Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #481
Moderator Emeritus

Gained a little the last couple weeks as I approached my half marathon date. Ran it with DW and we had a blast, not my personal best but it was fun to do it together. I'm taking advantage of this training level to run my first marathon in January. The runs are already getting looooong. A week from Sunday I have a 15 miler.

206 right now, up 4. I'm only 6' 2" so I should be around 180.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #482
Recycles dryer sheets

Laurencewill,
I ran a half marathon last Sunday too (on my own just to see if I could go that far). I agree that is a loooong way, I am not really sure what I am running all that way for, no real plans to race but I do enjoy the scenery. Last time I ran that far was 15 years ago. Gee I wish I was "only" 6'2" but I am 5' 9" and my best weight runs around 170 any lower than that I begin to lose muscle mass and begin to lose strength. Keep us updated on your progress, I am very interested in how you get to the distance.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:25 PM   #483
Moderator Emeritus

All I meant is my weight would be ideal for someone 6' 4".

Will do, I really want to accomplish this!
Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 AM   #484

210 this morning, down from 212 a week ago.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:20 AM   #485

Have any of you guys read that book "Younger Next Year"? I bought it for DH, and just started reading it last night. Very interesting presentation--"dude-ish" sort of language that I think will reach guys better than most blah blah blah exercise and nutrition books. I would really recommend taking a look at it for some inspiration.

Interesting that my weight has held steady at 144-147 with the 80/20 efforts we've done the last few months. After a 2 week hiatus, I was back at the gym last night, and I sure feel it today! Still pretty happy at that weight, but we'll see in Jan what my body fat % story will be.

You go, Laurence, that is so awesome to have such a big hairy audacious goal!
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:30 AM   #486

175 this morning. Not bad - top end of my target range.

I've been on vacation this week so have been getting in more exercise than usual. Thanksgiving day we go on a charity walk (3 miles) to try and burn a few calories before the eating begins.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Have any of you guys read that book "Younger Next Year"? I bought it for DH, and just started reading it last night. Very interesting presentation--"dude-ish" sort of language that I think will reach guys better than most blah blah blah exercise and nutrition books. I would really recommend taking a look at it for some inspiration.
I've just added it to my Christmas wish list - thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #488
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

189.2 this morning!

At this point I figure that three of the four digits are fine (it's that "9" that's a little bit of a problem), so I'm happy about that.

I'm not sure where I was when I last reported here, but I had been as high as about 205 this year, so I'm counting down from there. Ideal is somewhere around 180 depending on muscle.

My kids are noticing the weight loss and commenting on it, which is very nice.

Have scheduled myself to do an Oly triathlon that I did about four or five years ago. My first goal is to beat my time from before, my second goal is to finish in under 3:00 (I'm a middle-to-back-of-the-pack fellow, but I enjoyed it the first time I think!).

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #489
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No posts here for a few weeks -- guess there's Christmas candy lying about.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
No posts here for a few weeks -- guess there's Christmas candy lying about.
I expect there'll be a few of us looking for support and encouragement in the New Year to lose a few pounds
Old 12-25-2007, 01:14 AM   #491

I actually joined the local YMCA a couple of weeks ago with a friend, so we are using each other to stay motivated.

I haven't been weighing myself as for me it's much more about the inches rather than the number on the scale. I figure once I can actually breathe in my favourite jeans I will know that I am on the right track.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:29 AM   #492

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I actually joined the local YMCA a couple of weeks ago with a friend, so we are using each other to stay motivated.

I haven't been weighing myself as for me it's much more about the inches rather than the number on the scale. I figure once I can actually breathe in my favourite jeans I will know that I am on the right track.
Funny you should say that - I am wearing my favorite jeans while staying at my daughter's place over Christmas and I was thinking exactly those thoughts

Joining the YMCA with a friend is a great idea - DW and I signed up 3 years ago for the same reason and it really is better having 2 of you going to keep motivated. I also recommend that you sign up for the YMCA "Fitlinxx". It is free and you can either sign in on-line and log all your exercises or at the YMCA where they have easy to use stations. Whether at the gymn or walking or cycling etc, you track your monthly and weekly progress. I have set myself a personal target of 9,000 points each month which is the equivalent of exercising for 60 minutes a day.

You can find out more about the program at FITLINXX - Your Partner in Fitness and Healthy Living

Some YMCA facilities have their weight machines hooked up to Fitlinxx so that most of the time you don't have to manually keep track of what you do.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #493

Alan, I think my Y has a similar thing, it is a technowave key which records my workout and automatically sets my machines for me. I register before I start my workout and then when I finish I check out. It allows the trainers to monitor my progress. It really is great because by using the key I don't have to think about what position I need to have the various bits and it adjusts the weight automatically for the majority of my workout.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #494

Quote:
Alan, I think my Y has a similar thing, it is a technowave key which records my workout and automatically sets my machines for me. I register before I start my workout and then when I finish I check out. It allows the trainers to monitor my progress. It really is great because by using the key I don't have to think about what position I need to have the various bits and it adjusts the weight automatically for the majority of my workout.
Isn't it just great If it wasn't for the computer system I'd have to carry around a piece of paper just to remember the settings on each machine.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:32 PM   #495

Went to the gym today and stuck my handy little key in the slot and off I went. I am thinking about signing up for the 12 week challenge that starts in early January where they measure your fitness and your bits and bobs and track to see how you go against your age group. I thought it might help me stay motivated, that fear of being at the bottom of my age group.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #496

Quote:
Went to the gym today and stuck my handy little key in the slot and off I went. I am thinking about signing up for the 12 week challenge that starts in early January where they measure your fitness and your bits and bobs and track to see how you go against your age group. I thought it might help me stay motivated, that fear of being at the bottom of my age group.

Do it !!

The FitLinxx thing has the features where you can see how you rank against various age groups plus male/female. Having targets and rankings can be a good motivator
Old 12-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
189.2 this morning!
187.6 this morning!

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #498

176 this morning - 1lb above my target range. Not bad considering last few days away eating and drinking
Old 12-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #499

Quote:
I like the sound of that! I'm so competitive anyway!

I'm at 150 today, five lbs above where I'm trying to stay--the Christmas holiday was very good to me! I've started back with the journal and at the gym every day once more! My sister started working with our trainer, so we doubled up one day when DH was sick--and our competitive nature kicked in! I was sore for days!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:48 AM   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

I'm at 150 today, five lbs above where I'm trying to stay--the Christmas holiday was very good to me! I've started back with the journal and at the gym every day once more! My sister started working with our trainer, so we doubled up one day when DH was sick--and our competitive nature kicked in! I was sore for days!

Christmas holiday treats have "stuck" on me, too - despite working out while on our Christmas vacation! I gained 3#, up to 137, but this morning back down to 136 - so part of it is water fluctuation. I've been taking measurements, though, all along, and have only gone up ~ 1/4 inch on my hips. Hoping to take it right back off. I've been doing a new dance fitness workout that I absolutely love! Although I haven't lost much weight over the past few months, I've lost almost an inch on my hips, and my clothes fit much better. I can truly say I can see it converting over to muscle

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote