Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #3681
Dryer sheet aficionado

Has anyone tried the prescription weight loss aid, Contrave? If so, any testimonials or complaints?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #3682
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB View Post
Has anyone tried the prescription weight loss aid, Contrave? If so, any testimonials or complaints?
My DW used it for about 2 months to get her over a plateau. She lost about 10 pounds with it, but the side effects were pretty terrible and she doesn't recommend it. Her biggest complaint was the nausea when she ate too much...which wasn't much at all.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #3683
Recycles dryer sheets

I am down about 6 pounds. I spent 5 weeks hiking.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #3684
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB View Post
I've a friend who's using it. Weight loss has been modest at best.

I've personally lost over 60 lbs. on Byetta (exenatide). It's a GLP-1 (glucagon-like peptide) agonist that slows digestion and improves glucagon response. It was prescribed by a doctor at the MGH Weight Center. Combined with a low-carb diet and exercise, it has moved me from "candidate for bariatric surgery" (BMI > 40) to where I'm no longer eligible (BMI 31).

It's a twice-daily injectable (tiny needle, subcutaneous), which freaks some people out, but there's really nothing to it. There's a slightly newer drug approved for weight loss that's injected only once daily: Saxenda (liraglutide), but my Blue Cross doesn't cover it.

From the doctor's reaction, my response to the drug is atypical; I just got lucky. As with any other weight loss drug, YMMV.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:07 PM   #3685
Moderator Emeritus

I know, it's not Wednesday! Sorry 'bout that.

I have been on a low calorie diet for exactly one month today, and have lost 14.0 pounds.

That's probably not spectacular but I am happy about it. After the first week's larger loss, my weekly weight loss has been averaging 1.8 pounds/week. That is just right for me. I am very overweight and have a long way to go, so I want to lose at a safe rate between 1-2 pounds/week.

I am not going to WW this time, but for variety decided to count calories and record them using MFP (Myfitnesspal dot com). I am also trying to keep my carbs down to help lower my (type 2 diabetic) blood sugar and that seems to be working to some extent too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #3686
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations W2R ! Keep up the good work !
Old 04-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #3687

Congratulations W2R! I have found counting calories via myfitnesspal very helpful...when I do it!

I need to get back on track - have been eating horribly lately, and the scale shows it!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 04-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #3688
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I know, it's not Wednesday! [emoji23] Sorry 'bout that.

I have been on a low calorie diet for exactly one month today, and have lost 14.0 pounds.

That's probably not spectacular but I am happy about it. After the first week's larger loss, my weekly weight loss has been averaging 1.8 pounds/week. That is just right for me. I am very overweight and have a long way to go, so I want to lose at a safe rate between 1-2 pounds/week.

I am not going to WW this time, but for variety decided to count calories and record them using MFP (Myfitnesspal dot com). I am also trying to keep my carbs down to help lower my (type 2 diabetic) blood sugar and that seems to be working to some extent too.
Congratulations!

That's a very respectable weight loss. I misread your post the first time. I didn't realize it was low-calorie, IMO that's a sustainable way to lose. Obviously it slows when you get closer to your goal.

Sometimes people do low-carb experience a initial loss and then get discouraged.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:00 AM   #3689
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Congratulations W2R ! Keep up the good work !
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Congratulations W2R! I have found counting calories via myfitnesspal very helpful...when I do it!

I need to get back on track - have been eating horribly lately, and the scale shows it!
Thank you, Moemg and SimpleGirl! I love the food database at myfitnesspal and it is easy to keep records of what I eat there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Congratulations!

That's a very respectable weight loss. I misread your post the first time. I didn't realize it was low-calorie, IMO that's a sustainable way to lose. Obviously it slows when you get closer to your goal.

Sometimes people do low-carb experience a initial loss and then get discouraged.
Thank you! I am doing low calorie with moderate to low carb. I'm also avoiding added sugar and most processed foods. But I have a strict calorie ceiling.

My second week was a mini-plateau, so I got on the exercycle to try to bump myself out of the plateau. That helped so I am still losing.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #3690
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Down 24 since FIRE Jan 2017. Playing racquetball twice a week (my 42nd year playing this sport), hiking in local conservation land 6-12 miles a week with our 2 dogs (weather permitting, tough in New England winters). Eating a *little* bit healthier, but not really denying myself much. Just eating sensibly most of the time. I'm withing 2-3 lbs of my High School weight, feels great!
Old 04-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #3691
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Since we have Tuesday videos and Thursday jokes and at least Mudd and I are trying to lose weight, I thought maybe we could motivate each other here with Wednesday weigh-ins!

I am male, 37, at 196 and want to be at 175 by 6/1/2007.

2Cor521
Glad to see the thread is still alive.

I don't know what happened to Mudd.

I am male, 48, at 197 and want to be at 189.9 by 5/29/2018.

What may be different this time is that I am going to the gym every day for at least an hour and also changing my relationship with food. All possible due to FIRE two years ago which gave me more time and less stress.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #3692
Recycles dryer sheets

186, male 55, 5’10. Maybe weighing in on a weekly basis will keep me focused. I would like to get to 175 by spring 2019.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #3693

180 as of yesterday... male, 57, 6'-4". I was 225 when I retired 5 years ago. DW and I went strict low carb. After about a year, DW hit her target and I was at 190-195 and pretty happy with that. We've stayed mostly low carb, but we eat whatever we want when traveling, holidays, and eating out. Recently DW was up about 15 lbs, so we went back to strict low carb and after about 3 months, I'm at 180 and she's back on target. I haven't been this low since college. It feels good. My back and knees are so happy.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #3694
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikubak View Post
186, male 55, 5’10. Maybe weighing in on a weekly basis will keep me focused. I would like to get to 175 by spring 2019.
Good idea! At least in my case, I know that keeping track of my weight helps (just like keeping track of my finances helps me to spend a little less).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
180 as of yesterday... male, 57, 6'-4". I was 225 when I retired 5 years ago. DW and I went strict low carb. After about a year, DW hit her target and I was at 190-195 and pretty happy with that. We've stayed mostly low carb, but we eat whatever we want when traveling, holidays, and eating out. Recently DW was up about 15 lbs, so we went back to strict low carb and after about 3 months, I'm at 180 and she's back on target. I haven't been this low since college. It feels good. My back and knees are so happy.
Wow, good job!!! You are doing wonderfully!

Yesterday marked exactly two months on a lower calorie diet and I am now 17.8 pounds down. This makes me very happy. I am not exactly doing low carb, but I am cutting out most processed food and sugary foods, and instead using those calories for double portions of meat (or chicken, fish, shrimp, or eggs, whatever protein food I am having) at dinnertime. Also I am limiting my calories.

Hopefully next month I will be able to report more than 20 pounds down. We'll see.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #3695

I'm now weighing in at 166. I'd like to get down to 158 (which has been a goal for several years now). I've gone back to using Fitness Pal which I think will be helpful. We will see.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #3696
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yesterday marked exactly two months on a lower calorie diet and I am now 17.8 pounds down. This makes me very happy. I am not exactly doing low carb, but I am cutting out most processed food and sugary foods, and instead using those calories for double portions of meat (or chicken, fish, shrimp, or eggs, whatever protein food I am having) at dinnertime. Also I am limiting my calories.

Hopefully next month I will be able to report more than 20 pounds down. We'll see.
Well that happened faster than I expected. Fine with me, no complaints here.

So far I have lost 20.6 pounds in 10 weeks (since March 23rd). I am using MyFitnessPal dot com to record everything. Not meaning to promote that site, since there are many one could use. I do like doing this online sometimes. WW has an online membership too, which I may take advantage of if/when I stop losing while doing what I am presently doing. And there are many other online weight loss websites to choose from.

I see my doctor again in 3 weeks, and would love to have lost 24-25 pounds total by then. If so then I will still be way over my ideal weight, but making progress.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #3697

Congratulations W2R!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 06-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #3698
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Congratulations W2R!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much!!! I'm pretty happy about it.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #3699
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations ! Are your clothes getting loose ? I ended up buying a whole new wardrobe when I lost 40 pounds .
Old 06-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #3700
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So far I have lost 20.6 pounds in 10 weeks (since March 23rd).
Congrats! Perfect weight loss pace, IMO.
Closed Thread