Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #1461
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Ok, ok, I am finally going to admit it: 130#. Gained another pound.

Even with telling on myself last week, I still ate too much. I did actually exercise Sat, Sun, and Tuesday. Really cranked it out Tuesday eve. No wheezing and only coughed once during the initial return to exercise Saturday. It isn't going to take long for me to get back to my high intensity dance workout, thank goodness.

Alan, I appreciate you posting your weight gain...it motivated me to tell on myself again. Boy, it really is tough to fess up when you've gained weight, especially 2 wks in a row!
I'm doomed for next week. Went to Outback last night with friends and had dinner and a few med's. Going to visit my nephew this weekend in Mobile, AL. I'll pig out at his bbq restaurant plus he has a band playing at night so the med's will be flowing. But it's time to go mow some weeds so maybe I'll work a few calories off.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #1462
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I'm doomed for next week. Went to Outback last night with friends and had dinner and a few med's. Going to visit my nephew this weekend in Mobile, AL. I'll pig out at his bbq restaurant plus he has a band playing at night so the med's will be flowing. But it's time to go mow some weeds so maybe I'll work a few calories off.
Do you walk or ride when you play at the club??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #1463
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Do you walk or ride when you play at the club??
30 bucks to rent a cart for 18 at my local place. Dang right I walk
Old 03-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #1464

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Ok, ok, I am finally going to admit it: 130#. Gained another pound.

Even with telling on myself last week, I still ate too much. I did actually exercise Sat, Sun, and Tuesday. Really cranked it out Tuesday eve. No wheezing and only coughed once during the initial return to exercise Saturday. It isn't going to take long for me to get back to my high intensity dance workout, thank goodness.

Alan, I appreciate you posting your weight gain...it motivated me to tell on myself again. Boy, it really is tough to fess up when you've gained weight, especially 2 wks in a row!
Well done SG. It is very tempting to not post on bad weeks, but not posting is just hiding away from yourself.

I write my weight down each week on on my PC, but posting it on a public forum, even though it is annonymous, gives me an added incentive to improve.

We have scanned most of our old photos into our computer and our screen savers (DW has her own PC) randomly show our photos. Every now and then a photo comes up of one of us when we were a lot heavier, and that feedback is even more powerful than writing down our weight each week.
Hungry, and not losing last 3 pounds
Old 03-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #1465
Give me a forum ...

Hungry, and not losing last 3 pounds

Haven't posted in several weeks, because I had no progress to show. I lost 5 pounds (from 141 to 136) and want to lose 3 more, but they refuse to disappear. Every time I get the scale to show <136, it is because I am hungry. I'm eating upwards of 1700 calories a day, all healthy foods! How can I possibly be hungry! Ony alcohol I drink is 1 glass of wine with dinner on Saturdays.

As soon as I eat enough not to be hungry, I'm back to 136-137 again.

Still either working out or going for long, vigorous walks 7 days a week.

The bright side:
1) My clothes fit better.

2) My feet don't hurt when I get out of bed any more. Amazing that a 5-pound weight loss could make that much difference. (It makes me think that people who lose 50 - 100 pounds have got to feel like brand-new people).

I'd really like to get rid of those last 3, but not if it means I'm hungry all the time. I was talking to someone at work yesterday, and my stomach started growling so loudly that the person at the next desk actually looked up and laughed!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

The bright side:

2) My feet don't hurt when I get out of bed any more. Amazing that a 5-pound weight loss could make that much difference. (It makes me think that people who lose 50 - 100 pounds have got to feel like brand-new people).

I'd really like to get rid of those last 3, but not if it means I'm hungry all the time. I was talking to someone at work yesterday, and my stomach started growling so loudly that the person at the next desk actually looked up and laughed!
It doesn't sound worth the effort to lose that last 3 pounds if it means you are hungry all the time. It sounds like your fitness level and shape is dramatically improved so why not change your target to maintain what you have - your weight and fitness.

If you can maintain for 12 months, you may feel up to trying again, and since your body's "set-point" will have been fixed at your new weight, you may find it easier to drop that last 3 pounds.

PS - even in maintenance mode you should post every week to keep your focus.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #1467

Quote:
Haven't posted in several weeks, because I had no progress to show. I lost 5 pounds (from 141 to 136) and want to lose 3 more, but they refuse to disappear. Every time I get the scale to show <136, it is because I am hungry. I'm eating upwards of 1700 calories a day, all healthy foods! How can I possibly be hungry! Ony alcohol I drink is 1 glass of wine with dinner on Saturdays.

The bright side:

Great work Amethyst!

I understand the being hungry all the time feeling - not fun! I would probably go ahead and eat a little more to not feel so starved all the time, but ramp up or change your exercise program somehow, too. Find a way to increase the intensity. Maybe add a little hi-intensity bursts to your walking. Or, do a different type of exercise; sometimes cross-training will kick up the metabolism a little. Or maybe try some strength training, which in the long run will boost your metabolism, too.

It may take longer to lose the last 3# this way, but if you are feeling pretty good at your current weight, it may be worth it to reduce your current suffering!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #1468
Give me a forum ...

PS - even in maintenance mode you should post every week to keep your focus.

you are feeling pretty good at your current weight, it may be worth it to reduce your current suffering!

Good suggestions, Alan and SG, and thanks for the encouragement. I will focus on maintaining 136#.

Not sure I can do much more exercise (have had to ramp down the amount of weight I use, because of chronic shoulder/neck problems that are almost surely caused by w*rk), but I have improved the nutrient density of my diet. Did you read the thread about oatmeal? I think it is a miracle food.

I will try to remember to post every week, lest I go back to my stress/sweets-eating ways.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #1469

Quote:
Not sure I can do much more exercise (have had to ramp down the amount of weight I use, because of chronic shoulder/neck problems that are almost surely caused by w*rk), but I have improved the nutrient density of my diet. Did you read the thread about oatmeal? I think it is a miracle food.

I will try to remember to post every week, lest I go back to my stress/sweets-eating ways.
I'm a believer that Oatmeal is really good for you and eat it for breakfast at least twice a week plus we make our own muesli which includes plenty of rolled oats. (home made yogurt plus home-made muesli is also a favorite breakfast or snack of mine).
Old 03-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #1470
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
Bad week, 195 even. Better luck next week. It's frustrating when you work out that much.
Phew, had a business trip last week so I'm late. Didn't even weigh myself last week but I was 192 this morning, so thankfully I didn't do much damage. If anyone was staying in the Long Beach Marriot last week I apologize for doing my P90X jump training in my room!

I have come to the realization that I will not have abs for Hawaii (leave the 13th of April) but I will post pics from there anyway so you can see my progress (I'll rustle up a "before" as well). As DW describes it, right now I look "T.V. normal" as I'm in the normal BMI range, chest bigger than stomach, no gut hanging over etc. But there are still love handles (more like a thin layer of insulation) so I'm hoping to work those off in the next three weeks.

Oh, and I'm totally cheating and getting a professional spray on tan job before I go because I don't believe in skin cancer but want the illusion of a 10 lb drop that a tan gives you!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #1471
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, and I'm totally cheating and getting a professional spray on tan job before I go because I don't believe in skin cancer but want the illusion of a 10 lb drop that a tan gives you!
I'll take your mancard away, thank you. Real men don't spary-tan. we blind folks with white skin........

Old 03-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #1472
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Golf yes.......... cut the meds?
All you need to do is replace beer with wine and you will lose that last 5#. But no Ripple or Mogen David or T-Bird.

Ha
Old 03-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #1473

I dont think these guys got a professional spray on tan.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #1474
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that guy in the center looks like satan! This will be subtle, I promise. You'll think I didn't do it at all if you didn't see a before picture.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #1475

Quote:
Wow, that guy in the center looks like satan! This will be subtle, I promise. You'll think I didn't do it at all if you didn't see a before picture.
Heh they remind me of oompha loompas
Old 03-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #1476

I've gone back to the small meals 5 times a day, protein/carb combo plan. Vegetarian just kept the weight on. I'm exercising 6 days a week. Three days weights, three days cardio, a la the Body for Life plan but modified a little for my fitness/age level.

Last week I lost 3.5 lbs!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #1477
Full time employment: Posting here.

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
(snip ...)
7/30: 191.8 16.0%
(snip ...)
11/12: 195.2 17.1%
11/19: 195.0 17.0%
11/26: 195.6 17.1%
12/03: 198.2 17.8%
12/10: 196.6 16.8%
12/17: 197.6 16.5%
1/07: 200.6 17.9%
1/14: 200.0 18.0%
1/28: 201.0 18.2%
2/04: 199.4 18.4%
2/11: 200.6 18.6%
2/18: 200.8 18.9%
2/25: 200.2 18.0%
3/04: 201.8 17.7%
3/11: 201.2 17.3%
3/18: 202.0 18.0%
3/25: 196.8 17.3%

Goal: 190.0 15.3%

I didn't post last week, but I did remember my weight. The decrease in fat percentage in early March turned out to be a bit illusory. I finally got fed up last week with little or no progress, so right now I'm on a diet.

I'd been doing some research into a few different exercise things, and I figured that by the time my shoulder had improved to the point where I can do some lifting that I could hit the ground running. So I, like Laurence, opted for P90x. DW was also looking for some type of additional exercise, and she liked the look of Power90. After poking around on the internet, I opted for an overkill approach. I signed up as a seller of these types of products, which allowed me to buy a "Showcase Pack". Included was Power90, P90x, 4 other exercise video series (Slim in 6, Yoga Booty Ballet, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam), 4 stretchy exercise bands, weighted gloves, a squishy ball, and some overpriced supplements. As I said, overkill, and it was a splurge at $350. But hey, I can earn money if people buy products via my link (doubt it'll happen, and if I cancel I get $40 refunded), so PM me if you're interested.

Anyhow, back to the diet. One of the items in the Power90 DVDs was a 6-day diet (Fat Burning Express). Roughly 1500 calories per day, I think, and an associated "bonus" DVD for a daily workout. Most days include a protein shake with fruit (today's was with strawberries), a morning snack (today's is cottage cheese and raspberries), a salad for lunch (usually with 4 oz of meat), an afternoon snack of 15-20 almonds, and dinner with 4 oz of various meat/seafood and a couple cups of cooked greeens (bok choy, swiss chard, brussels sprouts, etc). I'm on day 5 of the diet, and I'm hungry, but my energy level is still okay. Last night I probably overdid it: 36 minutes of the video, plus an hour TKD class that I taught, but completely participated in, leading them through a bunch of high intensity jumping kicks.

I think I'm probably still dehydrated, and I'm probably going to have a bit of an overeating rebound this weekend, so hopefully the 5 pounds I've dropped since Saturday won't come rushing right back.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #1478
Give me a forum ...

Glad your shoulder's improving sounds like you work out harder when injured, than most people ever do when they're fine

think I'm probably still dehydrated...hopefully the 5 pounds I've dropped since Saturday won't come rushing right back

My totally unscientific "theory" is that I don't "own" my weight loss until it has been confirmed, by a scale, at the end of a day when I have been eating normally.
When dieting, and feeling hungry, it's as if all the liquid I drink goes directly to my kidneys, so some of the weight loss is definitely H2O loss that will come right back.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #1479
Give me a forum ...

6'0" Target 175lbs

2/11 185
2/18 184
2/25 184
3/04 182
3/11 180.5
3/18 180
3/25 180

I'm surprised I didn't slip a pound or two, but I did get in some good exercise.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #1480
Give me a forum ...

December 1st, 2008: 252 (lifetime high )
February 3rd: 244.5
February 11th: 239.5
February 18th: 238
February 25th: 235.5
March 4th: 236.0
March 11th: 236.0
March 18th: 234.0
March 25th: 231.0