Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
OK, I'm back.
Now if I can only get my digestive system to stop being on strike from the surgery!
Welcome back! I understand that it's not the surgery, but probably the vicodin and any other drugs that are messing with your system. You know: you've got everything laid back and relaxed with those medicaments. Anyways, I used that as an excuse to consume 200 grams of premium chocolate a day in the first week after my surgery.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

They gave me a prescription for 60 Vicodin pills! I took about five before I decided they weren't worth the side effects, and they weren't making me high anyway.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They gave me a prescription for 60 Vicodin pills! I took about five before I decided they weren't worth the side effects, and they weren't making me high anyway.
I think I can see how Craigslist became so popular in your area...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #44
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
They gave me Vicodin several years ago for excruciating lower back pain; I didn't like it, it messed with my sleep/dreams.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:36 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Back on topic for a minute, if you or the surgeon weren't able to identify a specific cause then how do you avoid a recurrence? Is the repair considered to be stronger, weaker, or the same as the rest of the abdominal wall? And is there a warranty on the surgery?

Or are you stuck with Dr. Groucho Marx's advice:
"Doctor, it hurts when I play the trombone!"
"Well, don't do that anymore!!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 07-06-2007, 08:12 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Back on topic for a minute, if you or the surgeon weren't able to identify a specific cause then how do you avoid a recurrence? Is the repair considered to be stronger, weaker, or the same as the rest of the abdominal wall? And is there a warranty on the surgery?

Or are you stuck with Dr. Groucho Marx's advice:
"Doctor, it hurts when I play the trombone!"
"Well, don't do that anymore!!"
I know they used to use Gore-tex mesh in the repairs area. Reminded me of the drywall mesh I used for repairs. If the Goretex works as well as drywall mesh, I'd say Trombone Al is the $6 million dollar man......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Right. My first question to the doc at my follow-up appointment will be "Am I better than new now?" I'm expecting the answer is "Yes," since with the mesh and the scar tissue it will produce, I'll bet there will be no future breakthroughs. Recurrence rate is < 1%.

The surgeon said they were "pretty major defects," so there's that to be proud of.

Click here for a weird video of laparoscopy hernia repair. Don't watch this if you're going to have the surgery done. I say "weird" because it sounds like there's some toddler running around in the operating room.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
Right. My first question to the doc at my follow-up appointment will be "Am I better than new now?" I'm expecting the answer is "Yes," since with the mesh and the scar tissue it will produce, I'll bet there will be no future breakthroughs. Recurrence rate is < 1%.

The surgeon said they were "pretty major defects," so there's that to be proud of.

Click here for a weird video of laparoscopy hernia repair. Don't watch this if you're going to have the surgery done. I say "weird" because it sounds like there's some toddler running around in the operating room.

I just loved my surgeon telling me after oh we found this and that when we went in there. Fixed something else yada yada yada. Hope you are feeling better. Take a walk as far as you can today. Go a bit further each and everyday for the next week.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Welcome back, Al, and congrats on having the surgery behind. FWIW I had two of them repaired (at different times) and neither one of them gave me any trouble, and it's been 30 years for one, 15 for the other. I did have some minor and sporadic cramping pain in the area for up to a year, but nothing bad.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Had mine done, about three years ago. Found three hernias, instead of just one. No problems since. Worst part was the "shaving," in prep for the surgery. Geez, what a humiliation!!

They did the lap procedure and inserted some mesh. I didn't have any problems, except for having to learn a new way, to get in and out of bed.
Sundance Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance Kid View Post
Worst part was the "shaving," in prep for the surgery. Geez, what a humiliation!!
Had a vasectomy yet?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Oh dont start that again...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Had a vasectomy yet?
Had an no-scalpel. Nurse complimented me on my shaving job.. said she didn't need to do any prep. Went smooth as anything and was way less painless than the sigmoidoscopy.

can't contribute much else to this thread... no hernias so far, thank god.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:39 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Can you blame them? They saw what you did to the family jewels and decided to just keep a low profile...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:33 AM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Had a vasectomy yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Oh dont start that again...
anyone have a reverse vasectomy yet?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:18 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

This is something I will never need......

but I do know a surgeon who makes his living on this procedure.

Who says men don't change their minds?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

[quote=Webzter;533205]Had an no-scalpel. Nurse complimented me on my shaving job.. /quote]

Maybe she thought you worked in the adult film industry.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Who says men don't change their minds?
I think it's more the case of having their minds changed for them... perhaps even a procreation ultimatum.

Final Update
Old 07-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Final Update

Went in for my three-week follow up. The doc confirmed that I am now better-than-new. He said that if it recurred or there was a problem, it wouldn't be because of something I did. That is, I couldn't cause it to recur by lifting heavy logs or surfing. So that makes me the bionic man, groin-wise, but I won't push it.

I still have a little numbness in a non-important area, but that may go away in time.

So I'm back to splitting firewood and surfing, and it feels great. This reminded me not to take my health for granted.

Here's a shot I took (with the $1 digicam) on the way home from surfing yesterday:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TripHomeFromSurfing.jpg (113.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Just no log splitting while surfing. Unless you're REALLY good.

Hey, another use for the $1 digicam...I gave my old worthless one to Gabe a few weeks ago with fresh batteries. He's taken to it as a heck of a good toy, although most of the time he prefers to take shots with his eye up to the FRONT of the camera lens.

After all this time, we have a couple of hundred shots, about 25 of which are actually pretty interesting "baby eye view" shots.