Join Early Retirement Today

Jack LaLanne Juicer.........
Old 01-03-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jack LaLanne Juicer.........

DW got me this for an X-mas present. We had talked about it for a couple years.

Bottom line, the kids and I are having a blast juicing all sorts of stuff. However, if you juice everyday, you're going to go through MUCHO fresh produce..........

For New Year's Eve, I made a fresh veggie tray. The next day, I juiced what was leftover........ My son didn't like the fact I juiced the broccoli, but when I asked if he would rather "eat your veggies or DRINK your veggies", he drank it all in a second!!

Anyone else juice here? So far,I like it...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i've been using my omega juicer for years. great machine. great way to get vegies into a kid. be a little careful with carrots if you find you like carrot juice. when i first started juicing i drank so much that the palms of my hands turned orange. otherwise, enjoy.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Oh FDude...broccoli juice?
Old 01-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Oh FDude...broccoli juice?
Actually, the juice was a carrot/broccoli/celery/tomato/cucumber mix............tasted pretty good........

Old 01-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #5

i've been tempted to get a juicer, but so far we just blend our veggies into our smoothies...

how's the clean up on those things? as you all know, i'm supremely lazy when it comes to clean up...
Old 01-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Broccoli...the silent killer.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #7

I dont have a juicer. But wow I marvel at that guy every time I see something on him.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Isn't getting the fiber one of the main points of 'eat your vegetables'? If you drink the juice, but little fiber, maybe it's not so healthy?

Studies pop up that say 'this' or 'that' is good for you because it has 'this' or 'that' ingredient. So people start taking that ingredient. But later they learn that that ingredient is only healthy when it is combined with all the other stuff that comes with it. In some cases, the magic ingredient is bad for you when taken in isolation. I wonder if juice is similar?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Well, it actually makes very little "pulp", and I can put entire apples in it, seeds and all, kiwis with the skin on,etc.

I put melon in it with the skin on, and not much was left behind........

Old 01-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #10

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Apple Seeds and Cyanide

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I have the same question as ERD50. I thought the point of getting 5 a day was all the fiber. Then I've heard that when you juice most of the fiber is gone?? How many cases of V8 can I buy for one juicer?
StJohnsWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Your machine will probably be collecting dust by the end of the year.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #13

Since an orange juicer produces orange juice, and an apple juicer produces apple
juice, I do not think I want to try a Jack LaLanne juicer . . .
Old 01-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

We have been juicing daily (6 days a week) for the past 12 years. We use a Greenpower Juice Extractor which is Korean made. It squeezes out more juice than a centrifugal juicer (the kind I think the LaLanne juicer is).

I drink a quart of brocoli, celery, and carrot juice (only one carrot so it is mostly tasty brocoli) and DW drinks a quart of lacinato Kale and celery juice.

WHen I was walking on the treadmill two days ago, I listened to a few year old podcast of an interview Dr. John McDougall, a prominant vegan internist from California, did with Jack Lalanne a few years ago (2 or 4 I think). Lalanne said that the only animal product that he ate for years was egg whites. [I just noticed that he has meat recipes on his website.]
dlhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

So, what do you do - just liquify suff, or do you have to add water and other stuff to make it seem like juice? Oranges I can easily see, but some of the other veggies don't seem like they have enough water content. What's the trick?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
So, what do you do - just liquify suff, or do you have to add water and other stuff to make it seem like juice? Oranges I can easily see, but some of the other veggies don't seem like they have enough water content. What's the trick?
Celery is very juicy. For the others it takes quite a few veggies. For DW's juice, it takes a carrot, 6 to 8 bunches of Lacinato kale, and a bunch of celery. For mine (and DS who drinks 2 cups of the same juice I drink), it takes 3 bunches of brocoli, 2 bunches of celery and several carrots (I use one carrot, he gets the rest).

Six years ago, a local produce manager decided to sell me cases of brocolli, apples, sweet potatoes, or any other produce for just above his cost. We pay $14 for a case of 14 bunches of brocolli year round. And $16 for a case
Old 01-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Celery is juicy. The rest takes quantity. We purchase a case of brocoli, 12 - 15 bunches of celery, 25 pound bag of carrots (lasts about 2 weeks), and ginger root for DW each week. A local produce manager has been kind to us for the last 6 years and sells us produce at just above his cost. DW has had health problems in the past so I buy everything organic for her. DS and I eat some organic produce but mostly non-organic.

He sells us a case of brocoli (14 bunches) for $14 year round while the customer buying on the shelf pays $2 (on sale) to $3 per bunch. He also sells us a case of apples (which we don't juice) for $16 year round. DS and I eat apples at school/work year round.

I am still overweight at 204 lbs (5 ft 10 in tall) but when we started juicing in 1995, I weighed 275 (down from 310 in the 80's). My blood pressure dropped from 140/90 to 120/80 a few months after we started juicing. When I was 18, I couldn't join the military due to my blood pressure. Now at 57 years old, my blood pressure is about 110/60. Total cholesterol is about 130 for the past few years down from 200 or so when I was eating meat and other standard american diet stuff.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Wouldn't you still feel hungry?
starter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter82 View Post
Wouldn't you still feel hungry?
We don't just drink juice. We eat brown rice (DW grew up on lots and lots of rice and veggies), beans, and other veggies (squash, spinach, romain lettuce, cucumbers). DS (25 - living at home and working on his second graduate degree) eats mostly bread instead of rice. We eat low calorie low fat whole foods with high nutrition density, nothing processed and no animal derived foods except DS uses honey.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:47 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I like barley juice with a dash of hops. But only after it has fermented and been carbonated. Oh yeah... it is best consumed around say 40 or 45 degrees F.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote