Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Kitces on HC (both for FIRE and post-65)
Old 10-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Kitces on HC (both for FIRE and post-65)

All: Again, a privilege to be here.

The following Kitces analysis spoke to me and was persuasive: https://www.kitces.com/blog/vanguard...37158-57276529

I'm a new Kitces reader, and remain a HC planning novice, despite all the help here (for which I remain indebted).

Thoughts on the above?
WyomingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
gone traveling

I would expect that fewer people worry about healthcare once reaching Medicare age.

It's the early retirement crowd (ie, this site's audience) that should be worrying most. I read today that the Senate may decide to revisit the whole "repeal the ACA" depending on how the mid-terms go: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/17/mcco...re-repeal.html

So for the FIRE crowd, the future of healthcare is far less certain.

I do agree with Kitces that looking at future healthcare costs as a lump sum is silly, and makes it seem scarier that it need be. And I agree with his comments about the appeal of long term care insurance.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another great post from Kitces that's worth reading in its entirety. No scare tactics here, but a reasoned analysis of the expenses you're likely to face before & after medicare.

Medical expenses post-retirement are not paid in a one time lump-sum the day after you retire, but are an annual expense that's lower than other expenses that you already plan for like food & shelter. Duh! But that's exactly the kind of scary headlines we've been reading.

He makes a point to separate LTC expenses which can be non-existent (48% of people) or less than $100,000 (for another 25%) of people, but which can ruin a retirement nonetheless.

Kitces also takes into account studies that show that total expenses fall as one ages even while medical expenses increase.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #4

He makes and important point. Both the press and financial companies like Vanguard and Fidelity love to say medical costs will total $low-six-digits per person in retirement. For example, Fido says ~$280K/pp.

While true in an aggregate sense, no one looks at food/clothing/shelter as a lump sum cost in retirement. Yet for most those are much higher than medical. Then he points out if you are going to look at medical as lump sum, you should look at SS (and pensions IMO) as a lump sum too, worth $mid-six-digits for most.

This concept is important for people planning ER. If they look at health care as some monstrous lump sum rather than a routine recurring expense, they may work too long and waste time working. Time > money.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:59 AM   #5

What accounts for the over $5500 difference between the median case with Plan F and the worst case with Plan F? Is it the drug cost? Doesn't Plan F cover everything else?
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:56 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Another great post from Kitces that's worth reading in its entirety. No scare tactics here, but a reasoned analysis of the expenses you're likely to face before & after medicare.

Medical expenses post-retirement are not paid in a one time lump-sum the day after you retire, but are an annual expense that's lower than other expenses that you already plan for like food & shelter. Duh! But that's exactly the kind of scary headlines we've been reading.

He makes a point to separate LTC expenses which can be non-existent (48% of people) or less than $100,000 (for another 25%) of people, but which can ruin a retirement nonetheless.

Kitces also takes into account studies that show that total expenses fall as one ages even while medical expenses increase.
Very good article. Still I'd be a little cautious of the 48% of the people don't need long-term care. I suspect that the number of folks who could benefit from long-term care is much higher than 50%. The problem is either assisted living, in home health care, is so expensive that many people muddle by taking care of their parents, either by having them move in with them, or devoting many many hours to their care.

Since it is virtually universal opinion that parents don't want to be a "burden to their children". I think when planning health care cost in retirement that a couple years in a nursing home/or 40-80/hours a week of in-home health care should be in your plan
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote