Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #2041
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
In Thompson's Glycemic-Load Diet book he says part of that issue is that we do like sweets and there may be a need to satisfy that urge. So after you eat a meal, have a piece of fruit or a small handful of chocolate chips. I have been eating a clementine after I eat and I do find that is helping with the feeling of wanting something more. I am afraid to try chocolate because I like it too much.
I'd say if you are eating very lean meat like chicken breast and turkey, you may not be getting enough fat in your meal. Fat is satiating and slows digestion of the carbs you do eat, so you would feel less hungry if you added a tablespoon of nut butter, 1/4 avocado, or other good fat of your choice.

The advice to keep away from fat in your diet is given a little too much weight, so to speak, IMO. As long as you are exercising effectively, even saturated fat is not a terrible thing.

Remember the "Supersize Me" movie about how awful McDonalds food is for your health? several entities have done contrasting experiments where they actually lost weight eating only burgers and fries or pizza for a month.
McDonald's 30-day Diet
University Communications | Media Relations :: Eastern Illinois University
The all-pizza diet: The American Paradox?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #2042
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
I'd say if you are eating very lean meat like chicken breast and turkey, you may not be getting enough fat in your meal. Fat is satiating and slows digestion of the carbs you do eat, so you would feel less hungry if you added a tablespoon of nut butter, 1/4 avocado, or other good fat of your choice.

The advice to keep away from fat in your diet is given a little too much weight, so to speak, IMO. As long as you are exercising effectively, even saturated fat is not a terrible thing.

Remember the "Supersize Me" movie about how awful McDonalds food is for your health? several entities have done contrasting experiments where they actually lost weight eating only burgers and fries or pizza for a month.
McDonald's 30-day Diet
University Communications | Media Relations :: Eastern Illinois University
The all-pizza diet: The American Paradox?
I have been eating fat, which is strange to me. But maybe not enough. At least I love avocados. It isn't so much hunger that is the problem, it is desire.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 10-27-2009, 12:12 AM   #2043
Full time employment: Posting here.

Aaah, I'm such a dilettante. But trying to get more serious, since I was given a "prescription" for exercise and weight loss by my doc today (bad back, and leg veins beginning to act up). She brought it up gently but directly but damn, I'm annoyed it had to be brought up at all!

Checking out Weight Watchers tomorrow -- anyone had success or experience with the Momentum program?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #2044
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Checking out Weight Watchers tomorrow -- anyone had success or experience with the Momentum program?
The Momentum program works, if you follow it faithfully. It is very similar to prior Weight Watchers programs. As with all WW programs, the hard part is consistently eating and exercising as the program dictates and accepting this as a lifestyle change.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #2045
Moderator Emeritus

I started back to Weight Watchers meetings last Thursday, Urchina, and I know I will have a nice loss to report here this Thursday (well, nice for me). If you follow the program you will definitely get results. If you want to go to a meeting (vs. online), I think you don't have to pay the $12/week or whatever for the first one.

Keeping the focus long term has been a challenge for me. This time I also prepaid a year for a gym near my house so I am focusing on what the results will be in a year.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #2046
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
The Momentum program works, if you follow it faithfully. It is very similar to prior Weight Watchers programs. As with all WW programs, the hard part is consistently eating and exercising as the program dictates and accepting this as a lifestyle change.
ditto. I did WW in 2002, lost 40lb, kept going during 2003 and 1st half of 2004 and then "solo" ever since and have kept off the weight ever since.

The nice thing was that you agreed a target weight with the WW group leader and I achieved that 6 weeks in and kept to it for a set number of weeks after that (I forget how many - 8?). Once you complete that maintenance you get a free lifetime membership for as long as you stay below your target, so total fees were 2 eight week sessions and my megacorp paid 50%.

As W2R says, the hard part is consistency and realizing that the change in eating habits is FOREVER.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #2047
Moderator Emeritus

week date D lbs D lbs total
1 Sep 30 - 3.0 - 3.0
2 Oct 07 - 1.2 - 4.2
3 Oct 14 - 4.2 - 8.4
4 Oct 21 +2.2 - 6.2
5 Oct 28 +1.0 - 5.2

Gained a pound during the festivities surrounding my daughter's wedding. Frankly, I am surprised it wasn't more - - so much rich food and very little self control during this intensely joyful weekend of celebrations.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #2048
Recycles dryer sheets

we don't have a weigh in till next week but I have been eating as planned all week. Did have a weird dream last night that I bought some Starburst candy?!!! and, yes, I have been passing up FREE food and treats every night at work, that usually requires some mental kung fu to pass up anything that's free, but I am not getting the urge to eat any junk outside of that dream, haha.

I am still dehydrated despite drinking a gallon of water every day, it's pretty hard to drink much more than that!!! That's what I get for living in an arid climate.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #2049

I keep seeing this "It's Wednesday weigh ins!" every single week and I was afraid to step in for fear of been eaten alive. I finally decided to take a peek and after reading a couple pages I've decided to stick around in hope some of it will rub off on me. Is this the time to spill my guts and be honest about where I'm at? If so then here goes. If not than please delete and I can start over again.

I'm male, 53, 5' 11", 230 lbs retired 3 years ago and put on about 40 lbs during those years. I started eating junk food and am no were near as active as I was while employed. I'm hoping to get down to 180 lbs which is where I'm most comfortable, so I guess it's all up to me to cut out the junk food, eat more sensibly and go for walks or be more active. Ya......ya.......ya, if it were that easy I would have done it already.

I like the progress charts that some have used but let me ask what the average weight loss weekly goal is for most in my category?

Ok, let me have it!!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #2050
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
I'm male, 53, 5' 11", 230 lbs retired 3 years ago and put on about 40 lbs during those years. I started eating junk food and am no were near as active as I was while employed. I'm hoping to get down to 180 lbs which is where I'm most comfortable, so I guess it's all up to me to cut out the junk food, eat more sensibly and go for walks or be more active. Ya......ya.......ya, if it were that easy I would have done it already.

I like the progress charts that some have used but let me ask what the average weight loss weekly goal is for most in my category?
Hey, My Dream. I'm pretty much in the same range as you. I'm not posting in this thread regularly right now, since it was frustrating me to chronicle my yoyoing lack of progress. But I still follow it and use it to inspire myself. I'm getting my treadmill delivered in a couple of hours, and hope I'll use it for more than a clothes rack. The weather is turning a bit cold and rainy to continue walking outside.

I would suggest a goal of 1 lb/week. If you actually start exercising and watching your diet you'll probably make faster progress right at first, but plateaus happen, so if you have an achievable long term goal you'll be better off. It takes a decrease of 3500 calories/week (diet and exercise combined) to lose a pound. Keep in mind that you didn't put all that weight on in a couple of months. And, defying the laws of logic, it takes longer to lose it than to put it on, even if you completely stop the bad behavior.

Good luck. I'll be watching you.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #2051

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Listing how much I have to lose to get to my intermediate goal.
12/5/08 13.8
12/10/08 12.8
12/17/08 12.7
12/24/08 11
12/31/08 12.6
1/4/09 11.6
10/18/09 4.9

It's been awhile since I've posted! Thanks to all who have posted for keeping this thread alive and vital.
My weight is down from where I was in January, but some of that was due to loss of appetite from flu. Now that I'm healthy again and have resumed working out, my muscle mass may go up, so if I can just hold this weight for a week I'll be happy, then hope to go down some more.
BTW although I've kept the same intermediate goal, I've lowered my final goal weight to ten more pounds below this (was five pounds). I've been this weight long enough that I realize I'd be healthier a bit thinner (still near the top of the range considered healthy for my height and sex). I didn't used to think it was possible but I have hopes now, despite a lifetime of zaftig-ness.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #2052

Quote:
I agree with the previous poster, one pound a week is a good long term goal. Don't make my mistake of making a spreadsheet showing weight loss, seeing a big loss the first week or three and then getting all discouraged when it levels off for awhile or even goes up as you adjust to a permanent change in lifestyle.
Although for me at this stage I'd love to manage 10 pounds a year and it ain't happenin'. But after a lifetime of serious weight problems, just keeping it from going up when I'm this close to my goal is not bad for me. So it's all up to you.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #2053

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Hey, My Dream. I'm pretty much in the same range as you.
I would suggest a goal of 1 lb/week. It takes a decrease of 3500 calories/week (diet and exercise combined) to lose a pound. It takes longer to lose it than to put it on, even if you completely stop the bad behavior.

Good luck. I'll be watching you.
Thanks for the 3500 calories/ week info and 1 lb/per sound reasonable. I think I maybe able to manage that, remember I said maybe. As for "I'll be watching you" maybe I should be watching you also!

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Don't make my mistake of making a spreadsheet showing weight loss, seeing a big loss the first week or three and then getting all discouraged when it levels off for awhile or even goes up as you adjust to a permanent change in lifestyle.
I'd love to manage 10 pounds a year and it ain't happenin'. But after a lifetime of serious weight problems, just keeping it from going up when I'm this close to my goal is not bad for me. So it's all up to you.
Ok then....no spread sheet although I need to loose more then 10 per year or else I'll jump off the band wagon.

Thanks people.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #2054
Administrator

7/8 177
7/15 177
7/22 175
7/29 175
8/5 174.5
8/12 174
8/19 172.5
8/26 174
9/02 173.5
9/09 174
9/16 171.5
9/23 171.5
9/30-10/7 – away
10/14 175.5
10/21 176.5
10/28 174.5

Highest was 210lb (2002)
6' 1" Target range 170 - 175.

Looks like my weight increase from the 2 weeks in England may have peaked and hopefully I am back in range for the longer term. Posting here every week definitely focuses my attention!!
Old 10-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #2055
Administrator

Quote:
I keep seeing this "It's Wednesday weigh ins!" every single week and I was afraid to step in for fear of been eaten alive. I finally decided to take a peek and after reading a couple pages I've decided to stick around in hope some of it will rub off on me. Is this the time to spill my guts and be honest about where I'm at? If so then here goes. If not than please delete and I can start over again.

Ok, let me have it!!!!
Welcome to the thread

I am male, 6' 1", age 54. When I got serious about losing weight about 6/7 years ago I was 210lbs when I weighed in February of that year and had an initial target of losing enough inches to fit into a particular suit for my BIL's wedding in England in June. By the time we went I had lost 25lbs and the suit pants were actually loose - I needed a belt.

So, over the first 4 months I averaged about 1.5lbs/week.

Over the next 3 months I lost another 20lbs so that means I continued losing 1.5lbs/week. By the end of the year I had put back 5lbs to end at 170, and I have mostly stayed between 170 and 175 since then but it does creep up every now and again so I have to keep on top of it.

I weigh every day and record it every week and I used to chart it and can attest that averages are what they are - averages. The daily and weekly movements are not quite like watching the stock market but you have to plan and invest for the long run and look past the short term swings.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #2056

5/27: 132 (post cruise)
6/3: 130
6/10: 129
6/17: 126
6/24: 126
7/1: 125
7/8: 126 (post weekend vacation)
7/15: 123
7/22: 123
7/29: 120!!!
8/5: 122
8/12: 120
8/19: 119
8/26: 118
9/2: 121 (post vacation weekend)
9/9: 117
9/16: 119
9/23: 118
9/30: 117 (post vacation weekend - Mobile)
10/7: 118
10/14: 118
10/21: 117

10/28: 119

I ate bad just all darned weekend. Bad, bad girl! Back on track during the week until I had to work through lunch today and broke down and ate lunch there...they have very bad food! Now, going away this coming weekend again...I've gotta watch it...thank goodness for this thread...always keeping me on my toes!

Highest was 139lb (2007)
5'4" Target range 116 - 121 (I've lowered my target range...never dreamed I'd get this low!)
(Alan, I've borrowed this format from you...I like it! )

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 10-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #2057

Quote:
Gained a pound during the festivities surrounding my daughter's wedding. Frankly, I am surprised it wasn't more - - so much rich food and very little self control during this intensely joyful weekend of celebrations.
Congratulations on your daughter's wedding!!! Sounds like a very good explanation for gaining a pound!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #2058
Moderator Emeritus

W2R, you were also in an airplane for many hours, which for me leads to fluid retention. So gaining only a pound is pretty darned good for a weekend of festivities! I can gain two pounds on wedding cake and champagne alone.

MyDream, I had a chuckle at this:

Quote:
I keep seeing this "It's Wednesday weigh ins!" every single week and I was afraid to step in for fear of been eaten alive.
I'm hungry but have not resorted to cannibalism yet. Unless you taste like chocolate

Alan, you seem to be back on track--keep it up!
Old 10-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #2059
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Bad, bad girl!
Are going to change your Forum name if this continues

Quote:
Congratulations on your daughter getting married.

When I first read your post I thought it read as
Quote:
Frank was surprised it wasn't more
I think I'm cracking up
Old 10-28-2009, 06:30 PM   #2060

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
and, yes, I have been passing up FREE food and treats every night at work, that usually requires some mental kung fu to pass up anything that's free, but I am not getting the urge to eat any junk outside of that dream, haha.
Way to go...keep up the willpower!

Quote:
I keep seeing this "It's Wednesday weigh ins!" every single week and I was afraid to step in for fear of been eaten alive. I finally decided to take a peek and after reading a couple pages I've decided to stick around in hope some of it will rub off on me.
Don't worry, we won't eat you alive. We are all on diets, you know.

LOL, welcome to the thread! You've already been given sage advice. My tidbit is to consider going on some type of structured plan to kick off the diet. I did Joy's LIFE diet, and it worked great for me (I think it's like South Beach, but I've never done SB, so not sure). Several others on here have done great on Weight Watchers.

Good luck and we look forward to hearing your progress and supporting you through your struggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Looks like my weight increase from the 2 weeks in England may have peaked and hopefully I am back in range for the longer term. Posting here every week definitely focuses my attention!!
See, I knew I had faith in you...right back on track dude! Yeah, posting here definitely keeps it real!

Closed Thread