Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had it when I lived in California, and I loved it -- and miss it.

There are drawbacks. Appointments for routine care may take a little longer. You are limited in the facilities you can use (at least for non-emergencies). The care, in general, seemed a little more hurried and impersonal than it can be elsewhere.

But these pale in comparison to what I liked about Kaiser. First, no claim forms, no pay up front and wait to be reimbursed, none of it. Since we moved out of CA and lost the Kaiser plan, this has sometimes been a hassle. Second, if a Kaiser doctor feels something is medically necessary, it's covered. No preauthorizations from insurance bureaucrats counting beans rather than treating patients. My wife had maxillofacial surgery in 2000 -- often not covered and something many insurance bureaucracies would fight -- but she saw the Kaiser maxillofacial surgeon who looked at X-rays and said it was necessary (it was something like a $20,000 procedure). And that's all it took -- he says it's necessary, it's covered.

I'd jump at the chance to take it again if they were in TX and there were facilities reasonably close by. Having said all that, I haven't had Kaiser since 2003, so I don't know if they've declined since then.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every health care orginization has it's isues, there is no heaven on earth. We now live in a 'upscale' community served by a non-HMO clinic affiliated with a major hospital. We have had a lot of turnover of internists, husband gets very frustated. The younger ones are very good and the older ones are.... well, just our kind of physicians. We hate to see any of them leave. The reality is that they are having a tough time finding a balance in their professional lives.

Life is not for the meek, HMO or not, for physicians or patients.