Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #841
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks, I used it to good effect 5 or so years ago.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #842
Full time employment: Posting here.

End of week 16: down 1.8 lbs
Total Lost: 29.8 lbs

Old 07-09-2008, 07:14 AM   #843

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Well, between the "scale scare" I had and working my tail off at work (literally), I am down to 126#!

Happy to say I've maintained at 126#! I ate and drank quite a bit this weekend so I'm real pleased to have avoided gaining weight.

I also have been reading "Younger Next Year" for women, so I've been extra motivated on the exercise front. I'm sure that is how I battled those extra calories. Sunday I did my dance fitness workout for 45 minutes and then ran a mile after that. Yesterday I did step aerobics for 45 minutes and then my first spinning class for 30 minutes. Wow was that ever TOUGH! I definitely worked my legs in a new way. I'm really into the cross training right now. Keeps exercise interesting and also works my body in different ways.

I'm trying to get myself on board to workout 6 days a week, instead of the 3 or 4 days I average.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 07-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #844

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
1/30: 196.0 16.6%
2/06: 198.2 16.9%
2/13: 194.8 16.4%
2/20: 191.8 16.5%
2/27: 192.0 16.6%
3/05: 190.0 16.3%
3/12: 192.8 16.2%
3/19: 191.2 15.8%
3/26: 193.2 16.4%
4/02: 192.6 15.6%
4/09: 193.6 15.8%
4/16: 187.4 16.2%
4/23: 193.6 15.4%
4/30: 188.8 15.9%
5/07: 190.0 15.7%
5/14: 191.0 15.7%
5/21: 190.0 16.0%
5/28: 193.0 15.9%
6/04: 193.6 15.4%
6/11: 192.0 15.5%
6/18: 192.8 15.7%
6/25: 193.0 16.0%
7/02: 191.4 15.8%
7/09: 196.0 16.5%

Goal: 190.0 15.3%

Well, this one is embarrassing. I overindulged this past (long) weekend, on vacation from Weds night through Sunday. It involved lots of Mexican food, and most devastatingly, brownies, ice cream, and lots of candy. At least I'm not at the 199 I was on Monday...

Anyhow, back to tracking my caloric intake this week, and hopefully I'll be back down nearly where I want to be by next week.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:01 AM   #845
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hi everyone. I'm going to join in on this as a constant reminder to myself to keep on track. Hope that's OK.

Just for some background, I'm 52, overweight, type 2 diabetic, and have been an office worker slug for 30 years.

I've been FIREd for almost 2 years, but just moved into the dreamhouse a couple months ago. My worst ever weight was 262. When we moved here I was about 248. Now that I'm in a place without easy access to fast food, and with less opportunity to go out into the big city I've dropped down to 238. Instead of going out we're gardening, riding bikes (low effort), and walking. I think my new lifestyle wil make a huge difference.

My long term goal is to get under 200, maybe even get to gov't approved weight of 185. But for now I'm more interested in progress with my poundage which translates into improvemment in blood sugar and pressure levels.

So as my official starting number I'm at 238.4 today.

Harley
Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #846

Harley, welcome aboard this weight loss train. That's quite an improvement, better than I've managed so far.

4th of July weekend I indulged myself with some pizza and a few sodas, but upped the workout time on my bike to about 90 minutes. Today I'm at 259.8 pounds, for a total weight loss this year of 26.2 pounds. That's really 2/3 of where I'd really like to be at at the moment, but it's steady progress.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #847

233 this week.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #848
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I'm trying to get myself on board to workout 6 days a week, instead of the 3 or 4 days I average.
If you can get to that level of exercise you should really see a difference, and don't be disappointed if you don't lose lots of weight, but you will tone up and feel pretty good after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Well, this one is embarrassing. I overindulged this past (long) weekend, on vacation from Weds night through Sunday. It involved lots of Mexican food, and most devastatingly, brownies, ice cream, and lots of candy. At least I'm not at the 199 I was on Monday...

Anyhow, back to tracking my caloric intake this week, and hopefully I'll be back down nearly where I want to be by next week.
Falling off the rails is something we all do from time to time and not pigging out when everyone around is getting stuck in is really, really difficult, but it is something you have to try and do. Your weight has varied by about 9lbs - 4.5% this last few months. I'm not sure what to suggest as everyone has different triggers. I think it is great that you are tracking your weight the way you are and that you are moving towards your target despite the swings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
My long term goal is to get under 200, maybe even get to gov't approved weight of 185. But for now I'm more interested in progress with my poundage which translates into improvemment in blood sugar and pressure levels.

So as my official starting number I'm at 238.4 today.
Welcome to the thread Harley. I think your first goal should be 10% weight loss, say a weight of 215. If you can get there and maintain a weight below 215 for a few weeks, or months you will effectively set your new "setpoint" and your body will get used to the weight and then you can set a target of 200lb and see if you can get there and maintain. My sister was very excited at the weekend when she got below 200 for the first time in years. In Sept, 2004 she was 388 and over the last 4 years she has been using this approach and often plateau'ed for weeks or months at a time. 6 weeks ago she was delighted when her doctor told her she was no longer obese, just fat. (she is 5'8")

My own weigh-in this morning was 176, a shade above my target of 175. We went away for a long weekend and ate and drank lots but the weather was great and we got in loads of fun, aerobic exercise, including hours of cycling and tennis, so I had only put on 2lbs by the time we got back Monday evening.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #849
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I think your first goal should be 10% weight loss, say a weight of 215. If you can get there and maintain a weight below 215 for a few weeks, or months you will effectively set your new "setpoint" and your body will get used to the weight and then you can set a target of 200lb and see if you can get there and maintain.
I agree completely about not setting too hard of a goal. I'm not really doing anything right now except settling into my new lifestyle. It will be interesting to see where that takes me.

10 years or so ago I quit drinking, and I almost immediately lost 12 lbs. I started back up, gained weight, then quit again and lost the same 12 lbs. So I assume I had 12 lbs of beer weight. Now I am going to see how much "daily fast food" weight I've been carrying. I ate fast food pretty much at least once a day for over 20 years, beause it was convenient. Now I would have to work at getting to a fast food joint, so I'll probably only eat it once or twice a month. It's going to be interesting/horrifying to see what I've been doing to myself out of lazyness all these years.

Once I stabilize again, I'll start the process of setting specific goals and working toward them. That will be the hard part.

Harley
Old 07-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #850
Recycles dryer sheets

Stayed the same but thats a good thing since I had a lot of bad food on july 4th

06-16 223 32.7 bmi
06-18 221 31.7
06-25 220.5 31.6
07-2 217 31.1
07-9 217 31.1
Old 07-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #851
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Now I am going to see how much "daily fast food" weight I've been carrying. I ate fast food pretty much at least once a day for over 20 years, beause it was convenient. Now I would have to work at getting to a fast food joint, so I'll probably only eat it once or twice a month. It's going to be interesting/horrifying to see what I've been doing to myself out of lazyness all these years.
Last month we went on vacation in Europe with some family including my BIL who I hadn't seen since he retired in May 2007. He had done nothing special other than be away from the workplace and he had lost 20lbs which he put down to not being exposed to fast food, business lunches etc. I hope you have the same success.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #852

End of week 17: UP 0.4 lbs
Total Lost: 29.4 lbs

I guess between one birthday party, a barbecue and my company's Stampede party, it could have been a LOT worse . Gonna get back on the wagon this week, thank goodness the Stampede is almost over....
Old 07-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #853
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
I guess between one birthday party, a barbecue and my company's Stampede party, it could have been a LOT worse . Gonna get back on the wagon this week, thank goodness the Stampede is almost over....
I guess you are needing a "straight man" to ask the obvious, so here goes....

What's a Stampede party?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I guess you are needing a "straight man" to ask the obvious, so here goes....

What's a Stampede party?
Calgary Stampede - Home

The Calgary Stampede...happens every July for 10 days. Drinking, Rodeo, rides, chuckwagon races, more drinking, parties parties parties. You've never heard of the Calgary Stampede? Ouch.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #855
Administrator

Quote:
Calgary Stampede - Home

The Calgary Stampede...happens every July for 10 days. Drinking, Rodeo, rides, chuckwagon races, more drinking, parties parties parties. You've never heard of the Calgary Stampede? Ouch.
My education obviously was lacking, thanks for enlightening me
Old 07-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #856

Quote:
Calgary Stampede - Home

Another thing on my to do list. CALGARY STAMPEDE!!

so thats why they call them the Calgary Rough Riders.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #857

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Another thing on my to do list. CALGARY STAMPEDE!!

so thats why they call them the Calgary Rough Riders.
Actually, our CFL team is called the Calgary Stampeders. Saskatchewan has the Roughriders.

The Stampede is a blast but most locals are happy when it's over....have a year to detox!!
Old 07-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #858

And Saskatchewan's team usually rides rough over the Stampeders!

Notmuchlonger: With two kids in cowtown, DW and have been to many Stampedes. Put it on your list.

On the weight front, I ER'd at 210. 13 months later, 185. I made no attempts to lose any, I guess ER did it, therefore the best way to lose weight is to retire. Anybody want fat-guy clothes cheap?
Old 07-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #859
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
And Saskatchewan's team usually rides rough over the Stampeders!

Notmuchlonger: With two kids in cowtown, DW and have been to many Stampedes. Put it on your list.

On the weight front, I ER'd at 210. 13 months later, 185. I made no attempts to lose any, I guess ER did it, therefore the best way to lose weight is to retire. Anybody want fat-guy clothes cheap?
I too lost weight with no attempts after retiring. Gave away many bags of clothes.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #860
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
On the weight front, I ER'd at 210. 13 months later, 185. I made no attempts to lose any, I guess ER did it, therefore the best way to lose weight is to retire.

Woo Hoo, bring on that ER date

less than 18 months to go and another reason to count the days.
Closed Thread