Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #861
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
Actually, our CFL team is called the Calgary Stampeders. Saskatchewan has the Roughriders.

The Stampede is a blast but most locals are happy when it's over....have a year to detox!!

Wow I screwed that up. Thanks for the correction!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

My Testimonial!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:15 AM   #862
Recycles dryer sheets

My Testimonial!

I think I might like this thread! My hubby and I went from 180 & 160 to 280 & 220 respectively, over 19 years! Yikes! Our first goal when we retired in early '06 was not to be retired fat folks like everyone expected. We hired a trainer to come to our home 3 days a week. The workouts, treadmilling 4-6 days a week, and eating healthier began to work almost immediately! Hubby is down to 190 and I got down to 155. Our parents cried, and our family and friends can hardly believe their eyes. The most amazing part...we have kept it off! I cannot say enough what a personal trainer can do for helping you meet your goals instead of long, unused gym memberships and little success!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #863

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife06 View Post
I think I might like this thread! My hubby and I went from 180 & 160 to 280 & 220 respectively, over 19 years! Yikes! Our first goal when we retired in early '06 was not to be retired fat folks like everyone expected. We hired a trainer to come to our home 3 days a week. The workouts, treadmilling 4-6 days a week, and eating healthier began to work almost immediately! Hubby is down to 190 and I got down to 155. Our parents cried, and our family and friends can hardly believe their eyes. The most amazing part...we have kept it off! I cannot say enough what a personal trainer can do for helping you meet your goals instead of long, unused gym memberships and little success!
Great story - welcome to the thread. Do keep us to date on your progress. When you changed your diet did you do anything formal like write down wha you ate, or count calories etc?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #864
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you Alan. The first thing out trainer had us do is write down everything we ate for 7 days. He couldnt believe how often we ate out (heck, the kids are gone, why not?). He figured our intake was an average of about 4,000 calories with zero activity. Any movement or change in our diet would show improvement (ha ha). So, yes, we always log our food intake, as well as measure our food, even after all this time. I also kept a monthly progress report I emailed out to our friends and family. We had quite a cheering section. Unfortunately, I took a fall in June 2007, and have had to stop my workouts entirely by Feb 2008. I am recovering from 2 bulged and 1 herniated discs in my back. Even so, I keep to my daily 1550 calories. Our daily caloric intake took a gradual decline since the start as our trainer knew we couldnt go from 4000 to 1550 overnight. We have daily goals for our fat, carbs, protein, & fiber too. It only took a few months to clear me of 4 years as a pre-diabetic too. I am especially proud of that accomplishment. This change worked for us because we could still eat most of what we like, no weird or icky foods for us. We never did well on the food-specific fad diets. If you want to see our transformation, we are on his website at On The Go Fitness Pros dot com. I hope that is okay to say. Its pretty incredible!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #865

Quote:
Thank you Alan. The first thing out trainer had us do is write down everything we ate for 7 days. He couldnt believe how often we ate out (heck, the kids are gone, why not?). He figured our intake was an average of about 4,000 calories with zero activity. Any movement or change in our diet would show improvement (ha ha). So, yes, we always log our food intake, as well as measure our food, even after all this time. I also kept a monthly progress report I emailed out to our friends and family. We had quite a cheering section. Unfortunately, I took a fall in June 2007, and have had to stop my workouts entirely by Feb 2008. I am recovering from 2 bulged and 1 herniated discs in my back. Even so, I keep to my daily 1550 calories. Our daily caloric intake took a gradual decline since the start as our trainer knew we couldnt go from 4000 to 1550 overnight. We have daily goals for our fat, carbs, protein, & fiber too. It only took a few months to clear me of 4 years as a pre-diabetic too. I am especially proud of that accomplishment. This change worked for us because we could still eat most of what we like, no weird or icky foods for us. We never did well on the food-specific fad diets. If you want to see our transformation, we are on his website at On The Go Fitness Pros dot com. I hope that is okay to say. Its pretty incredible!
Thanks for sharing, you are both to be admired for your comittment and success. Sorry to hear about the back. I had lower back surgery when I was 35, then knee surgery 5 years later, and that put paid to much of my exercise as I was a soccer player, soccer referee and loved tennis and racket ball etc.

However I did find other ways to exercise after putting on 40lb over 6 years and then managed to lose it all over 9 months and so far have managed to keep it off.

Nice website and good photos .
Old 07-16-2008, 06:54 AM   #866
Full time employment: Posting here.

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
(snip ...)
6/25: 193.0 16.0%
7/02: 191.4 15.8%
7/09: 196.0 16.5%
7/16: 193.2 15.9%

Goal: 190.0 15.3%

Going back in the right direction after the July 4th weekend. Still feeling a little over what I'd like to be, but I'm not particularly focused on calorie counting right now. More a maintenance game.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:18 AM   #867

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I also have been reading "Younger Next Year" for women, so I've been extra motivated on the exercise front.

I'm trying to get myself on board to workout 6 days a week, instead of the 3 or 4 days I average.
Still doing well maintaining at 126#.

Haven't been able to meet my goal of working out 6 days a week yet Still averaging 3 or 4 days a week. Part of it is motivation, part of it is I just feel so tired the day after working out - like I need a day of rest. I do have a nerve injury in my leg and that does flare up periodically, like it did this week. I think my body does need a little more time to build up to this, but it's a good goal to have! I also need to convince myself to work out "light" on my "tired" days - I know I could do that...that's where the motivation part comes in

Also, I'm looking into getting a heart rate monitor as advised in the Younger Next Year book. I'd really like to get a better sense of what level I'm working out at. Anyone else do that?

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #868
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Haven't been able to meet my goal of working out 6 days a week yet Still averaging 3 or 4 days a week. Part of it is motivation, part of it is I just feel so tired the day after working out - like I need a day of rest. I do have a nerve injury in my leg and that does flare up periodically, like it did this week. I think my body does need a little more time to build up to this, but it's a good goal to have! I also need to convince myself to work out "light" on my "tired" days - I know I could do that...that's where the motivation part comes in

Also, I'm looking into getting a heart rate monitor as advised in the Younger Next Year book. I'd really like to get a better sense of what level I'm working out at. Anyone else do that?
Search this area. Rich got a nice Armitron for cheap awhile back..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #869

259.6 today, up slightly from last week. Eating went to crap for the last couple of days during a high stress period, but it's back under control again. Lowest for this week was 256.8 after a 12 hour solid and liquid fast for some medical tests.

The area that I workout in has gotten messy, and that's a big mental barrier to cross when trying to exercise. Now I have to get it cleaned up ASAP or it'll be that much harder to do it.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #870

Monday morning I was 174.5, finally under my 175 target after 3 straight days on 175 so Tuesday when offered a hot ham and egg breakfast biscuit I took it. This morning I was 176.5. Punishment was swift and harsh
Old 07-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #871

Quote:
As they say in the book, remember that the title is "Younger NEXT Year". Don't try and do too much, too fast

Quote:
I've had a heart monitor for a couple of years now. Lots of fun, I'd definitely recommend getting one.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #872
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

07/08/08 - 238.4
07/15/08 - 237.2

First goal - 220

If I can keep up a lb./week, I'll be a happy man.

Harley
Old 07-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #873

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Search this area. Rich got a nice Armitron for cheap awhile back..........

Hey thanks! I found the thread, and it's an Omron. Looks like it has decent reviews on Amazon, too, so I'm going to try it (Amazon.com: Omron HR-100C Heart Rate Monitor: Health & Personal Care)

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
As they say in the book, remember that the title is "Younger NEXT Year". Don't try and do too much, too fast
Agreed. Tonight I rode my stationary recumbent bike - a very low level workout, but at least I did something!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #875

230 this week.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #876

226 and change. Its taken 4 months and a bit of yo-yo-ing to get this far (-12-14lbs). Would really like to drop 10 more so I can use my closetful of suits that are just a tad too tight right now, until my anticipated year-or-two from now FIRE date...won't need suits after that...
Old 07-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #877
Recycles dryer sheets

Good Luck Rambler on your FIRE date goal. My greatest joy since retiring in July 06, was confidently tossing my big clothes one size at a time! The sad part is, I loved most of those outfits! I lost 4 sizes and gained a big smile! Thank goodness for recognizing the benefits of hydration and exercise during that process. Sagging skin would not have been a good reward, regardless of the weight loss.

DH and I FIRE'd at 47, living off assets...enjoying life immensely...learning new things!
newlife06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #878

Quote:
Good Luck Rambler on your FIRE date goal. My greatest joy since retiring in July 06, was confidently tossing my big clothes one size at a time! The sad part is, I loved most of those outfits! I lost 4 sizes and gained a big smile! Thank goodness for recognizing the benefits of hydration and exercise during that process. Sagging skin would not have been a good reward, regardless of the weight loss.
I second that remark .

When I lost my 40lbs over a period of 9 months, it included 6" off my waist and inches off my chest, and I was very pleasantly surprised that I had no sagging skin. I knew exercise was a key to this but hadn't known about the hydration aspect of it.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #879

End of week 18: down 1.4 lbs
Total Lost: 30.8 lbs

Back on track after the Stampede
Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 AM   #880

Quote:
125# this morning! The scale flickered 125...126...125...I'll take the 125#, LOL!

Did better working out almost every day this past week; did the recumbent bike on days I felt tired or days I was injured. I tried the spinning class again last night, and it continues to kick my butt!