Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #441

I'm on vacation in England so can't weigh in. Eating and drinking plenty but the weather is fabulous so we've done lots of walking each day to perhaps compensate a little .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:40 AM   #442

Laurence, concentrate on good quality lean protein (fish, poultry, whey powder) and lots of veggies. I usually have 2-3 (cooked weight) 4 oz servings a day of lean protein and fill in with fruit and veggies. Good luck with the 1/2 marathon--I wish I could run! Congrats on such a great goal! My boss is doing a 1/2 ironman next year in Cali--the Seal one. Sounds horrible to lazy me!

I am still at 145, but refocusing this month on working my muscles to failure more. I am going to have bodyfat tested again in December, and I'm really hoping to see a big improvement over the 29% from June.

Maintenance is hard, and lacks the thrills of losing every week. Good luck to those who travel--that is the hardest trial imaginable for a dieter!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:28 PM   #443
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i fattened up watching mom die. hey, gotta blame someone. got up to, yikes, 222 lbs or so. within two months after funeral i was down to 214 lbs & 19% body fat. but the holidays depressed me and that sourdough loaf some "friend" brought over didn't help any. i'm back up to 219 lbs 20% bf, damn!

my goal is 200#s 14-16% bf, maybe i could get to 190#s 10-12% bf but by then i'm body sculpting and i doubt i'm that ambitious. though i suppose i could write it off as an er hobby.
tommorow marks one year since my mom died. still can't believe it. just got back from the unveiling ceremony for her stone and memory. she always kept such a great figure her entire life and so i'm sure she'd love to know that i'm down to 208 lbs and 18% body fat. i am well on my way to svelte.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:14 AM   #444
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Sarah, at this point I know what I'm supposed to do and just get weak.

208 lbs this week, late weigh in, but at least I'm making progress! The runs have been hard.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:20 PM   #445

Ireland chips and beer 'dun me in' and I am up about 4 lbs from my all-time low this summer. Oh well, it was worth it. Time to get back on the treadmill, and lay off the chocolates :-)
Old 09-22-2007, 07:28 PM   #446
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't believe you're all still here!!

Hey y'all, I'm back. I was retiredbop previously, but just used my regular screen name so it's one less thing to have to remember.

I gained 8 pounds over the summer. Up to 333. Back on the wagon now that the race/teaching season is over. Hope to hit 300 before New Year's. Have to cruise back and see how you've all been doing.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob View Post
Time to get back on the treadmill, and lay off the chocolates :-)
just as approaching my weight goal, mallomars come back into season. is there no end to the tease and the torment?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #448

1st day back after2 weeks in England. Like Bob, lots of fish and chips washed down with plenty of beer. Despite trying to offset this with lots of walking (the weather was fantastic) I've still put on 5lb from when I left - but it was worth it
Old 09-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #449
Dryer sheet aficionado

Its tough keeping the pounds off when going to the pubs. I have the same issue, but my evil is trays of pizza.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #450

Mike, just keep after it--you'll drop those summer pounds! And hey, while you were gone--I can now do three "real man" pushups in a row! Yes sir! I've got some (tiny) guns going here!

I finally went through the closet this weekend and donated all the larger sizes--what a pile of clothes! I'm staying within 3 lbs of 145 pretty much solid, learning to apply the 80/20 rule where we eat right most of the time and then splurge, maybe one night a week. That is keeping us about right weight-wise. And we can still drink beer--but I've become a much cheaper date! Now, if I could replace those six-packs with a six-pack!

Old 09-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #451
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I'm staying within 3 lbs of 145 pretty much solid, learning to apply the 80/20 rule where we eat right most of the time and then splurge, maybe one night a week. That is keeping us about right weight-wise.
Sarah, that's great news. Congratulations. Cindy and I started something different this week. We went to lunch at Denny's like we sometimes do before grocery shopping. But instead of ordering two meals, we only ordered one meal plus an empty plate. We found eating half each filled us nicely. We think we're going to make that a habit from now on. (Except when I want something with gravy, which she detests.)
Old 09-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #452

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnckpa View Post
Cindy and I started something different this week. We went to lunch at Denny's like we sometimes do before grocery shopping. But instead of ordering two meals, we only ordered one meal plus an empty plate. We found eating half each filled us nicely.
This is a good tip that DW and I were given a couple of years back and it works really well. I think it is very common as we rarely get any strange looks when we order. There was one occaison when, at a fancy restaurant, the waiter brought out the 2 plates with the meal already divided out for us. I commented that I liked the way he carried the plates high above his head and his reply was that he didn't want others to see that he was delivering 3-oz Fillet steaks.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #453
Moderator Emeritus

206 lbs this morning. Half Marathon is Nov 11th and I'm not in the shape I'd like to be. I was hoping to be 190 by then ( I'm 6' 2") and that will be a stretch. I always fear one day I'll run and find my knees hurting, since everyone tries to scare me with that. Although, most who say that are significantly overweight, I think their knees are taking more of a beating than mine! Ultimate goal is 177 lbs / 10% body fat.

EDIT: Oh, Sarah, BTW, upped my protien intake and it's really helping, not as hungry, more energy on the runs. Last night averaged 10 minute miles.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #454

176 this morning. Not bad after the England trip.

Laurence,
I don't know what it is about joints, and knees in particular. Being severely overweight is definitely an issue, but I've known lots of overweight people who seem to manage to run and/or play sports with no problems, but others who have never been overweight but have knee problems.

A few months ago I listened to an interview on the radio of a guy who was in his late 30's who literally runs for many hours every day - Forest Gump style running across the whole country. He has been warned about the knees being damaged but has surprised doctors when he underwent examination and scans that showed the wear and tear was no more than would be expected of someone much younger than himself.

If your knees don't hurt, then run, Laurence, run.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:56 PM   #455
Recycles dryer sheets

Down 1 lb to 332. Little steps count too!!
Old 09-28-2007, 07:08 AM   #456
Recycles dryer sheets

Down a pound this week to 198 .. Just checked the weight chart I have been keeping that's 10 pounds in 2 months but only about 2 this month so slow but sure.. Total so far is 52 total pounds lost in about 6 - 7 months..

Vacation next two weeks on the Big Island of Hawaii so I am looking forward to getting some serious workouts in..running and biking... The Ironman triathlon is the 13th so seeing all the athletes should provide some motivation.

Hoping to break through this plateau I seem to have hit.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:40 PM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Down a pound this week to 198 .. Just checked the weight chart I have been keeping that's 10 pounds in 2 months but only about 2 this month so slow but sure.. Total so far is 52 total pounds lost in about 6 - 7 months..

Vacation next two weeks on the Big Island of Hawaii so I am looking forward to getting some serious workouts in..running and biking... The Ironman triathlon is the 13th so seeing all the athletes should provide some motivation.

Hoping to break through this plateau I seem to have hit.
Enjoy your vacation. We had a vacation on the Big Island well over 10 years ago but still have great memories. I hope those athletes inspire you to great things - enjoy - and let us know how you got on and what activities you got up to.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #458
Recycles dryer sheets

Static, 332. But I started walking again on Monday. I have two dogs (Airedale and Chocolate Lab). I hook their collars to a homemade splitter, then to the leash, then to my own belt. Hands free walking of two dogs at the same time. And the added benefit is that they sure help keep my pace up.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #459

That sounds like a great way to keep up the pace, Mike! And fun for the dogs, too.
I have too many dogs to imagine trying to walk them--good thing we have acreage. After your busy summer, injuries and rehab, it must be nice to get back into the exercise groove!

Xyz, my boss is training for the Navy Seal 1/2 Ironman next fall, that stuff is serious! Some kind of inspiration...

I've stepped up the ab work and trying to squeeze in some more cardio at the gym in hopes of getting down another 5-10 lbs before December. I've set myself up another goal--for my 37th birthday in December, I am inviting 7 fun girlfriends to join me for a private birthday pole dancing lesson party! Just good clean fun, but if I'm going to try to dance on a pole, I don't want any jiggly belly!

Should be lots of fun and all our assorted men-folk are fully supportive of the idea....
Never would have dreamed of trying this before losing 60 lbs! I'm @ 146 today.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #460
Recycles dryer sheets

Seeing all the elite athletes around is certainly motivating. I have been keeping up my daily running routine (6 miles / day) and yesterday we rode 25 miles on the bikes after the run. I topped it off with a swim in the pool just to get a little feel of what it might be like to do the three things in a day (although my order of events is a bit backwards) ... I don't see how anyone can make that distance and I am sure impressed by those who can ! I don't have a scale here so it will be interesting to see how I do weight wise when I return. I read an interesting article on the Ironman it was started in 1978 by a retired Navy captain to settle an arguement in Oahu with the first one consisting of 15 contestants. It was featured in Sports Illustrated in 1979 and televised in 1980. In 1981 it was moved to the Big Island of Hawaii. Very interesting how quickly it grew in popularity...

Sarah, 60 pounds ! Wow ! Great to hear how others are making gains...