Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #1421

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
P90X - it involves almost 8 hours of exercise a week. It's intense but it's working.
The health benefits of the exercise will be excellent - well done, keep it up ...and up...and up.... and up...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #1422
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I haven't posted to this thread in about 18 months, but I started the process at 190+ and just hit 180. In three more pounds I'll be at my 1977 high-school weight, but with about 20 pounds more muscle. Hypothetically I've ditched at least 25 pounds of fat.
blah blah blah
I hope I don't regret reading this in a year or so, but in 2010 I may be down to 175 and doing just as many pushups & situps.
OK, I found the Thanks button, where's the "I hate you" button?

Truly, just jealous. I've been having a very hard time this winter. I'm going to bail on the weekly weighing and do it monthly for a while. See if I can make some improvement.

I wouldn't want to be at my 1974 high school weight. At 6'1", my 140 lbs. would be a little funny looking now. It was then too. But I'd love to hit 190-195. And muscle tone? A dream at this point.

So I'll be signing off here for a bit. But don't any of you slack off, I'll still be watching.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I've been having a very hard time this winter. I'm going to bail on the weekly weighing and do it monthly for a while. See if I can make some improvement.

I wouldn't want to be at my 1974 high school weight. At 6'1", my 140 lbs. would be a little funny looking now. It was then too. But I'd love to hit 190-195. And muscle tone? A dream at this point.

So I'll be signing off here for a bit. But don't any of you slack off, I'll still be watching.
Harley, this is the tactic you use when managing your portfolio in turbulent times, not when trying to lose weight. This is a 'weight loss' thread not a 'net worth' loss thread

Seriously, I hope the new method works for you.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #1424
Give me a forum ...

If I could lose weight like I can lose net worth, I wouldn't have to worry about it at all.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #1425
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've been having a very hard time this winter.
Well, I think we're narrowing in on the cause of the trouble. Your body thinks it has to store extra fat to get through the famine caused by living in a deadly frozen wasteland. Over here we've only had to figure out how to close our windows and where we stored our socks before the bitter cold drops down into the 50s...

Quote:
I wouldn't want to be at my 1974 high school weight. At 6'1", my 140 lbs. would be a little funny looking now.
In 1978 it was all around my waist. Today it's all around my shoulders. And 6'1"/140# would make a great taekwondo competitor! Just getting down into the 180s freed me from having to spar those 6'4"/225# crushers.

One big change was making the dinner main course more of a side dish alongside the bigger servings of veggies & fruit. But I think the most significant long-term behavioral change has been my attitude. Before, especially during my working years, it was "Hey, it's been a tough [whatever/ whenver], you really deserve this third helping of lasagna. With a dessert ice cream cone." Today it's viewing it mostly as fuel with a few taste-test garnishes. It's finally become "Am I really hungry or just thirsty? What'll kill my appetite until dinner? Do I really need to load up my knees with this extra poundage?"

My brother-in-law swears by his beer & bread diet. Unfortunately it turns out that he means "anything but beer or bread"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:46 AM   #1426
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just a quick response (and not having read 72 pages of thread responses!!!!). I turn 60 next week and had a personal high of 285# for weight! Last June I stopped taking the antidepressants I'd been on for years and joined SNAP fitness. Six months later I was down to 200#. I've concentrated on core muscle development and cardio.

I lost the weight and increased my fitness level to attempt to alleviate the symptoms of osteoarthritis that I happen to have everywhere in my body. I reckon I can move a lot more easily now and feel a little lighter on my feet. I never even thought about the cosmetic effects until I took a look in the mirror one day and said "Who the heck is that guy?!!".

Anyways, my timing was perfect for the Great Depression. Net worth is down, but my self worth is through the roof, and nobody can take that away from me!!!

Health is best and, maybe, the only "wealth" a person can ever really possess!!

Cheers!
Old 03-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #1427
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats Sander on your improved quality of life! We embarked on a similar plan in Oct 2006. We hired a personal fitness trainer for 3 days/week and nutritional guidance. My DH reduced his weight from 280 to maintaining at 190. I lost 55lbs, but suffered a back injury during the process, so core strengthening is very difficult. But, I take an aquatics fitness class at the gym 3-4 mornings a week and we bike 20-30 miles several times a week.

Our improved health and lifestyle is a true blessing and the result of never taking our eyes off the prize. My back injury was devastating to the both of us, but we just never have given up. We just strive to stay active and eat responsibly.

Great job Sander!

DH and I FIRE'd at 47, living off assets...enjoying life immensely...learning new things!
newlife06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #1428
Recycles dryer sheets

First post on this thread. I have had back surgery for blown out L4-L5 on the leg press machine at the gym. The only physical therapy my neurosurgeon gave me was to walk for 90 minutes a day. I never went to a physical therapist. I muddled along for about a year after the surgery with a numb leg, but markedly reduced pain.

Then last March I went on a hike with some co-workers. I felt like I was going to die, I couldn't make it up the hill without my heart pounding in my ears. THAT is what got me going on my year-long odyssey. I took my late mother's advice "move more and eat less fatso" she didn't mean it in a negative way, just her way of getting the point across. I started hiking 2 to 3 times per week after work. I am fortunate to work 3 miles away from Piastewa Peak and Dreamy Draw in Phoenix, AZ. Well, here I am exactly one year later, went from 222# to 182#, I logged my 400th mile of hiking yesterday. A few of my coworkers thought I was crazy for hiking up the mountain when it was 118 degrees, but I couldn't miss or I would feel awful.

The other thing I did was to eat 1/2 of a peanut butter sandwich every day for breakfast, no more egg mcmuffins. I also switched from coke to camelbac elixir tabs for my water. I have learned to drink almost a gallon of water a day in the hottest time of the year, and only a 1/2 gallon in the cool weather.

I did find out one thing about extreme weight loss, you might kill your gall bladder. I found out the hard way and had it out last month, 21 days without hiking, but also without eating too much either, so no weight gain.

Thanks,

Sonny
Old 03-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #1429
Recycles dryer sheets

Great determination Sonny. I know "that thing" is different and personal for everyone. For us, it was being denied to ride together in a bi-plane over the Temecula wineries because our combined weight was over the limit for the ride. How unromantic would that be? I also lost my gallbladder, had kidney stones, and was pre-diabetic while I was carrying too much weight. Now I am paying the price with my back injury because I carried too much weight with soft muscles for too long, and medical premiums will triple on April 1st for me. Keep at it. The best revenge is success!!!

DH and I FIRE'd at 47, living off assets...enjoying life immensely...learning new things!
newlife06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #1430

Sonny,

Welcome to the thread. Good post and obviously a great success story - well done.

Have you now achieved your target weight and are in "maintenance" mode?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #1431
Recycles dryer sheets

newlife06,

Good luck with your back rehab. I have had very minimal back pain since I dropped 20% of my body weight. I am not one to recommend surgery, but it was also life changing. the relief was immediate. I couldn't walk, literally, as my disk popped and then hardened around my spinal cord. Morphine was the only thing to cut the pain prior to surgery.

Quote:
Sonny,

Welcome to the thread. Good post and obviously a great success story - well done.

Have you now achieved your target weight and are in "maintenance" mode?
I have about 10 more pounds I would like to get rid of, but they are the hardest. I am almost at less than 25 BMI which I would be a "normal" weight for the first time in my life. I would be ecstatic if I could get down to 172 and just keep it there.

I forgot about the worst part of all of this. I had to buy new clothes. I spent more on clothes last year than I did for the previous 4 years combined. Not real complaint as DW has had way too much fun getting me to get new clothes as some of my shirts were in excess of 12 years old. I thought they were fine, but I guess I have no fashion sense.

Sonny
Old 03-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #1432
Give me a forum ...

This thread is very inspiring. Everyone seems to be frank about their problems and goals, without any of the sparring that we sometimes find on other threads.

Congrats!

Ha
Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #1433
Give me a forum ...

6'0" Target 175lbs

2/11 185
2/18 184
2/25 184
3/04 182
3/11 180.5

Good progress my first month. I have a feeling the last 5 lbs might be the toughest.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #1434
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
126#.

Wow, had a set back with the bronchitis AGAIN. Back to the doc. On a second round of prednisone and also steroid inhaler. Geesh. I cannot wait to feel better! Haven't tried working out again, and will wait until I am completely better before trying again.
129#

This is what happens when you eat horribly, are under stress, and haven't worked out in a long time. OK, now that I have had to publicly humiliate myself, it's time to get back on track! Will try a low-level workout tonight. Haven't wheezed since Saturday, and my only excuse now for not trying to exercise is I'm just plumb out of the habit, tired, and lazy!

Now that I have scolded myself perhaps I will kick it in gear!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #1435

down to 193.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #1436
Full time employment: Posting here.

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
(snip ...)
7/30: 191.8 16.0%
(snip ...)
11/12: 195.2 17.1%
11/19: 195.0 17.0%
11/26: 195.6 17.1%
12/03: 198.2 17.8%
12/10: 196.6 16.8%
12/17: 197.6 16.5%
1/07: 200.6 17.9%
1/14: 200.0 18.0%
1/28: 201.0 18.2%
2/04: 199.4 18.4%
2/11: 200.6 18.6%
2/18: 200.8 18.9%
2/25: 200.2 18.0%
3/04: 201.8 17.7%
3/11: 201.2 17.3%

Goal: 190.0 15.3%

Another week without losing statistically significant weight, but hey, if the fat percentage is accurate, that's a pound of fat lost this week and half a pound of muscle gain. I'm exercising at a decent clip (yesterday was 40 minutes on an exercise bike followed by teaching a TKD class followed by an hour of Kali practice).

I still can't do upper body work because of my shoulder (which is 7 weeks since surgery and doing great), so most of my muscle gain is in my legs and butt. I'm still another 6 weeks or more from doing much upper body other than isometrics. My broken toe might be healing well enough for me to start thinking about mixing some running in with my workouts as well.

Diet remains the trouble spot, as always. That might be due for an overhaul, but I'm not mentally prepared for that yet.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #1437
Recycles dryer sheets

Not earthshattering - but feeling good.

28 Jan 2009 220
4 Feb 2009 220
11 Feb 2009 219.5
18 Feb 2009 219
25 Feb 2009 - Vacation
4 Mar 2009 - 219
11 Mar 2009 - 218.5

Shorter Term Goal 215
Short Term Goal 200
Final Goal 140
Old 03-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #1438
Give me a forum ...

MArch 11th, 2009: 236 pounds.

Darn plateau, time to start exercising. I went for the first time to a DSW warehouse near my office. I found a NICE pair of Asics walking shoes for $24.00 on clearance.

Walking here I come..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #1439
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Diet remains the trouble spot, as always. That might be due for an overhaul, but I'm not mentally prepared for that yet.
Funny, for me, the EXERCISE seems to be the mental block. I continually laugh at myself, as I was the guy who used to RUN to my girlfriend's house as a workout, she lived EIGHT MILES out of town........some days I would RUN BACK the same day.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #1440

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Funny, for me, the EXERCISE seems to be the mental block. I continually laugh at myself, as I was the guy who used to RUN to my girlfriend's house as a workout, she lived EIGHT MILES out of town........some days I would RUN BACK the same day.......
That would make me want to get a closer girlfriend..