Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Prediction: Time Person of the Year = Kaci Hickox
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
If Christy is going to isolate people who have been trying to save lives of people who have Ebola, a non airborne disease, then he should also isolate people who have the flu, an airborne disease. How many people have died of Ebola in the US and how many people die each year of the flu? Should we quarantine people who refuse to get the flu shot during flu season each year?
The Ebola issue has defaulted to the Governors level due to bungling by the CDC and a lack of clear direction from Washington. With pressure from a fearful and confused electorate I would probably do the same. Where's the Ebola Czar?
Old 10-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I'm sorry but she sure seems to have an attitude. Why don't these medical "professionals" have the common sense to isolate themselves. The New York doctor that was out to a restaurant and bowling before he suddenly came down with ebola. This nurse out bike riding and talking to reporters. I just saw on the news where she was bike riding with her boyfriend with a police car following them. She told some reporters that she wanted to go to her favorite pizza shop. The pizza shop was fielding phone calls from customers that didn't want to come to that shop if she had been there. Is she arrogant or someone wanting their 15 minutes of fame or stupid?
I heard something on CBNC this morning saying it was okay to stop you from buying a "Big Gulp" in NYC but you can't be put in isolation as a precaution against spreading ebola.
Maybe it's their employment of REAL sense instead that makes them aware that there's NO reason that they should be isolated.

The Doctor didn't suddenly come down with ebola. The disease developed in him exactly the way it always does and when it did, he sought treatment. Until he became symptomatic, he was no risk to anyone else.

The confusion seems to be the difference between factual reality and fantasy fear.

Does it make sense that bald men be isolated to prevent women from losing their hair?
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Prediction: Time Person of the Year = Kaci Hickox
They do loves them a media whore, so it would not be much of a shock.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Work in the Field | MSF USA

To apply:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg requirements.jpg (39.3 KB, 19 views)
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Another physician in self-imposed quarantine:
Stanford doctor in Ebola quarantine in Bay Area - SFGate
has a different attitude.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
The "difference" is that the doctor decided to isolate himself, and the reasons are his own.

In the case of Hickox, an arbitrary, unfounded confinement was imposed on her for no legitimate reason.

Worse than that, she was confined because of a politician pandering to the fear and ignorance of the public.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Good story. And he seems very understanding of Hickox (who didn't get to go straight home and whose quarantine in Maine is more restrictive than Bucks' is in California--he is officially allowed to go for walks and runs in his neighborhood although he chooses not to, while she is not supposed to step outside her door for any reason):

Quote:
...he said he understood the nurse’s frustration at being penned up upon her return.

“I’m very sympathetic to what she’s experienced. I think she was probably anxious to begin her isolation and have it be a restful time,” Bucks said. “I don’t want to put words in her mouth, but I understand what it means to work really, really hard and get back into the country. Everyone has their own process for re-establishing normalcy and getting their feet underneath them.”
Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Haven't heard about this doctor. To me he's acting responsibly versus the nurse in Maine. Though I'd rather spend isolation in a tent than in my home. Easier and less costly to get rid of the tent than my furniture.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I'll just note that she is a nurse and epidemiologist who tested negative for ebola multiple times, was and is asymptomatic, including no fever when measured by competent persons, and is not contagious. She does have some experience with the proper care and handling of this disease.

On the other hand, she is not a politician running for office, or worried about being painted as 'soft on ebola.'

Still, her experience with an airport holding cell/interview room and at Camp Christie may perhaps have disturbed her, even though the treatment was nothing as extreme as what some of our informed citizens out on the Internet have recommended.

Let's just roll with majority rule for disease control and management. All one need do is avoid the miasma... That'll work.

Quote:
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I'll just note that she is a nurse and epidemiologist who tested negative for ebola multiple times, was and is asymptomatic, including no fever when measured by competent persons, and is not contagious. She does have some experience with the proper care and handling of this disease.

On the other hand, she is not a politician running for office, or worried about being painted as 'soft on ebola.'

Still, her experience with an airport holding cell/interview room and at Camp Christie may perhaps have disturbed her, even though the treatment was nothing as extreme as what some of our informed citizens out on the Internet have recommended.

Let's just roll with majority rule for disease control and management. All one need do is avoid the miasma... That'll work.

Wow!

That was nicely said.
I really appreciate that Asimov quote too.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I believe voluntary means "of one's own free will". However she does seem a little arrogant too me.

Perhaps her actions will cause officials to swap in "mandatory" for "voluntary".
Old 10-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Right, just because the population does not believe the assurances of a few self-nominated experts means that we all want to break open the craniums of university professors and feast on the goo within. Please.

- George Orwell

Old 10-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #35

First off, I think the probability is she is negative. However, I find her actions totally irresponsible. It is not good enough to say 'she is a professional and she has not tested positive' The doctor in NYC was also a professional, did not test positive, until he did. The nurse that flew to Chicago also did not test positive until she did. In fact, patient zero in Dallas did not test positive, well until he did. Military personnel, who have not treated patients, ok to quarantine, nurses, No. Personally that makes no since to me.

I have no clue what the law says about the governments ability to legally quarantine someone. However, I seem to remember people being quarantined in the past for suspected diseases, although I don't remember specifics. I do feel politics enter into this on both sides, and I think it is evidence in some of the post here. In fact I am surprised the pig has not made an appearance. Bottom line is we elect public officials to make the hard decisions. Then one side of the other criticizes them when they do.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
The Ebola issue has defaulted to the Governors level due to bungling by the CDC and a lack of clear direction from Washington. With pressure from a fearful and confused electorate I would probably do the same. Where's the Ebola Czar?
Actually the Constitution puts the primary responsibility for public health with the states, not the federal government. All the feds can do is regulate interstate and international travel, the rest is reserved to the states by the 10th amendment. Quarantines have always been a state/local matter not a federal issue. The CDC can and does advise the states, but the states can reject the advice. The CDC's advice is clear but states have chosen to reject it.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
First off, I think the probability is she is negative. However, I find her actions totally irresponsible. It is not good enough to say 'she is a professional and she has not tested positive' The doctor in NYC was also a professional, did not test positive, until he did. The nurse that flew to Chicago also did not test positive until she did.

I have no clue what the law says about the governments ability to legally quarantine someone. However, I seem to remember people being quarantined in the past for suspected diseases, although I don't remember specifics. I do feel politics enter into this on both sides, and I think it is evidence in some of the post here. In fact I am surprised the pig has not made an appearance. Bottom line is we elect public officials to make the hard decisions. Then one side of the other criticizes them when they do.
Sometime in the mid to late 40s I had Scarlet fever, which is just an infection with one of several sub-types of streptococcus. I had a sore throat, and a rash. At that time, after the discovery of sulfonamides and penicillin, but before these drugs were released to the civilian population, there were no available effective treatments. Scarlet fever could progress into rheumatic fever which was a major bummer. I believe it could also destroy heart valves or cause a later kidney disease even if one did not progress to rheumatic fever. At least where I lived, children with this condition were quarantined until they were better. I remember that i got some toys from another child who had recovered from it, and when I was better I was supposed to either pass on my toys or destroy them. I have no idea how realistic this was.

But I am very sure that people did not flout the quarantine order. For one thing, that red rash was a dead giveaway, for another you felt like crap so staying in bed seemed like an OK deal.

Public health officials are no more honest with the population than other officials. It surprises me that so many members, normally very suspicious and skeptical about everything, are sure enough about the exact parameters of Ebola that that they heap scorn on members who are not so absolutely sure.

Ha
Old 10-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Well what do you know: Ha and I have more in common than I thought. I had scarlet fever as a kid as well. I have never been sicker, not even when I had mono for a month in college. I wonder how common scarlet fever is?

- George Orwell

Old 10-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Hahaha... Did we have the same Constitution in the 30s?

- George Orwell

Old 10-31-2014, 12:31 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post

+100
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote