Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-26-2015, 07:38 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While napping sounds like a (delightful) cop-out, I wonder if that's how we were meant to live before the Industrial Revolution messed up our internal clocks with the 9-5 routine.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Agree with taking a nap......but.....you need to look at habits.....especially sugar.

Find something you love to do....take a class.....take a walk at a shopping mall...switch your snack to a small salad....or rice cakes.....BREAK YOUR HABIT.....I have the afternoon blahs.....I read a book.....watch a taped TV show.....walk my dog.....go to the bank.....go buy veggies.....anything but I gave up candy and sweets. My small salad with fat free dressing is about 150 calories of healthy food. I took off about 50 lbs and feel great but I still like to crash in the afternoon.....doing healthy fun stuff. Good luck....but if you change, commit to life long changes......never have an M&M again.....that's the only way it works for the long term. Good Luck! YOU CAN DO IT! And, look at your all day long eating habits.....go for veggies, complex carbs, lean meat......no sugar.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #23

This book uses your exact issue as an example in the book! And it has lots of other good stuff.

Small Move, Big Change: Using Microresolutions to Transform Your Life Permanently: Caroline L. Arnold: 9780143126164: Amazon.com: Books

Kindest regards.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #24

I'd say get a blood test and check for glucose and testosterone.

Do a sleep study, as although you indicate sleeping OK, you may not be getting enough deep restful sleep

Cut back on caffein, and fast digesting carbs (sugar)

Start an exercise program, drop some fat and add lean muscle
Old 05-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #25

I usually work out in late afternoon. It doesn't make sense that exercise can energize you but it wakes me up. That was true when I was employed, too.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
While napping sounds like a (delightful) cop-out, I wonder if that's how we were meant to live before the Industrial Revolution messed up our internal clocks with the 9-5 routine.
I wonder sometimes if my dog knows something we do not. He sleeps on and off all day long and seems pretty healthy.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Most men with a 17 inch neck and over 200 lbs. snore. And most snorers need to go through a sleep study to see if they have sleep apnea.

I know a gentleman that'd go to sleep sitting at a red light. After a couple of wrecks, he was grounded from driving. He had severe sleep apnea--essentially choking in his sleep

I was found to have moderate sleep apnea, and it is a mofst common condition. I sleep on a CPAP machine at night, and my afternoon "downs" are seldom experienced. I can also sleep less and feel so much better upon waking up.

The greatest thing about going on CPAP is that users will live longer--not choking while sleeping. And the risk of having to undergo open heart surgery decreases dramatically. And users feel so much better.
+1 Agree with everything above. Have you had a sleep study?
Old 05-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #28

Attributed to the President of The University of Chicago (Harper) is a wonderful quote that can be interpreted loosely to this situation: whenever I have the urge to exercise, I lie down till it goes away.

So as others have counseled: take a nap. ;-)
Old 05-26-2015, 01:29 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Let's see. You are retired, you get sleepy in the afternoon, hmm. Why don't you just take a nap, isn't that what retirement is all about, the freedom to nap at will?
Old 05-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #30

I agree - take a nap. I just woke up from one and now I'm ready to take on the afternoon.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I vote Nap if I'm at home.

Anywhere else, and I'd vote Go for a Short, Brisk Walk. When I got the afternoon blahs at work, a brisk stroll around the hallways, to the washroom or water fountain generally did the trick...and sometimes solutions to problems would pop into my head, an added bonus.

Anything but the peanut M&M's...eat those because they taste good, not to wake yourself up.

Amethyst
Old 05-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't forget to keep yourself well hydrated with water and only water. Soda, juice, powder drinks don't count.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I usually work out in late afternoon. It doesn't make sense that exercise can energize you but it wakes me up. That was true when I was employed, too.

+1 very low carbs for lunch. A big lunch always knocks me out around 2 if I go that way. Then workout at around 3. I feel energized after that.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
Don't forget to keep yourself well hydrated with water and only water. Soda, juice, powder drinks don't count.
Why? 12 oz of any of those things contain 99.5% water, so what's the difference?

From WebMD:

Quote:
Besides guzzling water, milk is a top choice to refuel. Sodas, even diet ones, get a bad rap for lacking nutritional value, but they can still be hydrating. Juices and sports drinks are also hydrating -- you can lower the sugar content by diluting them with water.

Coffee and tea also count in your tally. Many used to believe that they were dehydrating, but that myth has been debunked. The diuretic effect does not offset hydration.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Agreed. When I feel tired in the middle of the day, exercise usually does the trick. About 10% of the time I discover that I really needed a nap instead, but that's the exception.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I wondered the same thing, even though I don't drink soda or powdered drinks. Sure, some of them have SUGAR (dah dah dah DUMMMM) but not all of them...there are some wonderful flavored waters out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Why? 12 oz of any of those things contain 99.5% water, so what's the difference?

From WebMD:
Old 05-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I wondered the same thing, even though I don't drink soda or powdered drinks. Sure, some of them have SUGAR (dah dah dah DUMMMM) but not all of them...there are some wonderful flavored waters out there.
I tend to drink diet colas. No sugar, but a decent little jolt of caffeine. I think the water only is a religious thing, like no fat or no carbs or no mortgage. I do agree that staying hydrated is a good thing, though.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #38

Nothing like an afternoon amphetamine to pick things up. You might even lose some weight and cut your food bill. On the other hand, you also might be back in another thread asking about getting to sleep at night.

j/k

When I asked my PCP, she said regular aerobic exercise was one way to deal with it. I do that, it seems to work, but also have an afternoon shot of espresso.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

harley, according to the nutritionist at work water works best.

Maybe she needs to read what you read :-)
Old 05-27-2015, 10:31 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Sex.
If that doesn't work, try beer and/or bacon.