Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #3601
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
It took me a long time to lose the weight .I did it just by cutting my portions and not depriving myself of anything so it was pretty painless .If I could do it I know you can do it so keep trying on those jeans . One day they will just zip up .
Thanks Moe..your encouragement is appreciated.

...and you're right about cutting portions and not depriving yourself.

I've lost a ton of weight over the years, however I did deprive myself. I'd gain the weight back because I couldn't stick to it.

I don't deprive myself of anything anymore. It's funny...since I don't deprive myself, I really don't crave the foods that are 'sinful'. It's a psychological game of sorts.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 04:27 PM   #3602
Give me a forum ...

With all the activity people have been posting on the workout thread, I figured by now there would be more success stories...

As for yours truly, I am able to wear my 'skinny' jeans comfortably now.

But that's not good enough as I want to go one size smaller. I'm hoping I will be where I want to be by June, but as slowly as my weight is coming off now, I might not make that time frame.

Ahhh...I try to keep telling myself, 'one day at a time.'
Old 03-08-2015, 07:27 AM   #3603
Give me a forum ...

181 March 2015

186 Jan 2014
188 March 2013
186.5 Jan 2012

Short Term Goal - 175 lbs and maintaining all through 2015

Glad to see I'm back on the downward slope here.
More important than the weight is the toning I have achieved.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:22 AM   #3604
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Five pounds less than I thought and on a downward path. That's all I'm saying for now. :-)
Old 03-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #3605
Give me a forum ...

175 March 18, 2015
I just HAD to post that today. Granted my rapid weight loss is due to the inability to eat normally (teeth issues), but I'm staking the flag regardless. It still counts.

181 March 3, 2015
186 Jan 2014
188 March 2013
186.5 Jan 2012

Old 03-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #3606
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
175 March 18, 2015
I just HAD to post that today. Granted my rapid weight loss is due to the inability to eat normally (teeth issues),
You had your jaw wired shut?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-29-2015, 06:39 AM   #3607
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You had your jaw wired shut?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

No, I had 3 molar extractions done in the month of March. All better now.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:09 AM   #3608
Give me a forum ...

Getting an alert from this thread reminded me that my three year anniversary of weight control has arrived. I knocked off 33 pounds over about 4 months (with LCHF) and then slowly added back a modest amount of rice and potatoes. I have stayed virtually flat at 163 +- 1 since. I never counted calories and no longer pay any attention to anything except the macros (little to no sugar, mostly real food, avoid large amounts of refined carbs). I am lazy, hate vegetables (except salad) and am not willing to go the extra mile for a slight potential gain in health indicators so I ignore all the micro-tuning on things like artificial sweetners, red meats, saturated fat, etc. So, should my next followup on this thread be a discussion of those fine tuning issues from the emergency room in 15 years?
Old 03-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #3609
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Getting an alert from this thread reminded me that my three year anniversary of weight control has arrived. I knocked off 33 pounds over about 4 months (with LCHF) and then slowly added back a modest amount of rice and potatoes. I have stayed virtually flat at 163 +- 1 since. I never counted calories and no longer pay any attention to anything except the macros (little to no sugar, mostly real food, avoid large amounts of refined carbs). I am lazy, hate vegetables (except salad) and am not willing to go the extra mile for a slight potential gain in health indicators so I ignore all the micro-tuning on things like artificial sweetners, red meats, saturated fat, etc. So, should my next followup on this thread be a discussion of those fine tuning issues from the emergency room in 15 years?
Fabulous effort and results ! Woooooo
Old 03-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #3610
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
175 March 18, 2015
I just HAD to post that today. Granted my rapid weight loss is due to the inability to eat normally (teeth issues), but I'm staking the flag regardless. It still counts.

181 March 3, 2015
186 Jan 2014
188 March 2013
186.5 Jan 2012

Congratulations ! Keep up the good work !
Old 05-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #3611
Give me a forum ...

As I'm sitting here typing, I realized it's not Wednesday. But when one is retired, the days of week don't matter as much. But I digress...

After a year and a half of moving more and eating less, seems like my weight loss has plateaued. Even tho I want to lose a few more pounds, I refuse to increase my structured exercise and eat less calories.

Speaking of calories, I ran upon this article....

Quote:
Digestion is far too messy a process to accurately convey in neat numbers. The counts on food labels can differ wildly from the calories you actually extract, for many reasons.
Science Reveals Why Calorie Counts Are All Wrong - Scientific American
Old 05-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #3612
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, calorie info is not all that useful. I have enjoyed 3 years at my target weight +- 1 pound without ever paying attention to calories. I don't even look at calorie numbers on food labels. For me at least if I watch what I eat I don't need to control how much I eat - that is automatic.
Wednesday Weigh In
Old 03-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #3613
Recycles dryer sheets

Wednesday Weigh In

I'm jumping in. I am one month away from FIRE. I'm committed to addressing my weight/health challenges. I am using Fitbit and the Loseit logging site. My exercise routine consists of 2 - 4 miles of brisk walking per day. I found through Jenny Craig that I can lose 1.5 pounds per week while eating 1200 to 1300 calories per day.

I plan to continue walking and add 1 hour per day of additional exercise. the JC foods are overly processed and high in sugar. I found that my triglycerides jumped and my HDL went down while eating 100% JC. I may still use the JC food but I will eat more of my own homemade foods.

Evaluation of the JC foods led to the following estimated nutrient breakdown: calories - 250 to 270, fat - 7 to 9 grams, carbohydrates - about 35 grams, fiber - about 4 grams, protien - 11 to 13 grams. I'll try to stick to this for breakfast and lunch. For breakfast I will eat oatmeal with seeds or nuts. I will continue to eat two servings of fruit and non-fat milk per day.

Today's weight 195
Short term goal 189 by April 30, 2016 (My FIRE day)
Long term goal 140
Old 03-30-2016, 04:13 PM   #3614
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doribe View Post
I'm jumping in. I am one month away from FIRE. I'm committed to addressing my weight/health challenges. I am using Fitbit and the Loseit logging site. My exercise routine consists of 2 - 4 miles of brisk walking per day. I found through Jenny Craig that I can lose 1.5 pounds per week while eating 1200 to 1300 calories per day.

Welcome to weigh ins ! I lost 35 pounds in retirement by just eating less and have maintained the loss for six years . I had to buy all new clothes .Good Luck with your loss ! It is easier to lose weight in retirement . Maybe stress causes water retention ?
Old 11-10-2016, 06:40 AM   #3615
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been absent for 4 years, since I retired at age 52. But now I'd like to jump back in! I am a 56 year old man weighing 234 lbs.
I have cut weight by 11 pounds since Sept. My goal is 210...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-11-2016, 04:25 AM   #3616

We moved to FL, the scale was packed for a month or so, and I put on several pounds - that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Seriously, it did teach me that I do rely on stepping on the scale every morning to keep myself in check.

I'm now back on track with exercise and following a low carb diet. Was 128#, now down to 126.

Will be happy once I hit 123#, and if I lose more, all the better. I don't have a lot to lose, so it is really hard for me to take a few pounds off. I have to be nearly perfect on the diet...which I haven't been yet! Hoping posting here makes me more accountable again.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
It's Wednesday weigh ins!
Old 11-11-2016, 05:26 AM   #3617
Moderator Emeritus

It's Wednesday weigh ins!

Saw this thread and remembered that I haven't weighed myself in a while. Lost too much weight while training for a marathon. But I need to monitor weight more closely now that I quit running. Feel best at 180-185.

04/02/2014 208.8 retirement day
07/16/2014 192.2
August, 2016 166 (lowest running weight)
11/11/2016 176.0 (3 weeks after quitting running)
Old 11-11-2016, 05:44 AM   #3618
Give me a forum ...

Weighed 183 yesterday morning. Early in the year I weighed 191. So glad to be headed in right direction. I'm fine with 180 but would like to get closer to 175. With the holidays coming up.....might be tough.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #3619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
With the holidays coming up.....might be tough.
That's why this is the best time of the year for this thread to be reactivated!!!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 11-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #3620
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for a timely thread. I am not retired yet, but anticipating it.

I am inspired by all the great weight loss stories. I have lost 37 pounds over the past several months and weighed at my low weight this morning.

Key for me has been reducing carbs and increasing fresh veggies and elan protein. Sure has worked. Worked for DW also.

Yes, you do have to buy new clothes, but that is one of those high quality problems.
Closed Thread