Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Goal: 192.0 15.3%

Well, last night we went to Outback. DW and I split a Bloomin' Onion. I had some of the pumpernickel bread, a Caesar salad, a 12-ounce Outback Special (medium), and a baked potato with everything (butter, sour cream, cheese, chives, bacon).

Then on the way home we stopped at Dairy Queen and I got a small peanut butter cup Blizzard.

Sometimes you just have to live...
Given that you are so close to your goal, you can "live a little". I used to be able to eat that kind of quantity and love both Outback and DQ, but these days I am pleased to say that when I splurge I fill up very fast and could not eat half of your recent feast.

I was 173 again today. I have now been in my target range for 5 years after losing 40lb and it is definitely much easier these days. On Friday we were visiting friends in Texas and I splurged by going down to our favorite Irish pub and eating half of DW's chicken salad, plus some garlic bread, washed down with with 4 x 20oz pints of Boddingtons ale. Lovely. Next day went on a 10 mile bike ride and 90 minutes of singles tennis to blow away the cobwebs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #722

DW has been watching a program on TLC called I can make you thin.

Lots of hype, but good sense and she has lost the stubborn few pounds she has been trying to get rid of for many months. The main message, and what she has been practicing - and I can't help but follow her lead - is 4 simple rules.

Eat what you want

Eat when you want

Eat conciously -- slowly, at the dinner table, no distractions, put your folk down between mouthfuls, lots of chewing, really taste what you are eating.

STOP when you are full even if it means throwing food away.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #723
Full time employment: Posting here.

End of week 4: down 2.2 lbs

Total Lost = 10.8 lbs

Old 04-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #724

Quote from Simple Girl: 127#; still in the zone but watching it closely. Sick for the second week in a row so haven't worked out much!

I was able to get some thai basil recently so I made some green curry...ah, the calories in coconut milk! Worth it!

SG, They make light coconut milk, I use it with little difference in taste, to me. Want to share your recipe? I'm not so good with Thai and Indian food--love it but know little about how to prepare it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #725
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Two days late......still at 230..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #726
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

SG, They make light coconut milk, I use it with little difference in taste, to me. Want to share your recipe? I'm not so good with Thai and Indian food--love it but know little about how to prepare it.
Yeah, I need to break down and make myself try the light stuff...the reason I don't is because the recipe says to let the thick coconut milk rise to the top. I was doubting the light stuff would do that. However, I'll never know unless I try.

Some of the ingredients can be found in a regular grocery store, but many are only found in an asian grocery store. CALL them ahead of time to make sure they have Thai basil and the lime leaves (p.s. the lime leaves freeze really nicely but the basil goes bad quickly and must be used ASAP). Not all asian grocery stores have the thai basil...and it MUST be thai (tastes sort of like licorice) for this recipe to be authentic.

Here's my recipe...warning, it's addictive! And I apologize to my fellow dieters...this isn't lo-fat!

Green Curry with Chicken(or beef/shrimp)
  • 2 cups coconut milk
  • 1/2 of a 4 oz. can of green curry paste (we like it HOT...adjust for your palate. Or use red curry for less heat.)
  • 12 oz of boneless chicken, thinly sliced (we put it in the freezer for 15 or 20 minutes, then run it through the slicer attachment on our food processor for really thin slices)
  • 1/2 cup chopped eggplant
  • 1/4 cup pea eggplants (if you can't find pea eggplants, just use extra chopped eggplant. BTW, the pea eggplants have a very interesting almost bitter taste...really good - but I usually can't find them)
  • 2 tbsps palm sugar (if you can't find palm sugar, use raw sugar or brown sugar)
  • 2 kaffir lime leaves, stemmed
  • 1/2 to 1 cup (or more...to taste) loosely packed thai basil leaves
  • 2 tbsps fish sauce
  • 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
Let the coconut milk stand and thick coconut milk will rise to the top; spoon thick coconut milk into small bowl. (or, if you know your canned milk has sat still for a while, just pour off the thick part off the top.)

In a wok or large frying pan, heat thick coconut milk over medium-high heat 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly, until it starts to separate. (if it doesn't separate, you can add a little oil) Add the green curry paste and fry, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Add chicken and cook until meat is opaque on all sides, 2-3 minutes. Add remaining thin coconut milk and bring to a boil. Add the eggplants and red pepper and simmer for 4 minutes, until slightly soft. Add palm sugar to taste. Tear kaffir lime leaves (I roll them up and cut with kitchen shears into tiny slivers) and basil leaves into pieces and add. Stir in fish sauce.
Serve with jasmine rice.

ENJOY!

(if you make with shrimp, add them after the eggplants to the boiling coconut milk since they don't take long to cook)

Oh, also - cut up/prep everything before you start to cook. It cooks really fast!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #727

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
1/30: 196.0 16.6%
2/06: 198.2 16.9%
2/13: 194.8 16.4%
2/20: 191.8 16.5%
2/27: 192.0 16.6%
3/05: 190.0 16.3%
3/12: 192.8 16.2%
3/19: 191.2 15.8%
3/26: 193.2 16.4%
4/02: 192.6 15.6%
4/09: 193.6 15.8%
4/16: 187.4 16.2%

New Goal: 185.0 15.3%

Heh, I got an outlying data point this week. My water percentage was low, which causes the fat percentage to rise. Last night I had a good Jiu Jitsu workout (though I'm sporting a shiner from an inadvertant knee to the head), and eating my salad afterwards seemed like too much effort. So I had a slice of toast with peanut butter for dinner.

I decided to lower my goal. 185 would be really cool. 192 was always a reachable interim goal. I don't see myself getting below 185, so I think that's my final goal.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 AM   #728

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
127#; still in the zone but watching it closely. Sick for the second week in a row so haven't worked out much.
Still doing well keeping in my maintenance zone - 127#. Yesterday I was 128, though, so still have to closely watch what I eat.

I'm back to working out regularly now, and it feels great to be back on the exercise wagon again!

Congrats on the new low Kronk!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 04-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #729

173 again - right where I want it. DW and I did a new weight training session with our trainer - very invigorating - hoo aah
Old 04-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #730
Give me a forum ...

I won't get a weight until maybe next week........really going to try to eat less because now I am basically sedentary.........

Old 04-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #731

Get some free weights. Do curls till your arms fall off when you get home at night. You can do those without putting weight on the ankle.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #732

DW and I were in the gym tonight having a session with our personal trainer. One of the exercises I was doing included holding 50lbs while doing static lunges for which I was complaining about (as one does). She reminded me that only 6 years ago I was 50lb heavier and carrying that weight around every minute of the day.

50lb is VERY heavy when you hold in your hands like that and think that it used to be mostly on my gut and upper body.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #733

End of week 5: down 4.2 lbs

Total Lost = 15.0 lbs

Old 04-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #734
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Get some free weights. Do curls till your arms fall off when you get home at night. You can do those without putting weight on the ankle.
Lately I have been thinking about 12 and 16 ounce curls..........

Old 04-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #735

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Lately I have been thinking about 12 and 16 ounce curls..........
Well you could do both. You will have ripped arms and a good buzz
Old 04-23-2008, 07:24 AM   #736

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Still doing well keeping in my maintenance zone - 127#. Yesterday I was 128, though, so still have to closely watch what I eat.

I'm back to working out regularly now, and it feels great to be back on the exercise wagon again!
125#. Yippee!

I've been watching the intake closer this week and also kicking my own butt working out. I took an hour step class (with the step on the second level) and then did my dance workout for 30 minutes after that. My legs were screamin' that night! Felt fine the next day, though.

I think aerobically I am in the best shape I have ever been, even though I've weighed less in the past. That sure does feel good to say that at 40 years old! And one of my friends commented on me losing weight the other day, which felt great!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #737

I thinks that Simple Girl and Calgary Girl are due for some serious bathing suit shopping! Great going ladies!

I'm maintaining, barely at 149 at the moment, but with finals and our client seminar I'm not at the gym at all. Sigh. Next week...the battle cry....

Oh, and while I haven't tried the Curry recipe, I did make up a nice one last night with coconut milk--I put two haddock loins in a baking dish with sliced leeks, plus some diced fresh tomatoes/onions/peppers and poured the coconut milk over the top. Baked at 325 for about 35 minutes--yummy--like a chowder almost, but I could leave it in the oven instead of fiddling with the stove. Good to do while I was slaving over my poli sci essay final. Whew!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:43 PM   #738

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
1/30: 196.0 16.6%
2/06: 198.2 16.9%
2/13: 194.8 16.4%
2/20: 191.8 16.5%
2/27: 192.0 16.6%
3/05: 190.0 16.3%
3/12: 192.8 16.2%
3/19: 191.2 15.8%
3/26: 193.2 16.4%
4/02: 192.6 15.6%
4/09: 193.6 15.8%
4/16: 187.4 16.2%
4/23: 193.6 15.4%

New Goal: 185.0 15.3%

Last night turned into Date Night again. So I ended up eating a whole lot. This is why I weigh myself every day -- weight has been steadily 190-191 over the last week, which is really good for me. It'll drop back down tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #739

[quote=Sarah in SC;647817]I thinks that Simple Girl and Calgary Girl are due for some serious bathing suit shopping! Great going ladies!
quote]

Not quite there yet but I'm trying.

Slight setback today:
End of week 6: UP 0.4 lbs
Total Lost: 14.6 lbs

Didn't have a chance to really exercise the past few days so I need to get back into it this week!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #740

Quote:
I thinks that Simple Girl and Calgary Girl are due for some serious bathing suit shopping! Great going ladies! !
Ditto, great work. I'm maintaining at 173.

Quote:
I put two haddock loins in a baking dish
I certainly don't claim to be a chef or biologist, but I never realized haddock had loins