Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Knee Replacements
Old 02-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
I think you would be nuts to do all three at the same time. You need all your rehab resources. Two knees at once is ok if you are in excellent physical shape and are committed to work on upper body strength before the surgery.

The critical issue is rehab. You loose the strength in your legs very quickly.
Often called "nuts", so that is not new.
Upper body strength is pretty good anyway, but the leg joints are the problem. Thus the question.
would the rehab to restrenghten the muscles aid or subtract from each other when both knees and hip are involved? Now when I "launch" myself from a chair, both the hip and the knees twinge and hurt. Didn't know if the simultanous surgery would have the same effect, or if the thigh muscle having to repair itself, for one, would be stretched by both at the same time, and if that would make a difference.
That's why I'm asking

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick
Often called "nuts", so that is not new.
Upper body strength is pretty good anyway, but the leg joints are the problem. Thus the question.
would the rehab to restrenghten the muscles aid or subtract from each other when both knees and hip are involved? Now when I "launch" myself from a chair, both the hip and the knees twinge and hurt. Didn't know if the simultanous surgery would have the same effect, or if the thigh muscle having to repair itself, for one, would be stretched by both at the same time, and if that would make a difference.
That's why I'm asking
OK, not sure if I understand your questions exactly, but I'll try to reply. When the knee is replaced, the quadricep muscle undergoes significant atrophy. With hip replacements, the hip abductor (gluteal region) muscle is significantly affected (assuming a posterior approach). All I can say is I surely wouldn't want to have to rehab TWO severely affected muscles in the same leg at the same time.

Now, even beyond the above, did you know that hip replacement patients have precautions - ie. can't bend their hip past 90 degrees, cross the leg past midline, or turn the leg inward? You have to learn to do all of your functional activities (in/out of bed, sit to stand, etc.) without breaking these hip precautions. This means you do these tasks in a different manner...and usually you are using the "good leg" to help you manage functionally. If it were me, having bilat knee replacements and a hip replacement at the same time would not be something I'd do. But that's just my opinion.

BTW, have you talked to a surgeon to see if it would even be considered? I'd be amazed if they agreed to it.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:40 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl
BTW, have you talked to a surgeon to see if it would even be considered? I'd be amazed if they agreed to it.
No, I try and get some understanding of what's going on before asking the doctors, so I have intelligent questions or at least myths to dispel. I wanted to collect some more thoughts before talking to the doctors.
I see your point about the different muscles. I had presumed that it was the same quadricep muscle, which is why I asked the question. I had heard some of that about the hip, but not all of that. Almost sounds like you wouldn't want to do it. Are all of the stories about people being glad that they did it, around knees and not hips?
Dratted hip hurts the worst though, and causes me more pain then the knees do, although they bring in their fare share as well. Darn bad genes anyway.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:58 AM   #24

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what causes these knee problems? Is this genetic caused by arthritis? Or excessive running/sports? How can I reduce the risk of this problem from occuring? Reading this thread kind of scared me. I think I am just a few years younger than CFB. I run about 10 miles per week on sidewalks.

Do most private health insurances cover physical therapy? I have only scanned potential plans in my health insurance research and I don't recall this being broken out, but I guess I figure it is covered.

Kramer
Old 02-26-2007, 05:16 AM   #25

Kramer.. I know what you mean..! Seems like 'everyone's doing it' these days. A male friend of ours who's not even 40 just got a hip replacement.

I don't remember growing up with that many immobilized elders.. maybe they just led more active lives? Or maybe they didn't run on pavement? Or both?

I think I did see something about increased instance of knee problems in women who have spent a lot of time wearing high heels. I stick to low-heeled shoes these days, dowdy tho' it may be...

I came across this, that might be useful to whitestick and others in researching the operation:
http://www.amazon.com/Total-Knee-Rep.../dp/0897934393

Momoftwo.. best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Old 02-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
I hope you don't mind me asking, but what causes these knee problems? Is this genetic caused by arthritis?
In my case that's what the doctor said, although, I think the injuries to the knees from playing basketball, when I was old enough to know better, didn't help. You'd think an old fool in his 40's would know better then to play street basketball with a bunch of 20 somethings. I learned that joints will only bend so far, before severely complaining and punishing you. Spent way too many weeks on crutches as a result of that game. That's been quite awhile ago, but seems like the winters remind me of that lesson learned.
Not sure if I can blame the time staring into the faces of the opposing teams on a football field for my hip, but I do remember that it always seemed to take two of them hitting me from different directions to bring me down, and unfortunately, they learned that lesson far to quickly. I remember limping off the field a number of times as a result of that.
I choose to blame it on bad genes giving me arthritis, but it may be a combination of all of the above.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #27

Quote:
I had heard some of that about the hip, but not all of that. Almost sounds like you wouldn't want to do it. Are all of the stories about people being glad that they did it, around knees and not hips?
Dratted hip hurts the worst though, and causes me more pain then the knees do, although they bring in their fare share as well. Darn bad genes anyway.
I actually have a friend who had to have both of his hips replaced at the age of 28 (avascular necrosis of hips - cause unknown). He is doing great! It's the initial rehab that is the toughest time, for both total knees and hips - say the first 6 to 8 weeks. And, interestingly enough, in my experience, more total knees are referred to outpatient physical therapy than total hips. So, perhaps total hip patients recover faster after their inpatient rehab and home therapy, and thus don't need outpt rehab as often? But this is just my experience - of course you'd want to discuss all of this with your orthopedic surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
Do most private health insurances cover physical therapy? I have only scanned potential plans in my health insurance research and I don't recall this being broken out, but I guess I figure it is covered.

Kramer

I would definitely check out your health plan for PT coverage. It's not something you often think about, but when you need it, you sure do realize how important the coverage is. Often you go for PT 2 to 3 times a week for 1 - 2 months or more depending on whatever your rehab needs are. That can add up to a significant amount of $$$$$$$$.

Also, as we age, our need for PT services often increases...something for us all to think about and prepare for when researching health insurance coverage.

Quote:
I choose to blame it on bad genes giving me arthritis, but it may be a combination of all of the above.
I think you are spot on with that one!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:25 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
I came across this, that might be useful to whitestick and others in researching the operation:
http://www.amazon.com/Total-Knee-Rep.../dp/0897934393
Sorry, forgot to acknowledge your link. I took your advice and ordered the book. Unfortunately, with a nod to the LBYM, it is too new, to find it used, yet. Appreciate the help
Old 02-28-2007, 04:20 AM   #29

With health care being the way it seems, it seems to fall on patients to do a lot of homework.. I have no experience with the book (yet; knock on wood).. but I hope it helps.

I'd look upon it as one of Martha's "value" purchases... If it saves you the cost/effort of one doctor's trip or one PT session or gives you even a 2% better result, you're ahead of the game even at full price.

Best wishes!