Jogging / running shoes recommendations?

Dude

Recycles dryer sheets
I recently (past few months) started jogging 5-6 days a week in the early morning and am really enjoying it. I live in St. Petersburg, FL and jog on what's called the Pinellas Trail which is basically an old railroad route that was paved over and made into a recreational trail.

So I'm jogging on asphalt. I'm interested in preventing damage to my knees/feet/joints as much as possible, so I'm looking for the best shoes (and socks) system for maximum shock absorbtion. Right now I'm jogging on Mizuno Wave Creation 7 shoes with Thorlos running protection level 3 socks. My only complaint with the Mizunos is that they seem to be wearing out rather quickly.

Anybody care to share what you've found to be the best?

Thanks.

Dude,

First you need to figure out if you over pronate, under pronate or are a neutral runner. That determines if you need a motion control, stability or cushioned shoe.
If you are a neutral runner you can probably run in about any shoe and you will be ok but if you under pronate and have a shoe designed for over pronaters then you will probably have injury problems.

Matching the type of shoe to your needs is more important than the brand.

There are a number of tests for this. Look at the Road Runner Sports web site.

But the best thing to do is go to a good Running Shoe Store. Tell them that you need help finding a shoe. They should ask you questions about your running and watch you while you run. Tri-shops are generally also very good because triathletes are 100% anal about this sort of stuff and they talk about little else so the bad tri shop don't last long. Stay away from general sporting good stores because frequently they will hire people that don't know much about shoes.

The rule of thumb is that shoes will last 300-500 miles depending on your weight, etc. But the cushiony white part loses its cushion before the black part is worn out so don't base it on the black part. When I get a new pair of shoes I write the date on them with a permanent marker and use that to keep track of the approximate mileage.

MB

I think it's pretty individual, as MB says. I run in New Balance shoes because I pronate (one of the joys of aging - never did so in my 40s) and they happen to work just fine for my foot.

An aside: I abandoned the Thorlo socks as I found they were so thick they forced me to buy a size larger shoe which, in turn, wasn't quite right mechanically. With a standard sock I buy true to size and it worked better for me.

Where does that trail run? I might give it a try. Ran the Gandy Bridge recently and between the pelicans and the dolphins, it was pretty entertaining.

Please excuse my ignorance . Can someone explain what over and under pronation means. And which type of shoe is recommended for each?---motion control, stability, cushioned. Is this like when your wheels are not aligned and you wear out the inside or outside of tires?
I wear out the outside of heels. Thanks for your help.

FINALLY, an area I know soemthing about!! During my competitive running days, I worked at a shoe store that specialized in running shoes, Nike, Asics, New Balance, Reebok, etc.

Pronator: Is a person whose arch collapses upon strike the ground, allowing the foot to "roll in" toward the inside of the foot. Pronators are probably about 65% of all runners. These folks need a motion control shoe with a lot of stability built in the heel area to absorb thr twisting and pounding that occurs.

Supinator: Is a person who typically runs on the outside of the foot, and most of these folks have a high strong arch. These folks tens to wear out the outside of the shoe, as there is not nearly as much inward rolling action. I know guys who would wear out the outside of the shoe after 200 miles, and the rest of the shoe is like new............... :eek:

There are a ton of choices out there. In Florida, I imagine there are specialty shoe stores for runners. I personally would no go to one of those chain stores like Foot Locker............most of those folks have no training in running........

The thing that really helped me avoid injuries was a good orthotic insert. I went to a sports podiatrist when I started getting some nagging knee pain. What I found out was when I ran fast (track races), I was up on my toes and the balls of my feet, and structurally I was ok there. When I started running long distances, I was running on my heels, and the pronation was putting stress on my knees. I got an insert that I put in my shoes, and I had an injury free competitive running career.

I think having a sports podiatrist analyze your gait and getting aligned properly is the key.

New Balance is a great shoe, and their claim to fame is their shoes come in a ton of WIDTHS, which is helpful for bigger guys like me. However, I have good success with NIke and ASICS (Tiger) too...........I stay away from Reebok because their technologies IMHO break down too soon........... ;)

Good luck........... :D

Go to a running store, The stores in the mall footlocker, khols, champs etc all have marginal running shoes. There are really two markets, the stores I just mentioned have older styles and quite frankly cater to the person who wants to wear the sneakers as a pair of shoes and really not run in them.

The running shoe stores will correctly size you and put the right running shoes on you.

Now for the 300 to 500 mile per pair thing well this wacko puts sometimes 1000 miles on a pair and yes my back hurts sometimes but I love some of the old pairs that I have. I wear 3 or so at a time rotating different running shoes for the different training runs that I will do.

Have fun running.

It will keep the weight off!!

Thanks to everyone for the very informative replies.

Rich - look at this site, click on "overview map of the trail":
http://www.pinellascounty.org/trailgd/
I live along the southern end.

FinanceDude - I must be a pronator.....the inside heel of each shoe is very worn while the outside is almost like new

A guy I went through grad school with and who competed in the Hawaii Ironman this year recommended this shop which I am going to check out:
http://www.americanrunningcompany.com/

kaneohe said:
Is this like when your wheels are not aligned and you wear out the inside or outside of tires?
I wear out the outside of heels. Thanks for your help.

You have to be carefull because most people wear the outside of the heel. What most people do is strike on the outside heel and then roll inwards to a more neutral position. If you roll to much you are an over pronator. If you don't role enough or roll outward then you are an underpronator or suppinator, respectively.

So it is better to look at the wear pattens near the mid-foot or toe portion of the shoe rather than the heel. Some people heel strike on the outside and wear that area but than roll inward to much and wear the inside of the mid-foot or toe area. It is the later area that is usually more important for determining shoe type.

As Finance Dude noted arch type plays into it. One test is to step in a bucket of water and then on to piece of paper and look at the foot print that is produced. I think that Road Runner Sports has a chart showing shoe type based on the foot print.

But really the best thing to do is to go to a good running store and let them help you. You may pay a little more than you would buying them on line but it is worth it if it saves your knees.

MB

FinanceDude said:
The thing that really helped me avoid injuries was a good orthotic insert. I went to a sports podiatrist when I started getting some nagging knee pain. What I found out was when I ran fast (track races), I was up on my toes and the balls of my feet, and structurally I was ok there. When I started running long distances, I was running on my heels, and the pronation was putting stress on my knees. I got an insert that I put in my shoes, and I had an injury free competitive running career.

I think having a sports podiatrist analyze your gait and getting aligned properly is the key.

I used to run pretty regularly, rarely do now, and miss the efficiency of it. I think it is my pronation that caused foot pain and a little strain on the knees. A ski instructor once recommended I get orthotics for ski boots to help with the pronation... he thought it would help my skiing form.

What was the cost of your gait analysis and what was the cost of the shoe insert? I'd love to be able to do some running again without worrying about so much wear and tear.

Thanks ;)

califdreamer said:
I used to run pretty regularly, rarely do now, and miss the efficiency of it. I think it is my pronation that caused foot pain and a little strain on the knees. A ski instructor once recommended I get orthotics for ski boots to help with the pronation... he thought it would help my skiing form.

What was the cost of your gait analysis and what was the cost of the shoe insert? I'd love to be able to do some running again without worrying about so much wear and tear.
Thanks ;)

I got mine a LONG time ago, but a visit to a sports podiatrist for gait analysis shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks..........I have heard inserts today are anywhere from $200-$1000, depending on what is needed to correct the problem........ I would think you could be set up pretty nicely at an average price of arounf $700 all told. If it kepps you uninjured, that's a small price to pay.........

One caveat: DO NOT SKIMP ON THE PRICE OF SHOES........... ;)

However, I have good success with Nike and ASICS (Tiger) too.....

I generally get NB as they seem to fit me best and have a nice life span. I recently picked up a pair of ASICS that were on sale. I had never used this brand before, but the price was right so I got them. They have been one of the better wearing/comfortable shoes that I have ever had. Of course, I do not know if I just lucked up and got the only quality pair of shoes that they have ever made, or if this is the norm. I will probably get another pair next time just to see if they pass the test also.

FinanceDude said:
One caveat: DO NOT SKIMP ON THE PRICE OF SHOES........... ;)
Hmm, this whole thread got my engineering, back of the envelope number crunching curiosity up.
I'm not a runner and bought running shoes only once by mistake (and boy, they were uncomfortable for everyday walking).
How much is your cost per mile? You mentioned something like 300 to 500 miles.
If the pair costs $100 it means 20c to 33c per mile.
Hey - if you buy more expensive shoes you might exceed IRS mileage rate (44.5c I think) ;)

sailor

BTW: The most service I ever got from a pair of shoes was 9 years, four continents and roughly 17000 miles (it took 4 Vibram re-soling though). I would still use them today if not for DM & DW plot, who decided they are not fit even for the casual use)

Shoes are important.
Varying the intensity of your runs is just as important. Long-short-long-rest-long-short-rest (weekly plan) is a good way to keep allow your body to recover. Also, take a slow/rest week every month.

Walkinwood said:
Shoes are important.
Varying the intensity of your runs is just as important. Long-short-long-rest-long-short-rest (weekly plan) is a good way to keep allow your body to recover. Also, take a slow/rest week every month.

Fartlek or track workouts should be done only once a week, unless you are training for a track event..........

Also if the road or street slopes to one side you should alternate sides ...And remember to go out slow and then taper off!

pilgrim555 said:
Also if the road or street slopes to one side you should alternate sides ...And remember to go out slow and then taper off!

Very true..........got some "phantom knee pain" by not paying attention to that.

I still feel the best way to train (if possible) is running on trails, particularyl where the terrain is uneven........you learn how to run on uneven surfaces, and it strengthens your knee and lower leg structure which helps on pavement......... :D

Also....................SSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHH every day............. ;)

Back
Top Bottom