Just got my zoster vaccine

Birthday present? Like getting a colonscopy for your 50th and 60th?

Why is the recommendation to get it after age 60 and not before? I had a friend who got shingles and was miserable for months.

I'm over age 60 so I just got my zoster vaccine yesterday. Something to think about.

Check for insurance coverage -- it's expensive, like $350 I was told.

Both DW and myself had the shingles vaccine in 2007. At that time Medicare did not cover the cost ($275 + $30 Adm each) but my secondary insurance (BCBS) did cover it, less 20% copay. Well worth doing. Medicare may cover the vaccine now. Also, please note that you must have had chicken pox in your past in order to get this shot. I did not know and could not find out so I had to be tested. Allso, I don't remember hearing anything about the 60 year old rule. Of course we were 70.

Birthday present? Like getting a colonscopy for your 50th and 60th?

Why is the recommendation to get it after age 60 and not before? I had a friend who got shingles and was miserable for months.
Never let it be said that I don't know how to party.

Age 60 is about when the incidence of shingles rises rapidly; young'ns can get it but less frequently. In addition, the incidence of post-herpetic neuralgia (permanent nerve pain after the shingles go away) is higher in older patients. The latter is the real motivator for me; it is not a fun condition.

Johnnie - virtually everyone currently over age 50 or 55 has had chicken pox, including those who do not recall ever having it. It is so universal that many we don't really even check any more.

I'm over age 60 so I just got my zoster vaccine yesterday. Something to think about.

Check for insurance coverage -- it's expensive, like $350 I was told.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to ask my doc about that. Never heard of zoster, at first I thought it was some kind of religious group you got your vaccine from, but that's Zoroaster. But shingles I've heard of, I think they go on the roof, right? ;)

I'm planning on it when I hit 60. My insurance wil probably cover it.

Khan
Good luck on getting insurance to cover it.
Both DW and I have gotten our shots--only way insurance would cover the vacine was if the vacine was administered AT the physician's office. Since the clinic does not have sufficient demand to timely use a full vial 10 shots)--the docs sent us to the pharmacy where our insurance (Regence Blue Shield) would not cover. Our cost 225. Still a good investment but logic for insurance company excapes me. MIL had same issue and she is on Medicare and had to go her pharmacy to get it. We both live in smaller communities so docs seem to stock much of the vacines in their offices anymore

Khan
Good luck on getting insurance to cover it.
Both DW and I have gotten our shots--only way insurance would cover the vacine was if the vacine was administered AT the physician's office. Since the clinic does not have sufficient demand to timely use a full vial 10 shots)--the docs sent us to the pharmacy where our insurance (Regence Blue Shield) would not cover. Our cost 225. Still a good investment but logic for insurance company excapes me. MIL had same issue and she is on Medicare and had to go her pharmacy to get it. We both live in smaller communities so docs seem to stock much of the vacines in their offices anymore

I have very good health insurance, a retired federal employee with an HSA.

I had shingles fifteen years ago . It's worth a lot more than $350 to avoid it . Mine was in my arm & chest and the only way I can describe the pain is it felt like someone took a blowtorch to my arm .

DH is in a research study for a shingles vaccine--he got a shot a year ago and calls in each month to report any symptoms. He's sure he got the fake shot.

I posted about this a while back when my brother got it in a quadrant on his face and it is still affecting his sight in one eye. I'm going for the vaccine when I turn 60 even if I have to pay for it out of my own pocket.

Also, please note that you must have had chicken pox in your past in order to get this shot.

DW just told me we don't need it because we've had chickenpox when young. Which is it, you need the shot if you've had chickenpox, or if you haven't?

DW just told me we don't need it because we've had chickenpox when young. Which is it, you need the shot if you've had chickenpox, or if you haven't?

If you've had chickenpox you need it. Shingles is another outbreak of the same virus, which can stay dormant in your body for decades before erupting again - very painfully.

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus, the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive (dormant) in your nerves. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles.
Shingles - MayoClinic.com

OK, so let's say you're 55, you read this thread and decide you're definitely going to get the vaccine at 60. Why not get it now? It will last your lifetime, right? You might get shingles at age 57. It will only be wasted if you die before 60.

Is that logic correct?

OK, so let's say you're 55, you read this thread and decide you're definitely going to get the vaccine at 60. Why not get it now? It will last your lifetime, right? You might get shingles at age 57. It will only be wasted if you die before 60.

Is that logic correct?
Yes, you could take it now. It may not be covered since the recommended group doesn't officially include you. The duration of effectiveness is unknown.

But 57 is close enough. I wouldn't hesitate on that count. Your doc may agree.

Rich convinced me

Apparently it is only covered by Medicare Part D, not B. I have a bare bones Part D policy, but I just went down to my local Safeway and the pharmacist gave it to me. $185 and a big discount on my next tank of Safeway gas.

The pharmacist looked to be only 30 or so, but he got the Zostavax himself because a young friend of his got Herpes Zoster on his face and was in terrible pain.

Ha

Kaiser covered in full, less $15 copay. I am moving out of Kaiser coverage area and I will miss it.

Yes, you could take it now. It may not be covered since the recommended group doesn't officially include you. The duration of effectiveness is unknown.
But 57 is close enough. I wouldn't hesitate on that count. Your doc may agree.
Rich, I'm suffering from comprehension difficulties and I've never seen a summary of the issues. Let me ask the question again while I'm pushing at the edges of the envelope.

I had a flaming case of chicken pox at the age of 10 (1970) and I've watched a couple of relatives suffer through shingles. I'm not very happy about waiting another 11+ years until I join the 60s club and can get the vaccine with insurance coverage. Getting the vaccine now, at age 48, even having to pay $350 for it, would make me sleep better at night. That'd go double for my spouse, and of course nobody sleeps at night in our house until she's sleeping happily. I can't imagine what'd be worse-- having a case of the shingles or having to care for my spouse while she grappled with a case of the shingles.

Sure, I'd base my decision on the vaccine's longevity, but would it be possible to get one now and another one at age 60?

I'm apparently one of the last humans of the 20th century to be vaccinated against smallpox, but I don't know if that's an issue for chickenpox or shingles. Are there any other adverse impacts or side effects that would give me pause at burning my money on this now? Because right now I'd hate to be dealing with shingles symptoms while thinking "$350 could have avoided all of this..."

My wife an I also got our shots last year at 60. Insurance paid for about 75% of the cost. Just wanted to point out that the shot reduces your chance of shingles, it does not eliminate the chance. A friend had the shot and later still got the shingles.

Jeb

DW has had shingles, two years ago at age 45. If I could have prevented it for her with a $350 shot I would have done it without blinking an eye (better if the insurance paid for it though). I know a guy in Europe who had it even worse than SW, and he was off work for about 6 months because it was so bad. I don't know if the shot is available here in JP, but I need to look into it. I don't want to see her suffer like that again, so if it isn't I think I'll have her ask our doc when we go back to the states for home leave.

Rich - if you've had shingles once, do you know if (in general) are you at greater, lesser, or the same risk of having it again later?

R

Rambler, yes you can get shingles again, and the immunization is useful even when you have had shingles in the past. I am not aware of evidence that a prior episode places you at risk for recurrent episodes but in my experience I would say yes.

Nords, this issue is that while a strategy of "younger" immunizations is logical, it has not been studied well for safety and efficacy. Also, the risk of shingles is lower in the under 60 crowd altogether so there is less benefit in younger populations as a whole. So, it may be logical and beneficial to take it earlier, but an honest recommendation would be that we just don't know. OTOH, it would not surprise me to see the recommendation change in a few years to start at a younger age; for now that would be "off-label."

Back
Top Bottom