Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #901

Excellent results guys. I've not heard of our Y doing boot camps, but they sound pretty interesting, although it will have to wait at least 18 months when I'm RE'd and have the time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #902
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
Have only run my 5 mile route once since last month and got my pace down to 8:22 from 8:40, and I wasn't even that tired from that.
Ha! I'm not impressed. I expect I could do 5 miles in 8 hours or so myself!

Old 07-26-2008, 07:57 AM   #903

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Ha! I'm not impressed. I expect I could do 5 miles in 8 hours or so myself!
Yeah, I reckon I could manage that as well

When I was 25 a neighbor convinced me to run in a 5 mile hill race. (We were living in N. Yorkshire at the time). I trained for weeks and then ran it with him and our time was 40 minutes. After crossing the finishing line with loads of people watching I immediately threw up - very embarassing , and I didn't get full control of my legs for about 3 hours.

I've never attempted anything like that again. (I know, what a whimp !!!)
Old 07-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #904
Give me a forum ...

Recent high - 242 (last April)
07/08/08 - 238.4
07/15/08 - 237.2
07/22/08 - 237.4
07/29/08 - 234.4

First goal - 220

Not bad. I've really been watching my food intake, diabetes-wise. Also started walking in the mornings. Not too much, just 2 miles. But that's on top of the occasional walks and bike rides we were already doing. But what I'm sure made the big difference was the arrival of our POD yesterday. It's the last of our stuff from when we moved. I set an arbitrary pick-up date of tomorrow for it, so we worked our not-so-little buttocks off emptying it. 1/2 yesterday, 1/2 today. Totally exhausted, but as long as I don't get crazy and run out for Ben and Jerry's I should be able to maintain my forward progress.

I'm really glad I found this thread. It helps recording the process, and I appreciate the feedback. Good luck to you all.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #905
Full time employment: Posting here.

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
(snip ...)
6/25: 193.0 16.0%
7/02: 191.4 15.8%
7/09: 196.0 16.5%
7/16: 193.2 15.9%
7/23: 194.8 16.0%
7/30: 191.8 16.0%

Goal: 190.0 15.3%

Well, finally dropped a little weight. But I cheated: all I had for dinner last night was an apple after I got back from my martial arts class. So it'll rebound by a pound or more tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #906

Sigh. Alright, I'm back in, after writing off the entire month of July for vacations of various sorts.

155 lbs today. Goal weight 145.

Back to the 1000-1200 calorie days and trying not to get too depressed about it.

Made a nice meal last night of a pouch of the Uncle Ben's Cajun rice (210 calories per serving), plus some Aidell's cajun andoullie-style chicken sausage (160 calories each, we had one each, diced small), plus a bell pepper and some spinach in a pan. Pretty darned good and filling with the rice. Fast to cook, too, since we were starving after they gym.

Good going the rest of you!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #907
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Aidell's cajun andoullie-style chicken sausage (160 calories each, we had one each...Pretty darned good and filling with the rice.
Sarah, I have never heard of that sausage...I have nearly kissed off sausage (which I absolutely love and crave). Do you happen to know what the fat numbers are on each 160 calories link?

DH and I FIRE'd at 47, living off assets...enjoying life immensely...learning new things!
newlife06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #908
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Okay, I guess it is time for me to start posting here again. I am back up to 125lbs and need to be down to 110 lbs. I am only 5ft 1in. I need to watch portion size, exercise and watch out for my sweet tooth!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #909
Give me a forum ...

Aidells has a whole bunch of chicken sausages, and I've never tasted one that wasn't excellent. I get mine at Costco, but I think they have started carrying them in regualr grocery stores. I love the mango, and the habenero and green chili. They are low in calories, decent for fat content, a little high in sodium, and taste great. They are one of the tastiest things I've found that works well with my type 2 diabetes diet. I recommend them unreservedly. www.aidells.com
Old 07-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #910
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Aidells has a whole bunch of chicken sausages...decent for fat contentI recommend them unreservedly. www.aidells.com
Darn, looks like too much fat for my program, but I will go check them out in person. Thanks Harley!

DH and I FIRE'd at 47, living off assets...enjoying life immensely...learning new things!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #911

good going everyone, some determined folks out there.

I was 174.5 this morning - back within my target range again.

Last few days have been a washout exercise wise though. long days at work is my excuse.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:31 PM   #912

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
125# this morning! The scale flickered 125...126...125...I'll take the 125#, LOL!
...126#. Musta been the excessive margaritas over the past weekend

Great work everyone else!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #913
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice, I would even take the 126! I start my weigh in on August 4th when I begin my aqua fitness workout.

I have a fav restaurant that serves "Spa Margaritas"...the mix is made with Splenda so its just 150 calories...waiter, bring me another!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #914

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife06 View Post
I have a fav restaurant that serves "Spa Margaritas"...the mix is made with Splenda so its just 150 calories...waiter, bring me another!
Great idea! My margarita is mostly lime juice and alcohol, though; not much sugar added.

We do like to save calories by doing drinks with diet sodas, ie. diet coke and rum. Or gin and diet tonic.

Oh, the sacrifices that must be made

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 07-31-2008, 08:44 PM   #915
Full time employment: Posting here.

End of week 20: down 1.4 lbs
Total Lost: 34.0 lbs

The extra exercise saved my bacon again (mmm......bacon.....okay, the craving is now gone )
Old 07-31-2008, 10:30 PM   #916

Bought new jeans at Costco a month ago (size 36). Thought they were 'stretched'. Today I bought 34's and they fit.

14 months into ER (and no attempt to lose weight) I knew I'd lost some. Got on the scale today. Down from 210+ to 188.

Damn, I wish I'd included food in the ER budget.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #917

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Bought new jeans at Costco a month ago (size 36). Thought they were 'stretched'. Today I bought 34's and they fit.

14 months into ER (and no attempt to lose weight) I knew I'd lost some. Got on the scale today. Down from 210+ to 188.

Damn, I wish I'd included food in the ER budget.
That sounds like a wonderful surprize - well done.

I've never lost weight without actually trying to
Old 08-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #918
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
That sounds like a wonderful surprize - well done.

I've never lost weight without actually trying to
I tried on and off for years, but the pounds kept creeping up.

After retiring, the weight started dropping off at ~1/2 # per week; 3 years =~80 #.

At 6 months out I noticed my clothes were getting baggy (about 15 #).
Old 08-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I tried on and off for years, but the pounds kept creeping up.

After retiring, the weight started dropping off at ~1/2 # per week; 3 years =~80 #.

At 6 months out I noticed my clothes were getting baggy (about 15 #).
Roll on RE - that is very encouraging
Old 08-06-2008, 06:44 AM   #920

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
...126#. Musta been the excessive margaritas over the past weekend

Great work everyone else!

Will miss the weigh-in next week. We are going on vacation to Siesta Key, FL. Our friend is turning 40, and her DH rented a house on the key for us all to come party for the week. Woo-hoo!

Don't be surprised if I come back weighing several more pounds!