Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2008, 11:34 AM   #1201
Moderator Emeritus

Down 2.5 since 12/29 (the day I confronted the scale)--"only" 22.5 to realistic goal 37.5 to go to impossibly unrealistic goal.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2008, 12:01 PM   #1202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't believe in diets per se. I picked up a book entitled LEARN in my doctor's office several years ago that made a lot of sense. It's basically a behavior modification program that emphasizes learning about food fat & calorie content, your own eating habits, and modifying your relationship with food. The book may be available at your library. I still use the basic concepts today. There are many excellent (FREE) articles at Welcome to LEARN The LifeStyle Company
This is a good short article for the holidays.
http://www.thelifestylecompany.com/a...blicationid=16

Old 12-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I don't believe in diets per se. I picked up a book entitled LEARN in my doctor's office several years ago that made a lot of sense. It's basically a behavior modification program that emphasizes learning about food fat & calorie content, your own eating habits, and modifying your relationship with food. The book may be available at your library. I still use the basic concepts today. There are many excellent (FREE) articles at Welcome to LEARN The LifeStyle Company
This is a good short article for the holidays.
LEARN The LifeStyle Company Article:*Leaner, Lighter Holidays
I agree entirely. One needs to change their diet, not go on a diet to lose weight in the long run. Thanks for the web link - pretty interesting. I just used it to calculate how many calories I need to consume to maintain / lose weight for my height, age etc. It reminded me of a friend some years back when we were going through the WW program at work (which is one of the "lifestyle" changing programs out there, and I did it because it was at work and half price plus with a bunch of folks you already knew).

He had been doing really well but had plateau'ed for some time. He asked his Doc what he needed to do and explained that he was still walking several times a week and had lowered his calorie intake in line with his new body weight according to the WW table. The Doc explained that his walking had much less effect than it used to have because he was now 50lb lighter so he would need to either up the walks or start to carry a bag with 50lb of weights in.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:56 PM   #1204
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Still on vacation and out of town so won't be weighing in for another week.

Ron,
Your target seems very achievable and is the right way to lose weight if you want to be able to keep it off for the long stretch. As Sarah says, what are you going to substitute for the lack of soda, beer etc? It is a lot easier for many folks to substitute rather than drop food items, particularly once you have achieved your goal (I assume you won't go back to your old eating pattern, but ease up a little).
Just a thought: I drop a (decaf or noncaf/herbal) teabag into a 1/2 gallon pitcher of water and drink 4 or 5 cups a day (have 2 pitchers in fridge); in cold weather I nuke it before drinking.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #1205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Those sound good, Ronstar.
What is the plan for replacing the rest of those sodas? Do you like water? Lemonade? Diet drinks?
Also, try the Amstel light beer--it isn't bad for only 90 calories. I'm cutting out beer as well and giving myself just one night each week to have a "real meal" with beer or liquor.

Good luck!
I'm going to drink a lot of water - no lemonade or diet drinks. I also have Amstel light in stock from Christmas that will probably last me until March.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #1206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm going to drink a lot of water - no lemonade or diet drinks. I also have Amstel light in stock from Christmas that will probably last me until March.
I just read your post describing how you fell through the ice and broke your leg. Bad luck man, I hope you get better soon.

The time I fell through the ice I had a very similar experience in that the ice was too thin to get back out. However in my case the water was very deep and I was about 20 yds from shore so I had to break the ice and swim until it was shallow enough to walk.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #1207
Recycles dryer sheets

All Time High 237 2007

06-16 223 32.7 bmi
06-18 221 31.7
06-25 220.5 31.6
07-2 217 31.1
07-9 217 31.1
07-23 219.5
10-20 219.4
10-29 218.8
skipped a week
11/12 220.4
11/19 220.0
12/04 220.0
12/11 218.2
12/24 219.6
12/31 219.6
Old 01-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #1208

Quote:
I just read your post describing how you fell through the ice and broke your leg. Bad luck man, I hope you get better soon.

The time I fell through the ice I had a very similar experience in that the ice was too thin to get back out. However in my case the water was very deep and I was about 20 yds from shore so I had to break the ice and swim until it was shallow enough to walk.
The leg's feeling better now that the vicodin is kicking in.

You must be another Michael Phelps to swim 20 yards in those condistions.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The leg's feeling better now that the vicodin is kicking in.

You must be another Michael Phelps to swim 20 yards in those condistions.
It was very embarrassing so the adrenalin kept me going, plus I was also in my 20's. I was also dressed in parka and winter gear so it was very hard work. There were folks on the bank including one hysterical lady and one guy who was preparing to wade out to help and I shouted to him to stay where he was as I felt fine and was sure I could make it. I will attempt to attach a photo I took seconds before I fell through the ice. DW walked over and took the camera off me while I was treading water. She was able to walk back to bank before she fell through into 3ft of water. It was a reservoir which is why it was so deep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Park Road 1.jpg (895.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #1210
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sarah, you must be a bit annoyed that you allowed yourself to backslide and have to lose those same 20lbs again. However, having done it once the second time around should be easier.

Ronstar, I feel your pain. Sounds like not a lot of fun to break your leg the way you did. I guess the big danger for you now is that your exercise is going to be restricted so rather than looking to lose weight you will have to be vigilant that you are not gaining.

Vinny, have you managed to kick that soda habit yet?

I'm struggling with my weight. Over the past 3 months I have managed to gain a further 2 lbs. That is in spite of me working out with my trainer 3 times a week doing a weight program. I have also been doing cardio 3 times a week. The gain is not due to muscle, in the time I have been going I have only lost 2lbs of fat. I'm amping my cardio up to 6-7 days a week for January to see if I can have a breakthru. If I see no change by the end of the month I am going to the Dr as there has to be something wrong with me as my diet is good and to not make any progress is so frustrating.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #1211

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Sarah, you must be a bit annoyed that you allowed yourself to backslide and have to lose those same 20lbs again. However, having done it once the second time around should be easier.

Ronstar, I feel your pain. Sounds like not a lot of fun to break your leg the way you did. I guess the big danger for you now is that your exercise is going to be restricted so rather than looking to lose weight you will have to be vigilant that you are not gaining.

Vinny, have you managed to kick that soda habit yet?

I'm struggling with my weight. Over the past 3 months I have managed to gain a further 2 lbs. That is in spite of me working out with my trainer 3 times a week doing a weight program. I have also been doing cardio 3 times a week. The gain is not due to muscle, in the time I have been going I have only lost 2lbs of fat. I'm amping my cardio up to 6-7 days a week for January to see if I can have a breakthru. If I see no change by the end of the month I am going to the Dr as there has to be something wrong with me as my diet is good and to not make any progress is so frustrating.
Yes - I think my exercise will be restricted to upper body for a while.

I'm having a similar problem as you in losing weight. I did a running program through the summer and I gained weight. I agree, if you cant lose weight with a good diet, a lot of cardio, and working out with a trainer, maybe a doctor has the answer.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #1212
Recycles dryer sheets

I am still stuck on the soda - Down to a liter a day though. It is sad that I can see the results in days when I don't drink soda. I switch to vitamin water just for the flavor of it but that stuff is expensive.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyfrombrooklyn View Post
I am still stuck on the soda - Down to a liter a day though. It is sad that I can see the results in days when I don't drink soda. I switch to vitamin water just for the flavor of it but that stuff is expensive.

Can you not ween yourself onto diet soda? Also, we can buy orange, lemon and lime squashes that you use use just a few ounces mixed with water. Grew up on the stuff in England and in recent years it is now available in stores like Kroger in the British section.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #1214
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyfrombrooklyn View Post
Seltzer with mandarin orange or cranberry or lemon & lime flavor is a good substitute for the high calorie sodas. I find it quenches the thirst very well. You can usually find it in 1L bottles for away from home, or the 2L for home.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #1215
Recycles dryer sheets

I think soda is more addictive then smoking but then again I never had that habit. I will try your suggestions.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #1216
Moderator Emeritus

We got a free sample of Truvia (not to be confused with Trulia, the real estate web site) made from the leaves of the plant stevia, apparently a supersweet plant, to create erythritol. From the Truvia website: "Erythritol is a sugar alcohol, a carbohydrate found naturally in several fruits. Erythritol doesn't lead to tooth decay, is safe for people with diabetes and in reasonable amounts does not lead to gastrointestinal side effects (in other words, no gas or bloating)."

Has anyone heard of this?

Personally I'm going back to real sugar when I want something sweetened, which isn't often. Reolve to pick water instead of diet beverages with aspartame, splenda, whatever.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We got a free sample of Truvia (not to be confused with Trulia, the real estate web site) made from the leaves of the plant stevia, apparently a supersweet plant, to create erythritol. From the Truvia website: "Erythritol is a sugar alcohol, a carbohydrate found naturally in several fruits. Erythritol doesn't lead to tooth decay, is safe for people with diabetes and in reasonable amounts does not lead to gastrointestinal side effects (in other words, no gas or bloating)."

Has anyone heard of this?

Personally I'm going back to real sugar when I want something sweetened, which isn't often. Reolve to pick water instead of diet beverages with aspartame, splenda, whatever.
Not heard of Truvia before.

If you can hack water instead of diet beverages then that is definitely the way to go.
stress & food
Old 01-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #1218
Moderator Emeritus

stress & food

I've mentioned before that I lost a lot of weight after retirement.

After I fell off the patio (Dec. '08) and landed on my hand, I gained about five pounds in just two weeks(the old stress eating pattern of fat and salt). Now that I'm feeling much better, I'm back to lots of fruits and vegetables.

Thinking back over my life, my weight gains and losses have been largely a result of stress level.

Just an observation/anecdote.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #1219
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not heard of Truvia before.

If you can hack water instead of diet beverages then that is definitely the way to go.
I make weak decaf/herbal tea (one tea bag to 1/2 gallon pitcher steeped overnight) and drink four or five glasses a day (nuked in cold weather).
Old 01-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I make weak decaf/herbal tea (one tea bag to 1/2 gallon pitcher steeped overnight) and drink four or five glasses a day (nuked in cold weather).
We do that occasionally, should do it more often as we really like it.

Stress eating is well documented - thanks for sharing your experience. I know that I suffer the same problem.