Join Early Retirement Today

Kaci Hickox must have had her sponsors lined up in advance
Old 10-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kaci Hickox must have had her sponsors lined up in advance

Overnight she came up with a well known civil rights attorney. She has had no apparent fear at defying the governor of her state. This could potentially be difficult, dangerous and expensive. Government officials don't like to be defied.

If she wanted a little one on one with her boyfriend, why not invite him over and stay in? But she goes bike riding, followed by a police car. How much fun is that?

She may win, maybe she should win, but she is annoying as all get out and I doubt it is all her doing.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm glad she is sticking her neck out to protect MY rights.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Overnight she came up with a well known civil rights attorney. She has had no apparent fear at defying the governor of her state. This could potentially be difficult, dangerous and expensive. Government officials don't like to be defied.

If she wanted a little one on one with her boyfriend, why not invite him over and stay in? But she goes bike riding, followed by a police car. How much fun is that?

She may win, maybe she should win, but she is annoying as all get out and I doubt it is all her doing.

Ha
Ha ! I think you nailed it !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone who volunteers to go to a Third Word country to treat a deadly disease in less than adequate conditions has already proven to me she has a pair of steel ones. Taking on a Governor who is on the wrong side of the Constitution and Science (IMHO) is a small undertaking after what she has already done.

She's invited over to dinner at my house tonight!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I was discussing over dinner tonight whether she might face civil liability for negligence if she inadvertently infects someone. Does she have a duty to keep her germs to herself if she might be infectious? I don't know of any case law on the matter, just idle curiosity.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #6

I'm sorry but she sure seems to have an attitude. Why don't these medical "professionals" have the common sense to isolate themselves. The New York doctor that was out to a restaurant and bowling before he suddenly came down with ebola. This nurse out bike riding and talking to reporters. I just saw on the news where she was bike riding with her boyfriend with a police car following them. She told some reporters that she wanted to go to her favorite pizza shop. The pizza shop was fielding phone calls from customers that didn't want to come to that shop if she had been there. Is she arrogant or someone wanting their 15 minutes of fame or stupid?
I heard something on CBNC this morning saying it was okay to stop you from buying a "Big Gulp" in NYC but you can't be put in isolation as a precaution against spreading ebola.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #7

I think she is a very brave women for forcing this issue.

Very scary when the powers that be start to confine people with no good reason other than unfounded fear and/or a political motivation.

This has the feel of something from a society from hundreds of years ago.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good for her, glad to see her fighting for our rights.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #9

I don't think she has sponsors. I suspect the lawyer is acting pro-bono. It's a pretty significant civil rights issue.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I was discussing over dinner tonight whether she might face civil liability for negligence if she inadvertently infects someone. Does she have a duty to keep her germs to herself if she might be infectious? I don't know of any case law on the matter, just idle curiosity.
I've wondered this too but in the context of non-vaccination of children.

Edit: I'm not equating the position of the Hickox with that of non-vaccinators in terms of their scientific support.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure who I like least....... her or their governor. I definitely don't like her attitude. I would think there should be some reasonable middle ground.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I think the lawyer contacted her to represent her. There were probably several lawyers that called her, so she had the luxury of picking and choosing.

The irony is What if this quarantine was in place for that doctor that went bowling?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I'm glad she is sticking her neck out to protect MY rights.

Me too. The Imperial presidency continues to get worse each administration, hardly matters which party. Lately it seems that this has migrated to Governors.

People don't have a right to be unafraid, to have the government protect them from all threats, especially ones based more on hysteria than rational scientific and medical knowledge.

In contrast Ms Hickox has a constitutional protected right 5th Amendment

Quote:
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
A governor's order is not due process, not even close. There is a reason we have 3 branches of government in this country, and when the executive branch plays judge, jury and executioner we lose some of our freedom as citizens.

Kaci deserves two medals in my book, one for her work with Doctors without borders in dangerous places, and second for standing up for OUR rights.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

When they let her out of the tent in NJ, her boyfriend said, "they picked the wrong redhead to mess with." Sounds like he was right.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #15

After the grueling work she must have done in Africa I would think a 21 day isolation in relative comfort would not be such a challenge. I suspect a lucrative motive.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
She's invited over to dinner at my house tonight!
If she come to my house, I would be loudly reminding her from the other side of a locked door that I live in a "make my day" state.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'd buy her dinner, give her a lei, and the kiss on the cheek that traditionally goes with giving the lei.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post

Me too. The Imperial presidency continues to get worse each administration, hardly matters which party. Lately it seems that this has migrated to Governors.

People don't have a right to be unafraid, to have the government protect them from all threats, especially ones based more on hysteria than rational scientific and medical knowledge.

In contrast Ms Hickox has a constitutional protected right 5th Amendment

A governor's order is not due process, not even close. There is a reason we have 3 branches of government in this country, and when the executive branch plays judge, jury and executioner we lose some of our freedom as citizens.

Kaci deserves two medals in my book, one for her work with Doctors without borders in dangerous places, and second for standing up for OUR rights.
+1
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I'd buy her dinner, give her a lei, and the kiss on the cheek that traditionally goes with giving the lei.
Are you planning on ding so with all those who return from Ebolaland? After all, you keep telling us unwashed rednecks that there is no risk.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #20

If Christy is going to isolate people who have been trying to save lives of people who have Ebola, a non airborne disease, then he should also isolate people who have the flu, an airborne disease. How many people have died of Ebola in the US and how many people die each year of the flu? Should we quarantine people who refuse to get the flu shot during flu season each year?
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote