Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2014, 04:28 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Actually the Constitution puts the primary responsibility for public health with the states, not the federal government. All the feds can do is regulate interstate and international travel, the rest is reserved to the states by the 10th amendment. Quarantines have always been a state/local matter not a federal issue. The CDC can and does advise the states, but the states can reject the advice. The CDC's advice is clear but states have chosen to reject it.
Unconstitutional acts by the states can and should be stricken down by the Federal courts (we are a nation of laws correct?)

No time like that of fear when this is most important (although perhaps uncomfortable in the short term)

I believe that is what we are ultimately facing here.

-gauss

Quote:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. B. Franklin
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 05:26 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe we just need nicer places to quarantine people. Where she was being held sounded worse than a prison. Let's use one of the Disney parks, staffed by those who have no fear of the disease operating the attractions, hotels, and restaurants. Few folks would turn down a 3 week all expenses paid stay at one of those.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:45 AM   #43

Good to see her fighting for her 'rights', but if she defies a quarantine order and spreads Ebola to anyone, she should be prosecuted for attempted murder and face life in prison.

If she has been warned, and defies it, she is a danger to society. It is no different than an Aids patient spreading Aids. People have also been prosecuted for that. And civilly sued.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:46 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Maybe we just need nicer places to quarantine people.
Maybe the Lincoln bedroom in the White House?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:29 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

These so called health workers have a lot of nerve having a great time overseas working in Ebola stricken countries, risking their own lives to stop the epidemic, then coming back here and expecting to be treated with respect. It was a perfectly nice tent, for gosh sakes.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:38 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

If the CDC had more credibility then people would believe that Ebola cannot be transmitted by someone who is not showing symptoms, is not airborne, etc. The problem is that the CDC has had so many missteps lately and is calling audibles so people don't have confidence in them.

I don't see a problem with states requiring isolation for people who go abroad to help the cause as long as the people know it is part of the commitment when they sign up. Given the mortality rate and how quickly Ebola has spread elsewhere, I'd rather see us be too cautious than they to deal with an epidemic later.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:58 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If the CDC had more credibility then people would believe that Ebola cannot be transmitted by someone who is not showing symptoms, is not airborne, etc. The problem is that the CDC has had so many missteps lately and is calling audibles so people don't have confidence in them.
Even without missteps, I don't think there would be much difference in American opinion.

Quote:
I don't see a problem with states requiring isolation for people who go abroad to help the cause as long as the people know it is part of the commitment when they sign up. Given the mortality rate and how quickly Ebola has spread elsewhere, I'd rather see us be too cautious than they to deal with an epidemic later.

I think the big issue (besides civil liberties) is the impact it may have with the number of volunteers. Extra caution here probably means more deaths in Africa, a longer / larger outbreak, and higher likelihood that non-health workers (like Duncan) bring Ebola back. I'm far more worried about this latter case than an aid worker who will self monitor their temps.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:59 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Good to see her fighting for her 'rights', but if she defies a quarantine order and spreads Ebola to anyone, she should be prosecuted for attempted murder and face life in prison.

If she has been warned, and defies it, she is a danger to society. It is no different than an Aids patient spreading Aids. People have also been prosecuted for that. And civilly sued.
+1
I remember those that were prosecuted for giving others AIDS.

I don't like what she is doing or how she is doing it. It doesn't matter that "she" doesn't have symptoms. "Someone", some medical professional coming back after working with Ebola patients probably does or will. How do you pick and choose? You can't. Hence the blanket quarantine.

I ask myself the question: "Do I want to be in a room with someone who has worked with Ebola patients." My answer is No.

If she is going to defy the quarantine, she should at least be made/asked to wear a scarlet "E". (a little tongue in cheek I suppose).

She wants her civil liberty choices?? So do the rest of us. And I for one would like to know if I am anywhere near a person like this.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm not sure who I like least....... her or their governor. I definitely don't like her attitude. I would think there should be some reasonable middle ground.
+1. I can see both sides.

Polls seem to be overwhelmingly on the side of the Governors position (80% according to http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...a-quarantines/) so I have to assume he'd be getting a lot more grief if he went along with her!

And while I can understand her POV, despite being a nurse it's seems unlikely she has a better command of the science (her claim) than the entire medical establishment. The supposed experts haven't gotten it entirely right so far, and have evidently erred on the side of 'too little' several times already. For a medical professional, she's being reckless IMO, unlike the other known ebola cases in the USA who seemed to have chosen caution for public safety over "their rights." If I lived near her she wouldn't have to stay 3 feet away from me, because I'd stay as far away from her as possible...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #50

I was struck by her defiant bike ride. She rode her bike AWAY from town, the only people she saw were the press chasing after her. So far she has not exposed herself to the town, yet people still say she's awful, terrible, etc.

Look at her *actions*. She's been responsible.

As for her words - the legalities are probably on her side. There's no court order at this time. From what I've read for a quarantine to be enforced it needs more than an executive edict (Governor's office) - a court must review and determine if there is medical necessity. Until that court order happens, it's not legally binding. She's raising valid points. Probably out of anger at what happened in New Jersey.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Hahaha... Did we have the same Constitution in the 30s?
Except those people were actually sick. This nurse is not sick. how does one legally quarantine people that are not sick? Sort of a 'witch hunt' mentality going on here.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:24 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Interesting how many experts there are here...when the medical professionals don't even have all the answers.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Except those people were actually sick. This nurse is not sick. how does one legally quarantine people that are not sick? Sort of a 'witch hunt' mentality going on here.
She might not be displaying symptoms, but she may have the Ebola virus. You can't know one way or the other until 21 days have passed since she has been exposed to Ebola. It seems foolish to take a chance with such a dreadful disease.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #54

Quote:
Attempted murder would not apply in that there is no intent. The best science that we have says that she is healthy.

Quote:
I could meet you probably half way on this part. We all personally have to manage our risks.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #55
gone traveling

I can see both sides of this, seems like ACLU vs science with the media stirring the pot.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:52 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I was struck by her defiant bike ride. She rode her bike AWAY from town, the only people she saw were the press chasing after her. So far she has not exposed herself to the town, yet people still say she's awful, terrible, etc.

Look at her *actions*. She's been responsible.
Honestly, we probably need to quarantine these members of the press that were following her. They could have contracted it if she has the virus latent in her system and it's as transmissible as some fear.

As best as I can tell, that nurse hasn't acted irresponsibly. Has she visited restaurants and stores or taken public transit? Maybe she washes her hands frequently and is careful not to pick her nose or lick her fingers while in public.

The media is soooo sad that this Ebola thing hasn't taken off in the US. They are covering all the angles they can as diligently as possible (it gets the eyeballs).
Old 10-31-2014, 08:56 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

As far as I'm aware, she (1) isn't symptomatic, and (2) no one in the US has contracted ebola through casual contact. As far as the polls go, I want my medical procedures established by people who can't find New Mexico on the map...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:56 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The media is soooo sad that this Ebola thing hasn't taken off in the US. They are covering all the angles they can as diligently as possible (it gets the eyeballs).
It does seem like that. The 'media' are so desperate to be relevant, regardless of their POV.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

She is fighting on behalf of science and against people in power who want to frighten their own constituents.

You go girl!
Old 10-31-2014, 09:34 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Maine judge orders Ebola nurse to stay away from public gatherings, maintain 3-foot distance from people | Fox News

Quote:
Kaci Hickox, the nurse who insists she is Ebola-free after a stint in West Africa helping people suffering from the deadly disease, can probably continue to ride her bike and go outside, but movies, shopping and riding the bus are out under a court order issued Friday by a judge in Maine.
Hickox had said she will defy the state's effort to impose a 21-day quarantine on her, prompting state officials to go to district court, where Judge Charles LaVerdiere ruled Friday that the nurse must face some restrictions. But the judge's order bars her from using "long distance commercial conveyances or local public conveyances," forbids her from showing up at shopping centers or movie theaters and mandates she maintains a three-foot distance from others when outside.
"This decision has critical implications for {Hickox's} freedom, as guaranteed by the U.S. and Maine Constitutions, as well as the public's right to be protected from the potential severe harm posed by transmission of this devastating disease," LaVerdiere wrote in the two-page decision.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote