Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been a gym member since I moved to DC in 1980. I need the structure to get the lifting in that I like. Since retirement DW and I have taken up biking and average 60-100 miles per week. During the cool-warm season I only go to the gym for weights. In the winter and sometimes in the worst heat waves I go a couple of times a week for spinning. I wish I liked walking more because that is probably the best exercise you can make a habit out of.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 11:40 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Been members of Y since winter set in two years ago. DW does yoga and what I refer to as "kick yer ass classes" 3-5 times a week. I used to only go in inclement weather and just used cardio machines. I prefer mountain biking but trails close if rain or even muddy. Have discovered Expresso bikes at Y, addictive. Video screen with many select rides, keeps all your data (and you can see others) and I find it is the only indoor cardio I actually enjoy. Treadmills, ellipticals, and plain bikes just bore me to death. Was doing weight machines but have a shoulder problem that stopped that.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I belong to a women's gym . I go three times a week mostly swimming or cardio.We have a treadmill, a rower and other equipment at home but I need the motivation of a gym.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't belong to a gym but I do work out regularly. In no particular order, yoga, treadmill, weights, walking in the park.

That pesky pedometer is a handy thing to have.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I exercise regularly. Now play b-ball two days a week and hockey once. Between that I might walk, run or bike. In the summer, I do a lot of biking including bike tours of a few weeks.

Before moving a few years ago, I belonged to a gym where I exercised on my own and played b-ball. Lifting weights on my own, I expect I was doing things wrong (form) and potentially harmful or with low effect.

Our kids use a trainer that is a bit expensive but he selects a good program and helps with form, which I believe makes a big difference. I have been lazy to use the trainer but our holiday gift will be one month with their trainer. And my wife said we should do at least 2 months. I know it is much better than Planet Fitness since this trainer mostly encourages using your own body weight, which I believe has the lowest chance of injury.

At the end of the day however, I am still drawn to competitive sports. The players do not need to be great but the competition itself is fun.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #46

I've belonged to a gym since my 20's so about 20 years. I go right after work. I use weights at home but like all the different equipment and classes at the gym. Latest rage is the kamagon ball for exercise. The routines are similar to using a kettlebell.

Someone else posted about checking out the gym at the hours you would use it. If you are thinking about joining for the New Year (usually see discounts to join around then) be aware that the influx of newbies swells the ranks. It looks like it's crowded but thins out after January.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Sounds like my Planet Fitness membership. $10/month but add sales tax and an annual fee that's charged in chunks over the year. I use it daily. Great people and equipment, but I HATE that the only way to pay is them yanking it out of your checking account. Not even my mortgage company gets to do that. The guest fee is $20 unless you have the more expensive (additional $10/month) membership. I bring DS in a few times a year when he's here to visit.
My Planet Fitness experience is much different than yours. Every year, about a month before my membership expires, I get a coupon in the mail to renew for $99 per year. I hand them my credit card, they charge $99 to it, and that's it. No sales tax, no additional fee, no more charges until I renew again in 12 months.

I only use the Planet for weight workouts. Everything else, I do either outside or in my basement. But I'm one who would rather run outside in sub-zero weather than get on a treadmill.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #48

I joined a gym called 10-Fitness ($10 + taxes) after retiring and was getting lackadaisical about going until recently.

It used to make me laugh(grimace) to think I changed gyms upon retirement and saved $30/month. I was looking for $1100 to shave off pre-retirement budget, ha.

To attend classes at the "new" gym costs another $10 UNLESS it is the weight training class. The weight training class is the one I was most interested in, and recently found out it is included in the $10+ fee.

Before retirement, at my old gym, the weight training class was my go-to.

So, while I am on the back row, giving new meaning to modifying, I am a happy clam.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
My Planet Fitness experience is much different than yours. Every year, about a month before my membership expires, I get a coupon in the mail to renew for $99 per year. I hand them my credit card, they charge $99 to it, and that's it. No sales tax, no additional fee, no more charges until I renew again in 12 months..

I just joined in July after we moved to the area so it could happen. I'll be thrilled if I get that deal!
Old 12-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I get free access to our Anytime Fitness gym from my Silver Sneakers membership that is part of our Medicare Advantage plan. My daughter told me that she will introduce me to the trainer there so that I can get started using the equipment. This is a nice savings and saves me $60 per month over the YMCA in the next town over.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
If you are thinking about joining for the New Year (usually see discounts to join around then) be aware that the influx of newbies swells the ranks. It looks like it's crowded but thins out after January.
I've noticed that too. It's gotten to the point where I can see "That one won't last two weeks, that one might last a month, that one will be gone in two months..." and so on.

I once asked the manager how many of the people who sign up for an annual membership (cheaper that way) actually continue going for the year. "About half."
Old 12-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #52

Just Curious

(Duplicate post)
Old 12-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #53

I listened to a Planet Money podcast on this; people who sign up and quit using the facilities early are a great source of revenue. So, when I see the newbies flooding in in January, I wish them well. Some will stay with it and realize the benefits; the rest keep the fees down.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:27 PM   #54

I probably have more equipment than most gyms. A full dumbbell rack 2-45 lbs, free weights, a universal, elliptical, recumbent bike, treadmill, etc.

While I sleep, I get the osmosis action of the equipment.

I do go for a 3-mile walk everyday, I have a walking/bike path in front of my home.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #55

See this:

High-Intensity Interval Training Offers a Short, Sweet—and Effective—Workout Routine - WSJ

Quote:
It can yield greater benefits, in less time, than a conventional workout, and may have particular benefits for older exercisers
Old 12-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I probably have more equipment than most gyms. A full dumbbell rack 2-45 lbs, free weights, a universal, elliptical, recumbent bike, treadmill, etc.
With the "senior" discount, I pay $9.75/mo for a membership to a local municipal rec center, so I sold what stuff I had to declutter.

There's still one dumbbell in my house though...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Paid $130 for a 1 year membership to the local community center fitness room. It is small, but rarely crowded when I go around 8am. The last few months (since I quit working), I've been going 2-4 times/week, and going out to walk around a local lake 1-3 times/week.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

+1. My weights routine and winter spinning both fit the HIIT approach. I don't like spending a lot of time at the gym so a shorter routine appeals to me. Bottom line is I am lazy.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I work out for about an hour/day at a nearby military facility that is about a 10 minute drive away. I have done this for 10+ years so it's now part of my daily activities. In the past I have never been a gym rat or needed to run etc in order to feel fulfilled. Now I do it because it will help me stay healthy and live longer. If it doesn't, what have I lost but a bit of time and effort.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:41 PM   #60

Home gym in a spare bedroom...plenty of free weights with a power cage. Treadmill in the basement. I just picked up an old tractor tire from a friend to flip it around the yard.