Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #521

My Dream--just do it! This thread helped me lose 60 lbs (DH lost the same) since last November! Knowing you have to post your weight will help keep you motivated.

I liken exercise to wearing your seat belt: like everyone else, I never wore my seat belt as a teenager, until a bad wreck where I flipped a Blazer off a 30 foot embankment and did some 360s to get to the bottom. We were all okay, but I put a sticker on the dash after that that said "Seat belt required". The habit of wearing my seatbelt started from the sticker.
Going to the gym every day, and writing down my weight and how many calories I eat every day, is just like that sticker! I'm on my 4th or 5th copy of Corinne Netzer's Calorie Counter's Diary, a simple little spiral bound book to keep track of such things. Go get one and keep it on the kitchen counter (right next to the chocolate!).
Before we lost this weight, we could only dream of some of the stuff we're doing. In fact, DH is going to Costa Rica on Saturday, planning to climb the highest peak there with some friends. 60 lbs ago, he'd have stayed at the bar instead!
I'm at 147 today, and did two "almost pull-ups" Tuesday night with the trainer, but I'm thinking at this point it is more of a workout for him than me (he lifted me up)!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
If you want to find a true maximum heart rate for yourself, you might try this method from Wikipedia.
Insanity,

Good post, thanks for the info, excellent stuff. The simple version of Recovery Rate I stated comes from the book "Younger Next Year".

I looked up the Wikapedia link which was also very interesting. When I had my last full physical at work last year it included an ekg and the Doc said to me "Do you know you have a resting heart rate in the 40's? - I wish I had a resting heart rate in the 40's". Given that the company Doc certainly does not look fit or thin, maybe he would be in a bad way if his heart rate was that low.

Bradycardia is defined as a heart rate less than 60 beats per minute although it is seldom symptomatic until below 50 bpm. Trained athletes tend to have slow resting heart rates, and resting bradycardia in athletes should not be considered abnormal if the individual has no symptoms associated with it. Again, this number can vary as smaller people and children have faster heart rates than adults.

I am not a trained athlete and never have been, but I used to play a lot of sport up to age 40, then with injuries stopped everything and thought that low heart rate was long gone. But 5 or 6 years later I joined WW at work, started exercising and low and behold 18 months later at my annual physical I was 40lbs lighter and my low heart rate had come back.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
I
So what's the game plan, I read these post and share idea's in an effort to help motivate me to loose the 45 lbs?

Hmmmm, I hope I can do this...........no wait, I'm suppost to say. I can do this.

May this be my dream for 2008.
The nice thing about this thread is that you don't have to turn up to meetings to get encouragement - you can go exercise instead and then attend the "meeting" on this thread from your chair

A great thing about the body is that it can reverse course, repair and rejuvenate itself. I've seen it stated several times and am now fully convinced that exercise is more important than weight or BMI. Being fit and fat is much better for lifespan and quality of life than being thin and out of shape. (in my opinion). Usually getting fit will result in losing weight, particularly if you eat nutritious foods, so don't get focused only on the weight and cutting back eating, you need to exercise as well.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:59 AM   #524
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
So what's the game plan, I read these post and share idea's in an effort to help motivate me to loose the 45 lbs?

Hmmmm, I hope I can do this...........no wait, I'm suppost to say. I can do this.
Motivation? I'd like to say that's simple, but it's not. One motivator you might consider, however, is to visit one of those community health tables that show up at malls and county fairs and such so people can get their blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar checked. (I suggest you can pay cash so you can keep the results out of your medical record and your health insurance's radar.) If you're in the kind of shape you describe, the results could well be a scary wake-up call.

Beyond that . . . hey, you have this really nifty machine called "your body." It's served you well to get you through to retirement without requiring a new air filter or oil change, but it's good to remember that even the best-made machine eventually wears out, and there's no chance at all that you'll be able to do a trade-in on a newer model. The good news is that, with careful maintainance, it could well last you another thirty, forty, fifty years before it starts getting really hard to maintain and keep running. The bad news is, if you don't do that maintainance you may start having problems well before then, but at least you'll have retired early so you can get a couple good years on the tires before your first -- perhaps your last -- blow out.

John Lennon said it to a friend in her 20s who had lost her husband and months later was still having a really hard time dealing with it: You have two choices. You can decide you're going to live, or you're going to die. Your situation is different, but the choice is the same.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #525
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
My Dream--just do it! This thread helped me lose 60 lbs (DH lost the same) since last November! Knowing you have to post your weight will help keep you motivated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The nice thing about this thread is that you don't have to turn up to meetings to get encouragement - you can go exercise instead and then attend the "meeting" on this thread from your chair
Quote:
Motivation? I'd like to say that's simple, but it's not.Good luck!

Thanks Sarah, Alan and Insanity, I'm going to do my best. I will post next Wednesday with my results. I'll take that luck Insanity, I think I'll need it.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #526
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Christmas holiday treats have "stuck" on me, too - despite working out while on our Christmas vacation! I gained 3#, up to 137, but this morning back down to 136 - so part of it is water fluctuation. I've been taking measurements, though, all along, and have only gone up ~ 1/4 inch on my hips. Hoping to take it right back off. I've been doing a new dance fitness workout that I absolutely love! Although I haven't lost much weight over the past few months, I've lost almost an inch on my hips, and my clothes fit much better. I can truly say I can see it converting over to muscle
Well, I am back from a cruise to the Western Caribbean last week, and I can't believe it but I only gained one pound! That's quite a feat given that you have nonstop access to food, food, food. And now that I have been home a week, I've lost a few more pounds, and I am down to 133. Hoping to keep this trend going. Loving my new dance workout!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #527

Quote:
Well, I am back from a cruise to the Western Caribbean last week, and I can't believe it but I only gained one pound! That's quite a feat given that you have nonstop access to food, food, food. And now that I have been home a week, I've lost a few more pounds, and I am down to 133. Hoping to keep this trend going. Loving my new dance workout!
Great work, but don't let your guard down. I often come back from a vacation and congratulate myself on little or no weight gain but it seems to be delayed and creeps up over a few days after I'm back, so jump on it now and get dancing and revert to normal sensible eating
Old 01-23-2008, 02:15 PM   #528
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ok..........time to buck up! Today I weigh 242 pounds. My doctor wants me to lose 20 pounds in 3 months. I will post every week from now on.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #529

Good, FD! What's your exercise and diet plan?

I'm back to writing everything down and fighting the gym crowds of "resolutionaries".

150 today, and I've gotta get back under 145--really my new goal is 140.
Threw out all the bad stuff in the fridge and cabinets--staying out of the bars (the hardest part) and trying to juggle the gym, work, and now college classes. I wish studying burned more calories--I'd be skinny!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #530
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Good, FD! What's your exercise and diet plan?
1)Walk on treadmill for 30 minutes every morning.

2)See a dietician about diet.

3)Join local health club. The owner is a friend and personal trainer, and he offered me a sweetheart deal to join, waiving all the fees, first 2 weeks free, and a family membership for the same price as a single................

Old 01-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #531
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Lost a pound, down to 132#. Woo-hoo! I'm counting calories, which can be a pain until you get some standard "meals" figured out. I limit myself to about 300 cal for breakfast, 400 for lunch, and 500 for dinner. I have a 100 cal snack around 3 or 4 p.m. and an evening 100 cal snack with herbal tea. The herbal tea is a good substitute for those beer(s) I used to enjoy which put the extra pounds on me!

So all in all following about a 1400 cal/day plan. I still feel sooo hungry though. It sure is hard losing weight!

My husband is on board this time dieting with me. Sooooo much easier. He isn't drinking beer in front of me and snacking on nacho chips

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #532

Quote:
My husband is on board this time dieting with me. Sooooo much easier. He isn't drinking beer in front of me and snacking on nacho chips
That makes so much difference - hopefully you'll find it much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
1)Walk on treadmill for 30 minutes every morning.

2)See a dietician about diet.

3)Join local health club. The owner is a friend and personal trainer, and he offered me a sweetheart deal to join, waiving all the fees, first 2 weeks free, and a family membership for the same price as a single................
FD, these are great first steps, please do keep us informed on progress.

As for myself, I weighed in at 175.5, so I'm pretty cose to my target of 172. I have an appointment with a trainer at my new YMCA tomorrow night to get the weight machines and a new Fitlinxx account. (in the move to my new town I couldn't retain my old Fitlinxx account).

I'm going to try without counting calories/points this time. Just back to nutrituous foods and regular exercise.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #533
Recycles dryer sheets

Jan-23-08: At 173.5 lbs, BMI of 26.4
Jan-16-08: At 174.0 lbs, BMI of 26.5
Jan-09-08: At 175.0 lbs, BMI of 26.6

Weight better today. Blood pressure . . . not so good. Sucky, even. :-( I have a history where my BP varies from normal to hypertensive with no particular rhyme or reason to the variations. My weight and BMI are easy numbers to look at and report, but my BPs are the numbers that count -- and scare me -- more.

Since other people have commented on diet & exercise: I don't really count calories, but I do watch what I eat and I exercise. Food-wise my plan is simply to watch what I eat, managing portion sizes and doing my best to avoid junk, excessively salty, and fatty foods. Exercise-wise I used to workout twice a week (70% - 30% the other 50% - 50% weights-cardio) but am now doing four or five workouts (0-100, 70-30, and two or three 50-50) a week.

Quote:
At 175 lbs this morning with a waist measurement of 35 inches, BMI of 26.6 and waist-to-hip ratio of 95%. My goal is to get into the healthy weight range again by getting my BMI under 25 or my waist-to-hip ratio waist under 90%.

At 5'8" with hips measuring 37" that makes target weight 164.5 lbs and target waist measurement 33.25". 10.5 lbs and 1.75" to go.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #534

Quote:
Weight better today. Blood pressure . . . not so good. Sucky, even. :-( I have a history where my BP varies from normal to hypertensive with no particular rhyme or reason to the variations. My weight and BMI are easy numbers to look at and report, but my BPs are the numbers that count -- and scare me -- more.

Since other people have commented on diet & exercise: I don't really count calories, but I do watch what I eat and I exercise. Food-wise my plan is simply to watch what I eat, managing portion sizes and doing my best to avoid junk, excessively salty, and fatty foods. Exercise-wise I used to workout twice a week (70% - 30% the other 50% - 50% weights-cardio) but am now doing four or five workouts (0-100, 70-30, and two or three 50-50) a week.
The book I've just finished reading recommends exercising 6 days a week for the rest of your life. 4 cardio and 2 strength training, each 45 - 60 minutes. Very much recommends building up to this - use a heart monitor to a) ensure you are not over-doing and b) ensure that you are doing enough.

The book is definitely against dieting, but insists that you need to stop eating crap.

Many studies now show that it is better to be fit than thin. If thin comes with fit, then great, but for a better quality of life in the last third then lots of exercise is the key.

I had a health test once while on a management course where my overall physical and mental health was tested, including blood work. My "health age" came out well below my actual age but my waist to hip was wrong (I was a 40" waist then) and I asked the Doc about it. He said, non-linear, don't worry about it, increase your exrcise regime and stay fit, 'cos fit is what counts.

Years later my waist is now 35" after losing 40lbs, but I did have to journal what I ate and count points to achieve that loss over a 9 month period about 6 years back.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #535
Recycles dryer sheets

I kind of agree, but think a "workout" doesn't have to be in a gym or utilize traditional fitness equipment. A couple hours on a surfboard or working in the garden is a workout, too, and if that's what you enjoy, that's what you should do. You're much more likely to stick with something, make it a lifestyle you can happily maintain, when you think it is fun instead of as a w*rkout.

I'd also like to suggest that the ratio of strength to cardio workouts is not universal, and needs to be tuned to your body type. People with naturally heavy hyposthenic/endomorphic types would do well on the exercise regimine you suggested, but people who tend more toward naturally slender asthenic/ectomorphic body types need to spend more time on strength and core fitness.

My "mesomorphic" body type builds muscle so friggin easily that, if I were to do two, full-on weights-only workouts a week I'd wind working way more weight than would be healthy for my joints. So I limit myself to one 60-minute weights-intensive workout a week (14 exercises, two sets, done par-course style) and limit any other weights workouts to a single lower-intensity rotation matched with an equal amount of aerobics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The book I've just finished reading recommends exercising 6 days a week for the rest of your life. 4 cardio and 2 strength training, each 45 - 60 minutes. Very much recommends building up to this - use a heart monitor to a) ensure you are not over-doing and b) ensure that you are doing enough.

The book is definitely against dieting, but insists that you need to stop eating crap.

Many studies now show that it is better to be fit than thin. If thin comes with fit, then great, but for a better quality of life in the last third then lots of exercise is the key.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #536

Finally posting here.

Weds was 196.8 17.1% body fat.
Today was 197.4 16.2% body fat.

The scale's fat readings are highly influenced by water levels, so I take several days worth of readings to figure out more or less where I am, and my readings are clustering more around the upper 16's.

After the holidays, I had a one-day peak at 207 and 18.4% and am still working down from that. 7 years ago peaked at 260 and goodness only knows how much fat. I'm aiming for 192 and low 15's and then take it from there.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #537
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Finally posting here.

Weds was 196.8 17.1% body fat.
Today was 197.4 16.2% body fat.

The scale's fat readings are highly influenced by water levels, so I take several days worth of readings to figure out more or less where I am, and my readings are clustering more around the upper 16's.

After the holidays, I had a one-day peak at 207 and 18.4% and am still working down from that. 7 years ago peaked at 260 and goodness only knows how much fat. I'm aiming for 192 and low 15's and then take it from there.
Congrats...........you're keeping with the plan.........

I hope to lose 32 pounds by the end of this year........putting me at 210, and I think the BMI will drop a lot too..........

Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #538

I hit my bottom this morning....came to the realization that I only fit in a few shirts and four pants and I literally had nothing to wear that did not make me look like a stuffed sausage!
I have ballooned up to 215 pds...the last time I weighed that much was in the throes of my drinking career.....I cannot do this anymore.

Weight: 215 pds
Plan: Walk half hour for lunch every day instead of just work/eat through it.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:03 AM   #539
Recycles dryer sheets

Current 204.8 lbs - BMI 29.4
Goal by August 31, 2008 170 lbs - BMI 24.4

Started wellness program on August 1, 2007 - 232 lbs - BMI 33.3

Exercise 7 days a week - 30 minutes on Elliptical trainer and 15 minutes on a treadmill at home - heart rate between 107 and 135

Requirements for University's (where I teach) Wellness Plan (to receive points which lead to small incentive rewards like ipods or a TV):

Steps - 10,000 per day - My goal is 15,000 per day - I usually average 13,000 perday
Veggies/Fruit - 3 Veggie servings per day and 2 fruit per day - I usually do 7 veggie servings per day and 2 fruit
Sleep - 7 hours per day - I just make it almost every day
Water - 64 oz per day - I always make this
Exercise - 30 minutes aerobic (from heart rate table by age) - for six weeks I have done this every day but one - previously not so good
Weight - either be in acceptable weight range (for my height their table is 160-180) or lose 2% of previous months weight - since program started
in August, I have lost over 2% per month.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #540

Quote:
I kind of agree, but think a "workout" doesn't have to be in a gym or utilize traditional fitness equipment. A couple hours on a surfboard or working in the garden is a workout, too, and if that's what you enjoy, that's what you should do. You're much more likely to stick with something, make it a lifestyle you can happily maintain, when you think it is fun instead of as a w*rkout.

I'd also like to suggest that the ratio of strength to cardio workouts is not universal, and needs to be tuned to your body type. People with naturally heavy hyposthenic/endomorphic types would do well on the exercise regimine you suggested, but people who tend more toward naturally slender asthenic/ectomorphic body types need to spend more time on strength and core fitness.

My "mesomorphic" body type builds muscle so friggin easily that, if I were to do two, full-on weights-only workouts a week I'd wind working way more weight than would be healthy for my joints. So I limit myself to one 60-minute weights-intensive workout a week (14 exercises, two sets, done par-course style) and limit any other weights workouts to a single lower-intensity rotation matched with an equal amount of aerobics.
Agree completely to everything you say

One of the book's coauthors is big into cross country skiing and outdoor cycling (he's in his seventies). I cycle outdoors with DW plus I also play singles tennis.