Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Maybe the Lincoln bedroom in the White House?
like how you think

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds reasonable to me.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Wait, she has to continue to do the things she is already doing? That Kaci, such a wild one.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #64

That is a much more sensible way to maintain public order then the tent in New Jersey they put her in at first. Maybe if they would have done this first, she wouldn't have been so offended and she wouldn't be acting out so much.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:56 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I suspect a lucrative motive.
My prediction: milking her 15 minutes of fame for a Senate run.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #66

Is it me?

It seems that those who support her for "not obeying the government" are the usually proponents of "big government" and those who are against her are usually those who think government should mind their own business.

Seems upside down to me.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
First off, I think the probability is she is negative. However, I find her actions totally irresponsible. It is not good enough to say 'she is a professional and she has not tested positive' The doctor in NYC was also a professional, did not test positive, until he did. The nurse that flew to Chicago also did not test positive until she did. In fact, patient zero in Dallas did not test positive, well until he did.
These are all great points but you need to complete the story. No one has contracted Ebola as a result of contact with these people. That is because they were not infectious during the time they were in public. The most dramatic example is the people who lived with the man in Dallas who died. None of them contracted Ebola.

The only people in Dallas that contracted the disease were the nurses who treated him when he was symptomatic. Temperature monitoring is an effective measure to determine if someone at risk has the disease before they are capable of infecting others. The public policy should reflect this.

Promulgating fear can lead to harm too. Just look at the results due to people afraid of vaccinations.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:39 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Is it me?

It seems that those who support her for "not obeying the government" are the usually proponents of "big government" and those who are against her are usually those who think government should mind their own business.

Seems upside down to me.
Good observation. For a possible interpretation, look at it from the perspective of 'fear'. Personality types prone to fearfulness are afraid of many things, like Big government, Ebola, whatever. Personalities not prone to fear (for whatever reason, naivete, etc.) are prone to not fear big government, ebola, whatever. Just a thought
Old 10-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #69

Ebola on our shores is new and frightening for most people. The public and also the CDC are trying to understand more about it and also get a grip safe containment of how the disease spread. It takes time. I think the nurse in question should be sensitive to people's fears no matter how far-fetched....the abundance of caution thing. I'm sure she would not want some small business near her home to go under if she visited and dined there or tried on clothes there.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The judge's ruling, IMHO, struck a fair balance between science, human rights and public hysteria. I think Ms. Hickox should now shut up and enjoy the Maine fall foliage.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:02 PM   #71

It seems like the article has been updated.

Quote:
Judge Charles LaVerdiere initially put out a temporary order imposing some restrictions on Hickox. But on Friday, he issued a new order saying she should only continue daily monitoring and coordinate travel with state officials. But, because she's not showing symptoms, the judge said she's not infectious -- and would not approve the limits on her movements sought by Maine health officials.
No requirement of 3-ft distance or avoiding public places.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:09 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

If you owned a restaurant and she were to walk into your restaurant would you serve her or turn her away? I'm not sure there is a right answer but as a business owner I would be concerned. If you serve her, other customers may avoid your restaurant, if you don't then it is likely she would sue you.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:09 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

At the risk of inciting even more hysteria & panic...
Are they going to quarantine every one of the healthcare workers who are now caring for Ebola patient Dr.Spencer in NYC? Are they allowed out of the hospital? Can they use public transit? Can they eat in a restaurant, or go bowling? Does their quarantine begin immediately after being involved in Ebola-patient-care, or some x-days later? Something to think about as we go forward in our panic response & the likelihood of more Ebola diseases spread.

Personally, I don't think this Kaci-quarantine is very well thought out & like so much response in this era is poll/politically driven, along with mass hysteria. I laud Kaci for trying to shine a light in the darkness.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If you owned a restaurant and she were to walk into your restaurant would you serve her or turn her away? I'm not sure there is a right answer but as a business owner I would be concerned. If you serve her, other customers may avoid your restaurant, if you don't then it is likely she would sue you.
I wouldn't have problems serving her -- I believe the science (even though I tend to be very cynical and skeptical). However, I don't think she would win a lawsuit over not being served. She is not under any of the protected classes for discrimination.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is it me?

Seems upside down to me.
I have strong libertarian tendency and voted for Gary Johnson last election (more as a protest). That said I don't think all Govt agency are evil or incompetent. I trust expert more than I do the masses to make data based decision. This isn't a case where the experts are divided. There are virtually no doctors or scientist that disagree with CDC assessment of how Ebola is transmitted.

I have been watching the CDC response to Ebola crisis since the spring and they have done a hell of lot more right than wrong. Including sending a large portion of their staff to West Africa to try and control the outbreak and they have been sounding the alarm that more need to be done since the beginning of summer. A call which fell on deaf ears around the world.

Objectively the only thing the CDC did that was outright wrong was issuing guideline for protective clothing that left neck skin exposed. Everything else was judgement calls which caused unnecessary fear.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:33 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I wouldn't have problems serving her -- I believe the science (even though I tend to be very cynical and skeptical). However, I don't think she would win a lawsuit over not being served. She is not under any of the protected classes for discrimination.
'cynical and skeptical' is at the heart of the peer review process, and is what makes science so reliable.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:40 PM   #77

Quote:
Is it me?

Seems upside down to me.

Maybe because Ebola is so disgusting Left or right-wing? Brain's disgust response tells all - health - 30 October 2014 - New Scientist

"The way your brain reacts to a single disgusting image can be used to predict whether you lean to the left or the right politically."
Old 10-31-2014, 02:53 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=clifp;1510901That said I don't think all Govt agency are evil or incompetent. [/QUOTE]

Did you hear that they removed the word "gullible" from the dictionary?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:17 PM   #79

Quote:
Is it me?

Seems upside down to me.
A tale of two Spock's on Ebola.

Big Government Spock: " The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many".

Small Government Spock: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one".

Upside down indeed.

Live long and prosper!
Old 10-31-2014, 03:48 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post

....snip agree .......

Objectively the only thing the CDC did that was outright wrong was issuing guideline for protective clothing that left neck skin exposed. Everything else was judgement calls which caused unnecessary fear.
That was the big error, they lost the publics trust. You can do 1000 right things, mess up on one and you've lost credibility. You have to do 10000 things right now to regain that trust. Too bad, I think thats how many folks are wired.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app