Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #3641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doribe View Post
192. Coming to terms with weight loss is mostly food not exercise. I'll continue to exercise but my focus has to be on a balanced low calorie forever term diet.
+1
I have data that tracked part of my weight loss last year. For the twenty pound loss here's the breakdown.

From the calorie deficit of diet, the math says that sixteen pounds of me disappeared(56,000 calories). During the same time, I burnt 14,000 calories from walking, for a four pound loss. Keep in mind that the calories burnt on many exercise estimators are grossly exaggerated.

Yes weight loss is mostly from the kitchen, toning, strength, endurance come with exercise. Both are great but it makes me sad when I hear people say they can't lose weight because they're too out of shape.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #3642
Dryer sheet wannabe

First check in...two months after a heart attack (suffered at the gym, no less) and two weeks into early retirement I've lost 12 pounds. It looks and feels like more because I've stepped up my work-outs and overall physical activity. Other factors are leaving behind the cubicle lifestyle and occasional fast food lunches. I told my doctor that addressing my high blood pressure and cholesterol would be my primary focus once I retired...and I almost didn't make it. Live and learn (fortunately).

Old 04-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #3643
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyR View Post
First check in...two months after a heart attack (suffered at the gym, no less) and two weeks into early retirement I've lost 12 pounds. It looks and feels like more because I've stepped up my work-outs and overall physical activity. Other factors are leaving behind the cubicle lifestyle and occasional fast food lunches. I told my doctor that addressing my high blood pressure and cholesterol would be my primary focus once I retired...and I almost didn't make it. Live and learn (fortunately).
Good for you! And I'm really happy to made it to early retirement and can focus on your health!
Old 04-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #3644
Moderator Emeritus

Got a stressful job (pushed into promotion) and let myself go starting about three years ago, been out of it and down to part time hours for about 9 months now and started losing weight this year. 6'2" and 216 this morning. 195 is my initial goal.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #3645
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Many of us have lost weight after retiring. It took me a year but I lost 40lbs and have kept it off for 2 years. So glad you survived your heart attack.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #3646

I'm down 40# from January last year. I was down 48 pounds, but some crept back on over the past few months as I had to cut back on running due to injury...slowly working my way back with the runs, and getting those 8# back off.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #3647
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks all for the kind words. I have to admit ER really opens up the possibilities for improving one's health. We are fortunate to live in sunny Southern California with four-seasons access to beaches, mountains and lots of farmers markets. Now we finally have the time to frequent them all. Our new RV is (hopefully) on the way now so we'll add more travel to our list of activities very soon.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #3648

6'6" 312 , bald, good thing i sweet talked the bride into marrying me when i had hair, and was about 220
Old 04-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #3649

172 and 5'9". Down from 225 when I retired 4 years ago. A heart scare from a cardiac calcium score test was a motivation to lose the last 20 pounds. I was as low as 161, but have settled in the low 170s. My doctor seems pleased.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #3650

Retired at 210 lbs 3 years ago. 6' tall. Got down to 190 last spring, then started running and paleo diet and dropped down to 166 by mid summer. Then the doc told me to gain weight. So I cheated on the paleo diet and stopped running. Now I'm up to 184, feeling better, lifting weights occasionally, biking instead of running, and the doc is happy.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 PM   #3651
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
First check in...two months after a heart attack (suffered at the gym, no less) and two weeks into early retirement I've lost 12 pounds. It looks and feels like more because I've stepped up my work-outs and overall physical activity. .
Congratulations on making it to retirement & the weight loss .
Old 05-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #3652
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Wonderful that you have taken the bull by the horns.
Doribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #3653

was 312, thought i was dieting, im still 312, at least i didnt go up.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #3654
Recycles dryer sheets

This is my one year anniversary of ER. I have lost 10 pounds and need to lose 45 more. My first year out I focused on travel and family matters. I have maintained my waling routine, 3 miles per day from my working days. I now will focus on reducing weight. I added a 30 minute swim to my daily routine. I realize the most important factor is what I put in my mouth. I plan to use the new Weight Watcher Smart Points plan. My reward will be diving on the Great Barrier Reef.
Doribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #3655
Moderator Emeritus

212 this morning, four pounds in four weeks, sigh, I guess that's about right.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #3656
Recycles dryer sheets

198.3. Down 17.9 from my high when I retired 2 years ago. Slowly losing it. 13.3 to go.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #3657
Recycles dryer sheets

196.6. 11.6 to go. I credit Fitbit with my last few lbs lost. No hiding.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #3658
Recycles dryer sheets

195.9. Down 20.2. 10.9 to go!
Old 08-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #3659
Confused about dryer sheets

From 100 lbs overweight as a kid, to a model when I was younger

Hi guys! This is my first post here...

I have used a few different things to consistently stay leaner/healthy.

If you haven't read his book, Tim Ferris: The 4 Hour Body has some intense, and doable things to keep you in shape.

My 4 things are:

1. Diet: Lean Protein, Nothing White (Sugar), Organic Eggs, Vege's, Slow-Carbs
2. Move! Everyday :-) Kettlebell swings, crunches (anyway you can), Walk/jog at night/after meal
3. Eat less, exercise, more :-)
4. Go ahead once you are consistent, have a cheat day a week.

In time, you will crave healthier foods, less heavy-feeling.

Hope this helps!
J

PS- Men, stay away from too much soy :-)
Old 08-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #3660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey J. View Post
Hi guys! This is my first post here...
./.
Hope this helps!
Hi Jeffery, and welcome to our forum. Why not stop by and introduce yourself, here. Knowing you are here to join the community and not just stop by to plug a book will indeed help.