Kaci Hickox must have had her sponsors lined up in advance

Hahaha... Did we have the same Constitution in the 30s?

Except those people were actually sick. This nurse is not sick. how does one legally quarantine people that are not sick? Sort of a 'witch hunt' mentality going on here.

Interesting how many experts there are here...when the medical professionals don't even have all the answers.

Except those people were actually sick. This nurse is not sick. how does one legally quarantine people that are not sick? Sort of a 'witch hunt' mentality going on here.

She might not be displaying symptoms, but she may have the Ebola virus. You can't know one way or the other until 21 days have passed since she has been exposed to Ebola. It seems foolish to take a chance with such a dreadful disease.

Good to see her fighting for her 'rights', but if she defies a quarantine order and spreads Ebola to anyone, she should be prosecuted for attempted murder and face life in prison.

Attempted murder would not apply in that there is no intent. The best science that we have says that she is healthy.

If she has been warned, and defies it, she is a danger to society. It is no different than an Aids patient spreading Aids. People have also been prosecuted for that. And civilly sued.

I could meet you probably half way on this part. We all personally have to manage our risks.

-gauss

I can see both sides of this, seems like ACLU vs science with the media stirring the pot.

I was struck by her defiant bike ride. She rode her bike AWAY from town, the only people she saw were the press chasing after her. So far she has not exposed herself to the town, yet people still say she's awful, terrible, etc.

Look at her *actions*. She's been responsible.

Honestly, we probably need to quarantine these members of the press that were following her. They could have contracted it if she has the virus latent in her system and it's as transmissible as some fear. :D

As best as I can tell, that nurse hasn't acted irresponsibly. Has she visited restaurants and stores or taken public transit? Maybe she washes her hands frequently and is careful not to pick her nose or lick her fingers while in public.

The media is soooo sad that this Ebola thing hasn't taken off in the US. They are covering all the angles they can as diligently as possible (it gets the eyeballs).

As far as I'm aware, she (1) isn't symptomatic, and (2) no one in the US has contracted ebola through casual contact. As far as the polls go, I want my medical procedures established by people who can't find New Mexico on the map...

The media is soooo sad that this Ebola thing hasn't taken off in the US. They are covering all the angles they can as diligently as possible (it gets the eyeballs).

It does seem like that. The 'media' are so desperate to be relevant, regardless of their POV.

She is fighting on behalf of science and against people in power who want to frighten their own constituents.

You go girl!

Maine judge orders Ebola nurse to stay away from public gatherings, maintain 3-foot distance from people | Fox News

Kaci Hickox, the nurse who insists she is Ebola-free after a stint in West Africa helping people suffering from the deadly disease, can probably continue to ride her bike and go outside, but movies, shopping and riding the bus are out under a court order issued Friday by a judge in Maine.
Hickox had said she will defy the state's effort to impose a 21-day quarantine on her, prompting state officials to go to district court, where Judge Charles LaVerdiere ruled Friday that the nurse must face some restrictions. But the judge's order bars her from using "long distance commercial conveyances or local public conveyances," forbids her from showing up at shopping centers or movie theaters and mandates she maintains a three-foot distance from others when outside.
"This decision has critical implications for {Hickox's} freedom, as guaranteed by the U.S. and Maine Constitutions, as well as the public's right to be protected from the potential severe harm posed by transmission of this devastating disease," LaVerdiere wrote in the two-page decision.

Wait, she has to continue to do the things she is already doing? That Kaci, such a wild one.

Is it me?

It seems that those who support her for "not obeying the government" are the usually proponents of "big government" and those who are against her are usually those who think government should mind their own business.

Seems upside down to me.

First off, I think the probability is she is negative. However, I find her actions totally irresponsible. It is not good enough to say 'she is a professional and she has not tested positive' The doctor in NYC was also a professional, did not test positive, until he did. The nurse that flew to Chicago also did not test positive until she did. In fact, patient zero in Dallas did not test positive, well until he did.

These are all great points but you need to complete the story. No one has contracted Ebola as a result of contact with these people. That is because they were not infectious during the time they were in public. The most dramatic example is the people who lived with the man in Dallas who died. None of them contracted Ebola.

The only people in Dallas that contracted the disease were the nurses who treated him when he was symptomatic. Temperature monitoring is an effective measure to determine if someone at risk has the disease before they are capable of infecting others. The public policy should reflect this.

Promulgating fear can lead to harm too. Just look at the results due to people afraid of vaccinations.

Is it me?

It seems that those who support her for "not obeying the government" are the usually proponents of "big government" and those who are against her are usually those who think government should mind their own business.

Seems upside down to me.

Good observation. For a possible interpretation, look at it from the perspective of 'fear'. Personality types prone to fearfulness are afraid of many things, like Big government, Ebola, whatever. Personalities not prone to fear (for whatever reason, naivete, etc.) are prone to not fear big government, ebola, whatever. Just a thought :hide:

Ebola on our shores is new and frightening for most people. The public and also the CDC are trying to understand more about it and also get a grip safe containment of how the disease spread. It takes time. I think the nurse in question should be sensitive to people's fears no matter how far-fetched....the abundance of caution thing. I'm sure she would not want some small business near her home to go under if she visited and dined there or tried on clothes there.

The judge's ruling, IMHO, struck a fair balance between science, human rights and public hysteria. I think Ms. Hickox should now shut up and enjoy the Maine fall foliage.

It seems like the article has been updated.

Judge Charles LaVerdiere initially put out a temporary order imposing some restrictions on Hickox. But on Friday, he issued a new order saying she should only continue daily monitoring and coordinate travel with state officials. But, because she's not showing symptoms, the judge said she's not infectious -- and would not approve the limits on her movements sought by Maine health officials.

No requirement of 3-ft distance or avoiding public places.

If you owned a restaurant and she were to walk into your restaurant would you serve her or turn her away? I'm not sure there is a right answer but as a business owner I would be concerned. If you serve her, other customers may avoid your restaurant, if you don't then it is likely she would sue you.

At the risk of inciting even more hysteria & panic...
Are they going to quarantine every one of the healthcare workers who are now caring for Ebola patient Dr.Spencer in NYC? Are they allowed out of the hospital? Can they use public transit? Can they eat in a restaurant, or go bowling? Does their quarantine begin immediately after being involved in Ebola-patient-care, or some x-days later? Something to think about as we go forward in our panic response & the likelihood of more Ebola diseases spread.

Personally, I don't think this Kaci-quarantine is very well thought out & like so much response in this era is poll/politically driven, along with mass hysteria. I laud Kaci for trying to shine a light in the darkness.

Last edited:
If you owned a restaurant and she were to walk into your restaurant would you serve her or turn her away? I'm not sure there is a right answer but as a business owner I would be concerned. If you serve her, other customers may avoid your restaurant, if you don't then it is likely she would sue you.

I wouldn't have problems serving her -- I believe the science (even though I tend to be very cynical and skeptical). However, I don't think she would win a lawsuit over not being served. She is not under any of the protected classes for discrimination.

Is it me?

Seems upside down to me.

I have strong libertarian tendency and voted for Gary Johnson last election (more as a protest). That said I don't think all Govt agency are evil or incompetent. I trust expert more than I do the masses to make data based decision. This isn't a case where the experts are divided. There are virtually no doctors or scientist that disagree with CDC assessment of how Ebola is transmitted.

I have been watching the CDC response to Ebola crisis since the spring and they have done a hell of lot more right than wrong. Including sending a large portion of their staff to West Africa to try and control the outbreak and they have been sounding the alarm that more need to be done since the beginning of summer. A call which fell on deaf ears around the world.

Objectively the only thing the CDC did that was outright wrong was issuing guideline for protective clothing that left neck skin exposed. Everything else was judgement calls which caused unnecessary fear.

Back
Top Bottom