Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

re: It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022
Old 01-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

No change this week, still 342. But start using the training center at the joint tomorrow when I go back to work.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2007, 07:04 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab

I tried to calculate what sort of energy was required to break my wrist. 200lbs falling from about 3 ft concentrated on an area of about a square inch. I found that the radius will fracture under a compression load of about 16,000 psi. But I couldn't figure out how to relate that to the energy of my fall.

Wab: Been a tough winter in the PacNW.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:33 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Today is wednesday. Where are all the numbers?
Three different scales say I weigh 186, 193, and 199. They're all quite precise, for whatever that's worth. Do I get to choose which one's the most accurate?

The postal scale says that my orthopedic knee braces weigh two pounds each. Here's a hint from our local postmaster: You don't have to be wearing them to figure out how much they weigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
One thing I don't get about BMI, it doesn't seem to use your sex as an input. But a 5-9" man at 150# is going to be in a different place from a woman the same height and weight, unless she is unusually heavily muscled.
BMI ignores both gender and musculature, so as a measure of health & fitness I'm not sure that it's worth much more than the convenience of a simple standard of comparison that should be combined with other factors like waist size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I tried to calculate what sort of energy was required to break my wrist. 200lbs falling from about 3 ft concentrated on an area of about a square inch. I found that the radius will fracture under a compression load of about 16,000 psi. But I couldn't figure out how to relate that to the energy of my fall.
Any mechanical engineering geeks in the house?
Yeah, upgrading from statics to dynamics means that the force is less important than the effective application of momentum & leverage! The fall probably only had to break a tiny part of the ossified matrix before the rest of it collapsed like a house of cards...

For example, was the injury a classic defensive wound? Would it have been avoided if you'd had the chance to execute a roll or at least curl into a fetal ball?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

HEY JJ - I like your BMI better than my trainer's. Can I quit now, since I've reached one of my goals? Hmm... wonder if his scale was off, too!!! (a girl can hope, can't she?!). Hope you all are doing well today on this challenge. Katie
Old 01-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #65

inspired by wednesday weigh ins i have started laps at the swimming hall of fame in lauderdale. just got back from my 18-mile round trip bike ride there. i stopped swimming in my favorite pool when mom told me she couldn't handle it anymore. we swam there for years. then later, as she started to forget how to swim, the lifeguards kept good watch on her so i could do my laps. eventually she was just swimming with only one arm coming out of the water, then she was down to the breast stroke, then back to the doggie paddle and then that was it.

so, i'm a little sad but it felt good. it really is the most wonderful pool. mom loved it there. well, it's good to be moving forward. boy am i hungry.

[img width=750 height=562]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/lazygood4nothinbum/a1a-southbound.jpg[/img]

[img width=750 height=495]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/lazygood4nothinbum/swim-hall-of-fame.jpg[/img]

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 01-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice adjustable stem. I just got one of those, and it's great to get the handlebar height just right.

Thanks for the photos -- they make me want to go to a warm beach.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is unreal Lazygood4!

In September of 1999 my brother took an advanced diving course just a short distance from your pool. We stayed in a solid concrete bunker type motel just off Seabreeze Blvd.(more on that later). Google map shows it's still there.

He took the courses and I just mainly lazed around the pool and the beach just across the road.

As you well know, that's when Floyd made a beeline for Ft. Lauderdale and at the last minute veered north. Half the motel buggered off and got caught in the rush upstate. The rest of us stayed. The owner said the motel was built in the 50's of concrete and could withstand a tidal wave.

Now to the funny part!

As part of his training my bro had to train a newbie (me) for a novice dive, so we all went to your pool.

It was my first time in diving gear and I'm a quick study so everything went well.

The funniest thing though was swimming around the bottom of the pool and looking at all the hairballs, snot streamers, scabs, bugs and bandaids.

The next day we all went out to the reef and I had my first dive. Amazing experience. Clear water and lots of coral and fish.

I really loved the public beach and walkway up to Las Olas and the whole city in general. The Jungle Queen riverboat was only a 2 minute walk from my place and I got to see some pretty nice mansions and a lot of humungus yachts. I went up to Butterfly World and both of us got to the big Sawgrass Mills Mall.

So my advice to you is stay on the surface at the International Hall of Fame swimming pool.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Nice adjustable stem. I just got one of those, and it's great to get the handlebar height just right.

Thanks for the photos -- they make me want to go to a warm beach.
come on down. the water's fine . that's a hybrid but i call it the cruiser. adjustability makes big difference. is set up for comfy upright bike rides to the beach or around town, also suitable for flat trails. i got it with a 1 size too small frame and keep the seat (on a quick release latch) high for me. i figured that way i could have friends with shorter legs borrow for easy trail rides or to head to the beach with me on visits. have a regular roadie for serious rides and a really fun full suspension bike for trails, single track or urban assaults. very handy for hopping curbs and cutting off traffic during peak tourist season or after a storm when roads are wet. that puppy's got hayes hydraulic disc brakes. hey, if it's good enough for a harley, it's good enough for my bicycle.

zipper, thanx for the gruesome details; i thought we sent you back to charm school. i assume you were training in the multipurpose pool, closest to the ocean in the pic. that pool is 4 ft lap depth on one end but 12 or 15 feet on other. so all the crap would wind up where you were. with hurricane on the way, perhaps they had other things to do besides vacuuming for you. generally the pools are kept quite clean. i normally swim in the tournament pool but was in the multi today. outside of some wind blown debris on the bottom, the water was crystal clear and clean. visibility excellent.

i used to know the jungle queen's owner's son back in college. he was a friend of a friend of a cousin of mine. my cousin had told me her friend lived in town. so of course i ran into these guys at a party in my room the first day i came to college. we played chess a few times after that but he could never beat me and his ego couldn't handle that. his parents had a nice house off the intracoastal with a 50something footer out back.

as to the huge yachts and mansions, those would be the guys who did not retire early (edit: and south americans parking assets.)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 01-17-2007, 12:19 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I'll have to change tactics. I've been trying the "skip breakfast - eat out for lunch - binge on pizza at 10:30 p.m." approach, and that isn't working too well. Guess I should try doing what worked before (1500 calories spread evenly throughout the day, healthier foods, lifting weights).

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:20 PM   #70

tough week after dealing with realtors & mom's house. i get so sad when i have to go there. way too depressing. i'm not even getting on the scale. i'll try again next week.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #71

213. Up, up, and away.

-CC
Old 01-17-2007, 07:59 PM   #72
Administrator

171, down 2lbs on the week

Amazing what having a target date for weigh-ins will do. My target range is 168 - 172.

I just finished watching the first of a new series on BBC Americas (30 mins long) where they take a volunteer who is obviously very unhealthy, and medically estimate the person's heath age after a whole battery of physical and medical tests including blood work, scans etc. Then they put the subject on an 8 week program of change in diet, exercise with a personal trainer then go back and re-do the tests.

Athe start of this first week the 53 year old lady was very obese, had beginning stages of alcohol damage to the liver, fat on the heart etc. Life expectancy for the average 53 yr old woman is 85, her medical life expectancy was 65.

After 8 weeks she was transformed, reduced body fat including internal body fat on heart, waist size 34.5", etc. Liver damage already showing lots of improvement. New medical life expectancy 81. I hadn't realized how quickly you turn around decades of a sedentary heavy drinking lifestyle. the body really is remarkable.

the program is called "Turning Back The Clock"
http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/96/index.jsp
Old 01-18-2007, 03:02 AM   #73

Joining late but better late than never

48, 6', 200.5# after the holiday splurge and way too much business travel. My start date is 1/14/07. I live in a house with 3 skinny females that keep the cupboards full of fat and sugar. Nothing like a challenge. I'll weigh in next week.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:56 AM   #74

No change over last Wed. I consider that a victory since I'm still not able to do any cardio work with my ankle.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Old 01-18-2007, 06:42 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

341, only down one pound. But it is DOWN.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Joining late, but down to 179 today from a high of 204 in November. About 1100 calories a day, 2x week personal trainer, new bikes! A challenge from my insanely healthy boss; who pays for the trainer. Hoping to get to 150. 5' 8" 36 yrs old.
If only beer had no calories....sigh.

Sarah

Old 01-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #77

Up one pound, to 135# again

Started counting calories yesterday, doing a 1300 cal/day plan.

McClesters - how do you manage on 1100 calories? I'm starving on 1300! BTW, great job so far!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 01-18-2007, 07:27 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I starve, I promise. It sucks. We do go out and eat some awesome Cuban food and drink some beer periodically, blowing out the calorie count. On the next two days after those, I really starve. But you can get used to it.
We are doing the Zone thing, 40% of calories from veggies and fruit, 30% from lean protein, and 30% from fat. It is a bit approximate, but I've learned some dramatic lessons about portion size (bought a little kitchen scale). One chicken breast is two servings? Damn!

Sarah

Old 01-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
I starve, I promise. It sucks. We do go out and eat some awesome Cuban food and drink some beer periodically, blowing out the calorie count. On the next two days after those, I really starve. But you can get used to it.
We are doing the Zone thing, 40% of calories from veggies and fruit, 30% from lean protein, and 30% from fat. It is a bit approximate, but I've learned some dramatic lessons about portion size (bought a little kitchen scale). One chicken breast is two servings? Damn!

Sarah
Sorry to hear you are starving, too...but gotta admit, it makes me feel better! LOL. Misery loves company.

You know, you are right, you do get used to it. I have to remind myself of that. It seems the first 3-5 days you are REALLY starving, then your stomach shrinks or something, and it doesn't feel quite as bad.

You are soooo right about portion size. I have a kitchen scale, too. I've always had a problem with portion size. That's why I seem to only be able to lose weight if I weigh and measure. It's really time consuming, though, especially when you first start out. I'm using an excel document now where I enter the calorie counts for my typical foods, and I add to it as I go. I then run a daily tally of calories as well. Easier for me than recalculating it all day.

I've also really been focusing on eating SLOWER. I try to make each meal last at least 20 minutes. Didn't realize how fast I was gobbling my food down. I can't believe the difference this makes - not only in feeling fuller, but having less indigestion (I have bad reflux).

We keep our fat to < 30% too. Lots of veggies, whole grains in our diet.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 01-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Another great use for excel!
I am actually using the Corinne Netzer Dieter's Diary (little spiral bound book) so I can carry it to work and back, and it has a calorie counter in the back. Keeping to the same handful of meals makes it easier to keep track of calories, and it is easy to see when you aren't losing, why! My boss bought me the book, and seems pleased that I've kept it up for a month and a half. I think the old adage about goals is true: what gets measured gets done.

Closed Thread