Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

I'm getting on the weight loss train
Old 08-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #3661
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm getting on the weight loss train

I passed one year of retirement mark. I spent my first year just playing. My first year was great and I needed that. Lazy days of walking with friends, bike riding, going to the beach, plays, concerts, a 10 week RV trip to Civil War sites, and a two week trip to Japan in First Class airline seats. Absolutely great year.

I didn't gain weight but I didn't lose either. I lost 15 lbs in the previous year. In my second year of retirement I am going to make losing weight a priority. I have a BMI of 38, weighing 190 lbs. My first goal is to get below 190 lbs. Then I want to get out of the obese BMI range, which for me is 163 lbs. I might be able to fit into a stretchy size 10 at 163.

I already eat healthy food and log my food on the Loseit app. I will have to be more diligent and weigh ALL my food in order to keep my daily calorie intake at 1300 calories. I already walk 3 miles 4 days a week and take a strength class. I need to add more strength exercise, high intensity cardio and swimming to my regiment. Part of my exercise routine will be housework and painting.

I'll check in on Wednesday.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #3662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doribe View Post
I already eat healthy food and log my food on the Loseit app. I will have to be more diligent and weigh ALL my food in order to keep my daily calorie intake at 1300 calories. I already walk 3 miles 4 days a week and take a strength class. I need to add more strength exercise, high intensity cardio and swimming to my regiment. Part of my exercise routine will be housework and painting.

I'll check in on Wednesday.
Welcome!

I go on and off dieting, but lately am "on" and doing well. I only had a few pounds to lose, but boy are those "last 5-10#" the hardest (IMO).

I follow a 1400 cal "lower carb" (between 75 and 100 net carbs/day) diet and use myfitnesspal, which I love. I am 5' 4". I work out hard about 4 times/week (cardio and weights).

I don't like to deprive myself, so the 1400 cal lets me have a glass or two of wine with dinner. I lose about 1#/wk on this plan until I plateau. The only way I can lose weight is to weigh, measure, and track calories. Once I reach my goal weight, I can maintain fairly well with more calories if I stay lower carb.

The measuring/weighing/tracking and lower carb always seems to work for me. The hard part is doing it!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 09-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #3663
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Exactly six months into retirement and I've lost 20 pounds without even trying. I'm more active, I go to the gym again, I don't eat out for lunch five days a week with oversized portions, and not least of all my stress/frustration level is way down.

This won't last forever though. I need to start an eating plan to keep things going in the right direction.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #3664
Moderator Emeritus

I started Weight Watchers (which I love, now that it uses a lot of technology) in late June and in spite of being away on a few trips (like a week and a half in Germany, where fresh fruit comes wrapped in pastry and covered with some form of cream), I've been diligent otherwise and am down 10 of the 25 I want to lose. Had I not started then I am sure I would be up 10 pounds. It's not a race, I keep telling myself, but I look forward to working it for the next ten weeks.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #3665

I'll chime in that I lost 10lbs in the first 6 months of FIRE without even trying. I was walking ~2 mi a day at least 5 days a week which I didn't do when working (desk job mostly), but that is about it. I have denied myself little in way of food, but I generally eat fairly healthy. I am on my feet during the day a lot more, but am also probably sleeping 1-2 more hours a night. 9 months in and I am still at that weight, just a hair under a BMI of 25 and I am very happy and comfortable at this weight.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #3666
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Saw the thread, weighed myself, (sans attire), BMI 23.7 ..... 6' 0" and 175 lbs...... wouldn't mind dropping 5 lbs....WOULD mind gaining same.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 10-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #3667

167 5’10” 13.5% bf
Old 10-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #3668

I'm actually at the same weight that I was 30 years ago. :-)
Old 10-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #3669
Moderator Emeritus

Down another 7 lbs today. Chipping away....
Old 10-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #3670
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
I'm actually at the same weight that I was 30 years ago. :-)
Wow, that's great!!! Wanna be there by the end of the year too (or close to it).
Old 10-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #3671
Recycles dryer sheets

Back on myfitnesspal as of Sunday morning. Food journalling is the only way I have every successfully lost weight. My problem is I get down to where I want to be, stop journaling and then gain it back within a year. I may be destined to log my meals forever. As least myfitnesspal makes it so easy.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #3672
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittinginthesun View Post
Back on myfitnesspal as of Sunday morning. Food journalling is the only way I have every successfully lost weight. My problem is I get down to where I want to be, stop journaling and then gain it back within a year. I may be destined to log my meals forever. As least myfitnesspal makes it so easy.
I've logged over 800 days. It's too easy, for me, to slowly increase a couple hundred calories.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #3673

I feel so bad , since I retired I gained 8 lbs ....but I go to the Gym 3 sometimes 4 times a week . I walk 12 miles a week and do light weights . Time to get a good eating program /
Old 01-01-2018, 03:14 AM   #3674
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi and new here. Its not Wednesday yet but thought I would post anyway. Sorry if it breaks protocol.
At 6'1" and 235 lbs my BMI is 31
I retire in 850 days or so and want to get to 180 lbs.
In my work, one night is sitting on my arse looking at computer monitors for 12 hours nonstop, the other involves walking 5 miles per night.
I went to a mostly plant based diet last may. Do not smoke, do not drink alcohol, but still consume to many calories and don't get enough exercise.
I try not to weigh in but look at my belt line to see if I am loosing or gaining.

Read Penn Jilliette's book, Presto!: How I Made Over 100 Pounds Disappear and Other Magical Tales. Great book on losing weight. He lost 100 in 100 days! Kept it off too.
Cheers.
Bob
Old 01-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #3675
Recycles dryer sheets

5'2" 190, down 3 lbs on Weight Watcher plan and eating a generally low carb plan. I've let sugar creep into my diet and I am working or eliminating it as a regular thing.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:39 AM   #3676
Gone but not forgotten

Since it is Wednesday I decided to weigh myself I am down to 125 lbs. A loss of 5 pounds from the dreaded flu . I have maintained a 40 lb. weight loss for over 8 years by eating smaller meals . Since I had to buy a whole new wardrobe I intend to stick with this weight .
Old 02-24-2018, 07:22 AM   #3677
Give me a forum ...

DW, who's been doing a lot of swimming lately, weighed herself this a.m. - 97 lbs - now I'm walking around the house emulating the old Sonny & Cher 'Fat Suit' skits, with cheeks puffed and arms held way out from my sides.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Secrets to a weighty subject!
Old 03-14-2018, 10:15 AM   #3678
Confused about dryer sheets

Secrets to a weighty subject!

It's great to see a retirement topic on weight, which is, after all, all about health. I've observed that too often we focus on financial resources in retirement and overlook what is far more important to a long and successful retirement. That is good health that enables us to do all we want! There are a ton of good books on the subject, but I recently came across a very short 99 cent kindle book on amazon that makes it so clear and simple what to do. It even has money saving tips! If anyone is interested, it's called "Getting Younger in Retirement"

By the way, I love to run and think it really helps with weight control, but the truth is diet is more important than exercise. There's no way though that a soy burger tastes as good as the real thing
Old 03-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #3679
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by runfreeak View Post
It's great to see a retirement topic on weight, which is, after all, all about health. I've observed that too often we focus on financial resources in retirement and overlook what is far more important to a long and successful retirement. That is good health that enables us to do all we want! There are a ton of good books on the subject, but I recently came across a very short 99 cent kindle book on amazon that makes it so clear and simple what to do. It even has money saving tips! If anyone is interested, it's called "Getting Younger in Retirement"

By the way, I love to run and think it really helps with weight control, but the truth is diet is more important than exercise. There's no way though that a soy burger tastes as good as the real thing
I’m not familiar with that book—who is the author and what is his or her background? Are you connected with this book? Also, feel free to introduce yourself on the “Hi I am” forum here.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #3680
Full time employment: Posting here.

Started creeping up over last year to the 160lb limit-threshold. That was it.

8 weeks so far, counting calories and limiting to 1500/day and walking 12-15mi per week with strength training in between.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2018-03-14-16-35-17.png (57.0 KB, 21 views)