Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #981
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

219, a bit higher than last week, but I've added in carbs. Was feeling tired and run down. Still 25 lbs+ loss. Not too shabby. I'm sure the 3 sammy lights I had tonight didn't help the carb count. But dang, I needed them!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #982
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

22 July: 67.4 kg
27 Aug: 67.0 kg
3 Sept: 66.8kg

Target 1: 64.0 kg by 30 September 2008
Target 2: 61.0 kg by 31 December 2008

Ok, I will be the first to admit I was extremely slack on the exercise this week. However, I ate reasonably well, ate fish 5 times this past week. However diet plan was derailed when we went out last night and had a couple of glasses of red, add in a heavy lamb stew and throw in apple pie for desert.

However I made amends and did 1 hour on the treadmill tonight so hopefully I will achieve a better loss next week.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #983
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Welcome to the thread, good luck with that last 5 lbs. Hopefully publicly logging your weight every week will help, I know that it helps me.
You mean I have to do that?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #984
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Well I only report in when I've actually lost weight!
Darn beer festival...

Old 09-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #985
Give me a forum ...

I've been thinking about this thread the past several days, and thought I would throw out a couple of questions:

1. It seems that some people have been really successful in losing weight, whereas others (like me) are yo-yo'ing around. I think I started this thread over a year ago, and I completely missed my goal of getting to 175 by last August. I was in the low 190's early last year, spiked at about 205 last fall, and have been bouncing around between 184 and 193 recently. Usually what happens is I am very good for a while and lose some weight, then have a week or so of indulgent / bad eating habits and all my progress is reversed. I'm back on the wagon now and have gone from 193.0 to 190.0 in the past several days. I'm really only trying two things: eating healthy and less than ~1800 calories per day, and taking a walk once a day.

So the question is: What does it take to really and permanently change? What is the difference between those of us who set our minds to something and finally say enough is enough and achieve their goal (whether it be weight loss or whatever), and others who say "I oughta lose some weight" and try off and on but don't really succeed? Are there tips or tricks to moving from the latter category to the former?

2. On a more pragmatic note, I'm trying to figure out what a good target weight is for me. I know I start to feel pretty good about myself and my body shape when I get down to about 184. I also know that is the weight that my snoring tends to stop and my midsection is flat on the sides (instead of an outward bulge above my waist). I've taken a look at old pictures of me in high school when I weighed about 160 and I think I was too thin then. When I look at the online calculators I usually come up with 174, which seems quite a challenge to get to as my body seems to resist going below 184 or so. I'm pretty much exactly 5'10" barefoot, male, average frame, and I'm 39 years old. My BP is usually ~115/78 and my resting HR is about 75. What do you guys suggest as a good target?

Thanks,

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #986
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Did I say public logging? I meant to say public flogging
Old 09-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #987

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I've been thinking about this thread the past several days, and thought I would throw out a couple of questions:

1. It seems that some people have been really successful in losing weight, whereas others (like me) are yo-yo'ing around. I think I started this thread over a year ago, and I completely missed my goal of getting to 175 by last August. I was in the low 190's early last year, spiked at about 205 last fall, and have been bouncing around between 184 and 193 recently. Usually what happens is I am very good for a while and lose some weight, then have a week or so of indulgent / bad eating habits and all my progress is reversed. I'm back on the wagon now and have gone from 193.0 to 190.0 in the past several days. I'm really only trying two things: eating healthy and less than ~1800 calories per day, and taking a walk once a day.

So the question is: What does it take to really and permanently change? What is the difference between those of us who set our minds to something and finally say enough is enough and achieve their goal (whether it be weight loss or whatever), and others who say "I oughta lose some weight" and try off and on but don't really succeed? Are there tips or tricks to moving from the latter category to the former?

2. On a more pragmatic note, I'm trying to figure out what a good target weight is for me. I know I start to feel pretty good about myself and my body shape when I get down to about 184.... What do you guys suggest as a good target?
My suggestion would be to go with the 184#, since that is where you feel best. However, if your waist to hip ratio is >.95, you may want to lose a little more, as that is something that is related to increased health risk especially in men. I'd say if you get to 184# and can stay there consistently, you may find you want to stay there or move to a lower weight. I would just set a goal that seems achievable, and then work on maintaining that a while before you up the ante. That seems to have worked for me.

I looked back over my thread and it looks like I started out at 135# back around Jan 2007. I am now down to 123# (but I vary between 123 and 125). So I've lost about 12#. So I don't have a huge weight loss to brag about, however, honestly, I didn't have a ton of weight to lose. I really do think those "last 10#" are the hardest to lose and maintain. So far, what seems to have worked for me this time is I have found a work out regime that I like AND is fairly intense. I've always worked out before, but never reached this level of intensity in my cardio workouts. Also, I was really strict on my diet for a while, counting calories, and cutting out carbs at dinner time. I've relaxed a little since I've hit a weight I'm happy with. Forcing myself to post my gains and losses here has worked, so far. Knock on wood. Can you tell I'm afraid of jinxing myself?

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #988
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

2. On a more pragmatic note, I'm trying to figure out what a good target weight is for me. I know I start to feel pretty good about myself and my body shape when I get down to about 184. I also know that is the weight that my snoring tends to stop and my midsection is flat on the sides (instead of an outward bulge above my waist). I've taken a look at old pictures of me in high school when I weighed about 160 and I think I was too thin then. When I look at the online calculators I usually come up with 174, which seems quite a challenge to get to as my body seems to resist going below 184 or so. I'm pretty much exactly 5'10" barefoot, male, average frame, and I'm 39 years old. My BP is usually ~115/78 and my resting HR is about 75. What do you guys suggest as a good target?

Thanks,

2Cor521
Maybe you could work more on rearranging: smaller waist, somewhat larger muscles in general (maybe body fat measurements)?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #989
Give me a forum ...

2Cor, as you know, I went from 206 to 145 during the course of this thread, give or take, and I have to say that maintaining those last 10 lbs are a killer, like Simple Girl said. I am at 157 today, and have been at your "I oughta lose weight" halfhearted business for the past month or more. What is that about the road to hell is paved with good intentions?

So, I remembered how the saying goes: what gets measured gets done and created (what else) a spreadsheet of pounds lost with weekly weigh-ins for both DH and myself and a six week goal for losing 15 lbs. Having a stated goal and a spreadsheet (printed it and put it on the fridge tonight) will help. We also talked about our strategies for eating, working out, and socializing in the coming weeks.

I know that only when I measure something and am truly accountable will it work. If this helps, just try to apply the same discipline to losing weight as you do to your finances. That seemed to work for me in losing the weight in the first place.

Good luck--your thread was a source of great inspiration to me, and I hope it will be again as I sweat off these same damn 15 lbs. As for your pragmatic question--go with the 184. You'll know when it is right. My DH is 5'8" and his best weight is around 160, but he wrestled 114 in high school, if you can imagine!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #990
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
2Cor, as you know, I went from 206 to 145 during the course of this thread, give or take, and I have to say that maintaining those last 10 lbs are a killer, like Simple Girl said. I am at 157 today, and have been at your "I oughta lose weight" halfhearted business for the past month or more. What is that about the road to hell is paved with good intentions?

So, I remembered how the saying goes: what gets measured gets done and created (what else) a spreadsheet of pounds lost with weekly weigh-ins for both DH and myself and a six week goal for losing 15 lbs. Having a stated goal and a spreadsheet (printed it and put it on the fridge tonight) will help. We also talked about our strategies for eating, working out, and socializing in the coming weeks.

I know that only when I measure something and am truly accountable will it work. If this helps, just try to apply the same discipline to losing weight as you do to your finances. That seemed to work for me in losing the weight in the first place.

Good luck--your thread was a source of great inspiration to me, and I hope it will be again as I sweat off these same damn 15 lbs. As for your pragmatic question--go with the 184. You'll know when it is right. My DH is 5'8" and his best weight is around 160, but he wrestled 114 in high school, if you can imagine!
Just want to mention that my EX was 5'7", 180#, 30" waist. At a certain point (especially for men) weight is not as important as fat and muscle.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #991
Administrator

Quote:

Thanks,

2Cor521

I'm 6'1" and when I started my weight loss program 5 years ago, starting from 210#, 175 was a dream I had because that is the weight I used to be when I was very fit and playing soccer in my early 30's 15 years earlier before I bust my back. My stated target was 180 - a 30# loss and when I achieved it I was so pleased, as 180 was 10# below the max on the weight range for my height.

Getting to 175# is a real pain and although I've been as low as 165 I bounce around a lot when I "diet" so I decided that fitness was a more important target. For you at 5'10" and medium frame 175 should be achievable but rather than focus on a particular weight may be you can concentrate on some other targets such as waist to hip as suggested above and that can be improved by exercise.

If you are eating healthy foods and controlling portion sizes then try increasing the exercise you do. DW and I have seen quite dramatic positive changes in cholestorol, tryglycerides, blood pressure and resting heart rate. Although I have not been able to get below my "fighting weight" my resting heart rate is now in the high 40's and I feel a whole lot better within myself than busting my gut to keep below 175.

I guess my suggestion is variety. Don't go back to old eating habits, just try changing your focus on improving your fitness. I lost 4" off my waist when I got down to 180# from 40" to 36". I'm still about 180 today but I've lost another 2", just through exercise.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #992
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to all who replied.

@simple girl -- My waist to hip ratio now is 0.9 -- knowing how my body works I would expect that to get somewhat better if I get closer to 180 or so.

I like your idea of intermediate goals. I tend to be too black-and-white about such things and just focus on the ideal that I think I should be at (which is 174, but I think I can reevaluate that goal).

@Khan -- Good point. The one time recently I was successful at losing weight was when I added more muscle. I don't have access to a gym now, but I have access to a running trail that I have begun to use. At least I can work towards a runner's physique.

@Sarah -- I'm glad this thread has helped you. I am thrilled when I can help others in any way, be it ever so small. Good luck with those last 15#! Oh, and I have started weighing and grading myself daily on both my weight loss and my job search. I'm trying to put into practice the notion of sowing and reaping -- you reap what you sow, later than you sow it, and more than what you sow. So I'm trying to sow networking contacts and applications and hope to reap interviews and job offers, and I'm sowing good eating and exercising habits, and hoping to reap a more reasonable weight and a better sense of emotional well being.

@Alan -- Good thoughts. I was around 160 when I graduated high school and was probably on the thinner side of ideal. In fact, the fall of my freshman year I tried unsuccessfully to gain another 5 pounds of muscle because I was trying to make the lightweight crew team at my university. I've got a walking route that eventually may turn into a jogging or running route. Right now it takes about an hour to walk it. My measurements now are 44/36/40 (assuming I took those right) -- I'd like to get back to a 34 waist because I've got lots of pants in that size :-P

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:26 AM   #993
Give me a forum ...

Good job on setting yourself up for success 2Cor. What about a bicycle? That might make it so you can vary your routine a little bit. Also, think about any sort of active hobby you'd like to pursue--when we were brainstorming last night, DH came up with an idea to learn kitesurfing, as we have a friend who is an instructor. He'll be no TargaDave, I'm sure, but it might be something new and fun. Is there anything like that on your list of interests?

Oh, and I'm delighted to report that my weight this morning was actually 155--which sucks unless I consider that it was 157 yesterday.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #994
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, and I'm delighted to report that my weight this morning was actually 155--which sucks unless I consider that it was 157 yesterday.
Finally whizzin' out all that beer...

SecondCor, you might pick up a set of dumbbells for the strength training. I've found that three sets of squat/curl/press will wear your butt out in a hurry. Pick a weight that gets really challenging about rep 8-9. I have a universal-style weight machine out in the garage, but when it's near 100 outside, it's pretty unbearable out there.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #995
Administrator

Good advice on the bike and the weights with squats. I'm a big believer in lots of exercise for the legs and it is so easy to do. They are your 2nd heart as strong leg muscles means elasticity in the arteries there to greatly improve blood flow and lower the stress on the heart. Plus the thigh muscles are large and very high consumers of calories even in when they are resting.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:32 AM   #996
Full time employment: Posting here.

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
(snip ...)
6/25: 193.0 16.0%
7/02: 191.4 15.8%
7/09: 196.0 16.5%
7/16: 193.2 15.9%
7/23: 194.8 16.0%
7/30: 191.8 16.0%
8/06: 190.0 16.0%
8/13: 192.0 15.8%
8/20: 192.6 16.4%
8/27: 194.6 16.2%
9/03: 195.4 17.1%
9/10: 195.6 16.2%

Goal: 190.0 15.3%

Well, despite being the same weight as last week, I actually made some good progress. The fat indicator last year was somewhat accurate (at least, on a relative sense). Thurs and Fri, I had more water and bulk in my system and the weight shot up over 199, so last Weds was a local minimum. That's why I weigh every day.

Back on track with the exercise, though I may be overdoing it slightly.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #997

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Down to 123# today. I'm really happy with maintaining anywhere below 125#. I remember a few months back I was happy to maintain anywhere below 128#. So I've set a new upper limit for myself.

My foot is fine now, and I'm back to doing my dance fitness and step aerobics, but I definitely can tell I've lost a little edge on the cardio fitness front. I've had some trouble getting motivated to workout lately. Going through a slump I guess. What I do is make myself read a little bit of "Younger Next Year", and that usually gets my butt off the couch.
124# today. Ate horribly over the weekend!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 09-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #998
Give me a forum ...

184 this morning, down 1lb. Surprising since I gave in to the blueberry pancakes a few days ago. But they were whole wheat. If I can just stay off deserts, I should be able to do it. I'm weak here.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:10 AM   #999
Give me a forum ...

154 today, down one. New challenge from the boss to get below my original goal weight, so I'm shooting for 140. Trying to cut out the beer, for the most part. That is like Dawg's desert problem!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:22 AM   #1000
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
154 today, down one. New challenge from the boss to get below my original goal weight, so I'm shooting for 140. Trying to cut out the beer, for the most part. That is like Dawg's desert problem!
Beer factors into my situation as well, but it's not negotiable.
Closed Thread