Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hey maybe if he drank a little wine he would have lived longer! Seriously, I was sad to hear he passed this morning!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
They should do an autopsy to check out the condition of his organs. I thought I read he died of pneumonia. Does that seem unusual?
Not at all. It's the commonest terminal event in older people who don't have cancer, heart disease or stroke.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Not at all. It's the commonest terminal event in older people who don't have cancer, heart disease or stroke.
My Dad, who would be 100 if he were still alive said that pneumonia used to be called "the old man's friend".

I'm sure it is not very pleasant, but at least it doesn't go on very long. You either get well, or die, which has lot to be said for it.

By the way, as the doctors here know very well, even fairly young people get pneumonia all the time.

Ha
Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
My Dad, who would be 100 if he were still alive said that pneumonia used to be called "the old man's friend".
My dad used the same description.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
wow how long do you want the guy to live?
Well, considering he worked out 2 to 3 hours a day, 7 days a week for 80 years (that's about 8 solid years of his life exercising), and he didn't indulge in a chocolate bar or cup of coffee once in a while, I would expect him to go on just a little more.

Plenty of people make it to 100 or more without all those hours dedicated to exercise and eating healthy foods. Jack's brother even made it to 97 which makes me wonder if Jack would have made it to 96 even if he had exercised less and eaten less healthy foods.

I'm not advocating trading carrots for donuts, but having a piece of birthday cake once in a while isn't going to kill you.

Bottom line is that Jack was promoting something generally good for humanity and he appeared to be healthy and happy with his life to the end. That's all that really matters.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Jack's brother even made it to 97 which makes me wonder if Jack would have made it to 96 even if he had exercised less and eaten less healthy foods.
That's interesting! Does anybody know whether his brother lived a healthy lifestyle or not?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I was a big fan of Jack Lalanne. I used to watch him swim on TV, pulling all those rowboats with dozens of people in them. But I have no idea whether his fitness routine kept him alive longer. He had a good sense of humor, though. When asked about sex, he had a standard joke, saying that despite their advanced age, he and his wife still made love almost every night: "Almost on Monday, almost on Tuesday, almost on Wednesday..." However, then there's George Burns, who DID make it to 100. He had none of the conditioning Jack did. Here's a bit from an interview with him:

"Is it true that you smoke eight to ten cigars a day?"
"That's true."
"Is it true that you drink five martinis a day?"
"That's true."
"Is it true that you still surround yourself with beautiful young women?"
"That's true."
"What does your doctor say about all of this?"
"My doctor is dead."

He did say that he thought the most important aspect to longevity is lack of stress. I have to go along with that.

Anyway, RIP Jack.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Jack's brother even made it to 97 which makes me wonder if Jack would have made it to 96 even if he had exercised less and eaten less healthy foods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Seems to me that this is a huge success story if he was physically active and healthy up till the end. Most people in their 90s are not!
+1

I saw something saying his exercise regimen may not have extended his life but it almost certainly helped him 'square the curve' and live a more active life in his 80's and 90's.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

When we were kids we stretched and jumped around to his half hour b+w TV program. I loved the part where he would say, "beginners stop!"

I'm a perpetual beginner. Whenever I've had enough of anything, I still hear his voice, "beginners stop."
Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Exercise and eating right is like having good tires on your car. You can still crash, but it's less likely compared with someone with bald tires.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
..."the old man's friend"...
Here's my version...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hugh-hefner-birthday-83.jpg (96.3 KB, 6 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
Hey maybe if he drank a little wine he would have lived longer! Seriously, I was sad to hear he passed this morning!
Actually he enjoyed wine and fast cars.

Outside Online interview - 1995

ELDR magazine interview from 2007
Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker Bee View Post
Cheers to Jack LaLanne! He was an inspiration to us all in many ways. He was faithful to his workout routine, to his wife, to his dog. He seemed to walk the talk. I hope he is in Heaven now.
+1
In younger years I would watch him on the black and white TV and enjoy seeing his positive friendly attitude along with his desire to help everyone be healthy and happy. I consider him to be one of the major role models to emulate. I had a great deal of admiration for him.

Cheers!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is a photo of Ancel Keys father of the low fat high carb diet at 100
Here is a photo of Jack at 94. Ancel did make it to 100, but who looks healthier?

50 years ago Jack LaLanne gives some sage advice on diet.

News flash.....

Jack LaLanne will carry his own casket at his funeral.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #35

I remember my grandma exercising to Jack LaLanne.

A few years ago I saw him at a health fair and enjoyed his talk on exercise and healthy eating. He was very motivating and full of energy. At the end of his talk, his wife came on stage and jumped into his arms and he carried her around the stage. He must have been in his eighties at the time.

I'm sure his 96 years were full of quality and vitality up to the end.

RIP Jack
Old 01-28-2011, 06:52 AM   #36

I was sad to hear this news. He certainly did a lot to raise popular awareness in the diet and exercise department, a laudable thing given the growing obesity rate. I do think that one can live a lot better longer by getting regular cardio exercise and introducing more plant-based nutrition into one's diet. Good genes help, too, as does managing stress in one's life. Jack LaLanne was an icon and way ahead of his time.