Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Loose wording besides, I could not believe they had these "cliffs" in the subsidy schedules. When it comes to numbers, income brackets, and charts, it should be clear as black and white what they represent. I do not believe these booboos were intentional, do you? They had to be a terrible oversight.

The above said, had the SCOTUS ruled the other way on this decision, that would make it a bigger mess.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I was waiting with a good bit of trepidation for this ruling, and did breathe quite a sigh of relief this morning when reading the live results on SCOTUS blog. Yes, DW and I are on subsidy plans, and that does help out with our ER finances. But as a cancer survivor, I faced the very real possibility of returning to denial of insurance for pre-existing conditions in the case of insurance industry upheaval that could have eventually resulted had the decision gone the other way.

Forgoing the subsidy--and I really look at that as no different than reducing taxes by Roth conversions--if it alone were unavailable is one thing, and that could have been coped with in some fashion. But the specter of being unable to obtain insurance at any price was something I hope to never encounter again. Not having that sword hanging over my head any longer is priceless to me.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
I was waiting with a good bit of trepidation for this ruling, and did breathe quite a sigh of relief this morning when reading the live results on SCOTUS blog. Yes, DW and I are on subsidy plans, and that does help out with our ER finances. But as a cancer survivor, I faced the very real possibility of returning to denial of insurance for pre-existing conditions in the case of insurance industry upheaval that could have eventually resulted had the decision gone the other way.
This decision had nothing to do with pre-existing condition exclusions or medical underwriting per se; just whether or not the subsidies could be received in states that use the federal marketplaces.

Though the reality could have been that markets would be distorted in the states with no subsidy, it would be a lot cheaper to eat the penalty, and you might start seeing adverse selection creep into the markets creating significantly higher premium costs.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 06-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

The ACA was the keystone to my ER. Without it, with a pre-existing condition and being in my early (now mid) 50s, I would have had real difficulty finding health insurance at all, let alone affordable health insurance.

Ahhhhh. (That's a sigh of relief, not a prelude to a cussword!)
Old 06-25-2015, 05:03 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Loose wording besides, I could not believe they had these "cliffs" in the subsidy schedules. When it comes to numbers, income brackets, and charts, it should be clear as black and white what they represent. I do not believe these booboos were intentional, do you? They had to be a terrible oversight.
I believe Jonathon Gruber, a prime architect of the ACA was caught on video claiming the wording was no accident. It was a threat/incentive to motivate the states to create individual exchanges and participate in this part of the ACA. The Federal Exchange came about when a majority of states declined/failed to do so.

I happy with today's ruling, makes my life and ER going forward to age 65 much easier.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
The ACA was the keystone to my ER. Without it, with a pre-existing condition and being in my early (now mid) 50s, I would have had real difficulty finding health insurance at all, let alone affordable health insurance.

Ahhhhh. (That's a sigh of relief, not a prelude to a cussword!)
Similar here. Without the ACA, I would have been faced with some lousy choices: Go without HI, buy a policy which would have left me vastly underinsured (which I was for 2 1/2 years prior to 1/1/2014), or remain with my skyrocketing individual HI policy whose premiums had grown by nearly 50% in 2 years, putting a small but growing strain on my budget.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 06-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Similar here. Without the ACA, I would have been faced with some lousy choices: Go without HI, buy a policy which would have left me vastly underinsured (which I was for 2 1/2 years prior to 1/1/2014), or remain with my skyrocketing individual HI policy whose premiums had grown by nearly 50% in 2 years, putting a small but growing strain on my budget.
I do not think that the premium growth has stopped...

I just checked and my policy this year is 24% higher than last with a worse policy...

They have already hinted at a 20% plus rate increase for next year...

The good news is that I am going to be getting my subsidy when I file my tax return... I had decided not to apply for one since I still do work if they find me a good temp job that is close to me.... so far this year all the ones offered have been long commutes...
Old 06-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

I just checked and my policy this year is 24% higher than last with a worse policy...

The good news is that I am going to be getting my subsidy when I file my tax return... I had decided not to apply for one since I still do work if they find me a good temp job that is close to me.... so far this year all the ones offered have been long commutes...

My policy has strongly hinted 20% increase next year also. However going off memory a competing company (Anthem) was about $30 higher so I just took the cheap one. Anthem has reported their increases will be under 10% next year. So I think the big increase in mine was just aggressive price undercutting and realized they went too far. I know the bottom line is I will pay more but it sounds better that it is not true medical inflation just a hopeful one year pricing mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am happy as now it does not matter which state we choose when we move back Stateside, although Plan B (Staying in Peru for 5-7 years more) is certainly looking good ( with the rising Dollar). Loved how they kidded around about changing the name to SCOTUScare!
Old 06-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
My policy has strongly hinted 20% increase next year also. However going off memory a competing company (Anthem) was about $30 higher so I just took the cheap one. Anthem has reported their increases will be under 10% next year. So I think the big increase in mine was just aggressive price undercutting and realized they went too far. I know the bottom line is I will pay more but it sounds better that it is not true medical inflation just a hopeful one year pricing mistake.

I have BCBS.... they were cheaper than the other options, but also not as good network.. I think they are going to be about the same as others now, so I might have a choice in what I buy... however, I will be closing in on $1,000 per month for a bronze plan with HIGH deductible... last year I was in the low $600s
Old 06-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have BCBS.... they were cheaper than the other options, but also not as good network.. I think they are going to be about the same as others now, so I might have a choice in what I buy... however, I will be closing in on $1,000 per month for a bronze plan with HIGH deductible... last year I was in the low $600s

Texas, please tell me this a premium cost for two people!

Old 06-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Texas, please tell me this a premium cost for two people!

Actually 4... two adults and two kids...
Old 06-25-2015, 10:52 PM   #33

For me this is a huge relief. It means the ACA won't be gutted by a "death spiral" of people dropping insurance due to lack of affordability. It means preserving the ACA with all it's common sense benefits for preventive care. It means not losing your health insurance if you start a small business instead of working for Megacorp. It means not getting dropped from insurance when you actually get sick and need health care, which was something I thought was horrible and nonsensical about our profit hungry insurance industry. It means young women who are pregnant can be covered under their parents' insurance and get better prenatal care, which may be one of the factors in the reduced rate of preterm deliveries we are seeing.

The ACA was one of the reasons I could RE without worry that I wouldn't find health insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-25-2015, 11:37 PM   #34

Quote:

Before the ACA, trying to buy an affordable individual HI policy here in New York was impossible. I had used ehealthinsurance to find my first policy in 2009. That's the one whose premiums rose nearly 50% in 2 years. It was either that or the policy which left me vastly underinsured. Let's say there was no ACA and I stayed with that policy instead of dropping it in early 2011 when I was paying nearly $700 per month (1 person, me). If the premiums rose only 7% per year over the next 4 years, bringing me to this year. I'd be paying about $900 per month (again, for ONE person only).

This makes the ACA a bargain even without any subsidies. Anthem had filed for a 14% increase this year but the NY Insurance Dept. cut it back to about 7%. They are filing for another 14% for 2016 but who knows if the NYID will cut that back, too. But, unlike the days before the ACA, I have lots more choices now than I had in 2011. I can change the type (i.e. metal) of my plan from Silver to Bronze. There are many more companies selling insurance now than there were in 2011 I can switch to.

The ACA has been a godsend for me, making insurance affordable without being underinsured.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 06-26-2015, 06:54 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

It would be nice if the thread title had something about ACA subsidies and the supreme court decision. I don't think that many people really know it as King v Burwell.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:58 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I was thinking the same thing. Or at least add "on ACA subsidies" to the title.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
It would be nice if the thread title had something about ACA subsidies and the supreme court decision. I don't think that many people really know it as King v Burwell.

Yep, I know Elvis is the King, but who is this Burwell fellow?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Think what you want about the merits of Scalia's dissent, but I think there is no argument that it makes for an entertaining read.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Old 06-26-2015, 07:31 AM   #39

I am not on Obamacare nor is my DW, but have a DD that I am covering under a BCBS Gold plan without subsidy due to health issues and her not being able to work (will not go for medicaid even if she qualified). I am surprised at how costly this plan is for a 23 yo and it makes me wonder for those that receive a subsidy how long it will be before their subsidy is consumed by yearly policy price increases?
Old 06-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #40

I believe the subsidy is based on capping premiums as a percentage of income so yearly price increases can't consume it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app