Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #3741
Recycles dryer sheets

183.0 when I got up this morning. Had a couple cups of coffee then went outside in the 88 degree, 100% humidity and did couple hours of tree cutting a chipping in the woods. Sweated my ASS off. Came back in showered and just curious stepped on the scale. 181.3. Retired 19 months ago at probably 202, high was 206. I remember hitting 178 in high school, 184 right after college graduation (1986). While I am not consciously "dieting", I have found that when I prepare food for myself, it tends to be healthier than what I was eating when I was w*rking. Lots more fruits and veggies. Walk 12-14 mi a week weather permitting. Play racquetball twice a week for 2-3 hours (have played for the last 42 years). Feel great.

doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #3742
Moderator Emeritus

My scales are finally relenting, after seeming to be stuck for so long! I stuck to my low calorie plan like a pit bull and all of a sudden lost more this week, for a total of (drumroll)…. 35.8 pounds in 20 weeks.

What a thrill to finally see my efforts paying off again! Still have much more to lose, "Tune in at 11".

100% retired since 2009 and never plan to work for anybody ever again, paid or not. Retirement funded by Social Security, mini-pension, and investments (AA 45:55, mostly Vanguard). Debt free with no mortgage and over-the-moon happy to be retired.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #3743
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great job, W2R! Sounds like you lost another 3 pounds or so.

I had out of state family visiting this week and we went to Santa Fe and Taos and ate New Mexican food. So I'm not getting back on the scale until I have ate light a few days. Then I start my next trip. One nice restaurant meal a day and eat out of the cooler for other meals. Lots of walking. Goal is to not to gain weight during trip.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #3744
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My scales are finally relenting, after seeming to be stuck for so long! I stuck to my low calorie plan like a pit bull and all of a sudden lost more this week, for a total of (drumroll)…. 35.8 pounds in 20 weeks.

What a thrill to finally see my efforts paying off again! Still have much more to lose, "Tune in at 11".
Nice job. Your loss is on a great rate. Sometimes either DW or I had a stall for a week.

I'm not sure this actually works for everyone but, I'll share it.

When we stalled we'd do a meatless day. Not too hard for breakfast or lunch, dinner was something I worked at to get enough protein. Normally bean, quinoa and cheese enchiladas. They were good enough to really enjoy, sometimes it was a meatless and half day. Even though the margaritas were meatless, we to skipped them.

I'm a firm believer in CICO and while lower in calories, the math didn't always add up with a meatless day. YMMV.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #3745
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After last month's brush with death and lots of hospital days and doctors, weight seems to be holding at 10 lbs. less than the past 20 years.

Finally... enough of a wake up to start walking again after too many years of sloth. Aye... 'tis an ill wind... indeed!
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #3746
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well this just may be the accountability that will give me some traction. My starting point:

50yo, 5'6", 171 lb.

Goal: 20 lb weight loss.

My plan is to achieve this by minimizing processed food, sugar, alcohol and white carbs and to eat tons of plants, proteins and a little fruit.
bevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:08 PM   #3747
Recycles dryer sheets

191#. Wore lightweight pants to Weight Watchers meeting.
Doribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:43 PM   #3748
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevette View Post
<snip>
My plan is to achieve this by minimizing processed food, sugar, alcohol and white carbs and to eat tons of plants, proteins and a little fruit.
Tons of plants? Maybe you could simply start by eating a single bushel of plants three times a day.

note: emphasis by the duck
Old 08-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #3749
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Tons of plants? Maybe you could simply start by eating a single bushel of plants three times a day.

note: emphasis by the duck
bevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #3750
Dryer sheet aficionado

216.5 lb this morning, down from 230 lb at the end of June.

Combination of a daily workout at the gym, hill climbing on my mountain bike, better food choices, honey-do-list, and less stress (just retired June 30) are doing their job. Getting stronger and lighter.

My favorite format of bicycle racing ... cyclocross ... starts up in October and my goal is to get down to 200 lbs by the start of the season and 180 lbs by season end in December.

Cyclocross by the way is a crazy fun high cardio 50 minute bike race on a closed course of grass, sand, dirt, mud, and occasional pavement to catch your breath. And just for kicks when your heart is racing and legs and lungs burning there will be a section, like stairs or a hill that is too steep to ride that requires racers to get off and shoulder bikes and “run-up”. The promoter usually sets the races up at a local park or at an out of business golf course. Have also raced at other fun venues like at night on an old drag strip and fully-clothed through a nudist Resort. The fun factor and intensity ramps up when the rain starts to fall towards the end of the season in December.

Living the dream!
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:31 PM   #3751
Dryer sheet aficionado

Down another pound and a half this week to 215 lbs.

Might have been a little lower but had a couple of beers and a second piece of pie at my wife’s 55 b-day party this weekend.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #3752

Now at 156.9 lbs. Would like to get into 154's. Was at 161.3 on 06-21-18.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #3753
Dryer sheet aficionado

Down another 1.5 pounds this week to 213.5 lbs.

Household chores are done and getting ready for some quality time with the mountain bike out on my favorite goat tracks.

Living the ER dream!
Old 08-29-2018, 03:43 PM   #3754

Today I'm at 156.5.

Last Wed. I weighed 156.9.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:09 PM   #3755
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations to all who have been posting their weight losses! I am still losing weight, and I am down 36.8 pounds total as of today (23 weeks). It's getting harder to lose, so I need to exercise more and eat fewer calories. Meanwhile I am keeping it off, losing a little more, and not giving up any time soon. I'm in this for the long haul.
100% retired since 2009 and never plan to work for anybody ever again, paid or not. Retirement funded by Social Security, mini-pension, and investments (AA 45:55, mostly Vanguard). Debt free with no mortgage and over-the-moon happy to be retired.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:50 PM   #3756
Full time employment: Posting here.

I lost 5 pounds in August for a total of 44 pounds in the 48 weeks since retirement. Despite eating out once every other day and some splurges on my 10 day trip to National Parks in Utah, I actually lost weight because of all the walking and short hikes. But my knee and hips were hurting. Towards the end of the trip I bought a treking pole and that helped. Used a sleeve on my knee but may look into wrapping it.

My next trip is SW Colorado later this month and I'd like to increase my endurance so I can take longer walks/hikes. Also ordered yoga pants in a smaller size.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:59 PM   #3757
Dryer sheet aficionado

No loss ... and more importantly no gain this week. Kids have been coming and going over the long weekend and took them out to dinner a couple times. And there were a couple of beers involved.

Scale still says 213.5 lbs.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #3758
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Congratulations to all who have been posting their weight losses! I am still losing weight, and I am down 36.8 pounds total as of today (23 weeks). It's getting harder to lose, so I need to exercise more and eat fewer calories. Meanwhile I am keeping it off, losing a little more, and not giving up any time soon. I'm in this for the long haul.
Lost more weight this week, for a total of 38.6 pounds in one day less than 24 weeks.

<<<~~~~~ (W2R doing the happy dance! )

Low calorie
Lower carbs (but not low enough to be "low carb"; "moderate carb"? 35%)
A little more protein instead
No artificial sweeteners or added sugar
Almost no processed foods.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #3759
Dryer sheet aficionado

No loss and no gain this week. Scale still reading 213.5 lbs.

Twilight mountain bike race tonight under the lights. Let the good times roll!
Old 09-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #3760
Moderator Emeritus

FINALLY!!!

Finally I have lost >40 pounds. As of this morning I am down 40.2 pounds in 25 weeks plus 4 days.

The last 10-15 pounds have been tough so I need to step up my game.