Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks, Rich, for posting this. I had never heard of this vaccine and will be calling around to price it.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

It is worth every penny to avoid that pain
Old 05-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

It is worth every penny to avoid that pain

I got my shot last yr at age 56 and paid full price as my ins. would not cover it. I took care of my mother who had 7 yrs. of misery and pain due to the shingles virus, which she got at age 69. She ended up bed-ridden and house bound because every step she took caused pain. Fortunately, she had excellent insurance coverage, as the medical bills and prescriptions ran into the $100,000's, but her last years (she died in 2006) were filled with Dr. appt's, surgeries for pain pumps, and spinal injections, countless drugs and one suicide attempt. Frankly, even mild cases of shingles are miserable from what I have seen...so it is worth every penny to avoid that pain and suffering.
Patsweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsweb View Post
I got my shot last yr at age 56 and paid full price as my ins. would not cover it. I took care of my mother who had 7 yrs. of misery and pain due to the shingles virus, which she got at age 69. She ended up bed-ridden and house bound because every step she took caused pain. Fortunately, she had excellent insurance coverage, as the medical bills and prescriptions ran into the $100,000's, but her last years (she died in 2006) were filled with Dr. appt's, surgeries for pain pumps, and spinal injections, countless drugs and one suicide attempt. Frankly, even mild cases of shingles are miserable from what I have seen...so it is worth every penny to avoid that pain and suffering.
Wow I had no idea it could get that bad. I know recently my wife worked with a lady who was out of work for about 7 months because of it. Geez I may look into getting it.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #44

I tried to schedule a zoster shot but was told that since I'm not 60 yet I would need a dr's prescription. So I wait a month.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Husband was in the first study, he got the placebo. During the study he got a mild case of shingles. At the end he got the vaccine.

Interestingly, he was in the Seattle VA portion of the study even tho he was only in the AF Reserves way, way back when.
I'm currently in a study on the effectiveness of this shot for people between the ages of 50 and 60 (I'm 52). I got a shot but just not sure if I got the real thing or not. The study goes for another 6 months or so.

My mother got shingles about 2 years ago at the age of 85 and was in pain for months afterwards. Even now 2 years later she says that her scalp itches from it. She got it in an area on her face and scalp that if not caught in time could have caused blindness.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I mentioned this vaccine to my father about a year ago after having seen a friend who is about the same age suffer mightily with shingles a couple of years ago.

My father doesn't think he ever had chicken pox which makes me really wonder. I'm pretty sure my sister and I had chicken pox when I was about 5. It is one of my earliest memories - sitting in the bath miserable because of all the pustules. I don't see how my Dad would not have gotten sick at the time if he had not already had chicken pox. He doesn't remember my memory either. It would be my mother who would remember things like this - unfortunately she passed away a long time ago.

So - he can get tested to see if he has ever had chicken pox? I hate the idea of him contracting shingles. He will be 79 this month.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
My father doesn't think he ever had chicken pox which makes me really wonder. I'm pretty sure my sister and I had chicken pox when I was about 5.
Audrey
I believe that chicken pox is extremely contagious, but also that many cases are not clinically apparent. So it seems quite likely that your Father did have it, but it just was not noticeable.

Ha
Old 05-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I mentioned this vaccine to my father about a year ago after having seen a friend who is about the same age suffer mightily with shingles a couple of years ago.

My father doesn't think he ever had chicken pox which makes me really wonder. I'm pretty sure my sister and I had chicken pox when I was about 5. It is one of my earliest memories - sitting in the bath miserable because of all the pustules. I don't see how my Dad would not have gotten sick at the time if he had not already had chicken pox. He doesn't remember my memory either. It would be my mother who would remember things like this - unfortunately she passed away a long time ago.

So - he can get tested to see if he has ever had chicken pox? I hate the idea of him contracting shingles. He will be 79 this month.
Audrey, chicken pox can be so mild as to be unrecalled or nonevident. Virtually everyone our age and above has been exposed if you do random sampling, even among those with no recollection. It's so likely that the cost of testing is a waste. He had it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
My mother got shingles about 2 years ago at the age of 85 and was in pain for months afterwards. Even now 2 years later she says that her scalp itches from it. She got it in an area on her face and scalp that if not caught in time could have caused blindness.
I had a patient referred to me for post-herpetic itch. He had had shingles a year or two prior but this itch developed post and was severe. He would put his head under ice cold water repetitively as this was the only temporary relief he found for this itch. His physician was hoping perhaps TENS (a type of electrical stim for pain relief) would help. Alas, it did not.

We will be getting the injection when the time is right. Probably earlier than 60 (50's?), but I think 40 is too young, since the research isn't there to support it yet.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Is shingles getting more common? I don't remember hearing much about until recently.

Ha
Old 05-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #51
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Is shingles getting more common? I don't remember hearing much about until recently.

Ha
I've been hearing about it for at least 30 years and it scares the crap out of me.

Will be getting the vax when I turn 60 (~year and a half).
Old 05-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You don't hear so much about stuff you can neither prevent nor treat. Shingles has become slightly treatable and moderately preventable in the last few years.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #53

Quote:

Audrey
Audrey, see my post dated 4-24-09 relative to getting tested for chicken pox.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
...more info on the shingles vaccine
Old 05-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe

...more info on the shingles vaccine

Here's a link to more info on how effective the vaccine may be:
Should you get the shingles vaccine? - Page 1 - MSN Health & Fitness - Vaccinations put out by Harvard Medical School.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:14 AM   #55
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am over 60. Dr suggested vacine BUT
1. Insurance will NOT pay
2. Dr. office charges $350
3. Drug store charges $275 + $50 admin fee

Due to an accident I had Thanksgiving w/ Dr. visits, PT & druges spread over 2008 AND 2009 I am already out of pocket 2 $300 co pays + 20% copay for EVERY Dr. visit and PT session and $30-$50 per Rx ( I am on 2 regular monthly Rx). total is >$1000 beyond my flexible spending account already AND its only May. Have a min of $500 more to pay this year just for routine Rx if nothing else crops up. Simply cannot afford MORE out of pocket expense.

I am going to HAVE to wait until 2010. I will adjust my flex medical to include this.
marvholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvholly View Post
......<snip>........ Simply cannot afford MORE out of pocket expense.

I am going to HAVE to wait until 2010. I will adjust my flex medical to include this.

You might want to talk to someone that has has shingles before you make that decision.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #57
Dryer sheet wannabe

From what I had heard from others who had family or friends that acquired a bad case of shingles, those were people whose immune systems weren't strong. Several were alcoholics or had cancer. In my mother's case, she had recently been released from a 3 wk stay in a hospital and had only given up drinking and smoking about 2 months prior. She was underweight and malnourished, which may have led to a worse case than she would have had otherwise. However, even the mild cases of shingles seem to cause lots of misery, but they just don't seem to last years and years.
Why the insurance companies won't cover this for everyone over 50 is a mystery, as it can lead to huge medical bills not to mention so much misery.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsweb View Post
From what I had heard from others who had family or friends that acquired a bad case of shingles, those were people whose immune systems weren't strong. Several were alcoholics or had cancer. In my mother's case, she had recently been released from a 3 wk stay in a hospital and had only given up drinking and smoking about 2 months prior. She was underweight and malnourished, which may have led to a worse case than she would have had otherwise. However, even the mild cases of shingles seem to cause lots of misery, but they just don't seem to last years and years.
Shingles can and does routinely affect otherwise perfectly healthy people who have normal immune systems. Shingles itself (the rash) lasts for weeks; post-herpetic neuralgia (the nerve pain itself) occasionally lasts for year to life.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

I was expecting some BAD medical news. Had some BAD test results in Feb and just had the retests done 5/8. Logged in to get the results after my post & everything is ok.

HOWEVER:
I need dental work that is NOT much covered - 4/30 appt xrays
My washer just died (its only 6 y/o but was junk from day 1 so I will NOT put $$$ into repairs) or I have a MAJOR sewer line issue (water all over the laundry room floor).

Budget is already VERY tight and cannot really handle all these extras. I just have to cut/wait where/when I can.
marvholly is offline   Reply With Quote