Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #1041
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was away for most of last week so like Harley I am going to refrain from weighin in this week. However, I should imagine that the numbers can't be good going on how difficult it is to breathe in my jeans at the moment.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #1042

213 last night. So, I'm down about 30 to 35 lbs overall.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #1043
Full time employment: Posting here.

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
(snip ...)
6/25: 193.0 16.0%
7/02: 191.4 15.8%
7/09: 196.0 16.5%
7/16: 193.2 15.9%
7/23: 194.8 16.0%
7/30: 191.8 16.0%
8/06: 190.0 16.0%
8/13: 192.0 15.8%
8/20: 192.6 16.4%
8/27: 194.6 16.2%
9/03: 195.4 17.1%
9/10: 195.6 16.2%
9/17: 195.2 16.7%
9/24: 194.6 16.4%
10/1: 195.8 15.6%
10/8: 198.0 16.9%

Goal: 190.0 15.3%

Quote:
I'm random prediction for next week is 194.6 at 15.8%.
Sigh. Haven't weighed in this high in a long time. Well, I'm highly dependent on working out to maintain my weight, and when I can't do so, the weight springs up quickly.

Last Weds, around 9 hours after I posted, I suffered a Grade II shoulder separation. That's where the collarbone partially dislocates from the acromion process of the shoulder blade. No ligament/tendon tearing. Anyhow, pain was pretty intense for a few days, and it'll take a few weeks to heal to the point that I can do the stuff I was doing. Can't do anything athletic without a whole bunch of pain.

Next week I'm on vacation, so I'm sure when I check back in in two weeks, I'll be over 200. Sigh.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #1044

Bummer Kronk, that is depressing. But just try to keep your eating on track--maybe for vacation your goal can be to leave some food on your plate at every meal. That has helped me in the past try to avoid gaining while on vacation.

I hope your shoulder injury heals up okay and that you will be back to exercising soon. It is hard to be sidelined like that, and very frustrating.

We've been drinking beer again, having friends over, and socializing too much lately.
Today my weight is 154, and I certainly know why it isn't going down. Our CSA is starting back up (boxes of vegetables descending on us every week) so I'm hoping that it will be inspiration to eat more veggies this fall.

I'm exercising more, but it can't keep up with the beer drinking. Why is there nothing better than swilling beer while sitting around in the back yard all afternoon, feet up on the cooler, watching a ball game on the TV we've set on top of the picnic table, and telling stories with old friends?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #1045

6' 1" Target range 170 - 175

7/31 - 174.5
8/6 - 177
8/13 - 176.5
8/20 - 177
8/27 - out of town
9/3 - 176
9/10 - 179
9/17 - 175.5
9/24 - 177
10/1 - 174.5
10/8 - 176

Wow Kronk, that sounds painful. I hope you manage to control your eating. You'll need to try and substitute some low stress exercise such as walking into your routine while you are healing. Good luck mate.

Sarah, I agree about the beer drinking and that is something I really did have to limit. I still enjoy beer but don't drink it more than once a week these days. I try and stick to a couple of glasses of red wine most times.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #1046
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm suspending my Wed weigh in's. Too much stress from the market to eat and drink properly right now. Yeah....that's a pretty good excuse.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #1047

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
125#
Holding steady at 125#.

I don't expect a good weigh-in next week. We are going away to Gulf Shores, AL for a long weekend with friends for the National Shrimp Festival. I plan to fully indulge in food and drink

Kronk, so sorry to hear about your shoulder injury! Separations can be so painful. Did you injure it during karate class? You may find you could tolerate recumbent biking. That probably wouldn't jostle the area too much.

Sarah, I feel your pain regarding beer along with many other libations which I will be fully enjoying this weekend! We've got beer, tequila, cointreau, vodka, coolers, and gin packed. Oh, I can feel my reflux flaring up just thinking about it. Time to double up on the Nexium, LOL. Sometimes, ya just gotta live.

I promise to stay away from the balcony. We're beachfront on the 14th floor.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #1048
Give me a forum ...

All time high - 262 (2005)
Recent high - 242 (last April)
07/08/08 - 238.4
07/15/08 - 237.2
07/22/08 - 237.4
07/29/08 - 234.4
08/06/08 - 234.4
08/13/08 - 233.0
08/20/08 - skipped
08/27/08 - 234.4
09/03/08 - 232.2
09/10/08 - 231.0
09/17/08 - 229.2
09/25/08 - 10/1/08 - skipped due to travel
10/08/08 - 229.8

First goal - 220
Ultimate goal - 200

Not bad, after 2 weeks away from home eating out every meal. The weight seems to be maintaining, but I'm having a little problem keeping the blood sugar down. I've got a doctor's appointment in the beginning of Nov, and I'm trying to kick ass diet-wise to try to avoid getting put on meds. My camping trip the weekend after next won't help, either. Too much beer. Oh well.

By the way, happy John Lennon's birthday to y'all tomorrow. Happens to be my daughter's birthday too. And her daughter was born on the same day as George Harrison. If she has any more kids, maybe we can reincarnate the Fabs.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I'm suspending my Wed weigh in's. Too much stress from the market to eat and drink properly right now. Yeah....that's a pretty good excuse.
I don't think you have quite the right attitude here
Old 10-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
The weight seems to be maintaining, but I'm having a little problem keeping the blood sugar down. I've got a doctor's appointment in the beginning of Nov, and I'm trying to kick ass diet-wise to try to avoid getting put on meds.
Nothing quite like a Dr appointment for a good target. Good luck with the diet, if you can avoid meds that would be great.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:59 PM   #1051

Quote:
The weight seems to be maintaining, but I'm having a little problem keeping the blood sugar down. I've got a doctor's appointment in the beginning of Nov, and I'm trying to kick ass diet-wise to try to avoid getting put on meds.
Are you watching the type of carbs you are eating? If you eat more whole wheat breads/pastas vs. white breads/pastas, this is supposed to help with spiking of blood sugars. I think. It's been a while since I read about it, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

Well, I'm sure beer drinking doesn't help, but any advice from me on that would be like the pot calling the kettle black, LOL.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #1052
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sarah, Alan, and simple girl, thanks for the well-wishes.

As it turns out, I'm able to do a bit more than I thought I might. I taught Tae Kwon Do last night and felt well enough to take part in most of the advanced class following the one I taught. So I got a bit of exercise in, and it felt good to be throwing kicks again.

I hurt it by being stupid, and attempting something that I didn't remember quite as well as I thought I did. I set up my uke (partner) incorrectly, and ended up going up and over, falling on my shoulder with my weight and some of his. Sometimes stupidity is immediately punished, and this was one of those times.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #1053

Kronk,
Thanks for the update - good to hear that you can still exercise.

I hope you'll continue to post each week - no slacking
Old 10-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #1054

Quote:
Are you watching the type of carbs you are eating? If you eat more whole wheat breads/pastas vs. white breads/pastas, this is supposed to help with spiking of blood sugars. I think. It's been a while since I read about it, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

Well, I'm sure beer drinking doesn't help, but any advice from me on that would be like the pot calling the kettle black, LOL.
Yeah Harley, hope you don't have to go on meds. One thought: adding legumes to your meals adds fiber, slows the flow of carb/sugar to your blood, and thus your insulin response is slower and steadier...reducing sugar highs and hypoglycemic crashes. Ya gotta cut some other calories though if you add beans. I add them to 1-2 meals a day, about 1/2 cup each meal, tossed on a salad, as a side dish, whatever. I do it for the fiber for digestive purposes, but I'm going to get a follow-up blood test in a couple weeks to see where my blood sugar, LDL, HDL, Tri-Gs and blood proteins are. Six months off my last blood test and I'm betting that adding the beans and exercise will have improved the blood counts a lot.

R
Old 10-10-2008, 07:55 AM   #1055

Oh, by the way, down to 232 now... I think that's a whole pound since I posted here last a couple weeks ago (and 25+ miles jogged and 35+ miles walked). But, with all the exercise I get, I'm feeling pretty good. It seems the exercise does wonders for the mood. In my case, it seems to help me be more decisive as well. Two notches down on the belt, even though the scale says not much weight loss yet.

R
Old 10-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Oh, by the way, down to 232 now... I think that's a whole pound since I posted here last a couple weeks ago (and 25+ miles jogged and 35+ miles walked). But, with all the exercise I get, I'm feeling pretty good. It seems the exercise does wonders for the mood. In my case, it seems to help me be more decisive as well. Two notches down on the belt, even though the scale says not much weight loss yet.

R
I never really believed the 'feel good' factor story about exercising until I experienced it myself, and now I'm a true believer.

In particular if we've able to exercise outdoors, either biking, hiking, tennis or walking. Get back exhausted sometimes, but feel absolutely 'high' for ages afterwards.

3 weeks ago while visiting our son I played tennis with an old friend. We are well matched and played for about 90 minutes, gamed ended 5-7, 7-5. Then I played a set with my son. I wish I could do that every week.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #1057
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are you watching the type of carbs you are eating? If you eat more whole wheat breads/pastas vs. white breads/pastas, this is supposed to help with spiking of blood sugars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Yeah Harley, hope you don't have to go on meds. One thought: adding legumes to your meals adds fiber, slows the flow of carb/sugar to your blood, and thus your insulin response is slower and steadier...reducing sugar highs and hypoglycemic crashes. Ya gotta cut some other calories though if you add beans.
Thanks for the concern, all. Yeah, I'm eating like a good little boy. Whole grains, veggies, salad out the yazoo, some lean meats, no processed white stuff (bread, rice, sugar, potatoes). When I started testing again a few months ago after "forgetting" for about 3 years, my fasting blood sugar was over 400. I've got it down to the 150-175 range, and I should feel pretty good about that. But just like happens with weight loss, I've hit a plateau. Want to get down under 130, but it won't be happening before the doc gets hold of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I never really believed the 'feel good' factor story about exercising until I experienced it myself, and now I'm a true believer.

In particular if we've able to exercise outdoors, either biking, hiking, tennis or walking. Get back exhausted sometimes, but feel absolutely 'high' for ages afterwards.

3 weeks ago while visiting our son I played tennis with an old friend. We are well matched and played for about 90 minutes, gamed ended 5-7, 7-5. Then I played a set with my son. I wish I could do that every week.
DW and I have been walking our neighborhood loop, 1 3/4 miles, usually twice and sometimes 3 times/day. It has been making us both feel great, more energized, less hungry, and less desire for a nap. I never bought into the theory about endorphins, but I think it was because I was running, which I hate. I love to walk, especially with DW, and the endorphins are running instead.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:34 AM   #1058

Quote:
DW and I have been walking our neighborhood loop, 1 3/4 miles, usually twice and sometimes 3 times/day. It has been making us both feel great, more energized, less hungry, and less desire for a nap. I never bought into the theory about endorphins, but I think it was because I was running, which I hate. I love to walk, especially with DW, and the endorphins are running instead.
We are soooo looking forwad to RE when we can start going on holiday to places where we can get in plenty of walking. We love hills and coastal areas with cliff tops that you can walk along. Next holiday is 3 weeks in England in April and this time we are not even hiring a car. Going to be getting everywhere via train, bus and shank's pony. (by foot).
Old 10-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #1059
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, surprised this is still here, since I haven't surfed FIRE in a while. guess I'll start back in again. I had a couple of really bad years and rebounded WAY up there. Near as I can tell from the above I am the high weight champion in this thread. Pretty sure that is not a good thing.

50 yrs old, 74" tall, goal weight of 225
10/15 - 368.2
Old 10-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #1060

Never fear, Leathernecker, I'm falling off the wagon all the time.
You need to chase those chickens around some more now that you are retired!

156 right now but I know it is the beer. I'm not kidding anybody at this point. I gotta drop at least 10 lbs -- I am going to buy a full length mirror tonight based on advice I got here and I'm hoping that will keep me out of the refrigerator at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babeebloos View Post
My daughter has been taking pole dancing classes for about a year now and is 'addicted' to the 'sport'....
she bought a pole and stage for her dining room area and set up a full length mirror to watch herself do the moves.
She doesn't eat much...

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote