Join Early Retirement Today

Know any cures for afternoon blahs?
Old 05-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Know any cures for afternoon blahs?

When I quit the corporate slog 5 years ago, I hoped to find a cure for the afternoon blahs that hit me every day at work around 3, requiring a pack of peanut M&Ms (or 3!) and some coffee to make it to 5:00. Now 5 years into retirement, I hit the same wall most days. From 8am-2pm I'm a rock star of energy with enthusiasm and drive for almost anything - projects, exercise, free lance work on occasion, you name it. From 3ish to 6ish I'm useless, and then I sometimes get some energy back in the evenings.

I'm in my early 50s, I sleep well most nights, and I have about 40 lbs too much weight (220lbs on a 6'1" frame) lately, but I had this problem when I was thinner too. Has anybody else had this energy pattern and solved it? Maybe it's just human nature - the Spaniards take siestas maybe for a reason? A short nap revives me sometimes too, but not always.

I'd appreciate any tips!! (Yes, I have at least given up the daily M&Ms!)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
John467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Take a nap.
Quest4Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:50 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest4Fire View Post
Take a nap.
+1
Old 05-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For god's sake man, take a nap!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Most men with a 17 inch neck and over 200 lbs. snore. And most snorers need to go through a sleep study to see if they have sleep apnea.

I know a gentleman that'd go to sleep sitting at a red light. After a couple of wrecks, he was grounded from driving. He had severe sleep apnea--essentially choking in his sleep

I was found to have moderate sleep apnea, and it is a mofst common condition. I sleep on a CPAP machine at night, and my afternoon "downs" are seldom experienced. I can also sleep less and feel so much better upon waking up.

The greatest thing about going on CPAP is that users will live longer--not choking while sleeping. And the risk of having to undergo open heart surgery decreases dramatically. And users feel so much better.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #6

You sound like a 'morning person'. It's perfectly normal for people who get up early last me you to want a nap. Cave men did it, you can too!

What better thing to do in retirement but listen to what your body needs and do it!
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

What do you eat for lunch? I stopped having the afternoon drowsiness when I figured out I was intolerant and went off gluten. Not that I'm super energetic or anything, but I don't have crashes anymore.
Chelhxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Good points everyone. Naps work sometimes, unless I let them go to long . . .

The lunch idea is good too. I'm going to try a week at a time of eliminating various things - gluten, dairy, etc. I knew a high power exec who just ate an apple every day for lunch, ostensibly for weight control, but I never saw him hit the wall at 3pm

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
John467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #9

Sex.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #10

What does blood sugar level look like ?
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #11

John, Sounds like you need to lose the weight and stop eating M & M's. Poor diet can make you feel sluggish.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #12

have a beer. a good hearty one. then take a nap.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Add me to the nap list. I take one every day from about 3 or 3:30 to 5. Best sleep I get all day (and night).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

You may want to try napping, but maybe best to shed some pounds for overall health.
Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:03 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cut out foods with lots of sugar. That made a big difference for me. My energy level is much more consistent and is sustained for longer through the day. Soft drinks and candy were the big ones for me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-26-2015, 12:13 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I'm a nap person. It is easier than eating healthy. But actually eating less fat and carbs does does seem to make me less sleepy. I made a super healthy crock pot meal last week filled with all sorts of veggies, beans and a bit of meat and did have extra energy in the afternoons. I need to eat like that more often. But I don't think I will stop taking naps. I get recharged and get more done the days I have naps.

I used to really hit a wall every afternoon when the kids were younger when I often needed to be driving car pools, and found out I had iron deficiency anemia, which was correctable once I was diagnosed.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:19 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a morning person and my energy drops around 3 or 4 p.m. I know I need to gets things done before that time. I like napping as well but I think it's just my natural metabolism. I dreaded the hours between 3 and 6 at work. In my mind and body, I was done for the day. For me, anytime after 3 is downtime. If I get a burst of energy, great, if not I don't sweat it.

Always include some protein with your meals and snacks. Sugary foods give you a temp rush but bring you even further into low energy. I would also recommend getting your fasting blood sugars checked.
LinCella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:52 AM   #18

Sounds to me like too many carbohydrates in your lunch. When you come down from the sugar high 2 or 3 hours later, you get that feeling.

If your diet doesn't include a lot of carbs a few hours before your afternoon dip, then I don't know.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:57 AM   #19

+1 on cutting out sugar and carbohybrates.

Try eating no sugar for just one week and reducing your carbohydrate intake by 50%. Increase protein intake. See what that does. Don't fight the dip with a sugar rush, you'll get a new dip.

For me it meant going from afternoon "collapse" (after eating e.g. spaghetti) to a bundle of energy all day.

Not that anything is wrong with napping. I had a few weeks a while back (and I'm just 35y) where I wanted to doze off during the day. It went away by itself.

And just for safety: have a diabetes checkup.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:12 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I'm the same way, early and late energy, but really tired in the (in my case) late afternoon. It doesn't appear to have anything to with diet, and I was the same way when I was working. A nap works great, although I have to set an alarm so I don't sleep too much. Too much nap makes me sluggish and grouchy. I think it's just my/your natural rhythm. Accommodate it and you'll feel fine.

You don't say anything about your night sleep habits. I'm usually awake until about 1-2 AM, and get up by 8. So a nap is the perfect way to fill in the missing hour or so of healthy sleep. It's usually my best sleep of the day, too. Don't worry about all those telling you that you have to stay awake all day and accomplish stuff, then sleep at night. It's just the oppressive majority trying to force us square pegs into their round holes. They did it with lefties and other groups of weirdos too. If you listened to them you'd still be working.