Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,403
From Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - - that's all."
__________________

__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Lots of people have been charged with crimes or sued for things that judges have acknowledged weren't the intention of the laws and the judge says "Im sorry my hands are tied".

How about someone who gets life in prison for a drug charge and then 2 months later the penalty for the same charge is changed to a max of 2 yrs? The lawyer files for an appeal or a hearing before a judge to lesson the sentence and the judge says "I agree your clients sentence is excessive but that was the law at the time. My hands are tied". There are all kinds of injustices like this in our country, but this time the Supreme Court searched high and wide to find to find a way to interpret the law the way they wanted to fit their predetermined outcome. That's my opinion, although like I said I agree with the result.
Those are all matters involving little people without money. Of course they get screwed over; they cannot buy politicians.
__________________

__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
but this time the Supreme Court searched high and wide to find to find a way to interpret the law the way they wanted to fit their predetermined outcome.
I don't think they had to search much at all. In a thread earlier this year, I posted why I thought the plaintiffs case was weak and had no standing.

Supreme Court to hear arguments tomorrow on ACA Subsidy

Roberts agreed with me and quoted the same parts in his opinion ( from pg 10 of the opinion )

By using the phrase “such Exchange,” Section 18041
instructs the Secretary to establish and operate the same
Exchange that the State was directed to establish under
Section 18031. See Black’s Law Dictionary 1661 (10th ed.
2014) (defining “such” as “That or those; having just been
mentioned”). In other words, State Exchanges and Federal
Exchanges are equivalent—they must meet the same
requirements, perform the same functions, and serve the
same purposes. Although State and Federal Exchanges
are established by different sovereigns, Sections 18031
and 18041 do not suggest that they differ in any meaningful
way. A Federal Exchange therefore counts as “an
Exchange” under Section 36B.
__________________
rbmrtn is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 01:30 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I think you can still qualify if your employer coverage isn't "affordable" (exceeds 9.5% of agi) and you are under the 400% fpl
True, but this drives me crazy. DS was working for a temp agency that did not offer health insurance so he had a HDHI ACA policy that he paid ~$35/month after a $115/month subsidy based on his income.

The company he was doing work for offered to put him on payroll (actually pretty much insisted). Their plan, which is somewhat better than the HDHI ACA plan DS has, is $35/WEEK and is still "affordable" so he'll no longer qualify for the ACA plan and loses the $115/month subsidy.

It seems odd that ACA pushes employed people with the same income into very different health insurance cost situations simply based on whether or not the employer offers health insurance.

So while his risk of getting laid off is lower since the company lays off temp people first when work slows down, he is paying more for health insurance (albeit a better plan but he gets little benefit from it since he is healthy).
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Are they still all there? I thought some got voted out.
I believe that people that have been voted out are no longer executed on departure. Therefore, they would be available to testify in a court room.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I believe that people that have been voted out are no longer executed on departure. Therefore, they would be available to testify in a court room.
A damn shame. Although I would happily agree to a mandatory jail sentence in a Pound Me In The Umm... Federal Penitentiary that ran concurrent with time in office for Congress, the Supreme Court and the President down through the cabinet.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,403
Calling all 435 of them before the court? It takes a while, and they will be fighting this all over again.

And I doubt if any of them in Congress, whether they voted Yay or Nay, bothered to read the entire 2,400 pages of the act. Better to ask their aides who actually worked on this on their laptops. Or maybe the interns?
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now  
Old 06-26-2015, 04:39 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Calling all 435 of them before the court? It takes a while, and they will be fighting this all over again.

And I doubt if any of them in Congress, whether they voted Yay or Nay, bothered to read the entire 2,400 pages of the act. Better to ask their aides who actually worked on this on their laptops. Or maybe the interns?
Good point. I think that is why lobbyists do the actual writing of most bills these days.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 4,094
"When the Affordable Care Act was conceived and drafted, did its creators mean to withhold health care subsidies from people living in states that refused to set up their own exchanges?"
__________________


Here’s what Obamacare’s authors said they actually meant - The Washington Post
__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 04:45 PM   #70
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,430
How about a snippet or short summary for the link...
__________________
MichaelB is online now  
Old 06-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 4,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
How about a snippet or short summary for the link...
sorry - I edited the post above - the article is somewhat long
__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,268
Basically it says that the authors worded it that way to incentivize states to set up their own exchanges but didnt want low income people excluded from getting a subsidy. If you think about it that makes no sense. The authors were basically bluffing. They said to the states..."If you dont set up an exchange, your low income people wont get a subsidy....but we dont want any low income people excluded for getting a subsidy". Bluffing doesnt work if you aren't willing to be called on your bluff which is what happened.
__________________
utrecht is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #73
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
sorry - I edited the post above - the article is somewhat long
Thanks.

It's a good thing there's no longer any need to continue trying to determine or debate what was intended when the ACA was drafted and passed into law. The US Supreme Court did that for us and the matter has been settled. Now we can move on to other things.
__________________
MichaelB is online now  
Old 06-26-2015, 05:39 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Introducing age into insurance pricing was, and still is, a way to exclude individuals from groups and keep costs artificially low.
If age is considered during the underwriting and policies priced accordingly, then the pricing and the costs are in line with the risk, not artificially low. I suppose it is "artificially low" if the beginning assumption is that the "group" should be priced to include risks of the general population of potential members.

It's a strange setup as we have it now in the exchanges. We are shifting costs off the old to the young. We are shifting costs off women to men. We are shifting costs off low income people to higher income people. The only place where something close to rough underwriting is allowed is tobacco use. But underwriting is not allowed for many other voluntary decisions and behaviors that increase health costs.

I think Justice Roberts is very concerned that the Supreme Court be popular. I think he wants he and the court to be viewed as "above the fray." I wish his priorities were different.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #75
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Thanks.

It's a good thing there's no longer any need to continue trying to determine or debate what was intended when the ACA was drafted and passed into law. The US Supreme Court did that for us and the matter has been settled. Now we can move on to other things.
Well, it settles at least that the ACA is current law.... but I doubt it settles if it will stay law... or what fixes will ever be made to fix the problems...

I do not want to side track this thread with a discussion on any merits either way... just saying, like abortion, having the SC make a decision does not always make a final decision on any matter....
__________________
Texas Proud is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
If age is considered during the underwriting and policies priced accordingly, then the pricing and the costs are in line with the risk, not artificially low. I suppose it is "artificially low" if the beginning assumption is that the "group" should be priced to include risks of the general population of potential members.

It's a strange setup as we have it now in the exchanges. We are shifting costs off the old to the young. We are shifting costs off women to men. We are shifting costs off low income people to higher income people. The only place where something close to rough underwriting is allowed is tobacco use. But underwriting is not allowed for many other voluntary decisions and behaviors that increase health costs.

I think Justice Roberts is very concerned that the Supreme Court be popular. I think he wants he and the court to be viewed as "above the fray." I wish his priorities were different.

I just want to chime in here on a group rating... since I handled it at my last job... note: we were a small firm of about 25 employees and IIRC 70 people covered...

They actually do underwriting... if you want to change from one insurance company to another they require the group to provide all information for them to price the product... if you had a group with all 20 something, the rate would be much less than one with everybody over 50 with chronic problems...

Even on renewal, they look at the prior years payout... we would get a fancy book about how many was in the group... the % of people that maxed out their deductible, how many were in each quartile etc. etc... lots of info on the costs they paid... and the rate for the next year reflected all that info...

Now, if you work for a big mega, they usually self insure so it is not an underwriten 'policy'...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Brat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,913
There would be no men if it weren't for women. Basically our society needs us all, parsing risk based on gender is not wise.
__________________
Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #78
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
There would be no men if it weren't for women. Basically our society needs us all, parsing risk based on gender is not wise.
And there would be no women if not for men. Hey, I'm a big fan of women.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #79
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 4,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Basically it says that the authors worded it that way to incentivize states to set up their own exchanges but didnt want low income people excluded from getting a subsidy. If you think about it that makes no sense. The authors were basically bluffing. They said to the states..."If you dont set up an exchange, your low income people wont get a subsidy....but we dont want any low income people excluded for getting a subsidy". Bluffing doesnt work if you aren't willing to be called on your blubyff which is what happened.
That's my take as well
__________________
Big_Hitter is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 4,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Thanks.

It's a good thing there's no longer any need to continue trying to determine or debate what was intended when the ACA was drafted and passed into law. The US Supreme Court did that for us and the matter has been settled. Now we can move on to other things.
Agreed. Let's get our guaranteed issue hi in er!
__________________

__________________
Big_Hitter is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax Question: Downsizing vs. ACA Subsidies daylatedollarshort Health and Early Retirement 7 02-20-2014 07:01 PM
Website for ACA Options, Premiums, and Subsidies jflynn4 Health and Early Retirement 7 11-11-2013 03:52 PM
Federal Exchange - ACA subsidies in jeopardy shotgunner Health and Early Retirement 13 10-25-2013 10:30 PM
Poll: Who's going to try to get ACA subsidies by staying under the threshold? explanade FIRE and Money 200 04-24-2013 07:46 PM
Healthcare ACA subsidies appear to depend on multi-year income pixelville FIRE and Money 21 03-14-2013 10:01 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:45 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.