Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #541
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, great to see so many on board trying to do away with the podge.

A bit about me, I currently weigh 143 lbs but would like to get down to 130. However, I have really high body fat - on the tanita scales it is 34% and I think they would be about right as I have a small build but am covered by rolls of fat around my middle and hip/thighs area.

So I joined the YMCA (back in mid Dec) - like Alan I have taken full advantage of their techno-key program. I do need to get there a bit more often. However I have a treadmill at home so I try and do 3-5 miles of walking at least 3 times a week.

After 5 weeks I can see some change in my body, though of course it is not enough. However I do not want to spend my life dieting so fitness is going to be the way for me.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #542
Administrator

Welcome to the thread DM.

Good luck with your program, keep us posted on your progress.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #543
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good luck, DM. In my case, DW is supportive, so that's a big help........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 01-30-2008, 04:48 AM   #544
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Weds was 196.8 17.1% body fat.
196.0 16.6%
Old 01-30-2008, 06:28 AM   #545
Administrator

174.5 - in range (just). Mardi Gras weekend coming up, lots of eating and partying planned.

Have now added Pilates to my workout regime - the Y does a class at a convenient time straight after work.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #546

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Christmas holiday treats have "stuck" on me, too - despite working out while on our Christmas vacation! I gained 3#, up to 137, but this morning back down to 136 - so part of it is water fluctuation. I've been taking measurements, though, all along, and have only gone up ~ 1/4 inch on my hips. Hoping to take it right back off. I've been doing a new dance fitness workout that I absolutely love! Although I haven't lost much weight over the past few months, I've lost almost an inch on my hips, and my clothes fit much better. I can truly say I can see it converting over to muscle
Quote:
Well, I am back from a cruise to the Western Caribbean last week, and I can't believe it but I only gained one pound! That's quite a feat given that you have nonstop access to food, food, food. And now that I have been home a week, I've lost a few more pounds, and I am down to 133. Hoping to keep this trend going. Loving my new dance workout!
Quote:
Lost a pound, down to 132#. Woo-hoo! I'm counting calories, which can be a pain until you get some standard "meals" figured out. I limit myself to about 300 cal for breakfast, 400 for lunch, and 500 for dinner. I have a 100 cal snack around 3 or 4 p.m. and an evening 100 cal snack with herbal tea. The herbal tea is a good substitute for those beer(s) I used to enjoy which put the extra pounds on me!

So all in all following about a 1400 cal/day plan. I still feel sooo hungry though. It sure is hard losing weight!

My husband is on board this time dieting with me. Sooooo much easier. He isn't drinking beer in front of me and snacking on nacho chips
Woo-hoo, down another 2# to 130#! This is losing weight at a record pace for me! I'm down a total of 7# since late December. Do I dare dream I will get into the 120's again

Hoping I'm not about to hit a plateau...I know it's gotta be coming sometime soon...

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 01-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #547

Well done everyone who has managed to lose weight, keep it up.

Me on the other hand, I have managed to gain a lb this last week. This is so frustrating. However, I am not going to let this stop my efforts to lose the podge.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #548

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Well done everyone who has managed to lose weight, keep it up.

Me on the other hand, I have managed to gain a lb this last week. This is so frustrating. However, I am not going to let this stop my efforts to lose the podge.

DangerMouse, good attitude!!! That's half the battle!

I know you said you don't want to diet the rest of your life, but have you thought about maybe short-term counting calories/weighing things? I really can only lose weight it seems when I do that, even though I absolutely hate doing that. It's such an eye opener each time to see how quickly the calories add up and exactly how much I've been taking in.

You could plan to diet to lose the weight, but maintain the weight loss by continuing to exercise while gradually increasing your caloric intake to where you don't feel like you are on a diet. I'm hoping that will work for me. We'll see though. One step (pound?) at a time...

Old 01-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #549
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I lost 4 pounds in the last week, down to 239. For week one, all I did was watch what and how much I ate, and started doing some stretching.

Tomorrow I'm going to join a health club, for me, it works better if I "phase in" things over time, instead of jumping right into it heavy..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 01-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #550
Recycles dryer sheets

Current 201.0 lbs - BMI 28.8 (down 3.8 lbs since last week)
Goal by August 31, 2008 170 lbs - BMI 24.4
Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #551
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello, my name is Twinkle Toes, and I am a stress eater. There, I admitted it. Actually, I've known it for several years, but have been unable to overcome the grazing. My problem started at about 53, and I was so unprepared for it. Prior to hitting the magic number, I was always really thin...no matter what I ate. My knowledge about calories and diet food was zero. I still have a really hard time with it...nothing seems to be getting hard wired into my brain. OK, I've whined enough, especially since it's the same 10 to 15 lbs that I keep battling with. I gain it over the holidays every year when we visit the kids (DD and DIL vie over our time...whew!). I usually loose it by mid-summer and I do a decent job of keeping it off...until the holidays roll around.

Stats:

Weight: 139 (down from 143 at the end of the holiday visit (month of Dec)

Realistic Target Weight: 130; In My Dreams: 125

Height: 5' 5"

Exercise: Well, that's a problem...we travel all of the time...so, I walk the dog...I've bought several exercise DVDs (dance, yoga, walking...) Before we started traveling so much, I belonged to a gym and had an exercise room at home...and I was faithful about using them...can't seem to transition that into my nomadic lifestyle. I'm posting here to try to motivate myself to exercise at least 3 days a week...at least to start

BMI: 23.1 - within range, but my waist needs to be a couple of inches smaller to be within the proper ratio to hips

OK, that's my initial post...hope it's better next week...at least motivation and attitude...and maybe a pound or two less.

Twink
Old 01-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #552
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Hello, my name is Twinkle Toes, and I am a stress eater. There, I admitted it. Actually, I've known it for several years, but have been unable to overcome the grazing.
I was into serious stress eating my last few years at work (they made me a manager). Looking back, it's amazing how much I would stuff down. I sometimes get the urge to gorge after a cloudy winter day or two.

Quote:
OK, I've whined enough, especially since it's the same 10 to 15 lbs that I keep battling with. I gain it over the holidays every year when we visit the kids (DD and DIL vie over our time...whew!).
Would it damage family relations for you to ask them to help you not gain so much?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #553
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I was into serious stress eating my last few years at work (they made me a manager). Looking back, it's amazing how much I would stuff down. I sometimes get the urge to gorge after a cloudy winter day or two.

Would it damage family relations for you to ask them to help you not gain so much?
Oddly enough, when I was working, I had no problem with grazing...no time. If I could grab some crackers and a V-8, I was doing pretty good...but I was younger, too (pulled the plug at 49 in '96). Maybe I grazed from time to time, but my routine exercise kept my weight in line. Meditation helped with job stress.

Damaged family relations is the source of the stress which causes the grazing problem. If DD and DIL would play nice, it would probably eliminate my stress. Their frosty tolerance of each other makes for a fairly hostile enviornment. I stuff whatever is around into my mouth as a means of coping. I've talked to both girls about it, but it seems to be getting worse over time instead of better. What I need is more...really better...coping skills, it's just that food is immediate and soothing. I resolve to do better every year, but I gain 10 to 15 lbs every year.

Please don't get me wrong, I love my kids and their families like crazy. DS and DD's families have taken vacations together and had a great time. It's when DH and I are in the equation that problems start flaring. It's like they need to watch "Elmo Learns to Share". Gees, I could eat a Snickers just thinking about it!

Twink

PS: No Snickers in the pantry
Old 01-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #554
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Exercise: Well, that's a problem...we travel all of the time...so, I walk the dog...I've bought several exercise DVDs (dance, yoga, walking...) Before we started traveling so much, I belonged to a gym and had an exercise room at home...and I was faithful about using them...can't seem to transition that into my nomadic lifestyle.
We travel about 2 months each year. When we stay in hotels (most of the time), I pick hotels that have fitness rooms (usually we stay at Residence Inn or Towneplace Suites - although this summer we plan to stay 10 days in a short term apartment in Tucson).

I bring good walking shoes so I can walk everywhere. DW is not so interested in exercise but I can get her walking around malls. Also, I may buy a portable exercise bike this summer for when we stay at a relative's house. I am checking first with my Mom to determine if her exercise bike still works.

I have never tried it but I think that private exercise centers have one day rates. So I might try that sometime.

Also, there are exercises that you can do in your room. You could buy a jump rope or run in place for example.

David
Old 01-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #555
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
We travel about 2 months each year. When we stay in hotels (most of the time), I pick hotels that have fitness rooms (usually we stay at Residence Inn or Towneplace Suites - although this summer we plan to stay 10 days in a short term apartment in Tucson).

I bring good walking shoes so I can walk everywhere. DW is not so interested in exercise but I can get her walking around malls. Also, I may buy a portable exercise bike this summer for when we stay at a relative's house. I am checking first with my Mom to determine if her exercise bike still works.

I have never tried it but I think that private exercise centers have one day rates. So I might try that sometime.

Also, there are exercises that you can do in your room. You could buy a jump rope or run in place for example.

David
When I worked, I traveled extensively...and saw enough hotel rooms to last me a lifetime! BTW, your suggestions are excellent. One day rates I've used are $10, or $80 for 10 days. Jump rope sounds good, too.

We travel in an RV...snowbirds! When we are in an area long enough, I look for gyms and enjoy them...kind of a luxury for me since we are usually in more remote areas. We are in the desert now, and we hike a bit...should do more. We spend the summers in the mountains and I love to hike and fish there. That's probably why I get the last of the weight off in the summer!

dlhanson and khan, thank you for your encouragement! I think I'm sufficiently motivated to put on a DVD and move my feet. Richard Simmons's 20th Aniv. Sweating to the Oldies just came out on DVD and I bought it...that's the one I always start back exercising with. Better hurry, before I think of at least a dozen reasons to do something else.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #556

Twinkle Toes, do you do the exercise DVD's inside the RV? I'm surprised there would be enough room!

I'm curious b/c at some point in the future we'd like to do RV extended travel. I have several DVD's I like to do, but didn't think there'd be room inside the RV.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #557
Recycles dryer sheets

Jan-30-08: At 172.0 lbs, BMI of 26.1
Jan-23-08: At 173.5 lbs, BMI of 26.4
Jan-16-08: At 174.0 lbs, BMI of 26.5
Jan-09-08: At 175.0 lbs, BMI of 26.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
At 175 lbs this morning with a waist measurement of 35 inches, BMI of 26.6 and waist-to-hip ratio of 95%. My goal is to get into the healthy weight range again by getting my BMI under 25 or my waist-to-hip ratio waist under 90%.

At 5'8" with hips measuring 37" that makes target weight 164.5 lbs and target waist measurement 33.25". 10.5 lbs and 1.75" to go.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #558

TToes, I used to travel a lot and always gained weight. I put it down to not drinking enough water because of the fear of being caught in a strange place and not knowing where the nearest bathroom is. So I guess I am wondering if when you are travelling do you hydrate enough?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #559
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Twinkle Toes, do you do the exercise DVD's inside the RV? I'm surprised there would be enough room!

I'm curious b/c at some point in the future we'd like to do RV extended travel. I have several DVD's I like to do, but didn't think there'd be room inside the RV.
We have a 16' slide-out in the living/dining-kitchen area. If I play the DVD on my laptop and put it on the dining table or the kitchen counter, I have a small open area to exercise. Forward, backward, and side to side moves are small steps, done sort of like a modified march in place. I have to be careful about arm movements so as not to smack the frig or cabinets. Yoga standing positions are OK but floor posititions are more challenging. Exercising is a lot easier in a gym! If you plan to stay in RV Resorts, many have some sort of exercise facilities - some have classes if you are a "joiner". We tend to be in more remote areas most of the time, so there are months on end when that isn't an option for me. When the weather is nice enough to hike, that's my major exercise.

When you select your RV, there are many with opposing slides and some provide a larger open area which would be better for exercise. I enjoy the traveling lifestyle, but it does present a few challenges.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:14 AM   #560
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
TToes, I used to travel a lot and always gained weight. I put it down to not drinking enough water because of the fear of being caught in a strange place and not knowing where the nearest bathroom is. So I guess I am wondering if when you are travelling do you hydrate enough?
While I was working/traveling, I was pretty careful about drinking a lot of water...it was eating out all of the time that presented the greatest challenge to my waist. To be honest with you, I don't know whether I stayed hydrated over the holidays or not. I'm not fond of the water there, so I usually sitck to bottled water during my visit. Just don't remember.

I read a lot of the posts here and think that perhaps next year I'll keep a food diary with me...maybe logging what I am eating will slow me down a little...maybe enough to ask myself why I'm eating...and wouldn't it be better to take a walk around the block. That's not a bad idea! I can also set out 4 bottles of water everyday to be sure that I stay hydrated. Not a bad plan.
Closed Thread