Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #3821
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I DID IT!! Lost a lot of "water weight" overnight, so as of this morning my total loss is 50.2 pounds in 34 weeks. (If you listen carefully you may hear strains of "Happy Days are Here Again" in the background.... )

It's great to reach a goal, especially without paying a penny to Weight Watchers or anybody else to do it. OK, I could afford to pay but it makes the inner cheapskate happy. MyFitnessPal dot com has worked very nicely for me, once I decided to combine it with my own common sense and eat a little bit less than they suggest. I think any other calorie counting website could work just as well but that is the one I am using.

My average for the 34 weeks has been 1367 calories/day. MFP originally suggested 1770 calories/day (403 more calories/day than I have been eating) for me to lose 1.5 pounds/week. Now that I weigh 50 pounds less, they suggest 1490 calories/day (123 more calories/day than I have been eating). But I decided to ignore their suggestions and use my own common sense, and that worked for me. (EDITED to clarify the recommended numbers: now that I am lighter, I don't use up as many calories so the number MFP recommends got lower, as it should.) I need to start eating fewer calories/day on average now that I have lost, but, er…, that hasn't been happening quite yet...

Also I have averaged 122 carbs/day although I would really rather that was under 100, but it is what it is. I am type 2 diabetic, and my blood sugar has dropped dramatically even so, which might be just due to the weight loss itself. My endocrinologist/internist is thrilled with the results and wants me to keep it up and lose more.

I still haven't bought smaller clothes quite yet, but may buy some this week as a "good for me" gift from me to me. My present sweatpants ("winter retiree wear!" ) would literally be down around my ankles in a minute without the drawstring to hold them up.

I still have quite a bit more to lose and I seem to be "on a roll", so I'm not quitting yet.

Congratulations! What a great accomplishment for your health and I bet you are feeling great. Time to blow some of that dough and get some new clothes.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #3822
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Congratulations! What a great accomplishment for your health and I bet you are feeling great. Time to blow some of that dough and get some new clothes.
Thank you! I ordered some and they should be here this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Congratulations ! That is a huge weight loss !
Thank you!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #3823
gone traveling

I have been listening to the book The Obesity Code for the past few days and find it very interesting and informative. Recommend as one resource for information if you haven’t read it already.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:25 AM   #3824
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I DID IT!! MFP originally suggested 1770 calories/day (403 more calories/day than I have been eating) for me to lose 1.5 pounds/week. Now that I weigh 50 pounds less, they suggest 1490 calories/day (123 more calories/day than I have been eating). But I decided to ignore their suggestions and use my own common sense, and that worked for me.
Do MFP recommendations take age into account? I definitely need to eat much less than I used to in order to maintain my weight.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #3825
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky penny View Post
Do MFP recommendations take age into account? I definitely need to eat much less than I used to in order to maintain my weight.
Oh yes, absolutely!!!! MFP asks for your date of birth, height, weight, gender, activity, and more, in the inputs they require to determine the calories you use. If you need to eat much less than you used to, then I think you should do exactly that. But MFP will be taking all this information into account to calculate their suggested calorie intake. If you need to tweak their suggestion to your individual needs, the software is set up so that you can do that.

I can only speak for myself. But I found out that for ME, the key to weight loss was to use my own common sense in deciding how much I should eat to lose weight. For example, if you know yourself well enough to know what is too much or too little for you, do not listen to pushy people on the internet trying to tell you how much to eat (by that I don't mean you or anybody in particular, but there is no dearth of pushy people on the internet).

I see my doctor and have lab tests done every three months and he checks my thyroid and so on; I pressed him about this calorie intake issue and my observations, and his comments were that people simply are not identical to one another in a multitude of ways and that he is keeping close tabs on me and he thinks what I am doing is just right.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #3826
Recycles dryer sheets

I forgot to check in last month. I lost another 5 pounds in November for a 3-month loss of 23 pounds.

Trucking along with no snacking, and drastically reduced flour and sugar.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:52 PM   #3827
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevette View Post
I forgot to check in last month. I lost another 5 pounds in November for a 3-month loss of 23 pounds.

Trucking along with no snacking, and drastically reduced flour and sugar.
That's wonderful, Bevette! Congratulations!

I have been maintaining through the holidays and it has been a struggle just to maintain. So, my goal right now is to just stay at my present weight for a little bit while my body gets used to being lighter.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #3828

Missed several Wednesdays, but have shed ~5 pounds of the 10+ that need to go. Was 150 at retirement, but good living, travel, and the dreaded red grape took their toll. After last trip, I was solidly +160.

My "secret sauce"for weight loss is healthy foods, portion control, and walking my @ss off. If I make progress I allow myself one cheat breakfast and one cheat dinner per week. Even then, I don't allow portion to creep to much.

Best wishes to everyone working on weight management. This time of year is hard for most. For the period Christmas eve through New Years day, I settle for "maintain, don't gain."
Old 12-20-2018, 07:03 PM   #3829
gone traveling

I retired early in Sept at age 51. I regularly worked out at the local Planet Fitness gym several days a week. Now being retired I can spend more time in the gym and not think about having to go to work afterwards. I feel I have more energy and in the long run it will be more beneficial to me health wise. My eating habits are improved because I don’t have to rely on the fast food crap. By preparing my own meals and occasionally eating out is my approach. My weight is 154 pounds and I am 5 ft 6 in tall. By having financial independence and freedom is awesome and improved health is a bonus!
Old 12-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #3830
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I dropped back to 170, the top of my BMI.

In 2015, I was 227 at the beginning of the year, dropped to 162 and easily maintained for 1.75 years.

After we moved, my shiny new PCP said I didn't have low-T that I'd been treated for and wouldn't treat it. I promptly put on 23 pounds while cutting my calories down to 1300-1400(too low for males). She told me, she wanted "her seniors" to have some extra weight! I was 185 pounds!

I saw a urologist in April who diagnosed me with the same low-T I had been treated for. I'm slowly losing. Eating ~2000 calories daily and dropping 1-2 pounds monthly. Guys if you lose control of your weight, see a urologist or endocrinologist.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:21 AM   #3831
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi I know i’m a cliche joining in the new year, but it’s time I sorted myself out.
3 years since i finished working and while i have been much more active I have also been eating and drinking much much much more. So here goes:

54 years old
228 lbs
nearly 40 bmi

I have been to the gym this morning and plan to do a mix of gym and swimming. It’s cold outside here!

Already eat pretty healthily when at home, but drink a lot.
Planning to not eat out and only have a small drink at the weekend.

Happy new year everyone.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:39 AM   #3832

Well, we’re in Fort Lauderdale this morning awaiting our shuttle to the Cruise Port. Last nights dinner was 1 Belgian Waffle with 2 humongous scoops of ice cream and whipped cream with a marsciano cherry on top. The name of the restaurant was Jackson’s Ice Cream Parlor. It is really unique.

I plan to join this group upon our return in 10 days.

I

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
Old 01-02-2019, 08:17 AM   #3833

As I posted last week, I wanted to maintain through new year. So, hovering at/just slightly above 155. Mission accomplished!

Hiked 4 miles on Jan 1 and 5 this morning. Hoping to shed remaining 5 pounds prior to physical on 1-17-19. Fairly confident on hitting the goal (aggressive pie hole discipline required) . I'll update around that date.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:57 AM   #3834

I've been within six pounds for about 30 years (187-193). I have a rotation for 5-6 days a week that is 50% weights and 50% cardio (eliptical in gym or walking). I crept up a few months ago and then through a series of events went down to the lower end of my spectrum. We'll see after what I ate yesterday and the day before. Have not fretted over my weight but generally I let my belt do the talking. If it starts feeling tight I know I've crept up.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #3835
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have been maintaining through the holidays and it has been a struggle just to maintain. So, my goal right now is to just stay at my present weight for a little bit while my body gets used to being lighter.
I gained 1.4# over the holidays, since my low on December 12th. Looking at my daily weight records, I've been within just a pound or two of that low for a couple of months. I will pat myself on the back for more or less maintaining, which is an accomplishment in itself, but at some point I need to cut back a bit more and start losing again. The holidays are over now.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #3836

61 yrs. old, 134 lbs., 5'4"

Used to work out 4 times/week to exhaustion. Muscles sore all the time.

In the last year, swim a few times/week, walk dog.
I'm much happier, weight stays pretty constant although I eat before 4 pm and eat smaller meals, no restrictions other than low salt. My weight fluctuates 1 or 2 lbs.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 01-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #3837
Dryer sheet wannabe

There’s too many posts in this one for me to see if someone already suggested weight watchers but seriously it’s all that has worked for me. I can’t do “diets” they just make me want food more. And I can’t do elimination of entire food groups. WW worked
For me bc 1) I like counting and lists anyway and 2) if I want the cake I eat the damn cake. I just adjust it later in week. I’ve been on it two years. Started about 155 went down to 135 with little effort just nutrition mostly. Kept it off 2 years. If that sounds up your alley try the app out. Oh I’m a 36yo F.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #3838
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I gained 1.4# over the holidays, since my low on December 12th. Looking at my daily weight records, I've been within just a pound or two of that low for a couple of months. I will pat myself on the back for more or less maintaining, which is an accomplishment in itself, but at some point I need to cut back a bit more and start losing again. The holidays are over now.
We humans are somewhat like the stock market (but backwards) - sometimes we have to go through an upward correction when in pursuit of weight loss.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:55 PM   #3839

Starting this journey again. -2 since I started 1/1/2019 -- haha -- I know slow and steady.

Have a fitbit watch that connects to www.fitbit.com and puts the "You've earned 1,244 extra calories from exercise today" into my food diary (< calories in than >) @ https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary . Better portions, one snack per night. Intermittent fasting once per week.

Liked this article I recently recent on not necessarily setting goals but systems which end up adding consistency to meet goals as the bonus.

https://www.theladders.com/career-ad...ly-better-2019
Old 01-03-2019, 07:42 AM   #3840
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
Hi I know i’m a cliche joining in the new year, but it’s time I sorted myself out.
3 years since i finished working and while i have been much more active I have also been eating and drinking much much much more. So here goes:

54 years old
228 lbs
nearly 40 bmi

I have been to the gym this morning and plan to do a mix of gym and swimming. It’s cold outside here!

Already eat pretty healthily when at home, but drink a lot.
Planning to not eat out and only have a small drink at the weekend.

Happy new year everyone.
I was 227 pounds in May of 2015, I had developed non-specific tachycardia and thought I was dying. My then PCP suggested I lose some weight, wasn't the first time. By October, 2015 I was 165, normal bmi for me. The tachycardia was gone, as well as, hypertension, GERD, high triglycerides, frequent cluster headaches and a bunch of other crap.

The secret for me was a free application someone here recommended, called myfitnesspal. Easy to use and a great way to learn how to eat properly. The first time I made spaghetti, I was shocked! My normal serving was 1600 calories of pasta!

DW had similar results. We've been maintaining ever since. Our total cost was a $15.00 food scale, don't know what we did before it.

Good luck on your journey.
Closed Thread