It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christmas holiday treats have "stuck" on me, too - despite working out while on our Christmas vacation! I gained 3#, up to 137, but this morning back down to 136 - so part of it is water fluctuation. I've been taking measurements, though, all along, and have only gone up ~ 1/4 inch on my hips. Hoping to take it right back off. I've been doing a new dance fitness workout that I absolutely love! Although I haven't lost much weight over the past few months, I've lost almost an inch on my hips, and my clothes fit much better. I can truly say I can see it converting over to muscle:D

Well, I am back from a cruise to the Western Caribbean last week, and I can't believe it but I only gained one pound! That's quite a feat given that you have nonstop access to food, food, food. And now that I have been home a week, I've lost a few more pounds, and I am down to 133. Hoping to keep this trend going. Loving my new dance workout!

Well, I am back from a cruise to the Western Caribbean last week, and I can't believe it but I only gained one pound! That's quite a feat given that you have nonstop access to food, food, food. And now that I have been home a week, I've lost a few more pounds, and I am down to 133. Hoping to keep this trend going. Loving my new dance workout!

Great work, but don't let your guard down. I often come back from a vacation and congratulate myself on little or no weight gain but it seems to be delayed and creeps up over a few days after I'm back, so jump on it now and get dancing and revert to normal sensible eating :D

Ok..........time to buck up! Today I weigh 242 pounds. My doctor wants me to lose 20 pounds in 3 months. I will post every week from now on.........

Good, FD! What's your exercise and diet plan? ;)

I'm back to writing everything down and fighting the gym crowds of "resolutionaries".

150 today, and I've gotta get back under 145--really my new goal is 140.
Threw out all the bad stuff in the fridge and cabinets--staying out of the bars (the hardest part) and trying to juggle the gym, work, and now college classes. I wish studying burned more calories--I'd be skinny!

Good, FD! What's your exercise and diet plan? ;)

1)Walk on treadmill for 30 minutes every morning.

2)See a dietician about diet.

3)Join local health club. The owner is a friend and personal trainer, and he offered me a sweetheart deal to join, waiving all the fees, first 2 weeks free, and a family membership for the same price as a single................;)

Lost a pound, down to 132#. Woo-hoo! I'm counting calories, which can be a pain until you get some standard "meals" figured out. I limit myself to about 300 cal for breakfast, 400 for lunch, and 500 for dinner. I have a 100 cal snack around 3 or 4 p.m. and an evening 100 cal snack with herbal tea. The herbal tea is a good substitute for those beer(s) I used to enjoy which put the extra pounds on me!

So all in all following about a 1400 cal/day plan. I still feel sooo hungry though. It sure is hard losing weight!

My husband is on board this time dieting with me. Sooooo much easier. He isn't drinking beer in front of me and snacking on nacho chips :eek:

My husband is on board this time dieting with me. Sooooo much easier. He isn't drinking beer in front of me and snacking on nacho chips :eek:

That makes so much difference - hopefully you'll find it much easier.

1)Walk on treadmill for 30 minutes every morning.

2)See a dietician about diet.

3)Join local health club. The owner is a friend and personal trainer, and he offered me a sweetheart deal to join, waiving all the fees, first 2 weeks free, and a family membership for the same price as a single................;)

FD, these are great first steps, please do keep us informed on progress.

As for myself, I weighed in at 175.5, so I'm pretty cose to my target of 172. I have an appointment with a trainer at my new YMCA tomorrow night to get the weight machines and a new Fitlinxx account. (in the move to my new town I couldn't retain my old Fitlinxx account).

I'm going to try without counting calories/points this time. Just back to nutrituous foods and regular exercise.

Jan-23-08: At 173.5 lbs, BMI of 26.4
Jan-16-08: At 174.0 lbs, BMI of 26.5
Jan-09-08: At 175.0 lbs, BMI of 26.6

Weight better today. Blood pressure . . . not so good. Sucky, even. :-( I have a history where my BP varies from normal to hypertensive with no particular rhyme or reason to the variations. My weight and BMI are easy numbers to look at and report, but my BPs are the numbers that count -- and scare me -- more.

Since other people have commented on diet & exercise: I don't really count calories, but I do watch what I eat and I exercise. Food-wise my plan is simply to watch what I eat, managing portion sizes and doing my best to avoid junk, excessively salty, and fatty foods. Exercise-wise I used to workout twice a week (70% - 30% the other 50% - 50% weights-cardio) but am now doing four or five workouts (0-100, 70-30, and two or three 50-50) a week.

At 175 lbs this morning with a waist measurement of 35 inches, BMI of 26.6 and waist-to-hip ratio of 95%. My goal is to get into the healthy weight range again by getting my BMI under 25 or my waist-to-hip ratio waist under 90%.

At 5'8" with hips measuring 37" that makes target weight 164.5 lbs and target waist measurement 33.25". 10.5 lbs and 1.75" to go. :bat:

Weight better today. Blood pressure . . . not so good. Sucky, even. :-( I have a history where my BP varies from normal to hypertensive with no particular rhyme or reason to the variations. My weight and BMI are easy numbers to look at and report, but my BPs are the numbers that count -- and scare me -- more.

Since other people have commented on diet & exercise: I don't really count calories, but I do watch what I eat and I exercise. Food-wise my plan is simply to watch what I eat, managing portion sizes and doing my best to avoid junk, excessively salty, and fatty foods. Exercise-wise I used to workout twice a week (70% - 30% the other 50% - 50% weights-cardio) but am now doing four or five workouts (0-100, 70-30, and two or three 50-50) a week.

The book I've just finished reading recommends exercising 6 days a week for the rest of your life. 4 cardio and 2 strength training, each 45 - 60 minutes. Very much recommends building up to this - use a heart monitor to a) ensure you are not over-doing and b) ensure that you are doing enough.

The book is definitely against dieting, but insists that you need to stop eating crap.

Many studies now show that it is better to be fit than thin. If thin comes with fit, then great, but for a better quality of life in the last third then lots of exercise is the key.

I had a health test once while on a management course where my overall physical and mental health was tested, including blood work. My "health age" came out well below my actual age but my waist to hip was wrong (I was a 40" waist then) and I asked the Doc about it. He said, non-linear, don't worry about it, increase your exrcise regime and stay fit, 'cos fit is what counts.

Years later my waist is now 35" after losing 40lbs, but I did have to journal what I ate and count points to achieve that loss over a 9 month period about 6 years back.

I kind of agree, but think a "workout" doesn't have to be in a gym or utilize traditional fitness equipment. A couple hours on a surfboard or working in the garden is a workout, too, and if that's what you enjoy, that's what you should do. You're much more likely to stick with something, make it a lifestyle you can happily maintain, when you think it is fun instead of as a w*rkout.

I'd also like to suggest that the ratio of strength to cardio workouts is not universal, and needs to be tuned to your body type. People with naturally heavy hyposthenic/endomorphic types would do well on the exercise regimine you suggested, but people who tend more toward naturally slender asthenic/ectomorphic body types need to spend more time on strength and core fitness.

My "mesomorphic" body type builds muscle so friggin easily that, if I were to do two, full-on weights-only workouts a week I'd wind working way more weight than would be healthy for my joints. So I limit myself to one 60-minute weights-intensive workout a week (14 exercises, two sets, done par-course style) and limit any other weights workouts to a single lower-intensity rotation matched with an equal amount of aerobics.

The book I've just finished reading recommends exercising 6 days a week for the rest of your life. 4 cardio and 2 strength training, each 45 - 60 minutes. Very much recommends building up to this - use a heart monitor to a) ensure you are not over-doing and b) ensure that you are doing enough.

The book is definitely against dieting, but insists that you need to stop eating crap.

Many studies now show that it is better to be fit than thin. If thin comes with fit, then great, but for a better quality of life in the last third then lots of exercise is the key.

Finally posting here.

Weds was 196.8 17.1% body fat.
Today was 197.4 16.2% body fat.

The scale's fat readings are highly influenced by water levels, so I take several days worth of readings to figure out more or less where I am, and my readings are clustering more around the upper 16's.

After the holidays, I had a one-day peak at 207 and 18.4% and am still working down from that. 7 years ago peaked at 260 and goodness only knows how much fat. I'm aiming for 192 and low 15's and then take it from there.

Finally posting here.

Weds was 196.8 17.1% body fat.
Today was 197.4 16.2% body fat.

The scale's fat readings are highly influenced by water levels, so I take several days worth of readings to figure out more or less where I am, and my readings are clustering more around the upper 16's.

After the holidays, I had a one-day peak at 207 and 18.4% and am still working down from that. 7 years ago peaked at 260 and goodness only knows how much fat. I'm aiming for 192 and low 15's and then take it from there.

Congrats...........you're keeping with the plan.........:)

I hope to lose 32 pounds by the end of this year........putting me at 210, and I think the BMI will drop a lot too..........

I hit my bottom this morning....came to the realization that I only fit in a few shirts and four pants and I literally had nothing to wear that did not make me look like a stuffed sausage!
I have ballooned up to 215 pds...the last time I weighed that much was in the throes of my drinking career.....I cannot do this anymore.

Weight: 215 pds
Plan: Walk half hour for lunch every day instead of just work/eat through it.

Current 204.8 lbs - BMI 29.4
Goal by August 31, 2008 170 lbs - BMI 24.4

Started wellness program on August 1, 2007 - 232 lbs - BMI 33.3

Exercise 7 days a week - 30 minutes on Elliptical trainer and 15 minutes on a treadmill at home - heart rate between 107 and 135

Requirements for University's (where I teach) Wellness Plan (to receive points which lead to small incentive rewards like ipods or a TV):

Steps - 10,000 per day - My goal is 15,000 per day - I usually average 13,000 perday
Veggies/Fruit - 3 Veggie servings per day and 2 fruit per day - I usually do 7 veggie servings per day and 2 fruit
Sleep - 7 hours per day - I just make it almost every day
Water - 64 oz per day - I always make this
Exercise - 30 minutes aerobic (from heart rate table by age) - for six weeks I have done this every day but one - previously not so good
Weight - either be in acceptable weight range (for my height their table is 160-180) or lose 2% of previous months weight - since program started
in August, I have lost over 2% per month.

Last edited:
I kind of agree, but think a "workout" doesn't have to be in a gym or utilize traditional fitness equipment. A couple hours on a surfboard or working in the garden is a workout, too, and if that's what you enjoy, that's what you should do. You're much more likely to stick with something, make it a lifestyle you can happily maintain, when you think it is fun instead of as a w*rkout.

I'd also like to suggest that the ratio of strength to cardio workouts is not universal, and needs to be tuned to your body type. People with naturally heavy hyposthenic/endomorphic types would do well on the exercise regimine you suggested, but people who tend more toward naturally slender asthenic/ectomorphic body types need to spend more time on strength and core fitness.

My "mesomorphic" body type builds muscle so friggin easily that, if I were to do two, full-on weights-only workouts a week I'd wind working way more weight than would be healthy for my joints. So I limit myself to one 60-minute weights-intensive workout a week (14 exercises, two sets, done par-course style) and limit any other weights workouts to a single lower-intensity rotation matched with an equal amount of aerobics.

Agree completely to everything you say :D

One of the book's coauthors is big into cross country skiing and outdoor cycling (he's in his seventies). I cycle outdoors with DW plus I also play singles tennis.

Wow, great to see so many on board trying to do away with the podge.

A bit about me, I currently weigh 143 lbs but would like to get down to 130. However, I have really high body fat - on the tanita scales it is 34% and I think they would be about right as I have a small build but am covered by rolls of fat around my middle and hip/thighs area.

So I joined the YMCA (back in mid Dec) - like Alan I have taken full advantage of their techno-key program. I do need to get there a bit more often. However I have a treadmill at home so I try and do 3-5 miles of walking at least 3 times a week.

After 5 weeks I can see some change in my body, though of course it is not enough. However I do not want to spend my life dieting so fitness is going to be the way for me.

Welcome to the thread DM.

Good luck with your program, keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck, DM. In my case, DW is supportive, so that's a big help........:)

174.5 - in range (just). Mardi Gras weekend coming up, lots of eating and partying planned.

Have now added Pilates to my workout regime - the Y does a class at a convenient time straight after work.

Christmas holiday treats have "stuck" on me, too - despite working out while on our Christmas vacation! I gained 3#, up to 137, but this morning back down to 136 - so part of it is water fluctuation. I've been taking measurements, though, all along, and have only gone up ~ 1/4 inch on my hips. Hoping to take it right back off. I've been doing a new dance fitness workout that I absolutely love! Although I haven't lost much weight over the past few months, I've lost almost an inch on my hips, and my clothes fit much better. I can truly say I can see it converting over to muscle:D

Lost a pound, down to 132#. Woo-hoo! I'm counting calories, which can be a pain until you get some standard "meals" figured out. I limit myself to about 300 cal for breakfast, 400 for lunch, and 500 for dinner. I have a 100 cal snack around 3 or 4 p.m. and an evening 100 cal snack with herbal tea. The herbal tea is a good substitute for those beer(s) I used to enjoy which put the extra pounds on me!

So all in all following about a 1400 cal/day plan. I still feel sooo hungry though. It sure is hard losing weight!

Woo-hoo, down another 2# to 130#! This is losing weight at a record pace for me! I'm down a total of 7# since late December. Do I dare dream I will get into the 120's again:confused:

Hoping I'm not about to hit a plateau...I know it's gotta be coming sometime soon...

Well done everyone who has managed to lose weight, keep it up.

Me on the other hand, I have managed to gain a lb this last week. This is so frustrating. However, I am not going to let this stop my efforts to lose the podge.

Well done everyone who has managed to lose weight, keep it up.

Me on the other hand, I have managed to gain a lb this last week. This is so frustrating. However, I am not going to let this stop my efforts to lose the podge.

DangerMouse, good attitude!!! That's half the battle!

I know you said you don't want to diet the rest of your life, but have you thought about maybe short-term counting calories/weighing things? I really can only lose weight it seems when I do that, even though I absolutely hate doing that. It's such an eye opener each time to see how quickly the calories add up and exactly how much I've been taking in.

You could plan to diet to lose the weight, but maintain the weight loss by continuing to exercise while gradually increasing your caloric intake to where you don't feel like you are on a diet. I'm hoping that will work for me. We'll see though. One step (pound?) at a time...

I lost 4 pounds in the last week, down to 239. For week one, all I did was watch what and how much I ate, and started doing some stretching.

Tomorrow I'm going to join a health club, for me, it works better if I "phase in" things over time, instead of jumping right into it heavy..........

Current 201.0 lbs - BMI 28.8 (down 3.8 lbs since last week)
Goal by August 31, 2008 170 lbs - BMI 24.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom