Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:49 AM   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
We have a 16' slide-out in the living/dining-kitchen area. If I play the DVD on my laptop and put it on the dining table or the kitchen counter, I have a small open area to exercise. Forward, backward, and side to side moves are small steps, done sort of like a modified march in place. I have to be careful about arm movements so as not to smack the frig or cabinets. Yoga standing positions are OK but floor posititions are more challenging. Exercising is a lot easier in a gym! If you plan to stay in RV Resorts, many have some sort of exercise facilities - some have classes if you are a "joiner". We tend to be in more remote areas most of the time, so there are months on end when that isn't an option for me. When the weather is nice enough to hike, that's my major exercise.

When you select your RV, there are many with opposing slides and some provide a larger open area which would be better for exercise. I enjoy the traveling lifestyle, but it does present a few challenges.
Thanks Twinkle Toes. I have a feeling my DVD's won't work, even in the RV's with larger open areas. They are step DVD's and also a dance workout, which requires quite a bit of space. I guess if I didn't mind an audience, and it was nice outside, I could always do it outside the RV That could be interesting....lol

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #562
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well another week and my weight remains at it's starting point. I missed a week of work outs due to work commitments. However, I have managed to get back to the gym the last couple of days. I have also signed up to run a 5k race in May with a group of colleagues so that puts pressure on me to keep training. I am going to make an appt. with a trainer at the gym to modify my weights program as I feel I could be doing more than I am. I do believe that the other issue for me is the food. I need to lay off the chocolate bars as it is not helping my cause.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:23 AM   #563
Recycles dryer sheets

Current 198.2 lbs - BMI 28.4 (down 2.8 lbs since last week)
Goal by August 31, 2008 170 lbs - BMI 24.4
Old 02-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #564
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh, yeah, the chocolate...with Valentine's coming up I'm fighting the chocolate wars!
Boss gave me a digital watch so I can start a running program--something to shake up the doldrums. I also went sheep-chasing with one of the border collies last Saturday which burned a few calories!
I don't think I'll sign up for a race yet, though, but you rock Dangermouse!
Good job on the 2.8 lbs, dl--you are seriously on track for that goal in August!

I'm at 150, five lbs up from where I need to be. Back on track at the gym and eating clean, though, so if I can just not fall off the wagon on the weekends (the big danger!).
Simple Girl, I'm really sure that I couldn't do a dance DVD in front of people--I'm such a freak about just working out doing normal stuff in front of people! LOL!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #565
Recycles dryer sheets

Feb-06-08: At 174.0 lbs, BMI of 26.5
Jan-30-08: At 172.0 lbs, BMI of 26.1
Jan-23-08: At 173.5 lbs, BMI of 26.4
Jan-16-08: At 174.0 lbs, BMI of 26.5
Jan-09-08: At 175.0 lbs, BMI of 26.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity
At 175 lbs this morning with a waist measurement of 35 inches, BMI of 26.6 and waist-to-hip ratio of 95%. My goal is to get into the healthy weight range again by getting my BMI under 25 or my waist-to-hip ratio waist under 90%.

At 5'8" with hips measuring 37" that makes target weight 164.5 lbs and target waist measurement 33.25". 10.5 lbs and 1.75" to go.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #566

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Woo-hoo, down another 2# to 130#! This is losing weight at a record pace for me! I'm down a total of 7# since late December. Do I dare dream I will get into the 120's again

Hoping I'm not about to hit a plateau...I know it's gotta be coming sometime soon...
Gee, am I ever prophetic! Up 1# to 131. I was actually 129# for 3 days then up one pound yesterday and another pound today. No change in my diet (strictly following 1400 cal plan) except for eating out Friday night and even then I had fish with veggies only. And not even one drink.

Still working out regulary. Plateau time it is! I'm just going to keep at it. All my measurements are the same, so that makes me feel better.

I get my chocolate fix via no-fat, sugar-free chocolate fudge pudding snack. At right around 100 calories, it's a great little snack to have with tea at night. Trying to develop a new habit besides a couple of beers

Sarah, there's no way I'd dance in an RV park, that was totally tongue in cheek! No way! I do like taking dance classes with others, though. So much more fun than all by myself.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #567
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
No way! I do like taking dance classes with others, though. So much more fun than all by myself.
Dance classes is something I dream about doing. Unfortunately I have white girls disease and have absolutely no rhythm at all. It is actually embarassing to watch me dance as all I do is a shuffle from side to side. However I do have learning to dance on my life list to achieve before I shuffle off from this existence.

Sounds like we have all had an average week, however let's keep soldiering on and hope for a better week next week.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #568
Administrator

175 this week - up a lb from last week but still just within range. Ate and drank a lot over Mardi-Gras weekend, now it's payback time.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #569
Give me a forum ...

Down to 235.....lots of snow shoveling...........found out DW's company will pay us $500 a year toward a health club.........so we are joining the local YMCA..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 02-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #570
Recycles dryer sheets

RE: Exercise in the RV...well I have several DVDs that work for me...remember, the main emphasis is to move...a bunch of small steps are better than no steps! When we first started traveling I thought about exercising with videos outside. I took a TV I could use outside, but there was so much glare...and the sound sort of evaporated in the great outdoors, even at full volume. I did see a lady exercising outdoors (state park campsite) to a video and I confess, she looked sort of silly. That put me off of doing that sort of exercise outdoors. Thinking of her brings to mind HaHa's line about dancers are thought mad by those who don't hear the music! I resorted to 2 mile walks this week...and...

Down one pound. You know, it's hard to get excited about one pound...unless it is up one pound...I guess that puts it in better perspective.

Congrats to everyone keeping the faith!
Old 02-13-2008, 06:09 AM   #571

Quote:
Gee, am I ever prophetic! Up 1# to 131. I was actually 129# for 3 days then up one pound yesterday and another pound today. No change in my diet (strictly following 1400 cal plan) except for eating out Friday night and even then I had fish with veggies only. And not even one drink.

Still working out regulary. Plateau time it is! I'm just going to keep at it. All my measurements are the same, so that makes me feel better.

Hooray, I'm in the 120's! Haven't been there since 2005. Officially 128# today. That's down 3# since last Wednesday, so I doubt those gains last week were more than just water fluctuation. So, down a total of 9# since Christmas, as well as a loss of 3/4" from my stomach, and 1" each from my hips and thighs.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #572
Recycles dryer sheets

Feb-13-08: At 172.0 lbs, BMI of 26.1
Feb-06-08: At 174.0 lbs, BMI of 26.5
Jan-30-08: At 172.0 lbs, BMI of 26.1
Jan-23-08: At 173.5 lbs, BMI of 26.4
Jan-16-08: At 174.0 lbs, BMI of 26.5
Jan-09-08: At 175.0 lbs, BMI of 26.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
At 175 lbs this morning with a waist measurement of 35 inches, BMI of 26.6 and waist-to-hip ratio of 95%. My goal is to get into the healthy weight range again by getting my BMI under 25 or my waist-to-hip ratio waist under 90%.

At 5'8" with hips measuring 37" that makes target weight 164.5 lbs and target waist measurement 33.25". 10.5 lbs and 1.75" to go.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #573
Give me a forum ...

236.....about the same...........

However, am joining the YMCA as a family this weekend.......

Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #574
Give me a forum ...

Good to hear, FD--now get a trainer! Now that you get that bargain membership, you know that you have to have someone pushing you. Get someone to work with you (and maybe your wife, too) 2x a week, for 30 minute sessions, for at least a month. I swear that it will work wonders for your motivation! And remember that this is the cheapest person on the planet telling you this!

I'm at 147 right now, holding to going to the gym every day. Even doing 3 sets of lunges and high kicks every day--it is not too early to think of swimsuit season, ladies! Simple Girl, you are already there, please disregard the admonishment to do lunges! Congrats--that is awesome! And Twinkle Toes--one pound down IS good!

Trying really hard to move completely to all "real food", no additive-filled chemical junk, but can't give up the diet Mtn dew altogether. Michael Pollan's latest book, In Defense of Food, is making me guilty, though! Great book if you liked Omnivore's Dilemma.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #575
Full time employment: Posting here.

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
1/30: 196.0 16.6%
2/06: 198.2 16.9%
2/13: 194.8 16.4%

Goal: 192.0 15.3%
Old 02-13-2008, 11:59 AM   #576
Recycles dryer sheets

Current 196.2 lbs - BMI 28.1 (down 2.0 lbs since last week)
Goal by August 31, 2008 170 lbs - BMI 24.4
Old 02-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #577
Recycles dryer sheets

Ouch! No loss this week. Got to move more...eat less. Took the dog on a long walk yesterday and got a snoot full of pollen, and I'm paying for it today. No wind today, so we'll take another hike today after the Advil kicks in.

Thanks for the encouraging words. Need to keep reading your posts for inspiration. Simple Girl, you rock! Sarah, bite your tounge, I could have gone all day without thinking about swimsuits.

Think I'll drag out that book I bought after Christmas...You on a Diet...and maybe learn how to use the pedometer...see how many steps are in my "big walk"...dog's always tired when we get back, but he might just like to nap.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #578
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Good to hear, FD--now get a trainer! Now that you get that bargain membership, you know that you have to have someone pushing you. Get someone to work with you (and maybe your wife, too) 2x a week, for 30 minute sessions, for at least a month. I swear that it will work wonders for your motivation! And remember that this is the cheapest person on the planet telling you this!
No worries, I know what to do, I just needed a kick in the butt. I just got lazy and let life "get in the way". Hard to believe from a high school and college athlete that has completed 5 marathons and over 220 road races...........

The GOOD thing is that WHEN I decide to do something, the blinders go on and nothing stops me doing it. I'm going to the FitLinx training at the Y, but I know how to work out.......

However, losing 7-8 pounds just by changing my diet was nice to see..........now I move on to step two........

Old 02-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #579
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...3&postcount=31

I haven't contributed to this thread in a while, but a couple months ago I noticed that I was eating nearly a half-gallon of ice cream a week. That worked out to about 1500-2000 calories/week, depending on the quantity of chocolate involved. In what I assumed was an unrelated event, my weight had moved up to 195 pounds.

Asking myself to get through the day without ice cream seems grossly unfair. However deciding not to eat a half-gallon a week isn't so unreasonable, and I just stopped cruising the ice cream aisle at the grocery store last December. Apparently I haven't replaced it with anything else and I haven't really missed it that much.

And in an apparently unrelated coincidence, my weight is back down to 187. We'll have to see where this ends up...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #580
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
While I see no reason to cease eating cow, I don't need to eat more than 4 ounces per day, and not every day; and I am buying most cow parts from local farmers (still corn fed, but no hormones or preventive antibiotics).