Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #21

had a colonoscopy at the same time with a endoscopy to diagnose a lemon sized growth. It turned out to be a ruptured appendix. endoscopy was tough since I was gagging trying to to swallow a tube - I didnt even know the colonoscopy was happening.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Anyway, I wanted to be awake, because the other thing they don't always do here is honestly tell you if there is a serious problem...if the doctor or nurse let out a "sigh", I wanted to hear it, so I would know if I needed to catch the next plane to the states to have it re-done.
hmmmm, seems to me, if you don't trust your medical professionals to tell you the truth, then you should get new ones.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
hmmmm, seems to me, if you don't trust your medical professionals to tell you the truth, then you should get new ones.
I don't worry so much about the "sigh"s as I do the "Whoops", the "What the heck is that?!?", and the "Hey, John, get the rest of the staff and come take a look at this!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Yeah, I know that, but they are pretty much all the same here, and I would have to get on a plane and fly 10-11 hours to get to the nearest one I could trust fully (I do trust my doc in the US...but I'm not there...). Now I am almost afraid to have anything done in the US because it will show up on my medical record, making it harder to get insurance...when I punch out in a couple years.

R
Old 04-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Yeah, I know that, but they are pretty much all the same here, and I would have to get on a plane and fly 10-11 hours to get to the nearest one I could trust fully (I do trust my doc in the US...but I'm not there...). Now I am almost afraid to have anything done in the US because it will show up on my medical record, making it harder to get insurance...when I punch out in a couple years.

R
Sorry, I must have missed a chapter or two ... where are you?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I don't worry so much about the "sigh"s as I do the "Whoops", the "What the heck is that?!?", and the "Hey, John, get the rest of the staff and come take a look at this!"
Bill Cosby had a routine about a doctor saying: "Whoops!"

When I had dental work done at OSU, they did call the other students to come look in my mouth.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
When I was in the theater about to have knee surgery, I was chatting to the staff who were oo'ing and aaah'ing over some new equipment that was to be used to film the operation. The last words I heard before I blacked out were "I wonder what this does...."

b*st%rd - I bet they love messing with peoples minds like that
Old 04-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Bill Cosby had a routine about a doctor saying: "Whoops!"
It's good to know that someone still remembers the classics...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
I just had my physical and was told that I need to schedule a colonoscopy since I've reached the 50 milestone. My doctor mentioned it 3x during my visit - so it must be important.
My doc says the same thing. I turned 50 last November and when he sees me, he says..."well have you thought about your colonoscopy?" I swear I think it's a TX law that you have to have one done after 50.

My doc hasn't caught me yet.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Sorry, I must have missed a chapter or two ... where are you?
Very big, very expensive city in Asia...sorry I can't be more specific, in case Big Brother is watching...

R
Old 04-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Very big, very expensive city in Asia...sorry I can't be more specific, in case Big Brother is watching...

R
cool, np ... you can never be too careful ...

just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not after you
Old 05-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Just had my first one today. One very small polyp, too early to tell whether that will put me on the 5-year or 10-year club.

Was worried last night that I may have to cancel when the prep didn't start taking effect until about 3:00am (after the second part of the two-part process). But everything ultimately came out alright!

They gave me a drug called Profanol. It was a quick out and very quick recovering anesthetic. I felt I could have driven home if I had been allowed to.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
had a colonoscopy at the same time with a endoscopy to diagnose a lemon sized growth. It turned out to be a ruptured appendix. endoscopy was tough since I was gagging trying to to swallow a tube - I didnt even know the colonoscopy was happening.

Hmmm...I've had 3 endo's - have no memory except for them spraying my throat with anesthetic and being given IV meds; I was out like a light, woke up and didn't even realize it had been done.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Had one two years ago and thought the procedure itself was the easiest thing. The lady said "this will make you a little sleepy" and the next thing I knew she was shaking me awake. As someone who can't sleep half the time, I wanted to be left alone to sleep! I could have driven (felt like a million bucks) but the staff insisted that someone drive me (dh took off work and went with me). The prep is nasty but won't kill you so just go do it and get it over with.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
Just had my first one today. One very small polyp, too early to tell whether that will put me on the 5-year or 10-year club.
5-year club. Oh Well!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:00 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
5-year club. Oh Well!
yeah ... polyps = 5 year club ... welcome (I think) to the club
and bottoms up ... literally
Old 06-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Had my first colonoscopy yesterday, and it was a breeze! The prep was not fun, but definitely not as bad as I was expecting. The procedure itself was a non event for me. The nurse told me that she was going to turn on my IV and I might feel a little sting. I did in fact feel a sting in my hand, and I had about 30-45 seconds before I was out and the next thing I knew the nurse was awakening me in the recovery room.

No polyps or anything of concern, but I'm still on the 5-year plan because my mom died with colon cancer (age 93).
Old 06-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #38

I had my first colonoscopy at age 53 a few months ago, after plenty of procrastination. Mostly I was working and didn't want to take the time. They put me out (I woke up back home, though my DW says I "helped" dress myself and walked from the car by placing my hands all over her recently washed car), so the "experience" was not a problem. I've had much worse.

However, they did discover and remove 5 polyps. Two bengin, two pre-cancerous, and one they were worried about but didn't say outright it was cancerous. And I get to go back in just one year, even though they originally told me 3 years regardless of outcome.

So, certainly get it done after 50, as recommended!