Join Early Retirement Today

Job layoff (i.e. retirement) leads to heart attacks
Old 02-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Job layoff (i.e. retirement) leads to heart attacks

Just a note from our friends at the NYTimes:
Trauma of Job Loss Often Includes Health Problems - NYTimes.com

Perhaps nothing new: stress of a layoff leads to bad health.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Just a note from our friends at the NYTimes:
Trauma of Job Loss Often Includes Health Problems - NYTimes.com
I don't know what's more amazing: that a "journalist" got paid to write this "article", or that a newspaper publisher decided to forego the advertising space to print it.

Gosh, maybe they'll have a followup offering more advice on how to avoid the stress of a layoff.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Does it seem unlikely to you that layoffs are likely to cause stress? Certainly some people in some situations will be more able to handle this than others, but I do not think it is controversial that a layoff is a major stressor, especially if it is not totally clear that one will be picked up again soon.

Ha
Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #4

I'm not sure your subject title follows. For sure, people who *need* jobs are stressed about layoffs and the threat of layoffs. I'm not sure that means those who are able and ready to retire if they get laid off would be affected similarly.

I know if I were getting ready to retire, there's nothing I'd like more than a pink slip and a fat severance package.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm not sure your subject title follows. For sure, people who *need* jobs are stressed about layoffs and the threat of layoffs. I'm not sure that means those who are able and ready to retire if they get laid off would be affected similarly.

I know if I were getting ready to retire, there's nothing I'd like more than a pink slip and a fat severance package.
Frank sure was happy to get his yesterday (well, the pink slip, and the fat severance pay and retention bonus should follow in a couple of weeks I guess). Much to my amusement, he showed me the actual "pink slip" and it really was pink colored! I had never seen one before.

In his case, I think retirement will result in far less stress and a healthier lifestyle.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Much to my amusement, he showed me the actual "pink slip" and it really was pink colored!

In his case, I think retirement will result in far less stress and a healthier lifestyle.
Wow. Retired one day and you are already seeing an entirely different Frank:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pink slip.jpg (28.4 KB, 6 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Administrator

ROFL!!! Well actually, it was a pink slip of PAPER... Frank and I do have a lot of fun and recreation ahead.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wow. Retired one day and you are already seeing an entirely different Frank:
Now, that's the sort of pink slip I like to see.

A few months ago we were talking around the coffee pot at work and one of the guys was telling the story of a friend who had just been to a big meeting where the company announced many lay-offs and apparently one guy, only 1 year away from retirement, collapsed with a heart attack right there and then.

He didn't die, and it wasn't clear how his lay-off would have affected his DB pension - but his heart didn't wait to hear the details.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

As a contractor, lay-offs are part of the life.

I am a lot better prepared than the staff stiffs who have turned me down for jobs saying, "You've had too many jobs." Welcome to the deep end, boys.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Is volunteer retirment stressful? From personal experience, I give you a resounding NO! vote.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
Is volunteer retirment stressful? From personal experience, I give you a resounding NO! vote.
Well, I dunno. You be the judge. I got up at 8:30, walked over to Trader Joe and had a little free coffee and bought some eggs. I came back and made ham and eggs. Then my dance partner came over and we danced tango for a couple hours. Then we walked a few blocks to an all day happy hour, had some nice ribs and a a glass of wine. Then she went home and I am sitting here letting my food digest before I bus downtown to buy some grass fed beef.

Pretty tough day so far, but I will endure.

When and if money tightness shows up, it gets more dicey.

Ha
Old 03-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Well, I dunno. You be the judge. I got up at 8:30, walked over to Trader Joe and had a little free coffee and bought some eggs. I came back and made ham and eggs. Then my dance partner came over and we danced tango for a couple hours. Then we walked a few blocks to an all day happy hour, had some nice ribs and a a glass of wine. Then she went home and I am sitting here letting my food digest before I bus downtown to buy some grass fed beef.
Yeah, that kind of stressful life is going to cause all kinds of heath problems.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Gee, I don't know. I would try to fit a nap in there sometime, to cut down on all the stress in that hectic schedule.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I am sitting here letting my food digest before I bus downtown to buy some grass
It looks like retirement has upped your risk tolerance?*

*Quoted material may not be 100% contextually accurate.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Well, ha DOES live in Seattle.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #16
Confused about dryer sheets

There are many things in life which affect stress levels of a person. One with composure knows how to deal with stress and anxiety at various stages; if thatís the case, lay off does not play havoc for those.