Not open for further replies.
Back at it again:

All time high 205.6 Fall 2007
Today 187.8
First goal 184
Final goal 174
High school weight 159.5

2Cor521

So frustrated as I am also just back from vacation and despite staying active every day I seem to have gained weight. I'm not going to beat myself up about it, but will focus on eating healthily this week and not having any cocktails and hopefully some improvement will happen before next week.

May I join in?
I admire all of you who are working on this. I've been lurking for some time.
I'm too shy to list my actual weight - so I'm going to list how much I need to lose. I hope that's ok.
I've been overweight or obese all my life. I lost a lot of weight when some other health issues were resolved about two years ago that enabled me to exercise better, but I never got quite down to goal, and lately I've gained some. I don't want to let this get completely out of control.

Currently BMI 27.9
Final goal is -18.8, BMI 25.1 (I know that's high but I have not weighed that little since I was a pre-teen and shorter, and I want to be realistic.) My intermediate goal is -13.8, five pounds above my final goal.

Now listing how much to lose to intermediate goal.
12/5/08 -13.8

May I join in?
I admire all of you who are working on this. I've been lurking for some time.
I'm too shy to list my actual weight - so I'm going to list how much I need to lose. I hope that's ok.
I've been overweight or obese all my life. I lost a lot of weight when some other health issues were resolved about two years ago that enabled me to exercise better, but I never got quite down to goal, and lately I've gained some. I don't want to let this get completely out of control.

Currently BMI 27.9
Final goal is -18.8, BMI 25.1 (I know that's high but I have not weighed that little since I was a pre-teen and shorter, and I want to be realistic.) My intermediate goal is -13.8, five pounds above my final goal.

Now listing how much to lose to intermediate goal.
12/5/08 -13.8

Please do join us, and don't be shy - certainly no need to post actual weight. This lunch time I talked to my sister in England and she is doing so great with her weight I just want to announce it to the world.

Some years ago she had some serious health problems and her weight ballooned to 388lbs - a BMI of 57.3. Once she was stabilized on the right meds etc, she started to try and lose weight and has been making steady progress plus she quit smoking 5 years ago. Just over 2 years ago I started tracking it for her on a spreadsheet and periodically printing out charts and tables to show her progress.

She has been through various weight loss programs, but essentially it has just been about eating less and exercising more - walking mostly, but also a lot of gardening.

In March this year her Doc was pleased to tell her that she was no longer clinically obese, she was just fat. :rolleyes:

She has continued to make steady progress and this week has achieved a loss of 200lb ( a whole brother, plus some!!) Her BMI is now 27.75 :cool:

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am just so proud of her.

Please do join us, and don't be shy - certainly no need to post actual weight. This lunch time I talked to my sister in England and she is doing so great with her weight I just want to announce it to the world.

Some years ago she had some serious health problems and her weight ballooned to 388lbs - a BMI of 57.3. Once she was stabilized on the right meds etc, she started to try and lose weight and has been making steady progress plus she quit smoking 5 years ago. Just over 2 years ago I started tracking it for her on a spreadsheet and periodically printing out charts and tables to show her progress.

She has been through various weight loss programs, but essentially it has just been about eating less and exercising more - walking mostly, but also a lot of gardening.

In March this year her Doc was pleased to tell her that she was no longer clinically obese, she was just fat. :rolleyes:

She has continued to make steady progress and this week has achieved a loss of 200lb ( a whole brother, plus some!!) Her BMI is now 27.75 :cool:

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am just so proud of her.

Wow, that is soooooo great! And kudos to you for being such a supportive brother!!!

Wow, that is soooooo great! And kudos to you for being such a supportive brother!!!

Thanks, she's my baby sister, 16 years younger than me and life has dealt her several bad hands health-wise.

Alan, the news about your sister is fantastic! Good for her (and for you, for helping her!)

As for me, mixed news. The bad news is that I'm back up to my starting weight (plus three pounds or so), probably because of alcohol and the holidays. So, I know how to fix that. Exercise is a challenge I'm working on -- DH and I are trying to figure out how to carve time out of the day so each of us gets some exercise in. So I need to think about a real plan for that.

The good news is that I finally got some jeans, pants and tops that fit properly. All of a sudden, my waist is back! Hooray! Plus I got a haircut and just love it. So I'm feeling good about how I look, which is a bonus.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming of.... diet and exercise.

I'm too skeered to post any real numbers myself (looking to lose thirty) but I did get a little schadenfraude-ish enjoyment reading this:

In the January's O magazine, Oprah Winfrey confesses that she now weighs 200 pounds and has "fallen off the wagon--http://www.usmagazine.com/news/oprah-winfrey-i-weight-200-lbs.

Sounds like she'll start a new viewers-and-her program in early January and that'll be some inspiration for me (perhaps she'll provide a cook and nutritionist and personal trainer?), and for more inspiration the Biggest Loser is on tonight!

Somehow I missed posting for 2 weeks, and they have been 2 very, very bad weeks! We just returned from a cruise over Thanksgiving, and despite running 3 miles one day, and doing aerobics for over an hour the other day, I am up to...130#!!!!!!!!!!:p:(:(

Majorly bummed about this. I've been working quite a bit more than usual lately, which of course lends itself to eating worse and exercising less. Hopefully I will get myself back on track this week and will have better results to post next week.

Well, crossing the 130 mark was the kick in the pants I needed. I am down to 128#. Now, the challenge is to keep my motivation going. Sunday DH made wings and had beer, which I turned down and replaced with a frozen meal (Weight Watchers). Monday I skipped dessert at work, but yesterday I relented and had 2 cookies. Such a daily struggle!

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
(snip ...)
7/30: 191.8 16.0%
8/06: 190.0 16.0%
8/13: 192.0 15.8%
8/20: 192.6 16.4%
8/27: 194.6 16.2%
9/03: 195.4 17.1%
9/10: 195.6 16.2%
9/17: 195.2 16.7%
9/24: 194.6 16.4%
10/1: 195.8 15.6%
10/8: 198.0 16.9%
10/22: 195.6 17.1%
10/29: 196.0 17.1%
11/05: 195.0 16.9%
11/12: 195.2 17.1%
11/19: 195.0 17.0%
11/26: 195.6 17.1%
12/03: 198.2 17.8%
12/10: 196.6 16.8%

Goal: 190.0 15.3%

Got some movement on the weight and fat percentages this week. And I do feel better, though both weight and fat percentage were noticeably lower today than they have been the last few days (possible outlying data points). I've been more diligent with my diet, and am also eating more after my evening workouts. When you get home from martial arts at 9:00 or later, you don't tend to feel like eating much (or anything at all). But it is better for my body's recovery to have a few hundred calories after working out.

All time high - 262 (2005)
Recent high - 242 (last April)
07/08/08 - 238.4
08/06/08 - 234.4
09/10/08 - 231.0
10/08/08 - 229.8
11/05/08 - 223.6
12/03/08 - 225.4
12/10/08 - 224.6

First goal - 220
Ultimate goal - 200

Not going to make my goal by my birthday next week, but close enough to make me happy. I need to find some kind of exercise I can make myself do to make up for losing the walking for the winter. But I went out and bought some new jeans - size 38! That's down 4+ inches from fattest Harley. Excellent. Now all I have to do is grow 3 more inches and I'll be at Rich's proportional model of waist being 50% of height. ;)

6' 1" Target range 170 - 175.

Highest was 210lb (2002)

09/03 - 176
09/10 - 179
09/17 - 175.5
09/24 - 177
10/01 - 174.5
10/08 - 176
10/15 - 176.5
10/22 - 175
10/29 - away
11/5 – 180
11/12 – 176.5
11/19 & 11/26 - away on business & vacation
12/3 - 177
12/10 -178.5

Not a good omen for the upcoming 2 week vacation over the Holidays. Since getting back from the last 2 week trip I've exercising regulary again - weights, cycling, tennis, yoga. But the weight is going up :bat: AND I've sprained my ankle.

I've not been able to control my evening snacks - just can't get motivated at present for some reason.

Oh well - pleased to see that some of you guys are doing somewhat better than me at present - well done.

12/10 -178.5

Not a good omen for the upcoming 2 week vacation over the Holidays. Since getting back from the last 2 week trip I've exercising regulary again - weights, cycling, tennis, yoga. But the weight is going up :bat: AND I've sprained my ankle.

I've not been able to control my evening snacks - just can't get motivated at present for some reason.

Oh well - pleased to see that some of you guys are doing somewhat better than me at present - well done.

Hang in there Alan! The holidays sure are tough. I understand the motivation thing. The new place where I have been working has lunch for $1. You get a full meal (meat/pot/veggie/bread), soup, AND a full tray of desserts to choose from. It is sooo hard to not have a dessert!

Hang in there Alan! The holidays sure are tough. I understand the motivation thing. The new place where I have been working has lunch for $1. You get a full meal (meat/pot/veggie/bread), soup, AND a full tray of desserts to choose from. It is sooo hard to not have a dessert!

Thanks SG. This morning someone came around with a tray of hot breakfast biscuits. Even without the sausage, my egg and cheese was delicious and I don't even want to think about how many calories were involved. I feel so dirty :p (Particulary since this afternoon someone else came around handing out chocolates and I couldn't resist - AGAIN)

I think I see your problem. If I had pot with my lunch, I'd probably eat the whole dessert tray. >:D Not to mention needing a nap later. :D

All Time High 237 2007

06-16 223 32.7 bmi
06-18 221 31.7
06-25 220.5 31.6
07-2 217 31.1
07-9 217 31.1
07-23 219.5
10-20 219.4
10-29 218.8
skipped a week
11/12 220.4
11/19 220.0
12/04 220.0
12/11 218.2

Soda is still my weakness, amazed how cutting out a few soda's can help.

Soda is still my weakness, amazed how cutting out a few soda's can help.

I assume you're drinking sugar sodas? Can't switch to diet? It's funny, I haven't drunk anything but diet sodas for 30 years, just don't like the feeling of the sweet stuff on my teeth. I managed to get pretty overweight on diet sodas. Can't imagine where I'd be with regular ones. 4 or 5 per day would be a lot of empty calories.

Diet Soda Just as Bad as the Real Thing - Wellsphere

Some people theorize that when you drink diet sodas, your body says "Hey, it tastes sweet but I'm not getting the calories I want, so I need more sweet stuff."

My personal take is that is bunk. I was pounding diet soda for years. I haven't had any diet (or regular) soda in 6 weeks. My hunger hasn't decreased at all (or my craving of sweets), and my weight hasn't dropped either. Of course, YMMV.

Diet Soda Just as Bad as the Real Thing - Wellsphere

Some people theorize that when you drink diet sodas, your body says "Hey, it tastes sweet but I'm not getting the calories I want, so I need more sweet stuff."

And some people theorize that the moon landing was fake, and that you can tell the future by looking at someone's palm. ;)

I've had weight issues, but it's not due to diet coke. It's because I used to eat a lot of McCrap. I'm absolutely positive that if diet soda made me crave sweet stuff, I'd have drunk the hard stuff.

I suspect these studies have more to do with correlation than causation. If they can come up with some serious science on the subject I'll give it a (relatively) unbiased read.

And some people theorize that the moon landing was fake, and that you can tell the future by looking at someone's palm. ;)

Are you suggesting that you can't tell the future by looking at your palm?

Cr*p - no wonder my stock picks have failed miserably - and here am I thinking it had to do with the financial crisis :uglystupid:

I suspect these studies have more to do with correlation than causation. If they can come up with some serious science on the subject I'll give it a (relatively) unbiased read.

My theory is that people have diet sodas and then feel like it is ok to load up on other calories. Unfortunately, I think people usually underestimate the actual amount of calories in food. Just because you have a diet coke doesn't mean you can splurge and have fried chicken...at least not all the time (says the girl with the weakness for KFC, LOL).

Well, crossing the 130 mark was the kick in the pants I needed. I am down to 128#. Now, the challenge is to keep my motivation going. Sunday DH made wings and had beer, which I turned down and replaced with a frozen meal (Weight Watchers). Monday I skipped dessert at work, but yesterday I relented and had 2 cookies. Such a daily struggle!

Holding steady at 128#. I did pretty good with my diet and exercise until I started a new job this week. With the stress of adjusting to all new staff, patients, procedures, etc....my workout has gone out the window! Hope to get back to dancing tonight and blow off some steam!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom