and bones certainly not.

I do exercise a lot - gymn, fitness classes, cycling and playing tennis, and I still feel it hard work to keep the weight off. Years ago I watched an interview with a health advisor who said something similar to what Al mentioned. "For me, feeling slightly hungry all the time is reassurance that I am eating just enough".
Old 06-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #340

Alan,
Well done taking off all those pounds and keeping them off. Journalling? What is that --- just keeping track of everything you eat? It sounds as though you're doing all the right things to keep your weight in line, and it doesn't sound as though it has been easy. (I'm sure I wouldn't look emaciated at my MetLife weight, either, but it just feels good to complain a bit here! ;-)
Closed Thread